South Point 400 Preview Article (2x)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
South Point 400 Preview and Best Bet

NASCAR Cup Series: South Point 400
Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 7 p.m. ET (NBCSN) at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in Las Vegas, Nevada

Playoff Update

The last race at Bristol brought the Round of 16 to its conclusion.

After that race, four drivers were eliminated from playoff contention: Tyler Reddick, Aric Almirola, Kurt Busch, and Michael McDowell.

While you can still back them, it seems silly to do so because they have less reason to be motivated. Plus, it must feel deflating to be eliminated from the playoffs.

So, for our betting, we will only consider the 12 drivers that remain in contention.

Like the Round of 16, the Round of 12 consists in three races. The same requirements for advancing into the next round exist: drivers must win one of the three races or advance on point total.

Race Info

For Sunday's event, drivers must complete a total of 267 laps.

As has nearly always been the case this season, there will be three stages for this event.

Stage.1 concludes upon completion of Lap 80. Stage 2 requires 87 more laps. Stage 3 finishes upon completion of the 267th lap.

An entry list is conventionally published for the upcoming race.

38 teams/drivers form a part of the published entry list. So, barring any unforeseen occurrences, we already know which drivers will compete in this race.

The starting lineup for the upcoming race gets published every Wednesday morning.

This is a rare track in which starting position has so little importance because of the width of the track. This track extends four-wide.

Therefore, you should place negligible importance on the starting lineup for your betting.

Track Info

The Las Vegas Motor Speedway is a tri-oval asphalt track that requires 1.5 miles per lap.

So, in completing 267 laps, drivers will have accrued just over 400 miles.

This track enjoys a nice amount of banking which is progressive. The turns are banked, progressively, from 12 to 12 degrees.

Banking encourages speed because drivers use the higher banking to corral momentum for their vehicles.

With the progressive banking at this track, the idea for which was conceived in 2006, there is more side-by-side competition, which again underscores the lack of significance of starting position at this track.

Driver To Avoid

One driver I recommend avoid investing in is Denny Hamlin.

Before last year, which was an unusually fast year for him overall, he consistently struggled at this track, failing in five straight tries to finish higher than 10th.

In his career, he has never won at this track. His average finishing position here is 12.89, making it statistically one his absolute worst tracks to race on.

My Guy

One guy I like is Martin Truex Jr.

I value consistency because consistency equates to reliability and I want to invest in drivers who I can trust.

Truex Jr. is worth investing in for this race because he is consistently good at this track.

He finished top-eight in seven of his last eight tries at this track. He also finished top-six in six of those eight races. Moreover, he finished top-four in five of those eight attempts.

While his overall average finishing position at this track isn't exactly inspiring and makes it easier to under value him, this particular statistic reflects his early-career struggles here.

Career statistics are not worth looking at without qualification because, as in Truex Jr.'s case, they may cause one to overlook more recent history.

Clearly, Truex Jr. has figured things out at Las Vegas.

At Bovada, you have the opportunity to bet on Truex Jr. to finish ahead of a guy I don't like here, Denny Hamlin. For the above reasons, I recommend betting on Truex Jr. in his match-up against Hamlin.

Best Bet: Truex Jr. To Finish Ahead of Hamlin at -105 with Bovada

South Point 400 Odds and Expert Picks

NASCAR Cup Series: South Point 400
Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 7 p.m. ET (NBCSN) at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in Las Vegas, Nevada

Playoff Update

The last race at Bristol was the final one in the Round of 16.

After that race, four drivers -- Tyler Reddick, Aric Almirola, Kurt Busch, and Michael McDowell -- were eliminated from playoff contention.

While you can still bet on them at the Online Sports Betting Sites, I recommend ignoring the possibility to do so because they have less to race for. Plus, it must feel deflating to be eliminated from the playoffs and this just happened to them.

So, for our betting, we will only consider the 12 drivers that remain in playoff contention.

Like the Round of 16, the Round of 12 consists in three races. The requirements for advancing into the next round are the same: drivers must win one of the three races or accrue enough points.

Race Info

Sunday's race requires drivers to complete 267 laps.

As has just about always been the case this season, there will be three stages for this event.

Stage.1 consists in the first 80 laps. Stage 2 requires 80 more laps. Stage 3 finishes upon completion of the 267th lap.

An entry list is conventionally published for the upcoming race.

38 teams/drivers are included in the published entry list. So, barring any unforeseen occurrences, we already know which drivers will compete in this race.

The starting lineup gets published every Wednesday morning for the upcoming race.

Track Info

The Las Vegas Motor Speedway is a tri-oval asphalt track that 1.5 miles-long.

So, in completing 267 laps, drivers will have accumulated about 400 miles.

This track enjoys a relatively positive amount of banking. The banking is also progressive. The turns are banked, progressively, from 12 to 20 degrees.

More banking encourages higher speeds because drivers collect more momentum for their cars by taking advantage of the banking

Progressive banking at this track allows for more side-by-side racing. The potential for side-by-side racing here underscores the insignificance of starting position at this track.

This is a rare track in which starting position is so unimportant because it is so wide. This track extends four-wide, which is a very rare feature.

Therefore, you should not consider the starting lineup to be decisive for your betting.

Driver To Avoid

One driver I recommend you avoid investing in Chase Elliott.

I cannot believe that the price on Elliott to win is what it is (currently +800 at Bovada).

My main reason for disbelief is his unambiguously awful history at this track.

His average finishing position at Las Vegas is 20.56. This average is so poor despite the fact that his average starting position here is 8.8.

Most recently, in his last three races here, he finished 13th, 22nd, and 26th, respectively.

Given these historical facts, he seems very overrated and overvalued by the oddsmakers at this track.

My Guy

One guy I like here is Brad Keselowski. With view to the available match-up betting opportunities, I like him to finish ahead of Ryan Blaney.

To be fair, Blaney is not bad at this track. But every assessment of quality has to be made relatively because such is the nature of competition.

Blaney never been so strong at this track. His highest finishing position is fifth.

In contrast, Keselowski has a superb history here that sets him apart from Blaney.

His most recent finish here was second place, which is a consistent accomplishment for him here.

He finished top-three in four of his last six races at Las Vegas. It is his second-best racing track as measured by finishing position.

For the above reasons, bet on Keselowski to finish ahead of Blaney.

Best Bet: Keselowski To Finish Ahead of Blaney at -105 with Bovada

For tonight I took:
Hemric -110 over Harrison Burton
Gragson -115 over Harrison Burton

Last edited:
Byron, Truex, Almirola to the rear for failing inspection.

I took:
Elliott -134 over Harvick
Keselowski -110 & -105 over Logano x2
DiBenedetto -125 over Chastain
Buescher +115 over Almirola x2 (I bet this before inspections, but the number is still available)
Byron -120 over Logano (I bet this before inspections)
Byron -115 over Harvick (I bet this before inspections)

No bet to win as I feel Larson will win but he is under +300 now.

Back