South Florida vs Central Florida 13.5

halfpoint

Pretty much a regular
Obvious play is on USF after week 1 performances.

But as we witness from Vandy last night, a home team with a good defense catching double digits is something to consider.

UCF returns 9 starters on defense. Their problem is their offense as it looked lethargic last week against a team I didn't know existed.

The only blowout loss last year for UCF was at USF. A game where EVERYTHING went wrong for UCF and EVERYTHING went right for USF.

In 2006 when USF went 9-4 and UCF 4-8 USF only won 24-17. It was 17-17 with about 3 minutes left.

Taking the 13.5 points with a home team with a strong defense may be the play here.

What do you cowboys think?

UCF is a risk/reward defense, especially the secondary if I remember correctly. They gamble and go for the big plays (INT's) instead of doing the right thing sometimes.

If Matt Groethe has pissed me off over his career, it's because he's got goofy INT's. I don't know if he forces it, or just doesn't see it all the time, but he's INT prone.

I'm leaning the -13.5, but it's all going to come down to ball control and whether or not Groethe throws it away. I hate gambling on risk/reward defenses.

Is UCF's defense really that good just because they return nine starters? USF has a mobile QB, a talented WR, a decent RB, and the Bulls front seven is one of the best in the nation. Add some sloppy conditions in Fla this weekend, and I can easily see UCF laying a goose egg.

The question in this game is USF's offense.

I just don't get a good feeling about this game either way and I am therefore staying away. Could really see it going either way.

10 starters for USF Return from there Offense and 8 or 9 from the Defense. Secondary loss was Big for USF. UCF Offense is very bad. Crowd 50/50 alot of USF fans going to Orlando for this game. USF wins this one big in my Humble opinion.

PD - 7 returners on defense for USF. Offense returns 8

USF defense:
The defense, the cornerstone of South Florida’s recent boom, is undergoing some changes, particularly up the middle and at cornerback. Exhausted eligibility took a bite out the interior of the defensive line, while marking the end of the careers of three all-league standouts, LB Ben Moffitt and corners Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams.

Defensive Line
Strength: Selvie. A machine of a pass rusher, he blows up opposing gameplans while making everyone around him more effective at their own jobs. He has to keep producing to help out the young line.
Weakness: Depth. This is a huge issue for a line that had a wealth of veteran reserves a year ago. The Bulls don’t have a single backup with any relevant minutes, which could haunt the defense and exhaust the starters throughout the season.

Linebackers:
Outlook: While it might take a month for the unit to get used to life without Moffitt, there’s enough talent inside and out for it to work through the rough patches. Now that Moffitt, Stephen Nicholas, and Pat St. Louis are all gone, it’s time for McKenzie to evolve into the leading man of the USF linebacker corps.

Secondary
Outlook: While you don’t get better by losing NFL corners Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams, South Florida is hardly destitute in the defensive backfield. The safeties are talented enough to cheat over at times, and Roberts and Murphy might surprise people with their ball skills and athletic ability. The first real test will be Sept. 12, when Kansas travels to Raymond James Stadium.

The USF OL is big and experienced. My guess is they'll try to pound the ball with Ford behind the big'ns. However, the UCF secondary is very good and will allow the linebackers to help out stopping the run.

I think it's going to be a low-scoring slugfest. I think taking the 13.5 is the play.

I just don't get a good feeling about this game either way and I am therefore staying away. Could really see it going either way.

I've made the same decision, after thinking this would be a UCF play for me.

I have to say I still like SFla minus the points here. UCF is missing one HUGE component from last year...anyone remember some dude named Kevin Smith?? UCF is losing almost 3000 yards rushing from last year. SFla stuffed them w/ Smith last year.

Back