South Carolina vs Tennessee Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Labor of Love. Now I need to study for my exam tomorrow. Hopefully that hasn't affected quality. Feel free to discuss and BOL

Expect Defensive Battle Between South Carolina and Tennessee

Tennessee (3-2) hosts South Carolina (4-2) this Saturday at 12:00 PM ET. The Vols are favored by 2.5 or 3 points. The game total is between 49 and 48.

The Gamecocks lack the offense with which to consistently produce scoring drives. Sophomore quarterback Jake Bentley is a rising superstar but still a raw talent. He is inconsistent in his performance because he often misses wide open throws and struggles to overcome mechanical issues. He especially likes to throw outside the pocket, but fails to punctually set his feet in order to deliver a proper throw.

Head Coach Will Muschamp openly insists on having a balanced offense. However, the rushing attack lacks talent. South Carolina is 104th in rush yards per attempt. The offense line, of which three starters are 'questionable' to play vs Tennessee, has suffered with injury, position changes, lack of experience and lack of chemistry.

Tennessee's second-year defensive coordinator Bob Schoop already has a history of establishing top-ranked secondaries at North Carolina. This season, the Vols held Florida's Feleipe Franks to 149 passing yards before his last-second Hail Mary. They held Georgia's Jake Fromm to 7/15 for 84 yards and an interception. Tennessee has the defensive tools to contain South Carolina's offensive strength, the pass attack, with a rejuvenated belief in a 4-3 defense that matches up well against South Carolina's pro-style offense.

The Vols' secondary is experienced, talented and deep. Three of their top four pass defenders, all upperclassmen, return. They also added former All-ACC defensive back, Shaq Wiggins, who contributes playmaking ability, leadership and competitive fire. Sophomore Blue-chipper Nigel Warrior is making an immediate impact with tackles, passes defensed and forced fumbles.

The strong safety Warrior matches up well against South Carolina's tight end, Hayden Hurst. Warrior utilizes his physicality to jam and otherwise contain bigger receivers. He has big-play ability with his ball skills and uses his range to cover extensive ground. Decisive will be his ability to read the quarterback's eyes, especially due to Bentley's tendency to stare down his target.

At linebacker, former Walk-on Colton Jumper has been a positive surprise with 7.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks. Even though Tennessee's linebacking corps and defensive line are thinned due to departure and injury, Jumper epitomizes Schoop's ability to turn underrated recruits into high-quality players. The Vols are 1st in team sack percentage and 26th in sacks achieved per game.

Tennessee's offense, which has mustered 17 points in its last two games against UMass and Georgia combined, is a work-in-progress. Freshman Jarrett Guarantano will make his first career start at quarterback.

Guarantano was a four-star recruit, a raw talent. He loves to run outside the pocket and excels at making plays with his legs. He struggles with accuracy, but expect him to replicate his short stint against Georgia, where he went 6/7 for 16 yards. He focused on throwing short, easy passes.

John Kelly is a reliable running back for Tennessee. He utilizes his strong lower body and ability to churn in order to gain extra yardage. He shows vision and patience in finding open holes and ably breaks through contact. Tennessee surely wishes that they had utilized Kelly more often last year: in their loss at South Carolina Kelly ran only 14 times, but for 94 yards.

In South Carolina's two losses, the opposing rush attacks combined for 96 carries. Tennessee thus has the blueprint to succeed against South Carolina by utilizing Kelly and, with a freshman quarterback, the necessity to keep running. The Vols' offensive line is experienced, except for the impressively developing left tackle Drew Richmond, and five-star right guard Trey Smith.

South Carolina's defensive line, ranked 83rd in sacks per game, continues to struggle from last season in creating havoc. Despite thinness at linebacker, the run defense will be extra focused against Kelly.

Two stars are seminal to South Carolina's containment of Kelly. Linebacker T.J. Brunson leads the team in tackles. Defensive End D.J. Wonnum leads the team with 6.5 tackles for loss and 2 sacks. Brunson rapidly exploits open gaps while Wonnum utilizes his explosiveness off the edge. Both utilize their speed, athleticism and aggression in pursuit to make big plays.

The Verdict

Neither team's offense is reliable. South Carolina trusts a passing attack that is mired by Bentley's inconsistency, lack of support from the run game and offensive line, and the loss of its top playmaker. Tennessee's defensive strength has the secondary to contain the Gamecocks' passing attack, which should struggle to achieve big plays. Tennessee's already out-of-sorts offense must break in a new quarterback and will ride Kelly against South Carolina's respectable defense.

NCAAF Pick: 'Under' 49 points

I look forward to our SC friend chipping in. Despite my promotion to write more articles I seem to be losing the freedom to choose which games I want to cover, as I wanted neither this game nor yesterday's not that that should reduce from article quality. I was initially uncomfortable with this game due to the suspicion that Tennessee's players may not be giving effort. Upon researching, I think that the effort is there, especially on defense, but that the offense has deep issues. I think this is the play to make on the game. I initially leaned UT, sharing vk's contrarian reasoning for the spot. But I just can't trust UT, considering what they are showing offensively and how they are choosing to move forward now.

VC, I think you missed two major points: Coaching & Turnovers. Although it is impossible to cap TOs. The coaching mismatch is blatantly obvious. One point that backs your recommendation is the bye week UT is coming off. Home field could factor, but the Vol fans are abundantly tired of the coach talk with nothing to show. The under seems like a good play, but I see it for different reasons. GL with your play.

VC, I think you missed two major points: Coaching & Turnovers. Although it is impossible to cap TOs. The coaching mismatch is blatantly obvious. One point that backs your recommendation is the bye week UT is coming off. Home field could factor, but the Vol fans are abundantly tired of the coach talk with nothing to show. The under seems like a good play, but I see it for different reasons. GL with your play.

Thought of both. I feel like (?) I talked about both aspects, as well as I could within the 800 words. UT replaced Darmody partly due to his proclivity for INT's. UT isn't known for fumbling. They should be fine on that end with a conservative rush attack. Talked about their DC, I llke his system and the effort that his defense is giving--the score vs Georgia was misleading and the course of that game (by my perception) attests to my respect for UT's D and lack thereof for their O

What are your reasons for the 'under' Amigo?

the likelihood of vols losing the turnover battle is pretty high.

They really just need to run the ball and keep running it. I understand what SC has achieved in the way of turnovers like against Arky and Mizzou. But I don't think that's something you can bank on and I didn't want that one prospect to deter me, especially as turnovers, depending on the mere fortune of timing, could just as well aid as hurt an 'under.'

Please understand friends that I am actually encouraged to write only 650 words. I can only explain so many points in 800 words. I'm just defending my article, if I were criticized for missing something in it. I love the discussion; please don't think I don't.

I always kind of wondered how you pick the games, if they were games you liked the best, but now I know that they are selected for you. Who do you write for?

I probably play one total a week, so not much of my thing, but the under sounds good here. Kind of like the 24-17 SC-aTm game, or like the UK-SC game. Could envision SC scoring a bit more maybe.

I'm not fearful of the Tenn D. Comparing Franks and Fromm's output to what Bentley potentially can or will do probably isn't appropriate with Franks and Fromm both having limited experience compared to that of Bentley. Also Georgia asks Fromm to do so little. The SC O goes through Bentley which is not the case with UF or UGA. So the results UT D had vs those QBs may not be similar here. Still though, Tenn D is good enough to not get shredded by SC and SC O isn't good enough to really use the word shred in the same sentence. Could see SC getting into the upper 20s and maybe Tenn is stuck in the lower 20s, or worse, the teens. Think there are alot more likable variables surrounding SC compared to Ten, but do have some nervousness about just taking SC. Maybe if I can get some more pts I can.

Tennessee is just not a good football team in any way shape or form.

I always kind of wondered how you pick the games, if they were games you liked the best, but now I know that they are selected for you. Who do you write for?

I probably play one total a week, so not much of my thing, but the under sounds good here. Kind of like the 24-17 SC-aTm game, or like the UK-SC game. Could envision SC scoring a bit more maybe.

I'm not fearful of the Tenn D. Comparing Franks and Fromm's output to what Bentley potentially can or will do probably isn't appropriate with Franks and Fromm both having limited experience compared to that of Bentley. Also Georgia asks Fromm to do so little. The SC O goes through Bentley which is not the case with UF or UGA. So the results UT D had vs those QBs may not be similar here. Still though, Tenn D is good enough to not get shredded by SC and SC O isn't good enough to really use the word shred in the same sentence. Could see SC getting into the upper 20s and maybe Tenn is stuck in the lower 20s, or worse, the teens. Think there are alot more likable variables surrounding SC compared to Ten, but do have some nervousness about just taking SC. Maybe if I can get some more pts I can.

Tennessee is just not a good football team in any way shape or form.

I make a list of requests and they try to keep them or at least choose something close like I wanted to do Sparty/Minnesota so they gave me two other big 10 teams. Tomorrow I get my wish. I'm not sure i'm allowed by the mods to say who I write for

I by no means intend to use transitory property and say because UT did well vs Franks and Fromm they'll do well vs Bentley. It's just the only two recognizable QB's that they faced and its a more detailed way of explaining how their pass D is rated higher than their run D. You could criticize people when they cite rankings as using transitory property. Nobody should play with that fool's logic.

I don't think UT's D is anything special but I think SC's O is even more subpar overall and think UT's defensive strength effectively counters SC's offensive strength

Last edited:
Good grab on Under 49, I think I agree with the call and am considering taking the 47 still. The awful kicking game for SC will likely play a factor here. I also think that Roper will tighten up the play calling some, but I could be wrong about that. I have a hard time seeing this going similar to the Arkansas game. About the only way I see this going over is if it is a blowout by either team which seems unlikely, or maybe multiple short field scores which is likely.

Just grabbed Gamecocks but amazing call. I was going to still take it this morning but sa 45.5 and was already invested but dead on the spot man good job

Nice under. Seems like wherever we were talking about this game it was always a pissing match SC vs Tenn, but your under call was the best angle on the game. Well played.

Back