South Carolina @ Kentucky

E.T.G.

One of trus baby mommas
Big win over Ole Miss for South Carolina. Its the type of win that can give them a lot of momentum going into this weeks game. I predicted an 8-4 season before the year and now at the half-way mark the team sit at 4-2, I thought they could be 5-1 at this point but it is what it is. There is still the chance to do it (8wins), they are just going to have to find wins against UK, Arky, Tenn, and Clem to do so but its still very possible.

Ole Miss had 2 very impressive drives to start the game, they picked up 148yds and 14 points in doing so. South Carolina made adjustments, made some big plays on defense, and they held Miss to 3 points and around 150yds in the 2nd half. South Carolina WR's as a whole played a very good game, especially WR Jason Barnes with some incredible catches. McKinley looks to be alright going forward and pretty close to 100%. I think the OL deserves some credit as well, they still do some stupid shit like 2 false starts, but for the most part, the Ole Miss DL got no where near Smelley, they did get 3 sacks, but they brought a lot of pressure on those plays. They (OL) still need to run block better though but this should be an improving unit as the year goes forward as well as the whole offense. The offense is still made up of a lot of younger players seeing their first real year of action (LT, C, RG, QB, 2WR).

Kentucky comes out of the Bama game with a 17-14 loss that I see some of their fans treating as a "moral victory". Yes, they did lose to a team ranked #2 by only 3 points and I hope that is why I get some value in this game this weekend. I'm not totally surprised the game was close though, this was a major let-down spot for Bama and they didn't play sound-mistake free football like they did when routing UGA 31-0 in the first half. Bama had 3 turnovers, 2 missed FG's, and 10penalties for 92yds but they did run for over 300yds with their RB's. The UK offense has had a bit of a struggle this year and I don't think they matchup well against South Carolina defense. To give SC defense trouble you have to be very fast and use a lot of read & mis direction plays because they are aggressive and often have trouble over-pursuing. UK has a more traditional look and these types of offenses are the ones SC does good against. The UK defense is pretty good, their DL is pretty strong, they have an excellent cover-corner (Lindley?) but I think it will be a unit who eventually gets gassed in this game. UK has some players who didn't play against Bama so keep an eye on those injuries (LB Johnson, QB/WR Cobb).

I don't think UK should be favored in this game when the line comes out. How much should SC lay? I would say right now SC-4 is a solid line. South Carolina has not been out-gained in a game this year and really don't expect UK to be the team to do it. I won't even use the word "letdown" or "look-ahead" in this post, there is no letdown from winning a game over Ole Miss, that was a momentum builder and there is no "look-ahead" to LSU when you are South Carolina, you are not good enough and the coaches will do a good job of making this a 1-game at a time approach. South Carolina has won the last 8 meetings.

Will update this thread with articles for the week.

This link is for highlights of the SC-OM game, trying to find something similar for the UK-Bama game:

http://blip.tv/file/1322264/

Last edited:
That Vegas Insider number has UK-2 as the opening. I will be on this game as soon as it hits the greek.

Big win over Ole Miss for South Carolina. Its the type of win that can give them a lot of momentum going into this weeks game. I predicted an 8-4 season before the year and now at the half-way mark the team sit at 4-2, I thought they could be 5-1 at this point but it is what it is. There is still the chance to do it (8wins), they are just going to have to find wins against UK, Arky, Tenn, and Clem to do so but its still very possible.

Ole Miss had 2 very impressive drives to start the game, they picked up 148yds and 14 points in doing so. South Carolina made adjustments, made some big plays on defense, and they held Miss to 3 points and around 150yds in the 2nd half. South Carolina WR's as a whole played a very good game, especially WR Jason Barnes with some incredible catches. McKinley looks to be alright going forward and pretty close to 100%. I think the OL deserves some credit as well, they still do some stupid shit like 2 false starts, but for the most part, the Ole Miss DL got no where near Smelley, they did get 3 sacks, but they brought a lot of pressure on those plays. They (OL) still need to run block better though but this should be an improving unit as the year goes forward as well as the whole offense. The offense is still made up of a lot of younger players seeing their first real year of action (LT, C, RG, QB, 2WR).

Kentucky comes out of the Bama game with a 17-14 loss that I see some of their fans treating as a "moral victory". Yes, they did lose to a team ranked #2 by only 3 points and I hope that is why I get some value in this game this weekend. I'm not totally surprised the game was close though, this was a major let-down spot for Bama and they didn't play sound-mistake free football like they did when routing UGA 31-0 in the first half. Bama had 3 turnovers, 2 missed FG's, and 10penalties for 92yds but they did run for over 300yds with their RB's. The UK offense has had a bit of a struggle this year and I don't think they matchup well against South Carolina defense. To give SC defense trouble you have to be very fast and use a lot of read & mis direction plays because they are aggressive and often have trouble over-pursuing. UK has a more traditional look and these types of offenses are the ones SC does good against. The UK defense is pretty good, their DL is pretty strong, they have an excellent cover-corner (Lindley?) but I think it will be a unit who eventually gets gassed in this game. UK has some players who didn't play against Bama so keep an eye on those injuries (LB Johnson, QB/WR Cobb).

I don't think UK should be favored in this game when the line comes out. How much should SC lay? I would say right now SC-4 is a solid line. South Carolina has not been out-gained in a game this year and really don't expect UK to be the team to do it. I won't even use the word "letdown" or "look-ahead" in this post, there is no letdown from winning a game over Ole Miss, that was a momentum builder and there is no "look-ahead" to LSU when you are South Carolina, you are not good enough and the coaches will do a good job of making this a 1-game at a time approach. South Carolina has won the last 8 meetings.

Will update this thread with articles for the week.

This link is for highlights of the SC-OM game, trying to find something similar for the UK-Bama game:

http://blip.tv/file/1322264/

I agree that UK will struggle to score against SC defense, but with your QB situation, dont look for SC to score alot. Field position, and special teams will decide this one, so when capping make sure you look at those 2. I say Uk wins by a field goal. You are right about injuries, we get our best offensive lineman back, along with our best LB (JOhnson), and one of our most gifted athletes (Cobb).

October 6, 2008

SAVING THE SEASON

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("Saving the season
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Saving the season "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Saving the season"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
David Cloninger
GamecockCentral.com Staff Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

The smiles of relief on South Carolina's sideline could be seen from the Hubble telescope.

One exact year since their last SEC win, the Gamecocks finally won another. Following the 31-24 win at Ole Miss on Saturday, USC exploded from its sideline and began clapping each other on the back.

About time, they seemed to be saying.

For one week, at least, no one has to think about what could have happened.

"We went out there and played hard," said cornerback Carlos Thomas, who clinched the game by intercepting Rebels quarterback Jevan Snead on his final drive. "We're going to go to practice (today) and get better, get ready for the next game. Hopefully we can win out this season."

USC improved to 4-2, notching its first SEC win of the season after two straight drops. The win was the Gamecocks' third in a row and seemed to reverse the fortunes of a sagging club.

Simply, dropping the Ole Miss game would have been a death knell. At 3-3, still having to face LSU, Tennessee, Florida and Clemson, the Gamecocks could have been checking in for early retirement.

Instead, they overcame their mistakes and took advantage of every one of the opponent's. A game USC had to have was a game it got.

"It was a good team victory," coach Steve Spurrier said. "A lot of guys contributed, a lot of game balls in the locker room."

Before the Ole Miss game, USC was forced into its 2005 mode -- win this week, then worry about where you are afterward. That season featured five straight wins after an 0-3 league start, a perch that put the Gamecocks into the Independence Bowl in Spurrier's first season.

With the win in hand, the Gamecocks aren't looking ahead but they can begin planning the rest of the season. Up next is a game at another similarly matched team -- Kentucky on Saturday -- and then a return home vs. LSU before the first bye week.

USC isn't looking ahead, far from it. But the Gamecocks are thinking they can erase that sour start, even win the games they may not be picked to win and still produce a memorable year.

"I really felt like the team's intensity, we got our intensity up," receiver Kenny McKinley said. "I can't wait until next week."

It can be traced to something sorely lacking, especially offensively, for the first five games of the year. Against the Rebels, the Gamecocks found their confidence.

They still had some screwups, true, but overall they waited for a ***** in Ole Miss' armor and then immediately took advantage of it. The defense, which gave up its national No. 1 ranking but collected three turnovers, set the bar and the offense, led by a vastly improved Chris Smelley, matched it.

When it was over, the smiles, laughs, handshakes, hugs and salutes to the adoring fans were evident of just how much the Gamecocks had been through, two straight losses and two straight middling wins a rough four weeks to digest. But even as the celebration continued, USC seemed to be holding something back.

Keep the composure, the theme seemed to read. Still got a way to go, and this win means nothing without another next week.

Linebacker Jasper Brinkley, after an afternoon of plowing his way to eight tackles, concurred.

"The game's going to be based on how we keep our composure," he said, previewing the tilt with the Wildcats. "We're back where we want to be, and we have to keep staying there."

October 6, 2008

UP NEXT: Kentucky

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("Up Next: Reversal of Roles For Kentucky
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Up Next: Reversal of Roles For Kentucky "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Up Next: Reversal of Roles For Kentucky"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Scott Hood
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

Rich Brooks loves offense just as much as the next guy, but even he realizes the foundation of this year's Kentucky team is a stout defense.

Brooks predicted at SEC Media Days in July that the Wildcats' defense in 2008 would be the best of his six seasons in Lexington, saying, "we have depth, competition and experience" throughout the unit.

So far, he's proven to be a prophet.

In the last three seasons, Kentucky has finished 10th (2007), 12th (2006) and 12th (2005) in total defense in the SEC. The 2005 and 2006 units were particularly awful, ending up dead last both years in the conference in all four major team defensive categories.

Around the league, the Wildcats had a reputation a couple of years ago for being soft on defense and high-scoring on offense.

This year, though, has seen a reversal of roles for the two units. Kentucky has exhibited a dramatic improvement on defense, even if they've largely been untested in its first three home games against Norfolk State (38-3), Middle Tennessee (20-14) and Western Kentucky (41-3).

Led by linebacker Johnnie Williams, Kentucky is fifth in the SEC in sacks with 12.

"With the exception of the Middle Tennessee game, (our pass rush) has been very, very good all year with the four down linemen," Brooks said. "They have given us the best pass rush that I've had since I've been here. It's not always all about sacks, it's about disrupting the timing of the quarterback, getting hits on his and hurrying his decision making process."

In their two stiffest tests of the season, the Wildcats held the Louisville offense off the scoreboard in an impressive season-opening 27-2 victory on Aug. 31.

Last Saturday, Kentucky surrendered 282 rushing yards to Alabama in a disappointing 17-14 loss to the Crimson Tide in Tuscaloosa that snapped UK's perfect start to the season. However, the Wildcats neutralized the Alabama passing attack, limiting the Tide to 106 yards through the air, and forced three turnovers.

"They gave up some rushing yards but they didn't give up many passing yards," USC head coach Steve Spurrier said. "They play a lot of man-to-man and play it well. They probably play it as well as anybody we've played this year."

Kentucky is the leader nationally in scoring defense (7.8 ppg) by surrendering more than three points just twice in five games this season, as well as third in passing defense (144.4 ypg) behind the Gamecocks and national leader Arizona.

Moreover, Kentucky's defense has yet to allow a touchdown in the redzone this season in six opportunities by opposing offenses.

"Their team speed really jumps out at you," Spurrier said. "They're faster than the Kentucky teams of the past. Their guys are athletic. They have a SEC-looking defense right now. That's the best way to say it. They've gotten better defensively each year under Coach Brooks."

Overall, Kentucky is 12th nationally and fourth in the SEC in total defense (259.4 ypg). And they've done it lately without one of their top defensive players, middle linebacker Micah Johnson, who hasn't played since suffering a high ankle sprain in the Middle Tennessee game Sept. 13 and is questionable for Saturday's contest against the Gamecocks.

Also, defensive tackle Ricky Lumpkin played sparingly against Alabama and didn't appear to aggravate his own high ankle sprain injury, Brooks said.

In short, the Kentucky team that South Carolina (4-2) will meet Saturday at 12:30 p.m. at Commonwealth Stadium appears to be much more talented defensively compared to the one that invaded Williams-Brice Stadium last October.

With the loss to Alabama already in the books, the Wildcats will fall to 0-2 in conference play unless they manage to find a way to beat the Gamecocks in front of their home fans.

"This is a huge game for us if we want to be a factor in the SEC race," Brooks sad. "We just need to step up with help from our fans and get back on track. We did not play well last week and we need to get better."

Last October, the Wildcats were flying high with a No. 8 national ranking in the major polls behind a high-octane offense featuring quarterback Andre Woodson, wide receiver Keenan Burton and running back Rafael Little.

But a pair of fumble returns for touchdowns by Eric Norwood sparked USC's upset 38-23 win at Williams-Brice Stadium, knocking the Wildcats from the Top 10. That had been the Gamecocks' last SEC victory until this past weekend at Ole Miss.

"Last year, we got the two defensive scores and that's the reason we beat them," Spurrier said. "I'm sure they're going to try to take care of the ball a lot better this year when we play them. We're looking forward to seeing if we can improve on last week's performance."

Now, the UK offense is spearheaded by unheralded quarterback Mike Hartline, who assumed the starting job after Curtis Pulley was dismissed from the team in August following another brush with the law.

With its offensive line battling injuries, Kentucky managed just 35 rushing yards on 20 attempts in the loss to Alabama while Hartline completed 20 of 42 passes for 241 yards and pair of touchdown passes, including a 48-yarder to DeMOreo Ford streaking down the right sideline with 40 seconds left that sliced the deficit to three.

However, the ensuing onsides kick bounced out of bounds to give Alabama the ball and the hard-fought win. The way Kentucky's first loss of the season unfolded didn't please Brooks, who is 29-36 overall with the Wildcats.

"I didn't think we played anywhere close to our ability in that game," Brooks said. "Not to take anything away from Alabama because they probably feel the same way. But we did not play a great game by any way or shape of the imagination."

Offensively, Kentucky enters this week's game against USC ranked ninth in rushing offense (142.6 ypg) and eighth in passing offense (194.2 ypg) in the SEC. Neither number pleases Brooks.

"I felt we'd run the ball better than we've run it, absolutely," Brooks said. "Some of that was predicated on the fact I thought our quarterback would be a bigger factor in the run game but that really hasn't transpired. We have not thrown the ball well enough to keep the heat off the numbers in the box. People have been packing it in on us and with the rotations in the offensive line, the continuity hasn't really come along."

Hartline, a redshirt sophomore from Canton, OH, has completed 55.8 percent (92 of 165) of his passes for 874 yards and five touchdowns with two interceptions thus far this season. His average of 174.8 passing yards per game ranks sixth among SEC quarterbacks just behind USC QB Chris Smelley, who is fifth with an average of 195.2 passing yards per game after throwing for 327 yards and three touchdowns in the 31-24 win over Ole Miss.

The running back responsibilities for Kentucky are split between Derrick Locke (227 yards) and Alfonso Smith (169 yards), who have combined for 41.2 percent of the total carries this season. Locke is also one of the top kickoff returners in the nation with an average of 38.0 yards on six returns. He has 578 yards of total offense, tops on the Wildcats.

Unlike previous years, Kentucky has just one serious receiving threat in 2008. Senior Dicky Lyons, a Louisiana native, has a SEC leading 31 receptions (more than double the second leading receiver) for 252 yards in five games.

Kentucky seeks to snap an eight-game losing streak to USC on Saturday. The Wildcats haven't beaten the Gamecocks since 1999, a source of frustration for many within the UK program. Steve Spurrier is a perfect 15-0 against the Wildcats in his head-coaching career.

"I know I haven't beaten them in five years, so it's not too hard to do the math," Brooks said. "I think that there have been some close games in that time span, but by and large based on where the overall (team) records have finished the last couple of years, I'd say it shouldn't be that way. But it has been and we obviously need to do something about it."

The USC defense is statistically just as prolific as Kentucky's, ranking sixth nationally in total defense (244.7 ypg) and second nationally in pass defense (128.0 ypg) after yielding 361 total yards to Ole Miss in Saturday's 31-24 victory in Oxford. The Rebels gained 243 yards through the air.

"Their defense is one of the best in the league and therefore in the country," Brooks said. "Their total defense (is) second in the league behind Tennessee. So that doesn't speak well for us trying to get our offense on track."

UK guys, if you can, keep the status of your injured players updated in this thread.

I thought I read OL Jefferies was hurt, Johnson was questionable, Cobb is likely to play?

Played both So Car and Kentucky last week so here is what I think . South Carolina should absoluetly be favored here IMO by -3. Alabama offense needs help from its defense and to Kentucky's credit they stayed away from mistakes after the defensive TD but that backed up vs that type of defense even if they punt you figure great field position for Bama and at least 3 pts (plus it followed a Bama fumble inside the 5 which could have been 7pts). Wildcats showed just how good there defense is but the Wildcat offense is pretty soft . Have dont much in the 1st half from what I recall at Losuiville , at Bama and even home vs WKU where of 17 pts they had a 100yd kick return and 46 or so yd FG . I expected SoCar to be a PK @ Ole miss but Ole Miss was a ateam that scared me . Kentucky offense is not anywhere near Ole Miss but the defense is that good.

Bama missed 2 short FGs and fumbled inside the 10 of kentucky so good chunk of points left out and allowing Kentucky to hang around eventually they made a few plays.

Still concerned with SoCar sloppy plays missing a short FG and throwing a pick inside the red zone . All about the SC offense here they scored basically on 5 of 7 possessions and should have scored on the other 2 as well.

:cheers:

Looking for you UK guys to confirm this.

OL Stuart Hines has a cartilage tear & is out.
OL Marcus Beets not yet known, but likely out.

Micah Johnson is doubtful?

Randall Cobb is likely to go?

Played both So Car and Kentucky last week so here is what I think . South Carolina should absoluetly be favored here IMO by -3. Alabama offense needs help from its defense and to Kentucky's credit they stayed away from mistakes after the defensive TD but that backed up vs that type of defense even if they punt you figure great field position for Bama and at least 3 pts (plus it followed a Bama fumble inside the 5 which could have been 7pts). Wildcats showed just how good there defense is but the Wildcat offense is pretty soft . Have dont much in the 1st half from what I recall at Losuiville , at Bama and even home vs WKU where of 17 pts they had a 100yd kick return and 46 or so yd FG . I expected SoCar to be a PK @ Ole miss but Ole Miss was a ateam that scared me . Kentucky offense is not anywhere near Ole Miss but the defense is that good.

Bama missed 2 short FGs and fumbled inside the 10 of kentucky so good chunk of points left out and allowing Kentucky to hang around eventually they made a few plays.

Still concerned with SoCar sloppy plays missing a short FG and throwing a pick inside the red zone . All about the SC offense here they scored basically on 5 of 7 possessions and should have scored on the other 2 as well.

:cheers:

Agree with most everything you say Nut.

SC continues to make dumb mistakes (2 false starts-one on 1st and goal, Smelley INT) but I do feel like they are gradually getting better upfront and from there everything else will improve. Usually K Succop is pretty money so I was shocked to see him miss that FG. SC only punted one time against Ole Miss so that is always good. Again, SC has not been outgained in a game this year.

I do think UK has a solid defense but I think their offense is going to struggle a lot more than SC offense is going to struggle.

Update on Beets, Hines

Kentucky Football Notebook
<!-- PHOTO TABLE BEGINS HERE --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=155 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5 rowSpan=2>
spacer.gif
</TD><TD align=middle width=150><!--REPLACE WITH PHOTO-->
spacer.gif

<!--REPLACE WITH CAPTION-->
spacer.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- PHOTO TABLE ENDS HERE -->
Oct. 6, 2008
<!-- LINKS TO RELATED PAGES BEGIN --><!-- LINKS TO RELATED PAGES END -->
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Coach Rich Brooks has updated the status of right guards Jess Beets and Stuart Hines, who sustained knee injuries in Saturday's game at Alabama.
Beets will not require surgery, but has a bruised knee and is questionable for this week's game vs. South Carolina. Hines has a cartilage injury, will undergo surgery on Tuesday, and will be out for an indefinite period of time.
Beets, a senior from Dove Canyon, Calif., has started all five games at right guard. Hines, a redshirt freshman from Bowling Green, Ky., has been playing in a reserve role.
Ulinski, Thomas, Johnson are Scouts of the Week: Offensive lineman Dave Ulinski, linebacker Antonio Thomas and linebacker William Johnson are the scout team players of the week, Coach Rich Brooks has announced.
The players were selected for their performance in helping the team prepare for the Alabama game. Ulinski, a freshman from Louisville, Ky., and Thomas, a redshirt freshman from Cowpens, S.C., were recognized for offense and defense, respectively. Johnson, a freshman from Nashville, Tenn., was picked for his work on special teams.
<!-- STORY AD BEGINS HERE -->

INJURY REPORT
The Cats' offensive line is quickly becoming an area of major concern after injuries ravaged them again against Alabama. Brooks said Monday that guards Stuart Hines and Jess Beets both sustained knee injuries and are likely out this week.

Hines tore cartilage in his knee, will undergo surgery on Tuesday and be out "several" games. Team doctors were still waiting on results of Beets' MRI but Brooks said he wasn't very encouraged it would yield a better report than Hines' tests.

With starting right tackle Justin Jeffries already out with a torn MCL in his knee the unit is scrambling to find capable bodies against a tough South Carolina defense. It appears as though Brad Durham will start at right tackle, while Billy Joe Murphy could slide inside to guard. UK will also move Jake Lanefski from center to guard, as well as look at Michael Williams and Marcus Davis there.

"Losing two guys at this point at the same position hurts a group that has struggled with continuity in the offensive line so we will have to make some adjustments there as we work our way through practice the next few days," Brooks said.

"We've got on scholarship just like everyone else so we expect them to go in there and do their job. Its becoming more difficult and all of the sudden you've got a whole bunch of different problems you're dealing with. You've just got to do it, that's all."

UK could have some good news with the possible returns of defensive tackle Ricky Lumpkin and quarterback/receiver Randall Cobb from high ankle sprains but Brooks said neither would be 100 percent. The word was not so good on linebacker Micah Johnson, who is still doubtful to play with his ankle injury. UK will also likely be without receiver DeMoreo Ford because of a sternum/shoulder injury suffered on his 48-yard touchdown catch against Alabama.

<SCRIPT language=javascript>if (getCookie("HideSigs") != 1) {document.writeln('');} </SCRIPT>

this is pretty much redundant since you covered the injury report in the last post, but thought the quotes from locke were profound..

c&p from ksr...

Couple of Notes from the Media chat today….

Stuart Hines is out with a torn cartilage in his knee….could miss the rest of the season. More loss on a depleted offensive line.

— Rich Brooks mentioned that we will likely see both Lumpkin and Randall Cobb this week. It is still assumed that for Cobb, that position would be at WR.

Billy Joe Murphy is likely to lose his starting spot, probably to Brad Durham

— Matt May reports that Danny Trevathan may end up becoming a true Freshman starter at LB, after an injury to Michael Schwindel, the backup to Micah Johnson.

Ashton Cobb is officially back on the team and will play.

Demoreo Ford “Where Price Sells Cars” is likely out of the game this weekend and his reps will probably go to Matt Roark.

— Finally, Derrick Locke may have caused some concern today with some comments he made about the offensive gameplan. From the Courier Journal:

“I feel like we’re getting better (offensively), but honestly I feel like we’re relying too much on the pass game,” Locke said. “I don’t know if it’s coach not trusting us with the run game. I really don’t know, but I feel like the running backs need some more touches.”

“They keep saying we’ve got to establish the run game,” Locke said. “Well, we’re really not running. We haven’t had a running back that had over 100 yards rushing (in a game) yet. You can’t get that with six carries, four carries, three carries. You just can’t make it happen."

“You’ve got to let your running back get in the groove. You want to establish a rushing game, a run game, you’ve got to hand us the ball. You’ve got to hand us the ball. We can’t just pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass and then all of the sudden run three or four times, run five times and have your running back get six carries. The rushing game is not going to get established that way.”

Ouch Derrick….got any feelings you wanna share?

I don't blame the kid. He gets no touches, and has to split carries with Tony Dixon, which is just a travesty in itself. Locke should be getting 15+ touches on the ground per game, not to mention whatever Hartline throws to him.

You can't get a RB in a groove when you're constantly rotating 3 of them out there, either. It needs to be about 75% Locke and 25% Smith, as far as I'm concerned. And we need to do a better job of mixing up the run and pass on 1st down, and running in typical passing situations.

lindetrain is Locke the smaller stature guy that LSU couldnt get a hold of last year?
If so, I am with you that guy was very elusive and got so low he picked up 3-4 extra yards on most carries.

Yep.. kid is tough as nails, hits the hole hard, runs low to the ground, and is very elusive as you said. he's also a track star at uk, competing in the long jump, 100-meter dash, and 4x100 meter relay.. set the Kentucky freshman long-jump record during the indoor season with a leap of 25 feet, 5 1/4 inches ... Set the school outdoor long-jump record at 25 feet, 3 1/4 inches

Cobb, Lumpkin, and Michah Johnson all three will play this week. I look for some special plays to be added to the playbook to get Cobb 5 or 6 touches on offense. Also, look for locke to get he carries he has ask for, Joker Phillips knows Locke is the best back he has, but was trying to play the Sr Dixon more because of experience, but there comes a time when you put your best players on the field and let them play. The next 2 games for Uk are very important in getting bowl qualified, so look for alot of the game plancentered around UK's best play makers in Cobb and Locke. With the exception of Dicky Lyons jr, the Wr spot has been inconsistent to say the least.

October 7, 2008

Press Conference Notebook: Why Not Us

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("PC Notebook: Why Not Us still in effect
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "PC Notebook: Why Not Us still in effect "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "PC Notebook: Why Not Us still in effect"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
David Cloninger

'Why Not Us?' is still South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier's motto, even though the question hasn't yet been answered.

"I still believe 'Why Not Us,'" Spurrier said during his Tuesday press conference, previewing Saturday's game at Kentucky (4-1, 0-1 SEC). "Like I said, it's very early. Ifs and buts, we can't if and but.

"We wish we weren't 4-2, but that's not the worst record in the country. It's not the best. And we had our chances a couple of games and we won a game we could have lost. We've won a couple we could have lost. Nah, we're not quite there yet. No question about that. And don't profess to be there yet."

Ever since Spurrier took the job in November 2004 and uttered the line, made famous by the Boston Red Sox that same season, it's become a catchphrase in Columbia. T-shirts, bumper stickers, yard signs, the works were sold with each bearing the phrase.

The Gamecocks (4-2, 1-2) have had three straight bowl-eligible seasons under Spurrier and Spurrier is the ninth-winningest coach in USC history (25). He should pass No. 8 (Sol Metzger, 26) and perhaps No. 7 (Warren Giese, 28) this year.

USC has also had a non-losing record for the past four seasons. If the Gamecocks finish .500 or better this year, it'll be the second-longest such streak in school history, following the period from 1928-34, when USC had seven straight winning seasons under coach Billy Laval.

Still, 'Why Not Us' was followed by Spurrier saying USC had the facilities, the fans, the talent. It's getting there, but it's still not there, going into Year Four Under the Visor.

"Well, 'there' is the top of the Eastern Division," Spurrier said. "That's where we hope to be, and certainly, statistically, we're much better than we've ever been around here. Especially on defense. We lost two close games and we're not going to have a decent year until we win those. We won a close one last week and we're going to play a lot of close ones. So we're not there winning the close ones yet.

"We're there competitive-wise, we don't go to the ballpark worrying somebody's going to blow out South Carolina anymore. We're just concerned with making a play or two to win the game. That's where we are competitive-wise. I certainly think we can improve there. Where we want to be is winning an SEC someday."

With three straight wins and a renewed confidence, USC gets a chance to get back on that track on Saturday. The Gamecocks may already be too far gone to realistically challenge for the SEC, but the chance, however slight, is still there.

"We've got to keep it going," defensive end Clifton Geathers said. "Got to keep on going. We're on a goal to get to the SEC championship."

COMMITMENT LEVEL: Getting to the point of challenging for constant SEC titles will take a concerted commitment level, as Spurrier has preached since he took the job. On Tuesday, he again stressed the Gamecocks are still working on getting to that height.

Not that the team is ripped with dissension and laziness -- it's just that some players are still having trouble getting their acts together.

"W have 85 on scholarship and about 20, 25 walk-on players who do a super job also, very good job," Spurrier said. "They all have a little different level of commitment.

"You wish that all of them were 100 percent. We do have a lot of 100 percent guys. We have some 95 percenters, some 90, and then out of 85, you have about your eight 50-60 percent guys. You have to … you either weed them out or let them know that's not going to work here. We're still working on it, still working on got to weed them out somehow, let them transfer, go somewhere else or get with the program."

Spurrier used his hands to illustrate where the commitment level needed to be, stretching his arms above his head. The lowest point was just south of his chin.

"Walk-on kids, they don't miss anything. They're the 100 percent guys," Spurrier said. "Some of the lazy scholarship guys, you're right, the commitment level's just not what you need. You hope to change it and a lot of them will change over time, but if they don't after a while, you've just got to file them or put them on the scout team and when renewal time comes up, sometimes you just have to say, 'We don't have room for you now, you can't get with our program.' If they can't get with your program, then you have a reason to not renew them. Pretty simple. Guy won't go to workouts, won't do this. He doesn't have any reason to complain if he's not renewed."

BIG HITS: After Geathers and Chris Culliver each caused turnovers last week, leading to a combined 81 return yards and a touchdown, Spurrier credited the defense's increased emphasis on turnovers. The hard knocks that have helped out – including Akeem Auguste's headhunting hit that turned a completion into a dropped pass – were also rewarded.

"I know (defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson) and the defensive coaches emphasize turnovers, and we really haven't gotten that many until last week," Spurrier said. "I guess Culliver hit the guy on about the 5-yard line, and E. Cook scooped it up. And then Clifton Geathers, the quarterback had the ball in one way, I don't know if he was getting ready to throw it or not, but Clifton was able to knock it out, and (Nathan Pepper) picked it up and scored."

Pepper's touchdown, the first in three tries where something horrible didn't happen to the player afterward, was a bright spot. Spurrier pointed out that against Kentucky last year, Eric Norwood turned the tide with two fumble returns for touchdowns, but the Gamecocks also had a Pepper-y play.

"Weslye Saunders catches that little pass, runs down there," Spurrier said. "He didn't really let up, but he could sense the guy was behind him. His coach Ray (Rychleski) said he should've just covered it up and sprinted into the end zone. I said, 'Well, of course he should have.'

"But he just lumbered in there, and their guy poked it out, and it was their ball on the 20-yard line. So hopefully we've learned to sprint through the end zone. Although, was it two weeks ago, Brian Maddox didn't really sprint through, and raised the ball at about the 3-yard line. So maybe he got the message that's not the way we want to play around here, because he didn't play last week. But maybe this week he'll be back in there."

TURNOVER BATTLE: Ole Miss' three turnovers last week pushed USC to No. 100 nationally in turnover margin, peaking this week at –5. Vanderbilt remained No. 1 nationally at +9.

Coincidentally, the Commodores remain statistically the worst offensive team in the SEC and the tenth-lowest defensive unit. Yet, they're undefeated.

"But the team with fewer turnovers, it seems like that statistic is almost the most important now," Spurrier said. "It used to be the team that has the most rushing yards always wins the game. But I believe it's come down to the turnovers, I really do."

PALMETTO POWER: Kentucky coach Rich Brooks has habitually scoured South Carolina for football talent, as evidenced by the nine Palmetto State natives on his roster. Antwane Glenn (Pacolet/Broome High School), Calvin Harrison (Columbia/Richland Northeast), Ventrell Jenkins (Columbia/Columbia), Matt Lentz (Simpsonville/Greenville), Gene McCaskill (Chester/Chester), Cartier Rice (Duncan/Byrnes), Donte Rumph (St. Matthews/Calhoun County), Antonio Thomas (Cowpens/Broome) and Taylor Wyndham (Swansea/Swansea) all hail from the state.

"Atlanta's another city that they hit pretty hard," Spurrier said. "They've gone pretty much all through the south and probably up north some also."

In addition, Wildcats running backs coach Larry Brinson coached four years at Clemson; defensive line coach Rick Petri coached defensive ends for three years at USC; and offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach/head-coach-in-waiting Joker Phillips coached at USC for one year.

NERVOUS?: Spurrier was asked about his history against Kentucky, a glittering 15-0 record. It was a pertinent query, considering Vanderbilt showed up at Williams-Brice Stadium last year and beat Spurrier for the first time.

Spurrier said history wasn't a factor, that the players would win or lose the game. Then he brought out another of his famous tales about a time he was extremely nervous about playing Kentucky.

"In fact, you talk about a nervous bunch of guys, we're playing Kentucky, to win the first-ever SEC championship, officially, in Florida history, in 1991, and it's the last conference championship that was decided at a home field," Spurrier said. "Because now, they have the championship game in Atlanta, of course. So anyway, I think we were 35-point favorites. They came down there (0-5) in the conference and we were 6-0. We only played seven back then. So we raced out to a 28-7 halftime lead and our defensive guys, I guess, started thinking about the party that night or whatever.

"But they had a quarterback, Pookie Jones, and he just ran up and down the field. Next thing I know, it's 28-26, and there's seven minutes left in the game. They kicked off and we got a hands to the facemask, right at the end of the play or something, and we had first-and-25. And we couldn't stop them. We couldn't stop them and there were seven minutes left. Shane Matthews was the quarterback and we hit a couple of little passes and it was like third-and-6 and Errict Rhett came out of the backfield and they had a little line stunt, had a guy coming right at Shane Matthews. And Errict could have run a right or a left or hooked up. And Shane threw it, fortunately, he hooked up, hit him, and he carried the ball about 2 yards for the first down. And after that, we ran the clock down to a minute and scored to win 35-26 at the end of the game.

"But that was a nervous time right there against Kentucky. So that's that story."

AND ON THE SILLY SIDE: Spurrier was asked if he paid any attention to sports talk radio or the Internet. He said no and wasn't aware that he was an idiot one week and a genius the next, according to some message boards.

"I turn it to the country music station and then my CDs, mostly," Spurrier said. "I know I'm not a genius. And I know why it works and why it doesn't work. I know it's looked ugly, it's looked ugly, I'm just thankful it's not as ugly as maybe these other schools right now. There's a lot of ugly offenses out there."

Asked later on about his favorite country CD, Spurrier listed Kenny Chesney as one of the most recent artists he's heard.

"Oh, I had Kenny Chesney on the other night," Spurrier said. "So I called him, somebody told me he picked us to win (Chesney was a guest on "ESPN Gameday" last week in Nashville, Tenn., and picked the Gamecocks over Ole Miss). Good to have somebody that picks you occasionally.

"I had one of his own recently, but I got a whole bunch of them. (Chris) Matlock, our equipment manager, gets them free, so he passes them out all the time to Jamie (Speronis) and I think Charles Waddell … you get any?"

Waddell, on the side of the room, shook his head.

"We got some down there for you," Spurrier said.

BIG 12 VS. SEC: The Big 12 and SEC have a combined 11 of the Top 20 teams in this week's The Associated Press poll. Spurrier was asked about some comparisons that have the Big 12 challenging the SEC for conference supremacy.

"Big 12's got a bunch of undefeated teams, don't they?," Spurrier replied. "But they haven't played each other yet. So once they start playing each other, there's a good chance everybody will have one loss maybe this year.

"Maybe Oklahoma can run the table. They appear to be the best team to me. They've clobbered everybody. They got Texas this week and there's a lot of good teams in the Big 12 this year, it appears."

INJURIES: The only significant ding-up was to tight end Jared Cook, who has a sprained ankle but should be fine for the game. Third-string quarterback Tommy Beecher strained his back during a recent weightlifting session, so if he can't travel to Kentucky, Zac Brindise could perhaps get to go.

October 7, 2008

High Ankle Sprain Trio Able to Practice

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("High ankle sprain trio able to practice
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "High ankle sprain trio able to practice "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "High ankle sprain trio able to practice"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Matt May
CatsPause.com Senior Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The House of Blue

Kentucky has waited nearly a month to get the good news that it's high ankle sprain trio would be cleared to get back on the football field in a game situation.

What's 24 more hours?

<!--Start Cobb,R vs NSU 275 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/685891.jpg', '685891.jpg', 0, 321, 275, 1, 'Freshman Randall Cobb said after Tuesday\'s practice that his injured ankle feels \"96 percent\" healed.', 'Jeff Drummond/CatsPause.com', 1223399004000, 'Cobb,R vs NSU 275', 888, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=283 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=277>
685891.jpg
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Jeff Drummond/CatsPause.com</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Freshman Randall Cobb said after Tuesday's practice that his injured ankle feels "96 percent" healed.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Cobb,R vs NSU 275 Image-->UK coach Rich Brooks said all three players - linebacker Micah Johnson, quarterback/receiver Randall Cobb and defensive tackle Ricky Lumpkin - all practiced on Tuesday but their status won't be known until the team's medical staff evaluates them before Wednesday's practice.

"The ankle guys all practiced and we'll see how they respond tomorrow," Brooks said. "They practiced pretty hard today and they looked okay, not great, but okay."

Lumpkin is the most likely to see action on Saturday after he played a handful of snaps against Alabama. Cobb was cleared to play in Tuscaloosa but said Tuesday the hard ankle brace he was wearing to protect his leg was too painful to play in.

"I could have played early on but the ankle brace was cutting into my foot," Cobb said. "It felt like there was a knife sticking into the side of my foot and later on I couldn't walk because of it. At first I had on this hard plastic brace that was cutting into it and put the other one on but it didn't help any.

"I'd say I'm about 96 percent right now. The biggest part right now is that I'm babying it a little and I'm scared to cut sometimes because I'm thinking about rolling it again but there is no pain when cutting, I just have to get over my self-consciousness. I can run routes and cut, but it's just me babying it so far. It's been frustrating."

Johnson's situation is a bit more up in the air. The Cats' playmaking middle linebacker practiced Tuesday and will have the staff holding its breath to see how the lower leg and ankle responds to the more intense workout. His return would be a huge boost to the Cats' defense because of his ability but also the fact it would allow Braxton Kelley to return to the weakside spot, an important move given reserve Mike Schwindel is out this week with a shoulder injury.

Brooks also said offensive guard Jess Beets did not practice Tuesday with a bruised knee but is expected to return on Wednesday.

For more notes and insight from today's practice, CatsPause.com subscribers can read more on The House of Blue.

October 7, 2008

Fresh Ideas May Ignite Ground Game

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("Spurrier: Fresh Ideas May Ignite Ground Game
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Spurrier: Fresh Ideas May Ignite Ground Game "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Spurrier: Fresh Ideas May Ignite Ground Game"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Scott Hood

Steve Spurrier thinks he may have a way to improve South Carolina's sluggish rushing attack – fresh ideas.

Describing USC's play-calling in the running game as 'stale,' Spurrier said Tuesday he wants to try a new approach in order to jumpstart a ground game that's presently ranked 10th in the SEC with an average of 114.8 yards per game.

"Yeah, we've struggled there. We've got to get some different plays," Spurrier said during his weekly press conference at Williams-Brice Stadium. "I think we've been real stale in our plays. Hopefully, we can get a little bit more misdirection type stuff, a little something different occasionally. We have been a little conventional too much. But, at the same time, that's what we thought we needed to do to win the game."

While he might open things up, don't expect Spurrier to start calling for a lot of reverses and trick plays. The wide receiver reverse was all but eliminated from the playbook when Chris Culliver was shifted to defense in the spring.

"Yeah, we haven't even run a reverse yet, I don't think," Spurrier said. "We're trying to figure out which receiver to give it to. But now that Kenny's back, if he's full-go, maybe we can run one or two, or fake one or two, just something like that to help the running game. We need to just run the guy around the backfield or something to maybe help out."

While scouting Kentucky this week, Spurrier said Middle Tennessee ran a reverse out of the shotgun but the ball carrier fumbled the football, giving Kentucky possession deep inside Middle Tennessee territory. The Blue Raiders ended up losing by six points.

"It looked cute and pretty and the guy went in motion, the wide receiver was in the backfield, and they fumbled the ball," Spurrier cautioned. "So you've got to weigh all your (risks) with taking care of the ball."

The only two conference teams with less productive running games than the Gamecocks right now are Mississippi State and Arkansas, two teams with a combined record of 3-7 overall, 0-4 in the SEC.

But the lack of a consistent running game hasn't arisen from a lack of effort. Three times this season USC has rushed the ball 42 times or more, the three highest single game totals during Spurrier's tenure as head coach.

The single game high of 45 carries came against UAB on Sept. 27. The Gamecocks managed 145 rushing yards, an average of 3.2 yards per attempts. Last week, USC had just 78 yards on 35 attempts against Ole Miss, a paltry 2.2 yards per rush.

Mike Davis, the seventh leading rusher in the SEC with an average of 65.4 yards per game, is the only Gamecock rusher with more than 100 yards halfway through the regular season. In fact, the second leading rusher is backup quarterback Stephen Garcia with 87 yards.

The Columbia High product has 327 yards on 73 attempts this season, an average of 4.5 yards per rush, and now stands 15 yards shy of reaching the magical 2,000-yard plateau for his career. When he does, he'll become the 14th player in school history with that many career rushing yards.

For the moment, Spurrier doesn't have the same concerns about USC's passing attack. Redshirt sophomore Chris Smelley is coming off one of his best days as a Gamecock quarterback, completing 22-of-32 passes for a career-high 327 yards and three touchdowns. It was his first 300-yard passing game in 15 career appearances, and helped earn him SEC Offensive Player of the Week honors.

Now Spurrier wants Smelley, and the entire USC offense for that matter, to go out this Saturday against Kentucky and do it again.

"Chris has not put together back-to-back really super games yet," Spurrier said. "We'll see what happens this week. Hopefully he will. We're still a pretty fragile group because we haven't put together any back-to-back decent offensive games. We've got a chance to do that. But we've got to go play and not talk about anything at all because we're a long way off from being a good offensive team."

Smelley, who is completing 63.1 percent (99-of-157) of his passes for 1,171 yards and nine touchdowns this season, should make his 12th career start on Saturday at 12:30 p.m. (Raycom) when USC squares off with SEC East rival Kentucky at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Ky.

Spurrier has declared on multiple occasions in the past that he was searching for a quarterback the rest of the team would 'rally around.' Is Smelley that quarterback?

"Yeah, I hope so," Spurrier said. "I hope we can pass-block a little bit better sometimes if we want to rally around him. We've opened the gates too many times. We can always block a lot better. If they are going to rally around their guy, they need to sort of pretend their momma's back there passing, and maybe they wouldn't fall on the ground."

But, as he usually does, Spurrier will also prepare redshirt freshman Stephen Garcia to play. Garcia did not take a snap in the win at Ole Miss. Tommy Beecher, currently the third string QB, suffered a back strain during weightlifting and likely won't be available this week.

"It's helpful if you have one quarterback and everybody knows who's going to be your quarterback," Spurrier said. "But there may be a place for Stephen Garcia to go in there and do some things this week. It just never seemed to get to that point last week. But we'll try to get Stephen ready to play Saturday if the situation calls for it. But Chris is our starting quarterback and he certainly could and hopefully goes the distance."

The Gamecocks have won eight games in a row over the Wildcats extending back to 1999.

Last Saturday afternoon in Oxford marked the return of Kenny McKinley to the lineup after sitting out three games with a hamstring injury. His expected return, together with the emergence of redshirt freshman Jason Barnes (10 catches in last two games) and sophomore Joe Hills (TD reception at Ole Miss), has raised the level of performance from the entire group of wide receivers.

"Jason has really come around the last couple of games," Spurrier said. "The past couple of weeks he's made a good effort and worked hard. We always tell our guys to be ready when your opportunity comes. So he was ready. The last two or three weeks, he has really improved. It looks like he has a chance to be a big-time receiver now."

In the Ole Miss game, Barnes showed a unique ability to make catches along the sidelines while keeping his feet inbounds.

"I don't know if I can remember a game where we caught at least five balls with one foot in bounds on the sideline," Spurrier said. "Jason Barnes had three where he got just one foot down by inches to keep drives going and so forth."

Strong competition, and the fear of standing on the sidelines watching while others play, has proven to be a great motivator for some of the wide receivers, Spurrier said.

"It's nice to have several guys trying to play receiver now," Spurrier said. "We've got competition for playing time out there right now. We've got some good competition, and guys are acting like they want to play. And it's helped all of them."

One of the beneficiaries of that has been junior Moe Brown, who had three receptions for 67 yards last Saturday, including a 34-yarder. After six games, Brown is USC's second leading receiver behind Jared Cook with 21 receptions for 334 yards.

"Moe Brown had one of his best games last week," Spurrier said. "Moe caught that little quick screen and ran for about 15 yards twice. And his blocking downfield is much improved."

Although he returned to wide receiver just a couple of weeks ago, junior Chris Hail has risen to second on the depth chart behind McKinley and ahead of redshirt freshman Matt Clements.

While the numbers are trending upwards for the offense, Spurrier continued to insist Tuesday that Smelley and the entire offense haven't approached their full potential after six games, including the win over Ole Miss when USC reached 30 points for the second time this season.

"Chris had a good game. He did not have a super game," Spurrier said. "We had some bad plays here and there that hopefully he can correct and play better. But he did make a lot of good throws and our receivers caught everything. We had a lot of good fortune in that game. Chris needs to play better though. He had some errant plays that we need to correct."

In order to maximize his ability, Spurrier insisted Smelley must continue to learn how to recognize defenses and change plays at the line of scrimmage.

"We need to audible a little bit more. Our communication skills are not very good," Spurrier said. "I think we only changed about two plays, and it wasn't that loud at Ole Miss last week. So we're working hard and we've still got a ways to go."

Spurrier saved his sharpest criticism for the much-maligned offensive line, saying he would bench a couple of current starters but the lack of quality depth prevents that.

"If they're not playing the way you're trying to coach them, the only thing you can do is put them on the bench," Spurrier said. "You can only yell and scream for so long. That's called coaching. You put them on the bench and try somebody else. When they do come back, usually they're better players. That's been my experience. I wish we had more offensive linemen to do that with because a couple of them need to go to the bench for a while. We don't think we have an equal replacement right now."

UK guys, can you update this list, and if you could, say if they are a signifcant player or not.

FYI

WR Demoreo Ford: shoulder (out) ?
OL Jess Beets: knee, playing?
OL Stuart Hines: knee (out) ?
OL Justin Jeffries: MCL (out) ?
DB Matt Lentz: ankle (doubtful again?)
LB Micah Johnson: ankle Questionable?
OL Christian Johnson: still out but not gone for the year yet?
DB Ashton Cobb: back with team following suspension but will he play?
WR Aaron Boyd: not practicing good after missing 5-6 weeks w/ mono?
DT Ricky Lumpkin: probable vs. USC but maybe 80% (per Brooks)
WR/QB Randall Cobb: probable vs. USC but maybe 80% (per Brooks)
LB Michael Schwindel: shoulder (doubtful vs. USC)?

good news for UK

October 8, 2008

Johnson Ready to Get Back on Field

Matt May
CatsPause.com Senior Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The House of Blue

If Rich Brooks seems a bit less distracted on the sidelines this week there will be a tangible reason. Micah Johnson will be on the football field and not relentless tapping his head coach on the shoulder.

<!--Start Johnson,Micah MD 250 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/673380.jpg', '673380.jpg', 0, 353, 250, 1, 'UK middle linebacker Micah Johnson is expected to start against South Carolina after missing 2.5 games with a high ankle sprain.', 'Jeff Drummond/CatsPause.com', 1223485950000, 'Johnson,Micah MD 250', 888, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=258 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=252>
673380.jpg
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Jeff Drummond/CatsPause.com</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>UK middle linebacker Micah Johnson is expected to start against South Carolina after missing 2.5 games with a high ankle sprain.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Johnson,Micah MD 250 Image-->Kentucky's middle linebacker is expected to not only see action against South Carolina this Saturday but he will likely start barring any setbacks with his injured ankle. The junior was having a breakout season before getting his right ankle taken out just before halftime of the Cats' victory over Middle Tennessee on Sept. 13.

If all goes according to plan the rest of the week the sidelines will be a much quieter place.

"It was probably the hardest thing I've had to do," Johnson said of watching the Alabama game from the sidelines. "To watch the guys go to war like that, fight like that and not be able to contribute was hard. They fought. It hurt that I felt like I could have made an impact. Guys kept asking me in the locker room if I was going to be able to play.

"Coach Brooks had said if the game was close he might put me in so I came out and warmed up and it felt alright. I probably had Coach Brooks ready to kill me because I kept asking to go in the game like six or seven times and he kept saying no, no. I'm still asking him, no. At halftime I'm asking, no."

Johnson won't have to tug at Brooks' elbow this week. The playmaking middle backer should give the Cats' a welcome physical presence in the middle of their defense and allow Braxton Kelley to shift back over to weakside linebacker against South Carolina's dangerous pass offense. Johnson, who had 17 tackles and 2.5 tackles for loss in less than 10 quarters of football, said he's chomping at the bit to get back on the field.

"I'm really excited," Johnson said. "When I got the injury I was mad because I wasn't going to be able to finish that game with the type of game I was having. I didn't expect it to keep rolling over like it has. You hear high ankle sprain but you don't really understand until it keeps rolling over.

"When I first got it the next few days after that I was doing good and felt like I would recover faster. I was moving around and walking on it fine in the boot then I had a point where it regressed a lot and was nearly back in the boot. Then it was a really slow process because you never know what is going to happen because everyone's bodies respond differently. (Trainer) Jim (Madaleno) said he's seen these for 15 years and high ankle sprains are a minimum of 21 days. I was pushing it for the Alabama game because that was only 15, 16, 18 days in. It won't be back 100 percent for the rest of the season."

Brooks said the staff will monitor Johnson's performance as the game moves along to make sure he is still moving okay on the recovering wheel.

"We'll just have to see how he does," Brooks said. "You never know. Practice is different than the game and when the contact starts flying and the stress gets on those ankles we'll just have to see if he's doing okay and if he's not then we'll have to limit what he does."

As for Johnson, he's pretty confident no one will be happier than Brooks to have him back on the field - for a variety of reasons.

"Yeah man, I can get off him now," Johnson said.

Michah Johnson, Aaron Boyd, Ashto Cobb, Randall Cobb, Ricky Lumpkin, will all play, Swindel i do not know yet, but the other guys are good to go. Randall Cobb actually played 1 play last week, and Johnson could have played. Coach Brooks, saved the players to make sure they would be ready for USC and Arkansas, 2 very important games for UK's third straight bowl game. I would say all could have played last week, even Ashton Cobb, who sat out for a suspension, which turned out to be BS.

October 8, 2008

WEDNESDAY
<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Scott Hood
GamecockCentral.com Staff Writer​
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>
Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

If you're a South Carolina football player and your last name is Cook, not much happened on Wednesday.

Tight end Jared Cook is nursing a foot injury and strong safety Emanuel Cook has a sprained ankle, forcing both to the sidelines for most of Wednesday's practice, but neither injury is considered serious and both players should resume their key roles on Saturday at 12:30 p.m. when USC squares off with Kentucky at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Ky.

"They didn't do much today but they should be fine by Saturday," USC head coach Steve Spurrier said.

Jared Cook suffered his injury during last Saturday's game at Ole Miss. However, Spurrier responded, "I'm not sure" when he was asked when Emanuel Cook incurred his injury.

"He twisted it a little bit and played throughout the game with it," Spurrier said. Despite the injury, Cook had a team-high 14 tackles in the victory over Ole Miss, the most tackles by a Gamecock player in a single game since 2004.

USC worked out for over two hours Wednesday afternoon in rain-soaked conditions on the Bluff Road practice fields.

"We had a rainy day but we had a decent practice," Spurrier said. "Sometimes, I guess, it's good to throw around some water-logged balls to teach our guys how to hold onto them and catch them and so forth."

With the quarterback question already answered, Spurrier has spent this week trying to get Chris Smelley prepared to face a talented Kentucky defense that's ranked 12th in the nation in total defense.

"He threw the wet ball pretty well today," Spurrier said. "The receivers dropped a few early, but hopefully learned how to use their belly and chest a little with their hands on a day like this."

Smelley enjoyed one of the best games of his career last weekend, completing 22 of 32 passes for 327 yards and three touchdowns to spark USC to a much-needed 31-24 victory over Ole Miss. He was honored as SEC Offensive Player of the Week on Monday.

"Yeah, that was pretty good, kind of surprising," Smelley said. "I wasn't expecting it, so I'll take it and move on and try to get better this week. We've had three good days of practice and we're getting our game-plan ready to go, so I look forward to going out there Saturday against Kentucky."

Smelley said "it definitely didn't hurt" when he was asked if the SEC honor served as a type of vindication for him after he was booed by the home crowd two weeks ago in the win over UAB.

Following the Ole Miss game, Spurrier wasted no time naming Smelley, a redshirt sophomore, as the starter for Saturday's game against SEC East foe Kentucky.

"I hope he has a real solid game this week and we can move on," Spurrier said earlier Wednesday. "I don't particularly like changing quarterbacks. Some people think I do. My philosophy of coaching is always give the next guy a chance if the guy in there is not getting it done. We're doing that a little bit with some guards this week. To me, that's the way you have to coach."

While the quarterback position appears to have stabilized with Smelley behind center, it's a different story for both guard spots. The battle for those starting roles continued in earnest on Wednesday with Terrence Campbell (right guard) and Jamon Meredith (left guard) working with the first team offensive line. Both players are expected to start at those positions on Saturday. Heath Batchelor and Lemuel Jeanpierre are the backups.

Jeanpierre has also been working as a backup to center Garrett Anderson, Spurrier said. Batchelor has six career starts, including three this season. However, Campbell has started the last three games at right guard.

"He's just got some issues," Spurrier said about Batchelor. "He's not playing super duper. He has some 'going to class' issues, little things like that. He played all right the other day, but nothing tremendously special. So we'll give Terrence Campbell another chance to start and see if he'll hold out."

Spurrier reported on Wednesday wide receiver Kenny McKinley has practiced "pretty close to full speed but not quite" this week after playing for the first time in a month last Saturday against Ole Miss.

Spurrier sees a connection between McKinley's return and the fact the USC offense had its best performance of the season four days ago in Oxford with 405 total yards. Specifically, McKinley had a huge impact on the other wide receivers.

"Certainly, Kenny's presence helped the other receivers," Spurrier said. "Jason Barnes really seemed to come into his own and become an outstanding receiver. Some of our young receivers seem to be coming around. That's been helpful to Chris Smelley and to our team."

GAMECOCKS HAVE BETTER SEC ROAD RECORD: Since Steve Spurrier took over as USC head coach soon after the 2004 season, USC is 5-8 at home against SEC opponents. But they are 7-7 on the road, including last Saturday's 31-24 victory over Ole Miss in Oxford. Spurrier struggled to explain why the Gamecocks have, apparently, played better on the road against SEC competition during his tenure.

"You can look back on all those games we've lost and you can see the two or three plays that could have turned it the other way," Spurrier said. "We didn't coach well enough or didn't play well enough or both. That's the reason. It has nothing to do with the ballparks. Our fans are super. We just haven't played or coached our best. Hopefully, we can do that this week up there (in Lexington), because that is what it's going to take, a lot of effort."

Saturday's contest at Kentucky will mark USC's third conference road game of the 2008 season. After that, they will make just one more trip to another SEC stadium, Ni. 15 at Florida. The Gamecocks host three straight SEC opponents starting Oct. 18 against defending national champion LSU. They will also play Tennessee (11/1) and Arkansas (11/8) at Williams-Brice Stadium before journeying to Gainesville.

MCKINLEY READY TO BREAK RECORD: Kenny McKinley is just four receptions away from establishing a new school record for most career receptions with 170. He will have several family members on hand Saturday in Lexington, Ky. in case he breaks Sterling Sharpe's 21-year old mark. While McKinley is glad the chase is nearly over, he originally hoped to set the mark at Williams-Brice Stadium before the home fans.

"I haven't really thought about it yet. I probably will when we get closer to game time," McKinley said. "But I haven't thought about it because if I do break it this week it's going to be an away game. It will be a great accomplishment, but I won't feel the same because I won't be at home to share it with everybody else. My family is going there. I still feel good about breaking the record. It's a great accomplishment."

His four receptions against Ole Miss pushed his season total to 13 for 118 yards and one touchdown. He had a season high six receptions in the season opener against N.C. State.

TIGHT ENDS SHOW IMPROVEMENT: USC's tight ends combined for five receptions for 97 yards in last Saturday's victory at Ole Miss. Jared Cook had three catches for 88 yards, including a 63-yard completion late in the first quarter that helped lead to a touchdown. Weslye Saunders and Larry Freeman both had one reception. For Freeman, it was his fourth career reception.

"Jared played about 56 plays and there's not many guys in the league that can block defensive backs and also block defensive ends in the same game," Rychleski said. "From that aspect, I was very pleased with Jared. Now, they told me he was a 4.3, but he got caught from behind (on the 63-yard completion), so he's getting a little bit of kidding about that. But he kept the ball high and tight, so the guy couldn't punch it out. But, quite obviously, he'd like him to score on that play."

Saunders, who missed Monday night's practice to attend a family funeral, has improved significantly in recent weeks, Rychleski said. He has five receptions for 55 yards in 2008.

"I was pleased with Weslye," Rychleski said. "He only played 12 plays and he had a dropped pass, but I was pleased because we actually put him in tough situations when we had to run the ball. I was happy with Weslye's effort. He was into the game. He cheered Jared on. He was chomping at the bit to get in more and I probably should have played him more, to be honest with you."

KENTUCKY FRUSTRATED WITH LOSING STREAK: Do you think Kentucky's eight-game losing streak to USC bothers the Wildcats? You bet. The streak is mentioned not one, not twice but three times on the front page of Kentucky's game notes. In fact, the very first sentence says, "Kentucky looks to snap an eight-game losing streak to South Carolina when it meets the Gamecocks Saturday in Commonwealth Stadium."

Kentucky players expressed dismay at continuously losing to USC when they met with the media earlier this week. The Wildcats' last win over the Gamecocks came in 1999. Moreover, Steve Spurrier is 15-0 against Kentucky in his head coaching career.

"It's frustrating because we've had chances the past couple years to beat South Carolina, and something has happened, fumbles, missed tackles, things like that," UK defensive end Jeremy Jarmon said. "We're going to try to learn from these mistakes this year. This is a must-win game, in my opinion. We lost the Alabama game, but they are on the west side. It's crucial that we don't get on a losing streak. We've lost one. We don't need to lose two. This is the biggest game of our year so far. It's a crucial, must-win game if we're going to get where we want to be."

We can still make it to the SEC championship, it's wide open. Any team can take the East this year, it's going to be interesting."

While UK tries to find a way to finally best the Gamecocks, the injuries are starting to stockpile for the Kentucky offensive line, as several players at that position are currently battling injuries. Right guards Jess Beets and Stuart Hines sustained knee injuries in last Saturday's loss at Alabama.

Beets, who started the first five games at right guard, suffered a bruised knee and is questionable for this week's game against USC. Hines, meanwhile, was diagnosed with cartilage tear in his knee earlier this week and was scheduled to undergo surgery on Tuesday morning. He will be sidelined for an indefinite period of time.

"Obviously, losing two guys at this point at the same position makes it more difficult on a group that has struggled with continuity on the offensive line," Brooks said. "We will have to make some adjustments at that position as we make our way through practice in the next few days."

In addition, wide receiver DeMoreo Ford, who caught a 48-yard TD pass from quarterback Mike Hartline with less than a minute remaining against Alabama to close the gap to three points, is doubtful for the game with strained sternal-clavicular joint. He suffered the injury on the touchdown play.

"(Ford) has been a good player for us in a lot of ways," Brooks said. "It will obviously hurt losing him this weekend. He was just getting his leg back under him from the surgery he had last spring, as was obvious by the catch he had Saturday. He is our best wide receiver blocker, handles punts and other things in the kicking game for us. So it is a loss, and a loss at a position where he was one of the experienced guys who knew what he was doing at the receiver position."

Finally, Defensive tackle Ricky Lumpkin and QB/WR Randall Cobb are nursing high ankle sprains, while linebacker Micah Johnson, who had 58 tackles last season, is questionable with a high ankle sprain. Brooks said all three players are practicing this week and could see action on Saturday.

Cobb has completed six of 11 passes for 87 yards and one touchdown this season as the backup quarterback.

"We have a package for Randall at quarterback and a package at receiver," Brooks said. "Athletically, he can really help us. He did a really good job at quarterback in the game before he got hurt. He's very fast. He's very poised and mature for a young freshman. I don't think he's going to be 100 percent coming off that ankle sprain, but even at 90m percent, he's still quicker and more athletic than a lot of our other guys."

Brooks said he was impressed reviewing game film of USC's win over Ole Miss last weekend.

"South Carolina played, I thought, their best offensive game of the year at Ole Miss," Brooks said. "We have our hands full. I was disappointed Alabama was able to run the ball as effectively as they did against us. They did have one 78-yarder for their first score. Overall, I still think the defense is the strength of our team."

NOTES:

-- Injury Update: Despite the minor injuries to both Cooks, Spurrier noted Wednesday that USC is "extremely healthy for this time of the year" and has been "very fortunate" when it comes to injuries.

-- Spurrier responded with disappointment when asked about Auburn head coach Tommy Tuberville's decision on Wednesday to fire offensive coordinator Tony Franklin, who was on the job for six games. "That's a bad part of coaching, I guess," Spurrier said. "I don't know what happened. I thought (Tuberville) was defending him the last time I heard him on a press conference. Something must have happened, I don't know. I've had some coaches try to get fired (during the season), but there are not many."

-- DE Eric Norwood will be featured Saturday on Raycom's telecast of the USC-Kentucky game as the SEC Community Service Team Player of the Week. Norwood serves as a mentor at Columbia area schools, helping children with reading and their studies. He also volunteers for various charities and has spoken at Dr. Martin Luther King Day festivities. "It's just a little stiff around the community," Norwood said.

-- The SEC office said Wednesday that the kickoff time and TV outlet for the Oct. 18 USC-LSU contest at Williams-Brice Stadium should be announced on Sunday, a week later than normal. CBS will televise the Alabama at Ole Miss game in the 3:30 slot. Thus, the game between the Gamecocks and Tigers will be shown by Raycom at 12:30 p.m. or ESPN at 7:45 p.m.

-- Former linebacker Yvan Banag is back on defense following a stint at fullback. Spurrier said safeties coach Ron Cooper 'wanted to look at him' at spur linebacker.

-- After watching Ole Miss experience some success operating from the Wild Rebel formation, which is similar to the Wild Hog offense utilized by Arkansas last season, Spurrier expects more teams to try to run the offense. "Everybody's a copycat. They can see it on tape and say, hey, think we can make it happen," Spurrier said.

-- Spurrier described Saturday's game against Kentucky as "a huge game for both teams," saying that the conference game "should be an exciting, close matchup."​

Greek lists this game as SCar -2 right now, thats a 4 point move from the opener of UK-2

Glad I got in when I did.

Will post some articles when they come up tonight after practice.

I will say, if South Carolina doesn't beat themselves with stupid turnovers, UK is going to be hard pressed to win this game.

I am pretty certain when the game is over, South Carolina has more first downs, more yards, more time of possession so UK will need to win the turnover margin and set themselves up with scores like that to win this game, maybe get a ST or defensive score but I just don't think their offense alone is capable of winning this game. I've going over the matchups in this game quite a few times and I'm pretty confident the Cocks leaving Lexington with a Win. Maybe they will make me eat my words, we will see.

Back