South Carolina @ Clemson

E.T.G.

One of trus baby mommas
Few injuries on Clemson side that should be updated as week goes along.

I believe DE Ricky Sapp is already cofirmed out with partially torn ACL.

DB Chris Clemmons is another one to keep an eye on for Clemson.

I see LVSC opened Clemson -2.5, if the Gamecocks are dogs at TheGreek when the line is released, I will be on them right away, no questions ask, despite how much I hate Chris Smelley.

Why? Clemson usually wins this game and dog has covered 3 of last 5.

Just looking for reasons to back SCar here.

Why? Clemson usually wins this game and dog has covered 3 of last 5.

Just looking for reasons to back SCar here.

Few of my reasons, SC is the dog in this game when at best it should be a Pk but I would make SC up to -4 to -4.5.

South Carolina has had the lead in the 4th Q, in all 3 of the games they've played since Spurrier has been here, they are just 1-2. Last year SC was destroyed by injuries and still almost pulled the game off if it werent for a 3rd and 18 conversion on a true frosh corner.

South Carolina is off a bye and had ample time to prepare for Clemson. Especially the defense who is facing a very non-creative offense.

I don't care what happened in the UF game, I believed South Carolina was better than Clemson before that game and I still believe it after.

Clemson only has 11 sacks on the year and their best DE is out. The South Carolina OL is bad but even they might be able to hold up and give the QB some time.

I think both teams suck at QB. Clemson has better RBs but they don't use them right. South Carolina is better at TE/WR. Both OL's suck. South Carolina has better defense. South Carolina has more bodies to throw at the Clemson OL and will create more pressure than Clemson will on South Carolina.

As much as Clemson might need this game to go to a bowl, South Carolina needs it that much more. In state rivalry they've been dominated in by Bowden, Recruiting, ending the year on a positive note, and nothing would be sweeter than to be the reason to keep Clemson at home. Clemson has 6 wins but only 1 of their D1AA wins counts for the bowls.

I would wager that Clemson has the better D and the better QB and is all around the better team. In fact, I will wager that.

Year-to-date results make Clemson 3-5 points better than USC, and those numbers reflect 6 games of underachieving under Bowden. Injuries and the open date will help USC, but USC doesn't have the same advantage it's had in each of its SEC wins -- an opponent in a big letdown spot. USC beat Ole Miss the week after the upset win over UF. USC beat UK the week after the 3-point loss in Tuscaloosa. USC beat UT the week after UT's biggest rivalry game that was their last chance to salvage the season. USC beat Arkansas the week after UA upset Tulsa.

Clemson 17
USC 10

i believe you got the right side man. like you say this game should be a PK at the very best right now.

spurrier off a humiliating loss against his former team, with a bye week to prepare against a team he would love nothing more than to pound. yea i'll take the pts and enjoy.

also as much as it pains me to say, im kinda hoping we do lose this game, cuz if we win and go bowling I am 95% sure Dabo will be our coach and that could cripple us in the very near future with the improving ACC.

I would wager that Clemson has the better D and the better QB and is all around the better team. In fact, I will wager that.

Year-to-date results make Clemson 3-5 points better than USC, and those numbers reflect 6 games of underachieving under Bowden. Injuries and the open date will help USC, but USC doesn't have the same advantage it's had in each of its SEC wins -- an opponent in a big letdown spot. USC beat Ole Miss the week after the upset win over UF. USC beat UK the week after the 3-point loss in Tuscaloosa. USC beat UT the week after UT's biggest rivalry game that was their last chance to salvage the season. USC beat Arkansas the week after UA upset Tulsa.

Clemson 17
USC 10

Time out. Where is Clemson better on defense? DL- No. LB-No. DB -No.

Clemson has 11 sacks on the year and its not because you have faced great OL's, its because your DL has trouble getting pressure on the QB and now Sapp is out so you got your true frosh prodigy in Bowers (1sack) and then you shift over Kevin Alexander at the other DE spot. The closest comparison between these 2 defenses is the secondary and I can't help but notice how easy it was for Ogletree to run around against your secondary this past weekend, yea he might of only has 6 catches for 73 yards, he was open a lot more than that. McKinley will have a field day on the deep corner routes with Cook coming underneath.

Cullen Harper (10td-12int), he has Smelley like numbers (11td-11int) on the year, This isn't 2007 when he was having the year of his life, he sucks just like Smelley sucks. Whens the last time Harper went deep with any type of accuracy? His little bubble screen/slants/outs are where 90% of his yards come from.

I can not see how you can say Clemson has the better overall team

i believe you got the right side man. like you say this game should be a PK at the very best right now.

spurrier off a humiliating loss against his former team, with a bye week to prepare against a team he would love nothing more than to pound. yea i'll take the pts and enjoy.

also as much as it pains me to say, im kinda hoping we do lose this game, cuz if we win and go bowling I am 95% sure Dabo will be our coach and that could cripple us in the very near future with the improving ACC.

def see the point that if Clemson wins, Dabo is keeping his job. Guy is a great recruiter but HC? I dunno. He shows great emotion and hes a rah-rah type guy

If Spurrier loses this game, I just don't want to even think bout it. There is no excuse this year.

How can I say Clemson has the better overall team? The results & stats say so. Against the same strength of schedule, Clemson has better offensive and defensive numbers. Clemson's special teams are also pretty good, but I don't have the numbers to compare the teams in that regard.

USC has the advantage at LB; Clemson has the better DL and DBs. I can't prove it to you; we'll just have to disagree. The game is only 6 days away, and it will all be settled on the field.

Peace.

Small minor note. After the game last yr, some Clemson fan(s) bought a billboard in Columbia with the score of the game.

sorry etg, but i'm against ya on this one as well. my thoughts reflect that of mw. scar defense has not looked nearly as good as i thought they were back in the earlier part of the year. they're definitely talented, but from what i've seen they aren't the defense that i thought could put this offense on their backs and carry them, and the offense needs that even more than i thought. clemson and under most likely for me...

sorry etg, but i'm against ya on this one as well. my thoughts reflect that of mw. scar defense has not looked nearly as good as i thought they were back in the earlier part of the year. they're definitely talented, but from what i've seen they aren't the defense that i thought could put this offense on their backs and carry them, and the offense needs that even more than i thought. clemson and under most likely for me...

I agree that the offense needs defense to help carry them but let me say that a little differently. The defense needs the offense not to kill them and constantly give the other team short fields. What I don't understand is where the dropoff on the defense occurred. Throw out the UF game, they were spotted 21 points in the 1st quarter and the team never even had a shot in that game. Clemson isn't in the same atmosphere. You have Arkansas who score 21 points, 7 on broken coverage for a 70yd TD pass and 7 in Garbage time with 2 P.I calls to keep the drive alive. They destroyed Tennessee offense. LSU benefited from SC mistakes and the defense stayed on the field way too long. UK didn't do anything special and really only scored 7 offensive points and than Ole Miss who besides UF had the most success on the defense. Ole Miss has a good QB, quirky play calling, and speed on offense, none of that fits the bill of Clemson besides Speed on offense. This Clemson offense is not good though because their OL is bad and their play calling is worse. Sure, Spiller-Davis-Kelly-Grisham all sound nice but the play calling has less creativity than almost any offense I've ever watched. Add in the fact that Harper is a shell of himself from last year and can't throw the ball deep so they protect him with out routes, wr screens, and slants. They racked up 192 total yards at UVA this past weekend. When is the last time James Davis or Spiller ran for over 100 yds? The Maryland game 7 games ago and that is horrible with those 2 talented backs. The under on the other hand, I can agree with, but I'm pretty confident SC wins this game. It would be a pretty big indictment on Spurrier if he can't win this game.

I would even argue that this game is more important for South Carolina than it is Clemson. Sure Clemson is playing for a bowl and South Carolina is already going to one, but Clemson is down this year, they lost their head coach mid year, they failed on the expectations, and Bowden owned South Carolina so Spurrier can not lose this game, it would be bad on so many levels.

I would even argue that this game is more important for South Carolina than it is Clemson. Sure Clemson is playing for a bowl and South Carolina is already going to one, but Clemson is down this year, they lost their head coach mid year, they failed on the expectations, and Bowden owned South Carolina so Spurrier can not lose this game, it would be bad on so many levels.

Just playing Devil's Advocate, but how does the above explain how this means more to So Caro than Clemson? A win here in no way improves Scary's bowl position and they have had a pretty mediocre season for the expectations they were carrying coming in if you ask me. I know it's a big rivalry, but at this point in the season, how can you say that this game is more important in the grand scheme of things for the Cocks? Dabo and the boys are playing for his potential future job and a postseason bowl to salvage something out of what was expected to be a great season. The university makes money and their great travelling fans get to go to a bowl somewhere as opposed to sitting at home. They have a shitload to play for this weekend IMO.

Just playing Devil's Advocate, but how does the above explain how this means more to So Caro than Clemson? A win here in no way improves Scary's bowl position and they have had a pretty mediocre season for the expectations they were carrying coming in if you ask me. I know it's a big rivalry, but at this point in the season, how can you say that this game is more important in the grand scheme of things for the Cocks? Dabo and the boys are playing for his potential future job and a postseason bowl to salvage something out of what was expected to be a great season. The university makes money and their great travelling fans get to go to a bowl somewhere as opposed to sitting at home. They have a shitload to play for this weekend IMO.

Flat out, Spurrier can not lose this game. He can't go 1-3 against Clemson. He can't lose to Clemson when they are down. He can't lose to an interim Head Coach. He can't lose to Clemson with 2 weeks to prepare for them. Then there is the recruiting and the kids that switched their commits from Clemson to Carolina and the future players in state looking at this game who have yet to commit. There is NO excuse what so ever for SC to lose this game to Clemson. There are the seniors who are just 1-2 or in some cases 1-3 against Clemson in their careers, there is the stinging loss last year helped by 2 blocked punts and a late 3rd and 18 conversion. Clemson is fighting to get to a bowl and what else? Finish out a disappointing season? Play for a interim Head coach? Beat a team they probably have now grown accustom to beating?

If South Carolina lost this game, I'm not sure I could be a fan any longer. I will denounce my South Carolina faithfullness. I will ask Univ of Florida fans to make me an honary member of their fan club.

Flat out, Spurrier can not lose this game. He can't go 1-3 against Clemson. He can't lose to Clemson when they are down.

But Clemson isn't down compared to recent years. Clemson's right where it's been since Rich Rodriguez left for WVU after the 2000 season: steeped in mediocrity.

How is Garcia not getting sole time at qb? Smelley is like Lee at LSU it's ridiculous. IMO Carolina could of taken UF to the 4th quarter that defense could of kept them in their.

Fellas, the numbers are even even even even steven across the board.

Both run offenses are very poor, Clemson is rated higher and with Spiller and Davis have a slight adv. The South Carolina run defense however is better than the Clemson run defense. I'm just not sure it will matter because Clemson isn't a horrible run defense and Carolina can't run.

So run offense is going to be limited.

Passing offense and defene is where it virtually a lock. 53rd pass offense is Clemson, 54 for Carolina. The effeciency for Clemson is higher, 57 to 80.

Both pass defenses are out of this world and tied every way you look at it.

I mean Clemson hasn't given up 200 yards passing all season.

---Not sure there is any side here that stands out, it is going to be a very close games and turnover's will decide it.

The UNDER is what stands out.

How is Garcia not getting sole time at qb? Smelley is like Lee at LSU it's ridiculous. IMO Carolina could of taken UF to the 4th quarter that defense could of kept them in their.

Fellas, the numbers are even even even even steven across the board.

Both run offenses are very poor, Clemson is rated higher and with Spiller and Davis have a slight adv. The South Carolina run defense however is better than the Clemson run defense. I'm just not sure it will matter because Clemson isn't a horrible run defense and Carolina can't run.

So run offense is going to be limited.

Passing offense and defene is where it virtually a lock. 53rd pass offense is Clemson, 54 for Carolina. The effeciency for Clemson is higher, 57 to 80.

Both pass defenses are out of this world and tied every way you look at it.

I mean Clemson hasn't given up 200 yards passing all season.

---Not sure there is any side here that stands out, it is going to be a very close games and turnover's will decide it.

The UNDER is what stands out.

I have no idea why Smelley still has a scholarship to be honest with you (i hate him).. Garcia should of started every game after UK and thats final. You play through his ups and downs and you let him create plays with his feet. You let him learn on the job because he hasn't had a spring practice yet. For every Ole Miss game, Smelley will have 3 games that are 3x worse. I hate the kid, honestly and I think he sucks but as long as he doesn't kill SC with costly turnovers, I know, I know, he shouldn't cripple them that much. I think Clemson's inability to create sacks should give him some time to find the open WR which will likely be McKinley or Cook. The UNDER is a good play imo but as long as I don't have to lay points with SC, I was taking them.

Last edited:
Five Initial Thoughts About The USC-Clemson Game posted by Scott Hood, Monday, November 24, 2008
<!-- posted by Scott Hood, Monday, November 24, 2008 -->
The annual South Carolina-Clemson grudge match is still five days away. However, it’s never too early to offer some thoughts on how the game will go. Here’s my five initial thoughts:

1. INJURIES WILL PLAY A FACTOR AGAIN: The USC defense was forced to play without three established starters in last year’s Clemson game: Nathan Pepper, Jasper Brinkley and Captain Munnerlyn. The Gamecocks hung in for three quarters but simply couldn’t stop the Tigers on the final drive. Then-true freshman Addison Williams, all 5-foot-8 of him, was forced to cover Clemson’s Aaron Kelley in a key situation. Physically, it was a mismatch and the result was predictable. Clemson converted a fourth-down situation with a slant pass to Kelley. Minutes later, Clemson kicked the game-winning field goal. This year, the shoe may be on the other foot with Clemson DE Ricky Sapp out for the year with a partially torn ACL. How will that affect Clemson’s pass rush? In addition, senior S Chris Clemons is questionable with a sprained knee. Even if he plays, will he be 100 percent? As far as USC is concerned, the only injuries of note are to a trio of defensive backs – Akeem Auguste (hamstring), Captain Munnerlyn (toe) and Carlos Thomas (knee). All three are expected to play.

2. THE NOON KICKOFF IS A POSITIVE SIGN FOR USC: I’ve said for a while USC plays better on the road during the day than at night. I attribute that to the fact the players are forced to get up early, have breakfast and head to the stadium when it’s day game. They have little else to think about. But, when the game is at night, the players hang around their hotel rooms all day, go to meetings, watch TV and end up playing sluggishly. The USC-Clemson game two years ago provides a good example. USC rallied to score the final 17 points of the game and pull out a 31-28 victory when Clemson missed a field goal on the final snap. When did that game kickoff? Noon. In my opinion, that comeback would not have happened had the game been played at night.

3. SPECIAL TEAMS WON’T LOSE THE GAME FOR USC: While Clemson’s final drive towards the game-winning FG received most of the publicity, USC lost last year’s game largely because they allowed two blocked punts. One of them resulted in a TD for the Tigers. I’m convinced that’s when Spurrier decided he had to make a fundamental change on his staff and hire someone to oversee special teams. Three weeks later, Ray Rychleski was hired away from Maryland. Overall, USC’s special teams are much improved over last season in many areas. As Spurrier has noted, the special team players appear more motivated and energized this season. Rychleski’s strategy to play first-teamers has paid dividends for most of the season. No, we won’t see the “Titans Throwback” play that ended in disaster at Florida, and that’s a good thing.

4. CHRIS SMELLEY IS CAPABLE OF DOING THE JOB: Yes, I’m sure many Gamecock fans buried their heads in their hands when they heard Smelley would likely start and take most of the snaps against Clemson. The Pick-6 in the first quarter against Florida was still fresh on the minds of most of those same fans. But, at this point, Spurrier has determined Smelley offers USC the best chance to beat the Tigers. I’m sure he hopes for another performance like the one Smelley delivered against Ole Miss back in early October when he threw for a career high 322 yards. Remember, that game came a week after Garcia had taken most of the snaps against UAB. Is Smelley up to the task? I think so. He’s has enough experience at this point to lead USC to a key road win. Unfortunately, though, Smelley won’t be talking about it this week since he’s off-limits to the media.

5. IT SHOULD BE A CLOSE, HARD-FOUGHT GAME AGAIN: The first three USC-Clemson games of the Spurrier Era have been decided by four (13-9), three (31-28) and two (23-21) points. If the trend continues, this year’s game will be decided by one point. It’s evident the Gamecock lethargy that marked Lou Holtz’s final three contests against Clemson (2002-2004) is long gone. USC has battled hard, though they failed to make plays in key situations in 2005 and 2007. In terms of overall talent, USC and Clemson appear to be even. Clemson has the edge on offense with C.J. Spiller and James Davis running the football, while USC appears to be a little better defensively. The result? Another down-to-the-wire game that won’t be decided until the final possession.

yep for Carolina to be 116th in sacks allowed isn't ideal for a passing offense

But for Clemson to be 102 in sacks I think is a win for Carolina.

The last 6 opponents for Carolina were top 50 in sacks.

Clemson is the worst in sacks team they have faced all season.

---Surprising when you think of Clemson you think of great defensive end whatever happened to Bowers the great freshman. They have the secondary to blitz and feel comfortable.

I would lean Carolina here.

Bye week and being SPANKED by UF will have them on level you can't get without experiencing a beatdown like that as Carolina feels like they have something to prove right now their manhood is at stake.

------field goal kickers. Succop is very good. How good is Clemson's? Field goal kicking will be VERY important.

Clemson DE Sapp out for year. Clemson heads into its season-ending rivalry against South Carolina without defensive end Ricky Sapp, who is out for the season.
Tigers coach Dabo Swinney said Sunday that Sapp partially tore the ACL in his right knee in a 13-3 victory over Virginia. The junior is expected to have surgery in the next few weeks.
Sapp started nine games this season. He had two sacks and led the team in tackles for loss with 10.

yep for Carolina to be 116th in sacks allowed isn't ideal for a passing offense

But for Clemson to be 102 in sacks I think is a win for Carolina.

The last 6 opponents for Carolina were top 50 in sacks.

Clemson is the worst in sacks team they have faced all season.

---Surprising when you think of Clemson you think of great defensive end whatever happened to Bowers the great freshman. They have the secondary to blitz and feel comfortable.

I would lean Carolina here.

Bye week and being SPANKED by UF will have them on level you can't get without experiencing a beatdown like that as Carolina feels like they have something to prove right now their manhood is at stake.

------field goal kickers. Succop is very good. How good is Clemson's? Field goal kicking will be VERY important.

As you mentioned below, Sapp is out. Bowers has 1 sack on the year and him and Kevin Alexander have been platooning but now they will each start at DE. Succop has a good leg but is worse under pressure than AROD. Bucholtz, is ok but he is limited in the distance he can kick a FG from.

like all things orange, the Clemson rivals site is Yag and doesn't let you copy/paste so I will see what I can do about gettying their articles up here

November 24, 2008

Clemson is Smelley's Game

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("SOS: Clemson is Smelley's game
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "SOS: Clemson is Smelley's game "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "SOS: Clemson is Smelley's game"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>David Cloninger
GamecockCentral.com Staff Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

Chris Smelley will apparently get the chance to do what only six other quarterbacks in South Carolina history have done -- win at Clemson's Memorial Stadium.

USC coach Steve Spurrier announced after Monday's practice that his two-headed quarterback system, which helped beat Arkansas but was non-productive in a loss to Florida, was scrapped and that Smelley, the Gamecocks' redshirt sophomore quarterback, would get the chance to play the entire game on Saturday. USC finishes the regular season playing the always intense rivalry match with Clemson, traveling to Death Valley for a noon kickoff.

"We're going to give the game to Chris Smelley, though," Spurrier said. "We're going to give him an opportunity to go out there and play the entire game. Hopefully, we're hoping he can go the distance. We'll give him every opportunity to do that.

"We're out of the two quarterback thing and Chris knows more about our offense. Hopefully he can take care of the ball well and lead our team to play the best we can."

Smelley and redshirt freshman Stephen Garcia rotated in and out during the past two games and were up and down, Smelley seeming more comfortable but not performing that well and Garcia never seeming to get into a groove. Garcia missed Monday's practice with an illness, according to Spurrier, which gave Smelley the majority of the snaps.

Spurrier answered with a wry grin when asked if Garcia would be available for Saturday, saying, "Oh, I imagine he'll be out there." Redshirt junior Tommy Beecher practiced as the Gamecocks' backup on Monday.

"Beecher's No. 2 right now," Spurrier said. "Beecher was out here with Garcia out sick. Beecher's No. 2 and got a bunch of snaps today, looked pretty good."

The Gamecocks (7-4) head into the showdown with a postseason date already clinched -- how prestigious it will be could depend on the outcome of the game, although many think USC is headed to the Outback Bowl or at worst, the Chick-fil-A bowl, no matter what. Clemson (6-5) must win to clinch a bowl bid, which combined with a victory in the rivalry game, would wipe away some of the sour taste left by a season which many marked for greatness.

Smelley could be the spoiler for that wish. He's been fantastic at times -- in a 31-24 at Ole Miss, he threw for 327 yards and three touchdowns, only missing 10 of his attempts -- and woeful at others -- his performance in the very next game against Kentucky was what elevated Garcia to first-time starter against LSU.

Only Jim Rogers, Tommy Suggs, Mike Hold, Steve Taneyhill, Anthony Wright and Blake Mitchell have ever beaten the Tigers at Clemson, Suggs and Taneyhill the only ones to earn a rare 2-0 mark in the Valley. Smelley could travel down that road of never-to-be-forgotten.

That is, if he can avoid the kind of mistakes he's been prone to make -- staying too long in the pocket under a heavy pass-rush, locking onto one receiver, throwing in desperation when an out-of-bounds pass would be the best option.

That last got him into serious trouble at Florida, a blitzed pass disappearing into Brandon Spikes' arms and turning into a touchdown and another interception setting up another touchdown.

"He hasn't done a whole bunch of that this year," Spurrier pointed out. "Hopefully that was just some bad plays. We had some bad plays. That one's history. We're regrouping and we're thankful we're 7-4."

Spurrier also stressed that the Gamecocks' record is only worse than three of the SEC's 12 teams (Alabama, Florida and Georgia, although LSU and Ole Miss have identical 7-4 records).

"We looked in the SEC standings the other day, there's only three teams that's got better records than 7-4. When you look around the country, there's a lot of parity, you know?," Spurrier said. "So some of our coaching buddies are saying, 'We wish we were 7-4.' So we're not sitting around here moaning and groaning about anything."

With a win over the Tigers, USC would finish with eight wins. Only eight times before has a USC team won eight games in a season, and a win in a bowl game would make 2008 just the third time a USC team has won nine.

"If we can finish strongly, we do have an opportunity for an excellent season," Spurrier finished.

EXTRA POINTS: The Gamecocks remained very healthy, the only yellow jersey in sight on Monday belonging to cornerback Mike Newton. The lingering bang-ups to Captain Munnerlyn, Jared Cook, Eric Baker, Carlos Thomas and Justin Sorensen did not affect any of their abilities to practice on Monday.

A few more representatives to add to the Clemson scout team list, after a report last week yielded some interesting glances -- the Tigers' C.J. Spiller is being played by D.L. Moore and Willy Korn is being played by Zac Brindise.

OTHER QUARTERBACKS WHO HAVE WON AT CLEMSON
Year Score Quarterback Comp.-Att. Yards INT TD

1964 7-3 Jim Rogers 1-1 45 0 0
1968 7-3 Tommy Suggs 17-36 193 5 0
1970 38-32 Tommy Suggs 19-29 316 3 3
1984 22-21 Mike Hold 6-24 112 0 0
1992 24-13 Steve Taneyhill 19-29 296 1 2
1994 33-7 Steve Taneyhill 14-25 226 1 2
1996 34-31 Anthony Wright 7-25 120 1 0
2006 31-28 Blake Mitchell 16-23 268 3 0
Notes: Dan Reeves started the 1964 game but was injured after going 1-for-4 for 10 yards with no TDs or INTs. Rogers finished the game.
Tommy Beecher completed one pass for 16 yards during the 2006 game but Mitchell played the rest of the game.

If you are on the fence or considering betting this game, I think the most important question to ask yourself is this:

"Should South Carolina Lose this game?"

IMO, the answer is NO. Its not cause I spent 4 yrs on my life in Columbia either. They should not lose this game. If Clemson loses this game, nothing really changes for them but if SC loses this game, the program suffers a major uppercut in a time their suppose to take the lead in the state. Spurrier can not lose this game, if he knows what is good for him. Off a bye, playing a rival who has your number, with a superior coaching staff, no SC should not lose this game. They could but they should not. Id bet SC as long as the game is a PK.

If Clemson loses this game, nothing really changes for them but if SC loses this game, the program suffers a major uppercut in a time their suppose to take the lead in the state.

If winning the game will help put USC in "the lead in the state", then losing will most definitely change things for Clemson. I mean, whom is USC trying to take the lead from?

If winning the game will help put USC in "the lead in the state", then losing will most definitely change things for Clemson. I mean, whom is USC trying to take the lead from?

Maybe I should of explained myself better. If SC don't win this game, forget trying to sell a recruit on Carolina. Dabo or whoever they may choose (Patterson) can point to the Domination by Clemson in the series, how Clemson was able to battle back this year and end their season on a good note, how Spurrier doesn't have "it" and won't be there much longer. No one will be talking about Clemson's failures on expectations if they win this game, it will be about how they saved their season, how they went on a run and finished strong..How they beat their in-state rival AGAIN. For SC, if they lose this game it puts a big red mark on another mediocre 7-5 season. Recruits are on the cusp of believing they might be able to win at Carolina, lose this game and its all gone. South Carolina has a great chance to keep Clemson home for the holidays with a win and Spurrier needs to go 2-2 against Clemson, not 1-3..South Carolina can force the coaching issue to get a little messy in the upstate with a win. A lot of people will be watching from the fence and this is one of the more important games to both programs recently.

something I just remembered, Clemson almost didn't cover last week, as i remember that Virginia had a 1st and goal was about to score at the end but time ran out....same strength of schedule?? I would definitely say South Carolina has had a much harder schedule...

Strenghth of SCHEDULE: South Carolina 41.6, Clemson 34.5

Anybody else get the feeling that winning is not even top 5 on Spurrier's list of goals?
I'm convinced he's more enamored with being "smart" than winning football games.

Funny how coaches can be perceived as great and then look like they don't know what they are doing. Alot is about situation and timing

Spurrier should not be wanted in South Carolina IMO. The guy has no clue he's living off the UF days.

Holtz did a hell lot more. you have got to get a hard ass physical tough football coach in to South Carolina.

This Smelley character is worse than Jarrett Lee and KEvin Craft.

----Didn't bet on this game besides under but was laughing same thing Smelley TO after TO. Why would you even try if your on defense?

Very piss poor coaching. YOu've got to be able to run the football.

My formal apologies to anyone who bet South Carolina.

I've said for a very long time I hate Chris Smelley and its my own fault for putting my money on this piece of shit. All he had to do in this game was not cripple South Carolina, I guess I asked too much from him.

Clemson fans, you played harder, you played faster, you wanted to win more. I'll pat you on the back for that. What I don't understand is how SC could not match the intensity, how SC could not want this game. I guess Dabo is a better motivator. South Carolina had 2 weeks to prepare but you would of thought that Clemson really had 2 weeks.

Why South Carolina came came out so shitty, is beyond me but Chris Smelley only made matters worse on his own. This kid was a former 4* recruit, his arm is worse than a 12yr old girl, and he locks on the WR like its a naked 30yr old Pam Anderson. Seriously, these people who evaluate talent need to look into other careers. Kid sucks and always has sucked.

Spurrier, it was your decision to play this piece of shit. Surely you knew what he was capable of (no mobility, weak arm, turnovers) yet you continue to play him and go back to him and let him make throws he can't make. Since you've come to South Carolina your offensive line has been terrible, your running game shoddy, and your QB's have been bad. You put all of your eggs in 1 basket with Garcia by promising him he would be the only QB you take that year and that decision has yet to pay off for you.

I turned the game off midway in the 3rd quarter, I wasn't mad since I had 2 quarters prior to that to let it sit in that this game would be a loss. My only connection to uSuC (like that clemson fans?) is that I spent 4yrs of my life in Columbia. I can't be emotionally invested in this team though and each year since I've graduated, I've gradually been able to remove that attachment. This was the final straw though for me.

I formally denounce my South Carolina fanship and I give mods full permission to ban me if I'm ever caught openly rooting for this team on the forum. I fuken hate them.

GO GATORS! 2009 NATIONAL CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!

The complete lack of effort on defense is what has me scratching my head.
I bet it, I knew what I was getting.

I'm embarrassed watching that garbage and I'm not even a fan. I mean watching these games you see some stuff that's beyond imagineable for college level football and coaching.

I think Carolina maybe UF took some bite out of them. You can come outemotional but when your stinkey Smelley garbage can of a qb starts throwing picks again it's like oh here it goes again. IMO Spurrier could be losing the team.

For sure maybe look to be against these guys in bowl game if opponent has a decent pass defense. That was big today Clemson I can't name a better pass defense. But Carolina already showed they can't come back from hard losses, would not in bowl game. This team see's how things are going, they wonder the same things the fans are wondering. AND it's been the same thing year after year. IMO they are losing faith in the coach. Spurrier has had time.

Florida win not impressive IMO South Carolina can give you free points and spiral downward like no other.

My formal apologies to anyone who bet South Carolina.

I've said for a very long time I hate Chris Smelley and its my own fault for putting my money on this piece of shit. All he had to do in this game was not cripple South Carolina, I guess I asked too much from him.

Clemson fans, you played harder, you played faster, you wanted to win more. I'll pat you on the back for that. What I don't understand is how SC could not match the intensity, how SC could not want this game. I guess Dabo is a better motivator. South Carolina had 2 weeks to prepare but you would of thought that Clemson really had 2 weeks.

Why South Carolina came came out so shitty, is beyond me but Chris Smelley only made matters worse on his own. This kid was a former 4* recruit, his arm is worse than a 12yr old girl, and he locks on the WR like its a naked 30yr old Pam Anderson. Seriously, these people who evaluate talent need to look into other careers. Kid sucks and always has sucked.

Spurrier, it was your decision to play this piece of shit. Surely you knew what he was capable of (no mobility, weak arm, turnovers) yet you continue to play him and go back to him and let him make throws he can't make. Since you've come to South Carolina your offensive line has been terrible, your running game shoddy, and your QB's have been bad. You put all of your eggs in 1 basket with Garcia by promising him he would be the only QB you take that year and that decision has yet to pay off for you.

I turned the game off midway in the 3rd quarter, I wasn't mad since I had 2 quarters prior to that to let it sit in that this game would be a loss. My only connection to uSuC (like that clemson fans?) is that I spent 4yrs of my life in Columbia. I can't be emotionally invested in this team though and each year since I've graduated, I've gradually been able to remove that attachment. This was the final straw though for me.

I formally denounce my South Carolina fanship and I give mods full permission to ban me if I'm ever caught openly rooting for this team on the forum. I fuken hate them.

GO GATORS! 2009 NATIONAL CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!

I feel your pain bro. It's like the ghost of Tammy is down there in Columbia fucking things up for your boys.

Smelley makes Blake Mitchell look like Tom Brady in the pocket. Those INT's he threw today were mind boggling.

It's a shame too, because much like Clemson, Scarry has some real nice pieces in place if they could just be coached/used properly.

Back