Sony Open - Form Sheets

Full field event.

Wild to me each year how many week 1 guys skip this. I get the course isn't great but I'm staying there as long as possible!

Spieth and Kim are both playing again after excellent showings last week.

Peeking through @BringInTheLefty sheet right now.

This sheet is great, thanks.

One quick question, what is column D, the OWGR (and has .94 above)? Is that how many points the player can expect to get for making cut or something? I’m not sure I’ve ever seen it before so just guessing as to what it may be.

Dog legs and tigh tree lines. Accuracy off the tee and the short game will be paramount. Success at harbour town translates here.

Thanks for getting this started and for that awesome spread sheet. I completely forgot to get anything in time last week. I don't love the limited field, no cut events anyway

I can't remember exactly what it was, but they mentioned on the Kapalua telecast that the Sony winner has played the week before pretty often. Looking at the past champions list, I see a lot of names that I'd believe played Kap.

I put this course in the same category as Harbour Town and Colonial, where the distance advantage is mitigated by the setup. Still can make a ton of birdies here, I JT has a round of 59 and 60 here in the last several years. Seems like Russell Henley always plays well here, I know it's the site of his first win. I read that he's the only person to win in his debut at this tournament too, outside of the first one. Webb Simpson is an interesting case. Great history at the course, but hasn't played much or very well since he had surgery last year. Kuchar is on my radar based on course history as well.

Not much value at the top. Feels like this should be a place that Spieth could win. Guys who have my attention right now are Spieth and Harman in the top tier, Billy Ho and Taylor Montgomery in the middle, and Mav McNealy, Kuchar, and Adam Svensson in the long shot tier. Svensson and Montgomery look like ripe candidates for top 20 type bets, matchups, and DFS depending on what they are, haven't looked yet.

This sheet is great, thanks.

One quick question, what is column D, the OWGR (and has .94 above)? Is that how many points the player can expect to get for making cut or something? I’m not sure I’ve ever seen it before so just guessing as to what it may be.
OWGR is the Offical World Golf Ranking

OWGR is the Offical World Golf Ranking

Yes, I understand that. But the numbers in the column are not the world ranking, they are #s ranging from 0.0 to 4.31 or whatever it is.

Kim 4.31, Spieth 4.29, Hoge 2.60, Horschel 3.63, Scott 2.37

I just can’t figure out what that number means with respect to the OWGR, but it is sure doesn’t appear to be their ranking in any way.

Ranking Points are derived from each tournament's Total Field Rating.

Ranking Points are maintained at full value for a 13-week period to place additional emphasis on recent performances.

Ranking points are then reduced in equal decrements for the remaining 91 weeks of the two-year Ranking period.

Each player is then ranked according to their average points per tournament, which is determined by dividing a player’s total number of points by the number of tournaments they have played over that two-year period.

There is a minimum divisor of 40, and a maximum divisor of a player's last 52 tournaments applied to the tournaments that the player concerned has played over the two-year ranking period.

Every player in a tournament field contributes performance points as determined by the player's individual Strokes Gained World Rating. The sum of these Performance Points determines the Total Field Rating.

RANKING POINTS

The Ranking Points Breakdown is derived from each tournament's Total Field Rating.

Ranking points are awarded to all players who make the cut and complete an event, subject to their finishing position in the tournament.

Points awarded will be fractionally greater than the Total Field Rating when more than the projected number of players make the cut and complete the tournament.

Points awarded will be fractionally less than the Total Field Rating when players who have made the cut are disqualified, retire, or withdraw from the later rounds causing the number of players completing the tournament to be less than the projected number of players to make the cut.

MAJOR CHAMPIONSHIPS

The four Majors: the Masters Tournament, PGA Championship, U.S. Open Championship, and The Open Championship, are rated separately and awarded 100 First-Place Points.

THE PLAYERS CHAMPIONSHIP

THE PLAYERS Championship is rated separately and awarded 80 First-Place Points.

STROKES GAINED WORLD RATING

A player’s Strokes Gained World Rating is based on a player’s actual scores in stroke-play events and adjusted for the relative difficulty of each round played over a rolling two-year period.

To place more emphasis on recent performances, a similar weighting system as that applied to World Ranking Points is utilised (i.e., a 13-week period of full weight, thereafter, reduced in equal decrements).

Scores from completed 18-hole round stroke-play events are eligible for inclusion in the Strokes Gained World Rating.

PERFORMANCE POINTS

Each Strokes Gained World Rating has a corresponding value of Performance Points determined by the Performance Curve.

Players with 10 or fewer recorded scores are assigned a value of 0.01 Performance Points.

Players with fewer than 50 recorded scores can each contribute a maximum of 10% of the tournament Field Rating.

PERFORMANCE CURVE

Each player's scores from stroke-play events over two years are used in a series of simulated events to determine the average Ranking Points expected per each Strokes Gained World Rating, which is then plotted to create the Performance Curve.

CURTAILED TOURNAMENTS

For tournaments curtailed to 36 holes because of inclement weather or other reasons, the points breakdown will be reduced by 75%.

A tournament will not be reduced below its historic minimum points level.

MIXED TOURNAMENTS

Shall mean a tournament that includes both men and women, playing the same course(s) but from different tees, for one prize fund on one leader board.

Only the men's individual results will be eligible for inclusion.

LIMITED FIELD TOURNAMENTS*

Limited field tournaments are defined as events with fewer than 30 players.

SPECIAL TOURNAMENTS*

Special Tournaments are defined as a tournament that is sanctioned by an Eligible Golf Tour but does not count towards the Eligible Golf Tour's end-of-season ranking list

These rankings are comprised of SG: App (27.5%) Good Drives Gained (22.5%); SG: Short Game (18%); Course History (18%); and Birdie or Better Gained (14%)

1. Tom Kim (+1200)
  2. Russell Knox (+15000)
  3. Tom Hoge (+3000)
  4. Brian Harman (+3500)
  5. Emiliano Grillo (+5000)
  6. Sungjae Im (+1200)
  7. Corey Conners (+2800)
  8. Andrew Putnam (+5000)
  9. Ben Griffin (+13000)
  10. Russell Henley (+2500)

Thanks for this @BringInTheLefty I think the following are worth a unit, followed by individual group plays to help/potentially offset initial investment.

Top 10 (all ties paid in full)
Brendon Steele +650
Adam Svensson +500
Russell Henley +200

GL this week boys.
I'm a wuss and impatient. Scratching above and one play so far- Sungjae Im top 5 after round 1, +450. 1 unit.

Add- Deki over Spieth -105, 2 units.

Went with:

Billy Ho (+110) over Hoge
T Montgomery (-105) over Mitchell
Svensson (-110) over Hughes
Kirk (-120) over Webb Simpson

Top 20:
McNealy (+125)
Kuchar (+185)
Svennson (+270)
Knox (+270)
Kirk (+300)
Harman (-130)
Montgomery (+110)

Top 10:
Spieth (+160)
Harman (+185)
Svensson (+700)

Top 5:
Montgomery +600
Svensson +1300

Need a great week from Svensson lol.

0-2 yesterday. Playing a couple of 3-ball, 1 unit each.

Kim +125 over Bradley & Hughes
Henley +150 over Hoge & Kooch

Add- Knox +220 over Short guy & Smotherman

GL boys-

Last edited:
Some tasty prices on missing the cut:

Spaun +200

Bradley +260

Hoge +240

Im +400
The two longer odds come in, so I should pocket the profit and focus on football. But where's the fun in that.

Round 3 matchups

Merritt over Sigg +105

Schenk over Knox +109

Long over taylor +113

Jaegar over McCarthy -105

....fading the hotter putter for moving day

Swing it easy fellas.

will be a shootout these final 36 holes
I’d say anyone who is currently -6 or better could win this
good luck to y’all betting this tournament

1-1-1 yesterday, picking up just under a unit. Knox +220 tied Hartman but still paid 1.6.

Day 1 bets are 1-1, winning 1 unit. My Deki v Spieth was full tourney, not 1st round..dumb luck but I’ll take it.

Harris wins +1400 pending but not looking good, shooting even yesterday but think he has a solid round of 66 or better today and should be on the first page tomorrow.

Round 3- Harris top 10 +250, 9ers -3, Bills -3, Bengals ML, +519 for 1.6 units.

Add- Spaun round 3 leader, 9ers under 45 +694 1 unit

GL today boys-

Last edited:
Waking up with a Chargers hangover this morning..0-1 yesterday.

Going with Spaun +140 over Yu, McCarthy- 2 units

Despite two front 9 bogies SW has tied him.

Two guys right behind, one back.

Need SW to shoot 3 under this 9 for win or playoff is my guess.

Went with:

Billy Ho (+110) over Hoge
T Montgomery (-105) over Mitchell
Svensson (-110) over Hughes
Kirk (-120) over Webb Simpson

Top 20:
McNealy (+125)
Kuchar (+185)
Svennson (+270)
Knox (+270)
Kirk (+300)
Harman (-130)
Montgomery (+110)

Top 10:
Spieth (+160)
Harman (+185)
Svensson (+700)

Top 5:
Montgomery +600
Svensson +1300

Need a great week from Svensson lol.
All of my matchups were decided after 2 rounds, 3 to the good, so nice I didn't have to sweat those. Whiffed on my top 5 and top 10 bets, though Montgomery was in 5th with like 4 holes to go, so not a bad bet. Top 20s worked out pretty well. with Kirk, McNealy, Kuchar, and Montgomery all cashing.

All in all a pretty good start to the season

Back