Some useful information as we head into the 2007 season...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
I had a thread very similar to this last year; mostly copying and pasting for the newbies...

Some background on the 2007 season and what it is we're trying to do here...

This will be my fourth season on the other side of the counter - though make no mistake, I'm still very much a player. I work offshore but don't have any of my own players or packages. I am paid a flat salary and no commission, so I could care less whether the players win or not. One of my main jobs in running my shop is to ensure the players don't hoodwink us - they don't lay 7 in a game that is moving to 8 all over the world at the same time - they at least lay us 7.5... I have other responsibilies as well... I make my own numbers in baseball, CFB, CBB and the Niffel - I bet the first three, but not the Niffel (you'll see a few spot plays I post on occasion), but I regress.

Betting on sports is not as difficult as you everyone makes it out to be. There is no such thing as a "trap". There are fixes, but unfortunately it's very difficult to find out about them - before or after the fact - unless large money gets bet on one side of a game and there's no two-way action. In almost every game, though, remember - there is a winner and a loser. Hit more than 53 percent of your games and you cannot lose laying -110 or less. It's pretty simple to say but much more difficult to do.

Still, "the public" or "wagerline" are about the two most meaningless words I see and/or hear on the forums or talking with friends who are not in the business. Where I work, there is post-up cash and credit cash coming in from all over the United States. We rarely shade a line because we're going to get bet on Notre Dame or Southern Cal or Tennessee or whoever every week, if you know what I mean. After the initial shade towards the super-faves, there's no need to add an additional adjustment on air; otherwise you've giving value to the dog.

Customers are getting smarter, as people are quick to check facts and stuff on the gold-mine that is the Internet. Everyone who bets a game these days and tries to take it seriously is always going to have good reasons to bet the side he likes. Increasingly these days, the money comes on the underdog. That never used to happen. Last year, it created some unreal value on favorites in the college football in Week 1. I see it happening in a few games again this year.

Some days I will have longer writeups than others. I will always try to justify the reason I bet the side I'm on. I had great success with the college football up through 2004 - but I lost in 2005 for the first time since the 90s before getting it back last fall, and then some.

Remember one thing in this business, and in life.

"Winning ain't no accident" - it was from a bookmaker down here who I respect as the BEST in the entire industry.

He's been taking big bets for years and booking for 35-plus years. That comment alone made me wake up and pay attention to my work: you're not going to win if you don't invest your time into it - not over the long haul, anyways.

Here's to a successful second season for all of us here at CTG. We're at 11 days for first kicks!!!

:cheers:

Thanks for the perspective from the dark side, Rexy. Good stuff.

Now go drink an Imperial.

Thanks fellas.

biggoob - Finally starting to lose a little; took long enough!

I need to lose about 11 more pounds. But I've lost five. Still not drinking beer... or eating after 8.... and working out about five days a week.

Not showing up like I'd like it to yet but it'll get there...

Also, for those waiting... I'll have my annual unit rankings (top 30) at each position coming out beginning tomorrow...

Where I work, there is post-up cash and credit cash coming in from all over the United States.

For my education here, would you mind explaining what is "post-up cash" and "credit cash"? And how does it "come in"?

Thanks

CKR Quote : :Customers are getting smarter, as people are quick to check facts and stuff on the gold-mine that is the Internet. Everyone who bets a game these days and tries to take it seriously is always going to have good reasons to bet the side he likes. Increasingly these days, the money comes on the underdog. That never used to happen. Last year, it created some unreal value on favorites in the college football in Week 1. I see it happening in a few games again this year.

The underdog will begin to fade as a winning play for dog bettors in general. We are BACK to real clock management and superior teams with good depth, will allow backups to add to the score this season instead of hurrying to run the clock. With the old clock rules back in place - look out for those powerhouse offenses with good players on the bench late!

Bottom line is, more playing time on the clock means more plays = more scoring by capable teams. That extra TD or two will show up on the scoreboard this year again! OH YEAH! Lay those points fellas!

CKR Quote ; :"Winning ain't no accident" - it was from a bookmaker down here who I respect as the BEST in the entire industry.

Neither is losing. "Losing". - "Its only the result of too little information at the wrong time. - G-Man"

I believe you said the same thing in my post last year, G-Man...

Cracker:

Post-up cash are players who put their money up with the shop before they bet. When they win, they get their bet back plus the winnings.

Credit players are ones who have accounts with bookmakers who choose to run their business through shops offshore. Perhaps the bookmakers give the offshore guys 10-15 percent of the biz to help book it sharper - or even more ... or they just give them a flat fee and let them run the shop, figuring the players would lose regardless.

I'm sure we have some guys here and elsewhere who have an account with a guy who has sent them to the internet to bet, then the pay and collect later - those are credit customers.

Back