Some games may be affected by the big storm this weekend

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
A lot of handicappers believe it is a fool’s errand to take the under based on bad weather and there is evidence they are right, at least when it comes to cold, rain, or snow.

Several games will be affected by bad weather this weekend. I don’t pay much attention unless there are high winds. Rain, snow, and cold don’t seem to make much difference with modern players unless the precipitation is extra heavy. But winds make a big difference. Gusty winds affect passing, punting, fielding punts, and kicking. It only takes a couple of errant passes or missed FGs to make a difference.

Here are games I’ve found so far where weather may affect the total. Handicappers who factor in weather have known about this all week so some lines are already falling. Totals on Memphis and Louisville games are down 4 points already and may drop more as weekend guys check the weather.

Wisconsin/Michigan—probably dry, wind chill in the high 20s, winds 15-30
T Tech/TCU—dry, wind chill around 50, winds 15-18 from north, whipping higher in stadium
Oklahoma/Kansas—dry, winds 20-30, wind chill in high 30s
Notre Dame/Navy—bad weather, wind chill high 20s, wind gusts to 35, rain during game
Ohio state/Illinois—wind chill high 30s, rain, winds 20-35
Louisville/Syracuse—warm, heavy rain, wind 25-40 (line opened on this one at 74 I got it at under 73, is down to 70 now)
Memphis/SMU—warm, rain, heavier as game progresses, wind steady at 20, gusts to 40 (opened at 75x, I got it at 73, down to 70 now)
W Virginia/Texas—high 40s, rain, moderate wind, 10-15 shouldn’t be much of a factor
Purdue/Iowa--dry, wind chill high 30s, winds 20-30, line on this one has actually gone up from 41 to 42x, maybe because this is pretty much standard weather for Iowa

This is a big weather front so other games are going to be affected, but these are the only ones I’ve researched so far.

I've always been a big fan of waiting on totals with rain and especially snow to get bet down then playing the overs in many of them, more a NFL strategy for me as obviously they play deeper w more chance of weather games. Often times I actually think those things can lead to more points yet it never fails when everyone starts seeing rain or snow the total starts dropping!!

Huge rain and obviously as you mentioned wind is when it becomes under or nothing. I also try and figure out whether the wind is crosswind or a end to end wind? Seems when wind blowing goalpost to goalpost you can still get some scoring from team w wind at their backs while that sideline to sideline wind pretty much a disaster on both passing games!!

T Tech/TCU—dry, wind chill around 50, winds 15-18 from north, whipping higher in stadium

Total down to 52. Don't think any total in a TT game has been below 63-ish this year.

Back