So ... what should the Browns do with the Anderson-Quinn situation

• Thread starter Thread starter tipyerbartender1
  • Start date Start date
T

tipyerbartender1

This thread can be shitcanned if the Titans lose (or if the Titans tie and Browns win), but I think the Titans win on Sunday night. I've read the tea leaves. So my prediction is Browns play it out Sunday, maybe we see Quinn in there if it's lopsided either way, but don't count on it because how often do you see a lopsided Browns game?

I do like two capable quarterbacks on a NFL team for the right price (not that we know Quinn is capable, humor me). But the Browns NEED some stuff. This isn't the salary-cap-bending 49ers with Montana and Young. This is a team with a crappy front seven on D, a jury-out secondary, a running-back whose league age is one hell of a lot older than 27 ... Browns need stuff.

Brownies MAY be able to get away with rostering both next year. The financial risks are acceptable with a glance at the salary cap. But good NFL trades just don't happen very often, and what are the chances that BOTH Quinn and Anderson are worth what they are right now? I mean, they are both sort of overvalued right now.

Anderson had a hell of a year. With exactly one hell of a year under his belt, he will have to repeat it next season to be worth something in trade.

Quinn's worth about as much as he was on draft day, which the Browns discovered when he slid was not as much as what they had thought he was worth on draft day. He can only go down unless he plays, and he won't play, not right away, if they hold on to D.A.

Watched pretty much every game. I'd trade D.A. I need more than five fingers to count position needs.

At the minimum you need next years #1 back for either of the QB's, which I don't think will happen or a first day pick (well top 3 rounds now that they changed the draft schedule) and at least one quality player in return... Say a #2 and a solid linemen or something like that.

On principle, and looking at what the Falcons got, I'd ask for the Schaub-upgrade package in return, selling the reality that Anderson turned in one hell of a season. Schaub never did that, so I'd want some more. D.A. has some attributes. Wins, big games, quick release, big arm, young. Lot of GM's out there like that, maybe the new one in South Florida.

I just think in the Browns situation, in today's NFL, you have to choose, and it's especially juicy to act now while both are probably worth peak value. Probably will not be the case next year. So I'd make a choice in their shoes, and I choose Quinn. I also love Notre Dame.

You motherfucking Browns guys crack me the fuck up.......You've got one quarterback who's led you into playoff contention from nowhere and one QB who's done shit at the most overrated fucking joke of a school in the United States and you call it a quarterback controversy. Are you people mentally ill? Have you not seen how bad the QB play in the NFL is? Anderson with his play this year has put himself into the top half of NFL QB's.....and you fuckers are wondering about that overrated pile of dog shit Brady Quinn.....

I don't get it and I don't think I ever will........the NFL is not about some Notre Dame douchebag's potential....it's about wins and losses......and Anderson gave you guys playoff contention.....how is there even a question who the started should be?

Scarf you drafted Quinn for a reason though... You liked him better than the QB's on your roster. Who knows what's going on at practice.

Little feisty there, sparky. I'm not an overreactionary guy.

a.) D.A.'s stats belie his foibles. You gotta watch the games.

b.) I'm suggesting to gamble on value that may not be there a year from now. Key word - gamble. I'll take the best two lines in the league, and the best defense. You take whoever else you want. I'll win the game.

c.) I'm partial to domers, but I wore a Browns helmet before I sat below TD Jesus.

Fondy....I hear you.....but the NFL is about production right now.....the greatest QB in the game right now was a 6th round pick and only had the chance to even see the field because Mo Lewis cracked Bledsoe's ribs.

My point is that the "greatest" of draft picks is nothing but a coin flip. Stick with the guy who's winning you games. Whether a first round QB is going to make it is the biggest guessing game in sports.

Little feisty there, sparky. I'm not an overreactionary guy.

a.) D.A.'s stats belie his foibles. You gotta watch the games.

b.) I'm suggesting to gamble on value that may not be there a year from now. Key word - gamble. I'll take the best two lines in the league, and the best defense. You take whoever else you want. I'll win the game.

c.) I'm partial to domers, but I wore a Browns helmet before I sat below TD Jesus.

Two words that'll prove your argument isn't valid.........Rick Mirer.

That guy was a walking talking piece of dogshit from the most overrated university in the United States.

I'm not saying Anderson's bad.

I'm saying from a 2008 NFL standpoint, it behooves the Browns to make a choice. They can probably, I'd guess, get more for D.A. than they gave up for him, since they basically stole him. They can't possibly get more for Quinn than they gave up for him.

So I'm suggesting gambling on Quinn. I'd rather the Browns get better, faster. I'm sure Anderson can start, I'm just saying if they want to get better in a hurry, they should trade him.

Different situation, but on the same subject of risk. Patriots went out on a limb and signed Randy Moss. Sure, the honks immediately commented about how smart they were after they did it, and especially after he blew up. Where were the honks questioning why the other teams, any team, were not signing the guy?? Most teams saw too much risk. I'm suggesting the Browns risk being wrong on Brady Quinn, which they already risked once. They just haven't seen if they lost yet.

Tip.....

The Patriots gave up a 4th round draft pick for a hall of fame talent wide receiver.......they dealt with a mentally retarded team in Oakland.

All I'm saying is that it's more productive in the NFL to stick with a guy who's proven he can win than with a guy loaded with "POTENTIAL"

No, you're looking at it from the wrong side. How come 31 other teams didn't offer a 3rd-round pick for Moss if it's that easy? They feared the risk.

If I'm sitting in Phil Savage's chair, half of my opinion just law of averages and the other half just watching the guy play, I'm saying Derek Anderson just had a good year given a good opportunity. IF someone's giving for a starting QB, I'm listening.

Two of the top 3 QBs in the league are a 6th round pick and an undrafted free agent.

So many busts in the first round I'd go with the proven QB in Anderson who has had a great first season and built some chemistry with Edwards and Winslow both young stars with breakout seasons.

I also hope Cleveland loses. I'm a Cowboy fan. Their lost last week was worth a jump in 6 draft spots almost.

They wont lose to SF... A win by 14 or more this week.

Besides, Dallas just may do a trade with that pick anyway...their defense sucks too.

On principle, and looking at what the Falcons got, I'd ask for the Schaub-upgrade package in return, selling the reality that Anderson turned in one hell of a season. Schaub never did that, so I'd want some more. D.A. has some attributes. Wins, big games, quick release, big arm, young. Lot of GM's out there like that, maybe the new one in South Florida.

I just think in the Browns situation, in today's NFL, you have to choose, and it's especially juicy to act now while both are probably worth peak value. Probably will not be the case next year. So I'd make a choice in their shoes, and I choose Quinn. I also love Notre Dame.

You cant draft that ahead of time.> D.A. has some attributes. Wins, big games, quick release, big arm, young.

Furthermore, Whos your backup to Quinn??? This is the NFL - and the depth is bad for almost EVERY team at that position. No, these two guys arent going anywhere IMO. If your really paying attention here Tip, Savage held onto Anderson for a reason and allowed McNair and Boller to hang around Baltimore. There just isnt enough good Qb around.

Trading either QB is foolish unless some rediculous offer comes sround. Not one for draft choices either.

Also Cleveland has had no less than 5 defensive lineman-linbackers injured. Are you going to cut all of them next year when they are healthy, because you traded away a guy that could take you to the Super bowl for some unknown defensive players. I mean, Anderson was in the top 3 or 4 of the AFC this year in a few categories I think, and None were for interceptions...?

I wonder how much he will be improved after his first full season of being the starter? What about Charles LeBentley. That guy is a monster. What do you think that the Pro Bowler will bring to that offensive running and passing game for DA next season.

You scare me. You sound like Frank "Trader" Lane. Trade away what could be the near future - for something that you may not know what your getting?

WE have a guy that almost had us at 11-3 except for blunders in the kicking game and some unblievable breaks for the Steelers. Here's a list of teams that wish they had our QB.

Balt, Denver, KC, Miami, Minnesota, Washington, Buffalo,Chicago, SF, Arizona, Atlanta, etc.

Anderson had 4 int's and already its time to trade him? P/ Manning had 6 int's in a game this year. Brady Quinn could be a great QB and his value is unknown but appears to be very promising.

Lets keep on the path that Savage has us on now. It looks like he's on his way to building a solid team. Trade no one.

This early scenario, remins me of Montana - with Young on the bench, although I dont think either of these two could end up that good, but who knows?

Last edited:
Please. If this was part of Savage's grand plan, why did Frye start game one, why did Savage cough up a first rounder to grab Quinn? He thought in April what everyone else in the world thought about Anderson. Back-up QB. Now, a few months later, behind a good line, with a good running game, and two top ten picks to throw to, he has exactly one career win against a team with a winning record - it was at home, against Seattle - and a big ol' fart in his only must-win situation. Some of the very worst QB play I've ever seen in that Cincy game.

I guess I'm not sure what people see in D.A. that's so incredibly hard to come by. You don't think most starting QB's in the league could have done that? He's not particularly mobile, smart, or accurate. Reason most QB's aren't so good is because most of their supporting casts aren't so good. D.A. also benefited from relieving Frye. A cocker spaniel is smarter than Frye. Biggest difference between those two guys is that D.A. gets rid of the ball.

Just fucking around out loud, but if Miami wants to send you their #1 for the guy, you do that ... right?

I think they sign DA on the franchise tag to get another year out of him without signing him to a long term deal. I'd personally play DA over Quinn cus he hasn't done shit and he's a rookie.

Think San Diego QB situation a few years ago with Rivers and Brees.

D. Anderson will not be resigned and Quinn will have to work out. If he doesn't, sets the franchise back a few more years.

Or you re-sign D. Anderson and get rid of Quinn. The Browns are not that close to being of a complete team to keep both.

Or I am talking outta my arse.

Last edited:
Crennell already said he's playing his starters this weekend, but no matter what happens against the 49ers it won't matter. If they lose to SF and the Titans lost, the Browns still make the playoffs. The only case where the Browns need to win is if the Titans and Colts tie, which obviously won't happen.

Also, the Browns need to trade DA while his stock is still high. Profootballtalk.com was talking about the Dolphins potentially giving up the #1 pick for him, that seems insane, but if they can get anything like that they have to do it. There is high demand around the NFL for a starting QB, so I think you've gotta sell high on DA because next year will only give him more of a chance to screw up. Quinn can't be that bad with all those weapons around him and, coming out of ND, he knows how to deal with pressure. They traded their #1 pick for Quinn for a reason, they've already made their choice for QB of the future. Plus, they just gave Ken Dorsey, who Quinn already acknowledged is his mentor, a new 3 year contract.

Franchise DA this year. I don't believe the dolphins would give up the #1 pick for him. He's had 1 good season. Miami, if QB is the way to go would be best suited to take Matt Ryan. He will be a rock solid NFL player and eventually IMO will be better than DA.
You need 2 quality QB in this league to be perfectly suited unless you are Indy or NE. Let DA prove this season was not a fluke and let Quinn get tutored for one more year. If DA is the real deal, then his stock will be even higher the following year and you probably could get multiple draft picks.

Two of the top 3 QBs in the league are a 6th round pick and an undrafted free agent.

So many busts in the first round I'd go with the proven QB in Anderson who has had a great first season and built some chemistry with Edwards and Winslow both young stars with breakout seasons.

ANYBODY talked to this fella ??? What's the update?

what was the pot amount he stole? (Did anyone/CTG put up the money)

When CTG started ... Were partners only friends via online forums? Had hall hung out before? Or just wanted to start something clean?

ANYBODY talked to this fella ??? What's the update?

what was the pot amount he stole? (Did anyone/CTG put up the money)

When CTG started ... Were partners only friends via online forums? Had hall hung out before? Or just wanted to start something clean?

i think it was a 10 person league 50 dollar buy in. i ended up getting a personal check from Jump so yah the partners had to put up their own funds to cover for the schmuck smh.

[h=1]Brian Hoyer to start for Browns[/h]Updated: December 3, 2014, 1:02 PM ET
<cite class="source">By Jeremy Fowler | ESPN.com</cite>

<!-- end mod-article-title --> <!-- begin story body -->
[h=5]Browns Stick With Hoyer As Playoff Hunt Continues[/h]Jeff Saturday discusses the Browns' decision to stick with QB Brian Hoyer rather than start rookie Johnny Manziel.Tags: Johnny Manziel, Cleveland Browns, NFL, Brian Hoyer

Browns Stick With Hoyer As Playoff Hunt Continues[h=6]NEXT VIDEO
video2.png
[/h]

The Cleveland Browns' faith in Brian Hoyer continues, and so does Johnny Manziel's spot on the bench.
After two days of deliberation, Cleveland will start Hoyer for the 13th straight game Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts, Browns coach Mike Pettine announced Wednesday.

[h=4]More from ESPN.com[/h]
mcmanamon_pat_m.jpg
The Browns are making the logical move in starting Brian Hoyer over Johnny Manziel on Sunday, and now it's up to Hoyer to reward the faith of his coach, Pat McManamon writes. Story
<center>
</center>
yates_field_m.jpg
The Browns would have been better off picking Johnny Manziel to start this week over Brian Hoyer. Field Yates explains why. Story
in.gif

"After thorough evaluation and talking to the staff, we feel Brian gives us the best opportunity to win on Sunday," Pettine said. "This is a football decision, and those are always going to be based on what we think is best for our team.
"Brian has led our team to a 7-5 record. I'm confident that we can get the entire offense playing at the level needed to accomplish the goals we set at the beginning of the season. Those goals are still very much attainable."
If the Browns were to lose Sunday, a source told ESPN.com that a possible scenario would be for Manziel to start the final three games of the season.
Hoyer's recent struggles had left the door cracked for Manziel, who completed 5-of-8 passes for 63 yards and a 10-yard touchdown run in relief during a 26-10 loss to Buffalo on Sunday.
Pettine, the Browns coaching staff and general manager Ray Farmer on Tuesday discussed the pros and cons of starting each quarterback -- Hoyer providing experience and leadership; Manziel providing a spark but lack of experience during a playoff push.

<!-- begin inline 1 -->[h=4]Is Hoyer Right?[/h]
i
The Browns have used 20 different starting quarterbacks since the franchise returned to Cleveland in 1999, the most in the NFL in that time. Of those 20, Brian Hoyer is the only one with a winning record.
QuarterbackWinning PctW-L
Brian Hoyer.66710-5
Jake Delhomme.5002-2
Derek Anderson.47116-18
Tim Couch.37322-37
Trent Dilfer.3644-7

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody><tfoot>
[TD="colspan: 3"] --ESPN Stats & Information [/TD]

</tfoot>

<!-- end inline 1 -->Hoyer has thrown one touchdown pass and has had six interceptions in his last 15 quarters, including an erratic two-turnover performance in Buffalo. Hoyer publicly stated his case for the job in the locker room Monday, saying quarterbacks don't luck into a 7-5 record.
He must find a better rhythm with receiver Josh Gordon. Hoyer has thrown three interceptions the last two games when targeting Gordon.
Manziel stated his case on the field in Buffalo by orchestrating an 80-yard touchdown drive, completing three of his first four passes for 54 yards.
The Browns likely need at least 10 wins to make the playoffs in a loaded AFC, but they remain in contention in the AFC North, tied with the Steelers and Ravens at 7-5 and behind 8-3-1 Cincinnati.
Hoyer is considered a leader in the locker room, so no doubt some veteran players will feel comfortable with him behind center, even though Manziel instilled confidence with his play in Buffalo.
Hoyer will be without wide receiver Miles Austin, who was placed on injured reserve Wednesday and is still at Erie County Medical Center recovering from a kidney injury.
The 30-year-old Austin signed as a free agent with Cleveland in May after eight seasons with Dallas. He finished the season with 47 catches for 568 yards.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Back