So, what happened to the Tampa D?

Tito

The Salty Dog
That was amazing.

They were non-existant, they seemed to stop playing in the 2H.

What happened?

Home and Away splits tell alot . Cant really say I watched closely though. TB soft road schedule and not very productive defensively .

TB on the road 121 yds per on the ground and 4.2 YPC before this
TB at home dont have the exact numbers but probably closer to about 70yds and 3.4 yds ...

Teams just cant run on TB at home but AP started to show some holes vs them IMO

That was pretty insane in the 2nd H . Carolina answered every single TB score ...They only punted 1 time and they had 2 shots at gettinmg 1yd on 2nd and 3rd and 1 in the 4th Q.....TB never really stopped them in the 1st H 26plays 140 yds TD , FG , INT .....

Panther OL improved from 1st meeting and even coach Gruden acknowledged much different offense this time around..

:shake:

no worries BC - after Bryant mad that sick TD catch, I thought I was good too...

throw - do you hate Lane, as a raider fan?

Also TB had 3 losses by 3,3,4 pts so they were essentially 10 pts away from being undefeated . Just due for a sloppy game where the scoreboard reflected it ..

Nut, I actually originally leaned Carolina b/c I was thinking, "Tampa on the road - diff team" and I knew that going in, but that wasn't even close to any kind of resistance by Tampas D. They didn't seem to try.

I think it's also a case of that Tampa Defense being on the field damn near all game. They just wore them down in a big way.

That is something that might actually be catching up with them on the season. I haven't looked at the stats, but something tells me that defense has been out there a lot and they could well be getting worn down.

Fair point JP. Still they didnt stop CAR at any point really . I dont count INTs as stops personally but the 2nd H was rather terrible. It has some vets and the whole DL was hurting come in minus Hovan. Actually TOP was equal.

Haye missed so Sims had to play the whole ga,e rather then rotate in . Adams had a hip pointer and it was serious enough to list him as questionable and Kevin Carter was also questionable at one point with some mystery illness . Mix in Jermaine Phillips just returning to the lineup as well ....

Definetly could have had some hidden factors as well as the whole JP point about TB's defense being worn down at this point . Depth clearly an issue IMO...:shake:

Nut, I actually originally leaned Carolina b/c I was thinking, "Tampa on the road - diff team" and I knew that going in, but that wasn't even close to any kind of resistance by Tampas D. They didn't seem to try.

That was me last week starting off pounding te Texans then wind up playing Jags . It happens to all of us . You did very well this week...:shake:

Yep, and me two weeks ago being all about NE only to play the Dolphins. Ugh.

Yep, SN, depth and being on the field too long. The thing that Garcia gives them is an X-factor, he's such a wild card he can come up with throws like the one to Bryant tonight. It can keep them in games, as can a running game if they can get it going. And against certain teams who have trouble against the run, that's going to be enough.

But if tonight is any indication, that defense is going to start giving up points. Not 38 a game or whatever, but more than people might think. I may look at this over next week, too. Garcia & Ryan, a TB defense on the road on short rest . . .

Funny thing is TB defense has given up points on the road . Only teams below 20 were DEN 16 and they missed so many chances and DAL 13 with Brad Johnson . The other games Det , KC , Chicago , Saints all broke 20++ and thats a pretty soft schedule ..

These are the games that makes paying $250 a year for the NFL Sunday Ticket worthwhile. A must have if you bet.

Tampa D has been soft the last few weeks, saw it, noticed it, bet it.

They have condensed replays of just play after play, and you can get a really good feel for line play, etc by watching them.

Doesn't hurt my case that I don't work this time of year either, I can put in the time. (not a bum, just a tax accountant)

Just hope they dont throw ATL-6 out ...

That would be like seeing a girl across the bar, walking up to her, and before you even opened your mouth having her kick you straight in the nuts.

Think -4 and 4.5 probably for ATL hope less ....

3rd and Long naturally I agree since CAR was my biggest play to date and had the TT over 21 as well..

The playoff game last year told the truth about the TAMPA D--

Giants ran all over them and basically just ran and threw all over them. Tampa D has never been a real big D--

They play this Cover 2 which is designed to protect deep and a SAFE DEFENSE-

Their front 4 is not nasty, after they lost Simeon RICE, they really dont have the dominant pass rushers- They are better vs the pass, but are fairly weak vs BIg running teams--

Tampa's loss to the Giants really showed that this team is not built to win on the road vs other good teams, their D is completely overrated. The old Tampa D used to be able to stop teams and limit them to 10 to 14 points. This version cannot do that. They just cannot, they do not have very good safeties, their linebackers are good vs the pass, their front 4 is decent but has no good road pass rushers.

It just depends on how much they value MNF.

I think the effect of MNF has actually lessened since it moved to ESPN. Yes, everybody has ESPN now, but because of SNF and that flex game, I think more people actually watch the Sunday night game than pay attention to the MNF game.

This week maybe people watched, but the NFC South is still one of those divisions nobody cares about outside of NO.

They'd be smart to put out the -4. My hope is they don't think to much about it and put out the -3 or less based mostly on TB's rep.

Yeah Atlanta has Abraham he will frustrate garcia by chasing him all game--

Matt Ryan vs cover 2 should do well, really Tampa is beatable for sure--- not sure how they stop the run in that game as Roddy White can hurt them passing.

For the record, if this was Ryan's first time vs. the Tampa 2 and Kiffin I wouldn't touch this game. In fact, I may have bet the other side of this many months ago, but I can't remember, I wasn't really betting early in the season.

But now he's seen it before, and they're at home, different story.

They nearly rallied on TB in that one. Faded ATL early vs those tough defenses on the road . recall having to sweat it out down the stretch.

ATL has started to get some strong lines which is what concerns me about a hugher then expected number ...

17-0 shortly before half but ATL gets a turnover and great field position . Think inside TBs 25 and settle for a FG right before half . ATL moved the ball very well ..

13 plays 75 yds but only a FG 17-6 now

TB drives but fumbles inside the ATL red zone.

13plays 77 yds nearly identical and again just a FG 17-9.

Both times inside the opposing 10 yd line and do the math TDs = Tie ...

Graham busts a huge run to ice the game around the 3 minute mark...

10 of the 1st H 17 pts were off Ryan INTs.....

That was Game #2 of the season , Griese at QB and 1st road game for Matt Ryan

They nearly rallied on TB in that one. Faded ATL early vs those tough defenses on the road . recall having to sweat it out down the stretch.

ATL has started to get some strong lines which is what concerns me about a hugher then expected number ...

The strange thing is that Atlanta at home seems to be playing playoff type football. They beat Carolina and New Orleans, beat Sandiego on the road and Atlanta also-

I am so shocked that they are not making the mistakes you expect from a young team, and from a new coach. Its like they are so consistent and RYAN is not killing them with picks, they are not fumbling, they are not dropping passes either. They made a few errors in the DENVER LOSS--

The thing about Tampa is that honestly they have a good coach and a good system- Warrick Dunn does not scare anyone, Cadillac is okay- Garcia does not scare anyone throwing all game- On Defense Buchanon is not strong on corner, The TBAY D can be overpowered and bull rushed-

Matt Bryant misses field goals in bad times-

The thing about TBAY is if Antonio Bryant were to get hurt they would be done this year- this man has a bad attitude but can play when motivated, if he didtn play today I think TBAY only scores 7 points tonight.

Tampa has limited talent, they will beat all teams that beat themselves and the avg teams. even though Carolina turned it over twice they still scored 38 points--

Granted it was not Tampas best Defensive effort or was it??

Allowing 27 vs KC and 28 vs Detroit shows us this D stinks.

Carolina running game maybe only second behind New york Giants in my book

---Carolina Defense will decide their playoff fate

they have the offense for once

Back