SMU vs. Tulane Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
SMU vs. Tulane: Week 7 NCAAF Picks and Predictions

SMU Mustangs vs. Tulane Green Wave
Friday, October 16, 2020 at 6 p.m. ET (ESPN) at Yulman Stadium in New Orleans

Differences

Last week, Tulane got blown out by a Houston Cougar squad whose turnovers even spotted it multiple touchdowns. SMU, also, is a good squad. So should we expect the same results?

The key for Houston — as well as any team that faces Tulane -- was to stop the run. Offensively, the Green Wave are run-dependent and the Cougars limited them to 70 rushing yards on 45 attempts.

But Houston is different than SMU in that the Cougars return just about everybody on defense and were able to showcase a significant amount of depth, all of which was fresh, in its front seven.

SMU’s Run Defense

Unlike Houston, the Mustangs returned only two starters from last year’s front seven.

Their weakness against the run is evident from the fact that they rank 109th in opposing YPC. This ranking represents a steep regression from last year where they ranked 39th in the category.

So far, they also rank 112th in allowing 202 rushing yards per game.

Teams know what SMU’s defensive weakness is. Running the ball against SMU is an emphasis of any Mustang opponent, which is why SMU ranks 91st in opposing run play percentage.

All of this was apparent in the team’s season opener when even Texas State ran for 189 yards on five YPC.

Texas State freshman running back Calvin Hill enjoyed his strongest performance of the season in that game despite Texas State’s regularly low level of opposing competition.

The list goes on for SMU’s run defense.

North Texas ran for 212 yards on four YPC against SMU.

Most recently, Memphis ran for 205 yards on 5.4 YPC in its game against the Mustangs.

Evidently, opposing offenses are consistently able to have success on the ground against the Mustangs.

At this point, they must know what’s coming, but aren’t able to stop it. They lack the same quality of personnel that they possessed in this department last year.

Tulane Run Offense

On offense, Tulane was and continues to be all about the run.

Currently, the Green Wave own the nation's ninth-highest percentage of run plays.

Even after facing Houston in its season opener, the Green Wave rank ninth nationally in averaging 5.4 YPC.

Their running back committee is characterized by depth. The team’s different running backs have different areas of strength.

Tyjae Spears is small but very fast. He’s averaging 7.4 YPC on 37 attempts.

You can see an example of this speed at 26 seconds in the following video:

Spears takes it up the middle where Navy’s defense grows congested in trying to contain Spears. Spears then bounces outside for a big gain.

Cameron Carroll distinguishes himself with his strength and physicality. He leads the team in rushing attempts and accrues 5.3 YPC.

Also look for Stephon Huderson, who averages 7.1 YPC on 25 carries.

Amare Jones is right behind them after averaging 6.1 YPC last season.

In order to foster a productive rushing attack, Tulane will showcase play-action and misdirection plays.

Also, Tulane will line up in such a way that defenses stretch themselves out horizontally, thus having fewer players in the box.

An experienced offensive line that returned five guys with starts under their belt is also helpful.

SMU’s Injuries + One Dimensionality

SMU is all about its passing game, which is why it has the 30th-highest pass play percentage in the country.

The Mustangs must depend all the more on quarterback Shane Buechele after losing 1,000-yard rusher Xavier Jones during the offseason and T.J. McDaniel last week.

McDaniel had been averaging 4.9 YPC while leading the team in rushing attempts.

Without him, there’s only one Mustang running back who will consistently try to keep Tulane’s defense honest.

After losing last year’s top receiver James Proche in the offseason, SMU’s other big injury loss last week was the team’s current leading wide receiver, Reggie Robertson Jr.

Robertson led the team in receptions and had amassed 202 more receiving yards than the next-leading Mustang receiver.

Especially for such a pass-heavy team, there now resides a relative lack of playmaking ability at wide receiver.

Tulane’s Pass Defense

Defensively, the team’s perpetual sack leader Patrick Johnson brings an NFL-caliber mixture of power and speed. He leads the Green Wave with 4.5 sacks.

In the secondary, Jaylon Monroe stands out after being named a preseason AAC third-teamer. He leads the team with two passes deflected.

The Verdict

Expect a healthy dose of Tulane’s ground attack, which will sustain drives, produce points, and keep SMU’s pass attack off the field.

In turn, Buechele will have less support to contend with the likes of Johnson and Monroe.

Best Bet: Green Wave +7 at -120 with BetOnline

What do you have against smu rb Bentley? I know it was North Texas but they sure didn’t look one dimensional when he was freaking gashing them! Memphis did shut him down and make them very one demential but I think their passing attack does open up big opportunities to run and Bentley seems more than capable to me. That’s no comment on how I think this game will go just curious as to why we don’t like him? Seems pretty talented to me.

Does Tulane go fast with their run game or are they methodical? Clearly I havnt capped it yet and I forget, feel like I wanna day they go pretty quick no huddle for most part correct?

What do you have against smu rb Bentley? I know it was North Texas but they sure didn’t look one dimensional when he was freaking gashing them! Memphis did shut him down and make them very one demential but I think their passing attack does open up big opportunities to run and Bentley seems more than capable to me. That’s no comment on how I think this game will go just curious as to why we don’t like him? Seems pretty talented to me.

Yeah I mean that one game...that came against a non-FCS school...seems like he mostly went off in the second half of a blowout in a game where SMU dominated time of possession. N. Texas ranks 126th in opposing YPC. Then he did nothing to note against Memphis or Texas State.

Yeah I mean that one game...that came against a non-FCS school...seems like he mostly went off in the second half of a blowout in a game where SMU dominated time of possession. N. Texas ranks 126th in opposing YPC. Then he did nothing to note against Memphis or Texas State.

yea it was just more the talent I saw than anything else. He looks like he has a good combo of burst and power. Until Memphis he wasn’t really getting a ton of touches cause they still had McDaniel, he did break several on SFA too (again not a impressive feat), 6 carries the longest being 33 but still hit the century mark. The Memphis game was really his 1st opportunity I’m aware of he had the chance to be the feature back and they didn’t know that coming in. I just think With way smu runs that pass happy spread he will get some lanes and he looks to me like he has the ability to do something with it.

Spears tore his ACL vs Southern Miss.

While they would love to have him, I don't think it drastically changes one's disposition on Tulane or SMU here.

Now Roberson on the other hand, I see as a very significant injury that negatively impacts SMU's O. They have had a go-to guy all these years...be it Roberson this year, Proche last year, before them, Trey Quinn and Cortland Sutton. Roberson was just becoming "the guy" this year stepping up for the loss of Proche. Now without either of them, I'm sure they will find a way, Dykes and Buechelle will find a way, but in my mind they are definitely less threatening, less lethal, less scary to go against now.

I'm not quite sure yet what the Tulane O looks like with Pratt at QB. QB run has been such a big part of the O under Fritz, is Pratt that kind of guy? I mean, I would rather not have Keon Howard just to get that out of the way. So I think Fritz will make it work, just different. McMillian led them in rushing last year, a QB has been top 2 in carriers for Tulane 2 of the last 3 years and the year it wasn't was when McMillian replaced Banks, add up their attempts and QB would be the second leading rushing attemps that year too. Less QB run...either lends itself to more RB run, or I might assume means more QB throw, which is ok, but he is a True Frosh.

Spears tore his ACL vs Southern Miss.

While they would love to have him, I don't think it drastically changes one's disposition on Tulane or SMU here.

Now Roberson on the other hand, I see as a very significant injury that negatively impacts SMU's O. They have had a go-to guy all these years...be it Roberson this year, Proche last year, before them, Trey Quinn and Cortland Sutton. Roberson was just becoming "the guy" this year stepping up for the loss of Proche. Now without either of them, I'm sure they will find a way, Dykes and Buechelle will find a way, but in my mind they are definitely less threatening, less lethal, less scary to go against now.

i was unaware Roberson was hurt?? Did it happen during Memphis game? I don’t even remember anything but him crushing them, pretty freaking rare you see a guy has 243 on 5 catches! How long he gone for? They have some other guys but you right he is “the guy”. That bad for them.

McDaniel has 289 career yards in two games vs Texas State. In his other 13 career games he has 244 yards total. He likes playing vs Texas State though.

Yes.

And for McDaniel's injury, I think it is a total nonfactor. Bur Roberson is huge.

i agree. As I said above I think Bentley is perfectly capable of being the feature back. I’m not sure they have anyone else like Roberson. Grey is nice but he ain’t him.

Unless it is a true difference maker, RB is the most disposable and replaceable position on a team.

My nature has me looking to back Tulane, but I have some serious conflict about doing so. I have seen how bad Tulane's pass D has been for most of the year....now they play Buechelle. No Roberson helps a lot, but still.

Unless it is a true difference maker, RB is the most disposable and replaceable position on a team.

My nature has me looking to back Tulane, but I have some serious conflict about doing so. I have seen how bad Tulane's pass D has been for most of the year....now they play Buechelle. No Roberson helps a lot, but still.

think nfl has proven that 1st statement big time the last 10 years. As you said outside a very small handful of elite rbs they a dime a dozen. Scheme and blocking far more important, finding a kid with vision and willingness to hit holes hard not that tough to do and I certainly think Bentley fits that bill.

Back