Smart People!! Please shoot down my anti playoff agrument

Br@ssknux

Pretty much a regular
First of all, I'm new here, but have been enjoying the site for the entire CFB season. Had a SPAM mail snafu that I was too dumb to figure out so I wasn't able to get myself able to post until just recently. I am in the minority in that I am afraid of what a playoff would do to college football as a whole. Despite the fact that I am against a playoff, I had never seen a logical argument for my position, so I decided about a month ago to write one. It was all stream of consciousness, but I think I covered what I wanted to cover. I've noticed that most people are on the other side, including a lot of smart people here. My humble request is that you read my argument, consider it, and then "talk me down" as to why college football will be better from September to January as a result of a playoff. To be honest, I want to have the opinion that I could go either way on the topic, but am afraid that a playoff will lessen the overall enjoyment of the CBF season. It's long so I appreciate any time spent reading it. Keep in mind that this was written in early December. Utah's subsequent win over Bama has me tiptoeing closer to the middle on this.

Here is my argument against a College football playoff.

First, let me first say that I am an absolute college football junkie. I love College football. It is by far my favorite sport. I live for college football Saturdays in the fall, and the holiday bowl season in December/January. I would surmise that those reading this would probably say the same thing about themselves. I don't think I need to go into my reasons for this. Those that don't count themselves in this group, I would hope would not try to push their half-hearted opinions on the sport and instead go get excited about the Pistons/Spurs tilt on TNT that means so much this early December.

A couple points that you will NOT see in this argument: 1. The inane and logically bankrupt argument that a playoff would make the season "too long" for the "student atheletes." Can we all agree that this view is an embarrassment to anyone who makes this argument? It angers me when I hear it, because it just discredits the entire anti-playoff agrument. This is not a reason to avoid a playoff. Let me make that clear. 2. Chaos is fun. Don't count me in with that nonsense either.

I realize that I am in the minority in this argument. Just about anyone who has any opinion about the BCS undoubtedly will throw up their hands at the "mess" or "disgrace" that we currently see and call for the need for a playoff to cure all that ails college football. And I guess we would need to establish that college football is indeed ailing, wouldn't we? College Football fans are routinely painted as the most passionate in all of sports, as they always have been. The games are exhilarating. Stadiums are packed, 80,000 or more at scores of campuses around the country, today and always. I dare say that there is very little that is "wrong" with college football at this point. It seems to be pretty healthy to me, and continues to grow in popularity.

My initial question is this: Why do we need a College football playoff system? The answer: Because over the years, the emphasis in college football has gone from the journey of the season to an absolute obsession with who is crowned the National Champion, or what used to be referred to as the "Mythical National Champion". It used to be referred to as that because over the years in college football, the national championship was not the end all be all. It wasn't the only conceivable thing that a team would strive to accomplish when it started fall practice. For example, if you were a team from the Big Ten, your goal was to win the league, go to the Rose Bowl and win it. If someone felt you deserved to be called the National Champion, great, but teams and fans didn't need some bullcrap institution to tell them that they had a championship year. Same for the Pac 10, same for the Big 8(Orange Bowl), the SWC(Cotton Bowl), SEC(Sugar Bowl) and so on. There wasn't even a trophy. Can you believe that? No Waterford crystal football sponsored by At&T or whoever? How can that be? However, the expansion of conferences helped to change things, and as a result, the national championship is now of the utmost importance to everyone, to the point that conference titles are merely secondary, and often forgotten. Here's a good example: Consider the Auburn team of 2004, the one that did not play for the National Championship in deference to unbeaten USC and Oklahoma and instead beat a very good Virginia Tech team in the Sugar Bowl. If you asked an Auburn fan to recall that season, would you get a positive or a negative reaction? Certainly, it would depend on the person, but undoubtedly, due to an insatiable desire to be validated by the establishment as NATIONAL CHAMPIONS, there would be some, maybe a sizable amount that would look back on that season negatively. To me, that is lunacy. You were the UNDEFEATED SEC and SUGAR BOWL CHAMPS! Hang a banner! Order the rings! Get the T-shirts!. Who cares that you didn't lead Sportscenter on January 6th? Look back at that season with pride. Historicaly, it will always be remembered. I'm a freakin' Illinois alum and fan, and I remember it and consider that team on the same level as USC that year, and so does everyone else that follows college football. Ask any CFB journalist about the '04 Auburn team, and you'll undoubtedly get glowing reviews and a healthy level of respect. Now conversely, how do people remember the OU squad from that year that USC blew the doors off of? Pretender. Poseur. Fraud. Certainly they're remembered less favorably than the Auburn squad is. And isn't that part of what this whole process is about? Being able to command respect, and get your props as a team and as a fan base? But what if there was a playoff that year, and Auburn got matched up with USC in a semi-final? Maybe they would have beaten them, and they'd be seen in the same light as they are today, and they'd have an entry in the CFB encyclopedia saying they were the official National Champs. But what if they took it on the chin just like OU did? Then what? If you asked that same Auburn fan to recall the '04 season, you'd probably get a negative response, much like Ohio St has experienced the last two years. He'd probably say something like, "Yeah, we were 11-0 but we got our asses kicked in the playoff and got exposed as a fraud." So maybe there's another side to this, and "getting screwed" out of a chance of having the establishment call you the national champs isn't such a bad thing. Just a thought.

So, why would a playoff be good for college football? Proponents would say that a playoff system would give all deserving teams a fair shot at earning a national championship on the field, much like "every other conceivable organization decides it's champion".

I look at this scenario in a macro view. Would the college football season as a whole be a more enjoyable experience with a playoff or without? Is this a fair question to ask, or is it only important that the end of the season is satisfying and fair to everyone? If you choose the latter, then friend, we will never agree, because the argument has a fundamental chasm right from the get go. So I will look at it by considering the effects a playoff would have on the entire season. I really feel that those wishing for a playoff have not fully considered the effects a playoff system would have. If we are going to screw with what is for me, by a mile, the most enjoyable sport in America, then we better damn well make sure that the changes we make don't result in more problems than we have currently, effectively making it a less enjoyable sport. Because, after all, we will be changing the entire landscape of the sport so that we feel a little better that we MIGHT not be treating some teams unfairly.

We also should consider if a change to a playoff would accomplish anything at all. For example, the most popular playoff proposal is for an 8 team playoff. If that were the case, how would we determine the 8 teams? 6 BCS conference champs and 2 at large teams? In that case, how would you pick the at large teams? Someone would certainly be left out of the process as they are now. Suppose Oregon St had beaten Oregon, as they were favored to do last Saturday. Only 3 of Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Alabama, Texas Tech, USC and Utah would have been included in an 8 teamer.. To me, it would appear that in that scenario, Utah, Texas Tech and USC would probably be excluded. No USC in a playoff? That accomplishes nothing above what we have now, because half the country would be calling USC the "hottest" team in America, like they do almost every year. It also doesn't even address the cases of Utah and Boise St, who represent the loudest calls for some sort of playoff, and the most vitriolic anger against the BCS process. Perhaps, then, the top 8 in the BCS standings? What sense would that make? Take the process that everyone rails against, and make it the 100% basis for the structure? And risk killing the bowl structure as we know it in the process? (I'll get into that later). A 16 team playoff would be an even more severe and marginalizing concept. It would also completely reinvent college football as we know it, so I'll not even get into that concept, instead focusing on the less severe model we're discussing now.

Moreover, logistically, how would a playoff be staged? The popular models I've seen suggested call for the 4 BCS bowls to host a game apiece, 1 v 8, 2 v 7, etc. The winners would play the following week, presumably at neutral sites, and then a championship game with the survivors held thereafter. This model does not consider some major obstacles. First, as I think everyone knows, these bowls are huge events. After the 2-4 week layoff after the season ends, teams get to the destinations about a week prior, hold practices and attend community events all week leading up to the game. If there was a 3 week playoff, the winning teams would not have that luxury the following week. They need to prepare, practice, etc, so a week long sojourn the following week would not be feasible. In addition, consider the fans of say, Penn St. Suppose Penn St plays USC in the Rose Bowl and wins. Their fans have already traveled across country. Now are they expected to travel again, the following week to another city, make travel arrangements and accommodations at a moment's notice, then potentially do it again the following week? Football isn't like basketball, where the whole shooting match can be handled in a weekend. If you propose using home fields, then the bowl system as we know it is dead, and if I need to justify why there is a problem with that, then again, there's no sense continuing, because as I mentioned before, the chasm between the arguments is so wide, it would never be bridged. The great thing about college football is that tons of teams have something to play for every week as the season comes down to the wire: bowl eligibility, or an improvement in their bowl stature. Many times, it's in games against other teams in the same boat. It's a chance to put a positive mark on your season, and a chance for your athletic department to prosper so that your swimmers don't have to pay their own way to the national championships in California, or the women's field hockey team can have more than a $5 per Diem on the road. It makes for meaningful games all year long. Bowls are freakin' cool, not to mention a load of fun to handicap. I am NOT willing to sacrifice them for a playoff system that has the potential to present new problems for the sport that might be worse than the issues we have now. Additionally, I have a problem with taking away the neutrality of these games. If you are trying to determine who the best is, why play the game in a snowstorm, or give another team an advantage if their fans can't traavel as easily two weeks in a row? That's why they play the Super Bowl in a warm weather neutral site, to make it as much a "control" environment as possible. (This by the way will be the last time I point to the NFL as any positive example for college football. You can keep your 2 yard out routes on 4th and 12, 13-24 QB performances for 87 yards and countless commercial breaks. NOTE: In the Bucs/Saints game this weekend, we had this sequence: With under a minute left in the 1st quarter, Tampa drives into FG range. On 3rd down, Garcia throws an incompletion. Someone gets injured. Cut to commercial. Come back. FG attempt is good. Cut to another commercial. Come back. TB kicks off, NO returns it to the 20. Commercial. Come back. Running play. 1st quarter ends. Double block of commercials. Ballgame. I flipped on Stooges re-runs, never to return.)

Let's also consider the effects on the regular season. Teams like USC want a playoff so that they can have the luxury of "having an off week" and not having their MNC(whoops, I mean NC) dreams dashed as a result. Do we want this? Don't we love the madcap comebacks teams embark on out of fear their season might be lost, like USC's effort to get back into the game at Oregon St this year after falling behind 21-0 at the half? Would they have exerted such effort if a playoff existed? We don't know the answer to that. Do we want a college football version of week 16 and 17 in the NFL, where teams are mailing in games because their playoff lot has already been cast? Would Alabama give a rat's ass about the SEC championship game this weekend? Maybe they would, and it would be a credit to their competitive fire if they did, but we almost certainly would be subject to Sportscenter and talk radio discussions on whether or not they should risk injury to their top players since they would have a playoff spot basically locked up. And if you say they would run the risk of falling out of favor with voters if they lost for not showing up, then we are still not immune to the concept of "style points" that is so loathed by the talking heads currently. As it stands right now, we have a perfect "semifinal" type scenario in the SEC title game, about as meaningful and big as a game can be, where one of these teams will earn a trip to the NC game. That would not be the case if a playoff was employed...we would be making a very clean and simple scenario much more complicated. Take it a step further. If a "Top 8 in the BCS" model was used, would there even be a need for conference championship games at all?

Let's also disspel the all the criticisms of ADs and college presidents, and the self righteous ramblings that "it's all about the money". You're damn right it's about the money. As I mentioned, football is the vehicle by which 95% of D-1 schools fund their athletic departments. Where do you think all the money made via the bowls goes? To some AD's trust fund? In the Presidents' pockets? No, they go to fund the athletic departments of the schools, so they can pay for the women's and men's non-revenue sports to make road trips on something other than rickety school buses. So they can eat dinner at places other than McDonald's. So schools can fund athletic facilities and locker rooms for these sports without cutting in other areas. So there's a scholarship available for your daughter who's really good at soccer. Schools striving to collect as much money as possible to help ALL of their student atheletes, or to position themselves to be more equipped to do so is not a bad thing, ok?

Lastly, let me say that, yes, every other sport has some sort of playoff system to determine it's champion. I get that. Can I be more clear that I do NOT want college football to be just like the NBA, or NFL, or even NCAA basketball? The NBA is fine. Playoffs are pretty cool. I get into it somewhere around May 1st. The NCAA tourney is pretty damn sweet. 8 days of games plus the final Monday nighter over a 2 week period. It's great. But most sports fans would tell you that they don't even pay attention to college hoops until after the Super Bowl is over. That's 3 months into the season. I'm not interested in any pining for a parallel to that in college football. I for one, enjoy bowl season just as much, if not more than I do the Tourney, and I still get to have a regular season in college football that is 20 times superior to that of college hoops. It's kind of like an analogy: I'm a big fan of two kinds of candy: Chocolate covered pretzels and Smarties. Love 'em both. If you would ask me if I'd rather have two of the same as an after dinner treat or one of both, I'd take one of both. Variety is the spice of life. I don't want a tourney style playoff in college football just like I wouldn't want a bunch of satellite games that might be cool matchups at the end of the college basketball season. Again, variety!

Is the BCS system perfect? Of course not. Especially when the Big 12 uses it to determine their division winners. But I hope I have illustrated that any playoff system would absolutely radically change college football, from the beginning of the season to the end, and very likely for the worse. It would certainly bring new problems and issues into the game that we currently don't have, which ultimately, could render college football a less enjoyable product as a whole. As I stated at the beginning of this diatribe, I LOVE COLLEGE FOOTBALL. Why sacrifice something we love, just so we can feel a little bit better about how we decide the champion in a process that might not work anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
Brass, that is a lot of material there. I read about the first half.

To me, a playoff lets me know who the best team is, and without one I'm not sure I can tell. That is the fundamental issue to me. We can all guess, but we don't know.

My initial question is this: Why do we need a College football playoff system? The answer: Because over the years, the emphasis in college football has gone from the journey of the season to an absolute obsession with who is crowned the National Champion, or what used to be referred to as the "Mythical National Champion". It used to be referred to as that because over the years in college football, the national championship was not the end all be all. It wasn't the only conceivable thing that a team would strive to accomplish when it started fall practice. For example, if you were a team from the Big Ten, your goal was to win the league, go to the Rose Bowl and win it. If someone felt you deserved to be called the National Champion, great, but teams and fans didn't need some bullcrap institution to tell them that they had a championship year. Same for the Pac 10, same for the Big 8(Orange Bowl), the SWC(Cotton Bowl), SEC(Sugar Bowl) and so on. There wasn't even a trophy. Can you believe that? No Waterford crystal football sponsored by At&T or whoever? How can that be? However, the expansion of conferences helped to change things, and as a result, the national championship is now of the utmost importance to everyone, to the point that conference titles are merely secondary, and often forgotten. Here's a good example: Consider the Auburn team of 2004, the one that did not play for the National Championship in deference to unbeaten USC and Oklahoma and instead beat a very good Virginia Tech team in the Sugar Bowl. If you asked an Auburn fan to recall that season, would you get a positive or a negative reaction? Certainly, it would depend on the person, but undoubtedly, due to an insatiable desire to be validated by the establishment as NATIONAL CHAMPIONS, there would be some, maybe a sizable amount that would look back on that season negatively. To me, that is lunacy. You were the UNDEFEATED SEC and SUGAR BOWL CHAMPS! Hang a banner! Order the rings! Get the T-shirts!. Who cares that you didn't lead Sportscenter on January 6th? Look back at that season with pride. Historicaly, it will always be remembered. I'm a freakin' Illinois alum and fan, and I remember it and consider that team on the same level as USC that year, and so does everyone else that follows college football. Ask any CFB journalist about the '04 Auburn team, and you'll undoubtedly get glowing reviews and a healthy level of respect. Now conversely, how do people remember the OU squad from that year that USC blew the doors off of? Pretender. Poseur. Fraud. Certainly they're remembered less favorably than the Auburn squad is. And isn't that part of what this whole process is about? Being able to command respect, and get your props as a team and as a fan base? But what if there was a playoff that year, and Auburn got matched up with USC in a semi-final? Maybe they would have beaten them, and they'd be seen in the same light as they are today, and they'd have an entry in the CFB encyclopedia saying they were the official National Champs. But what if they took it on the chin just like OU did? Then what? If you asked that same Auburn fan to recall the '04 season, you'd probably get a negative response, much like Ohio St has experienced the last two years. He'd probably say something like, "Yeah, we were 11-0 but we got our asses kicked in the playoff and got exposed as a fraud." So maybe there's another side to this, and "getting screwed" out of a chance of having the establishment call you the national champs isn't such a bad thing. Just a thought.

Maybe some of the purist agree with this view, but in my mind, when you play a sport, your goal at the end of the year, is to be known as the best in the sport. The school I go too, Pitt, played in the Sun Bowl this year. Honest to god I was at work and half the people there graduated from Pitt or are just Pitt fans and hardly anyone gave a shit. We had it going on the radio, but I was more worried about the Pitt basketball game going on at that moment then the exhibition being played in El Paso. Honestly I've never seen or even understood the hype about the tradition of the bowl games. I would probably smile and say good for them, but if Pitt won the Sun Bowl I really wouldn't care. There should be one winner, the best team in a league. Me and you remember that Auburn won the Sugar Bowl and went undefeated, but I highly doubt that the average fan does. Ill give you my brother in law, who is a guy that likes football, but is not the biggest of fans. He could not tell you that Auburn went undefeated that season. I was talking to a guy at work and for one reason or another that somehow came up, yeah he barely remembered it. Pitt won the Big East in I guess 2004, and went to the Fiesta Bowl and got blown out. The only difference in a win or lose for Pitt is the money they would have gotten. People will disagree with me here, but I dont see the point in playing a completely meaningless game, just to say that you won. As I said, the point of a sport is to play the best and be the best, and holding up the International Bowl trophy is not gonna make anyone overly happy. Do you think Uconn even really cared?

I look at this scenario in a macro view. Would the college football season as a whole be a more enjoyable experience with a playoff or without? Is this a fair question to ask, or is it only important that the end of the season is satisfying and fair to everyone? If you choose the latter, then friend, we will never agree, because the argument has a fundamental chasm right from the get go. So I will look at it by considering the effects a playoff would have on the entire season. I really feel that those wishing for a playoff have not fully considered the effects a playoff system would have. If we are going to screw with what is for me, by a mile, the most enjoyable sport in America, then we better damn well make sure that the changes we make don't result in more problems than we have currently, effectively making it a less enjoyable sport. Because, after all, we will be changing the entire landscape of the sport so that we feel a little better that we MIGHT not be treating some teams unfairly.

We also should consider if a change to a playoff would accomplish anything at all. For example, the most popular playoff proposal is for an 8 team playoff. If that were the case, how would we determine the 8 teams? 6 BCS conference champs and 2 at large teams? In that case, how would you pick the at large teams? Someone would certainly be left out of the process as they are now. Suppose Oregon St had beaten Oregon, as they were favored to do last Saturday. Only 3 of Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Alabama, Texas Tech, USC and Utah would have been included in an 8 teamer.. To me, it would appear that in that scenario, Utah, Texas Tech and USC would probably be excluded. No USC in a playoff? That accomplishes nothing above what we have now, because half the country would be calling USC the "hottest" team in America, like they do almost every year. It also doesn't even address the cases of Utah and Boise St, who represent the loudest calls for some sort of playoff, and the most vitriolic anger against the BCS process. Perhaps, then, the top 8 in the BCS standings? What sense would that make? Take the process that everyone rails against, and make it the 100% basis for the structure? And risk killing the bowl structure as we know it in the process? (I'll get into that later). A 16 team playoff would be an even more severe and marginalizing concept. It would also completely reinvent college football as we know it, so I'll not even get into that concept, instead focusing on the less severe model we're discussing now.

I realize you made this in early December, but USC did in fact win there conference. And if Oregon St did beat Oregon, then they would have made it as an at large. And if they didn't then who cares that people think they are hot, if you dont win your conference, thats your fault. If you want to be a national champion to say the least you should win your own conference. How could a team win the national championship and not win their own conference.

I skimmed through what you said for the most part, but moving onto the part on how the 9th or 10th team would be pissed they didnt make it into the system. Texas not being rated #2 and Boise St not being rated #10 is apples and hand grenades. I compare this situation to what the NCAA Tournament has every year. The last 2 or 3 teams that didnt get in bitching, ESPN making their case. Stating their disbelief, and we move on. We dont remember it happened by the end of the tournament and frankly no one cares because they had little chance of making it all the way anyway. The 9th and 10th place team I imagine would just about be the same thing. People would be upset, but there would be little you can do.

The playoff would be staged be just as you said, using the BCS bowl's as a stage and maybe add in another couple of prominent bowls for the 1st round or something along those lines, and then keep it in rotation. I noticed you said something about PSU having to travel all the way to Cali, and then all the way back. I love this arguement because people act like flying across the country is a brutal journey in a hitch and wagon. They are sitting on a plane listening to music and watching movies. A three hour time difference is not gonna completely throw you off the radar. Yeah, maybe, west coast to east coast may have trouble, but for christ sake's come a day early, dont be stupid, and get used to the time difference, its only 3 hours.

If you think that schools wouldnt profit from a playoff system you are out of your mind. The excitement in a playoff system would be huge and the money would be their, and im thinking because there are more games, thats gonna equal more money, more national exposure, more everything.

Let's also consider the effects on the regular season. Teams like USC want a playoff so that they can have the luxury of "having an off week" and not having their MNC(whoops, I mean NC) dreams dashed as a result. Do we want this? Don't we love the madcap comebacks teams embark on out of fear their season might be lost, like USC's effort to get back into the game at Oregon St this year after falling behind 21-0 at the half? Would they have exerted such effort if a playoff existed? We don't know the answer to that. Do we want a college football version of week 16 and 17 in the NFL, where teams are mailing in games because their playoff lot has already been cast? Would Alabama give a rat's ass about the SEC championship game this weekend? Maybe they would, and it would be a credit to their competitive fire if they did, but we almost certainly would be subject to Sportscenter and talk radio discussions on whether or not they should risk injury to their top players since they would have a playoff spot basically locked up. And if you say they would run the risk of falling out of favor with voters if they lost for not showing up, then we are still not immune to the concept of "style points" that is so loathed by the talking heads currently. As it stands right now, we have a perfect "semifinal" type scenario in the SEC title game, about as meaningful and big as a game can be, where one of these teams will earn a trip to the NC game. That would not be the case if a playoff was employed...we would be making a very clean and simple scenario much more complicated. Take it a step further. If a "Top 8 in the BCS" model was used, would there even be a need for conference championship games at all?

Simple answer. No. The playoff system would not destroy the regular season, and frankly I dont see how it would. First of all I dont see why or how a team would lay down thinking they have a free give away game. A team could be number #1 on the last week of college football, and easily drop to the 8 or 9 with a loss. If we use your example and we assume that USC just thinks we have a throw away game we dont really need this win, then they dont deserve to be in any playoff because then the reality of the fact that you might lose another game somewhere down the line and you are done, you are out. There is no garuntee that USC is going undefeated. To think that, especially when they are losing to Oregon St, a team they are clearly better then, would just be plain stupid.

Let's also disspel the all the criticisms of ADs and college presidents, and the self righteous ramblings that "it's all about the money". You're damn right it's about the money. As I mentioned, football is the vehicle by which 95% of D-1 schools fund their athletic departments. Where do you think all the money made via the bowls goes? To some AD's trust fund? In the Presidents' pockets? No, they go to fund the athletic departments of the schools, so they can pay for the women's and men's non-revenue sports to make road trips on something other than rickety school buses. So they can eat dinner at places other than McDonald's. So schools can fund athletic facilities and locker rooms for these sports without cutting in other areas. So there's a scholarship available for your daughter who's really good at soccer. Schools striving to collect as much money as possible to help ALL of their student atheletes, or to position themselves to be more equipped to do so is not a bad thing, ok?

I dont know what school you are possibly talking about. NCAAF is a nice profit, but it doesn't pay for everything. First of all, have you seen how much schools charge. Are you really gonna tell me some kid taking 4 classes and paying 30 K for it isnt turning a huge profit. Are you telling me, that the ridiculous overpricing of books with kids paying up to 500 a semester on books in some cases, isnt turning huge profits! Don't forget about the fact that college's purposely use new issues of books that practically say the same thing to make sure that used books are't being used from 10 years ago and that they continue to generate profits. Are you also telling me, that if their were a playoff, boosters would fall off the band wagon. TV Rights would be gone? Basketball wouldnt generate tons of money. ESPN paying for NCAA Baseball. My man, you are sadly mistaken if you think any school that is in Divison 1 football would be crippled by a playoff, not even close. Perfect example, Oklahoma St runs out of money for their new stadium. Oh look at that, oil tycoon billionaire hands them 150 million.

Lastly, let me say that, yes, every other sport has some sort of playoff system to determine it's champion. I get that. Can I be more clear that I do NOT want college football to be just like the NBA, or NFL, or even NCAA basketball? The NBA is fine. Playoffs are pretty cool. I get into it somewhere around May 1st. The NCAA tourney is pretty damn sweet. 8 days of games plus the final Monday nighter over a 2 week period. It's great. But most sports fans would tell you that they don't even pay attention to college hoops until after the Super Bowl is over. That's 3 months into the season. I'm not interested in any pining for a parallel to that in college football. I for one, enjoy bowl season just as much, if not more than I do the Tourney, and I still get to have a regular season in college football that is 20 times superior to that of college hoops. It's kind of like an analogy: I'm a big fan of two kinds of candy: Chocolate covered pretzels and Smarties. Love 'em both. If you would ask me if I'd rather have two of the same as an after dinner treat or one of both, I'd take one of both. Variety is the spice of life. I don't want a tourney style playoff in college football just like I wouldn't want a bunch of satellite games that might be cool matchups at the end of the college basketball season. Again, variety!

Most fans will tell you exactly that, they dont pay attention to college basketball till after the superbowl. But here is the trick of it all, basketball is not football. The NFL has a playoff as you know, and I dont know one person in Pittsburgh that doesn't follow the Steelers from Week 1 till the end of the season. The NBA and NHL are 82 game schedules. NCAAB is 30 something schedule. Your talking at most 14 maybe 15 games in a playoff system. The NFL has a possibility of 19 games and I can promise you that every fan of that certain team, that plays those 19 games, watches all 19 games. The fact that their are so little games compared to other sports is what makes football different. People will not be sitting around in early September, see a college football game, and say oh this doesnt mean shit for the end of the year why would i watch this. by the way, in the system we have now, it actually does in fact work that way. That games mean less in september then they do in November.

Panda,

I really appreciate your taking the time to read this. It was very long, and I appreciate your time. Thank you very much. However, I think you missed most of my points. If you re-read what I have said( not asking you to do this again, btw) and then look at your responses, you'll see that they aren't really correlated. (I realize you mentioned that you only skimmed parts of it...)

I realize that this is my fault because my original post isn't concise. Thanks though for your responses. I do feel strongly about this, and felt there were some things brought up that people maybe hadn't previously considered.

To me, a playoff lets me know who the best team is, and without one I'm not sure I can tell. That is the fundamental issue to me. We can all guess, but we don't know.

Gar,

Appreciate the response. I guess the summary of my position is that to me, determining who some bullshit institution officially recognizes as the National Champion is is only part of the point of having a colege football season. It's not the one and only sole purpose. Maybe I'm the only guy that thinks that, and everyone else thinks the only reason to have college football is to crown a national champ every year.

As I said, I don't want to risk changing things for the worse. One of the big problems with the current system is what happened to Utah this year. Teams like Utah from the unbestowed conferences don't get a chance now to play for a MNC, and they almost certainly wouldn't have in an 8 team playoff either because Texas and Bama would have trumped them as the 2 at larges. So we'd still have the same problem of the same teams benefitting from the system every year because they are ranked higher in September and are thought of in a higher light. (OSU, Texas, OU, USC, Florida, etc). If this year's Utah team can't play for a MNC, or be considered a MNC after soundly beating the team that was ranked #1 most of the season and being the only undefeated team, then we can pretty much assume that it's never gonna happen for a non-BCS team. So in the end, even with a playoff, this dynamic exists. And we will risk changing things for the worse when the residual improvement might not even be there. (i..e being inclusive for all deserving teams.) By the way, I understand the argument that a #9 team doesn't have a right, but I would argue that this Utah team sure does.

My playoff solution:

The 6 BCS Conference Champs get an Automatic Bid.

The remaining 6 spots are given to the highest rated at-large teams according to the BCS rankings.

The Coaches poll is thrown out of the computer rankings and the AP poll is inserted back in. That is a huge problem of mine already with teh BCS, the fact that the biggest joke we have in CFB (Coaches Poll) actually fuken matters. How many games a week do coaches watch besides their own? How many games do sportswriters watch? Case closed.

So you have 12 teams in the playoff, the top 4 seeds get a 1st round bye which leaves 8 remaining teams to play in Round 1, 8 in Round 2, 4 in Round 3, 2 in Round 4 for all the marbles and you settle this stuff on the field. The semis and the finals can still be BCS games, just rotate the order every yr.

Go back to an 11-game season, shorten the season to 12 regular season weeks with everyone getting 1 bye. There are still issues because some conferences playing a CCG and some don't but I think this system is fair and would include everyone who had a legit shot at being crowned champion.

You can still have 34 bowls or whatever they have now, just that 12 teams are in a playoff and the other 56 are playing a normal bowl game.

Shorten the break between the ending of the regular season to the first bowl game to about 2 weeks.

I read almost all of this, mostly looking for my main argument as to why a playoff almost isn't even feasible and very unlikely. You brought it up.

How in the hell are these fans expected to travel on such short notice? I know they do in the NCAA tournament, but in that case, you're talking about 10-15K fans max per team...you would be expecting at least what, 30-35K fans per team in this situation? I can't imagine how expensive it would be to travel likely across the country two, maybe even three weekends in a row, on a week's notice. Also, in basketball, a lot of top seeds get put within driving distance for their first- and second-round games, so major travel isn't required until later on, if even then (see UNC last year).

Also, what the hell are you going to do about neutral sites for the semis and finals with the NFL playoffs? Make sure they're in Detroit, St. Louis, etc. so you don't have to worry about scheduling conflicts? What would happen if you just happened to have a semifinal or final at the same site of a playoff game? You think the stadium or city could handle such chaos in one weekend?

I just don't see ANY way it's possible. You don't want to hold the semis and finals at the same BCS sites, because I'll be damned if I'm a fan who is going to make two separate trips to the same place on different weekends. That's just totally irrational.

Really shitty situation. Don't know how they'll figure it out.

Shorten the break between the ending of the regular season to the first bowl game to about 2 weeks.

I don't think the NCAA, universities, coaches, or even players would agree to this. You're either going to be having bowl games on finals week, or only days after finals ends. Preparation and all bowl festivites would be very tough to deal with while players are trying to take care of school.

Br@ssknux... I think I understand what your concerns are, and they are valid concerns IMO. I am sure that all of your points, Panda's, and most everyone elses, are being concidered if they haven't been already. I am of the firm belief that you have to "be careful what you wish for". This whole process, I am sure, will be well thought out and hopefully the best solution will rise to the surface. Your comments about how it would affect the income to the universities is spot on. I know Panda touched on this refering to the profits made from tuition, books, etc., but he has to remember that there are other expenses unrelated to sports that the universities need to pay for. Such as proffesor salaries, administration, building and maintenace expenses, etc. If I'm not mistaken, the profits from ball games generate all of the income needed to run the athletics departments, including the outrageous coaching salaries.

Thank you for your post. I didn't think it was too long. I thought they were very interesting views. I think they should leave the system we have now alone and with just a little tweaking it should be fine. And BTW, you have outdone SportsNut in essay writing. haha :shake:

Simple answer. No. The playoff system would not destroy the regular season, and frankly I dont see how it would. First of all I dont see why or how a team would lay down thinking they have a free give away game.

I'll give you 2 examples: Alabama-Auburn and Florida-Florida State from this year. Both teams had their divisions wrapped up, and both teams would then know that the SEC championship game would be the important game left in the year. Even if they lost their game that week, it wouldn't matter as long as they win the champ game to win the conference and get in to the playoff. Do you think that if Meyer had the chance to sit his key players in the FSU game that he wouldn't? The field conditions in that game were horrible. Why risk getting somebody (Harvin) injured when that game doesn't have any bearing on getting Florida into the playoff? With the system the way that it is, Florida knew that they were out of it if they didn't win that game. You wouldn't have that situation with a playoff. I like the fact that college football doesn't really have the equivalent of week 17 in the NFL.

I'll give you 2 examples: Alabama-Auburn and Florida-Florida State from this year. Both teams had their divisions wrapped up, and both teams would then know that the SEC championship game would be the important game left in the year. Even if they lost their game that week, it wouldn't matter as long as they win the champ game to win the conference and get in to the playoff. Do you think that if Meyer had the chance to sit his key players in the FSU game that he wouldn't? The field conditions in that game were horrible. Why risk getting somebody (Harvin) injured when that game doesn't have any bearing on getting Florida into the playoff? With the system the way that it is, Florida knew that they were out of it if they didn't win that game. You wouldn't have that situation with a playoff. I like the fact that college football doesn't really have the equivalent of week 17 in the NFL.

Exactly. And some NFL teams like the Arizona Cardinals started taking time off in week 15. Once they wrapped up the division, they had no interest in hosting the Minnesota Vikings or going on the road to play the Patriots. If you don't believe me, read up about the games and look at the scores.

In every major sport, teams who are locked into their playoff spots and cannot improve their standing, begin resting guys in the final few games of the season. It happens in EVERY SINGLE MAJOR TEAM SPORT, but yeah, college football would somehow be immune to this and the teams would continue to play hard through the final reg season game and the coaches would not rest players in the final weeks of the season.

(rolling eyes with sarcasm)

Last edited:
Exactly. And some NFL teams like the Arizona Cardinals started taking time off in week 15. Once they wrapped up the division, they had no interest in hosting the Minnesota Vikings or going on the road to play the Patriots. If you don't believe me, read up about the games and look at the scores.

In every major sport, teams who are locked into their playoff spots and cannot improve their standing, begin resting guys in the final few games of the season. It happens in EVERY SINGLE MAJOR TEAM SPORT, but yeah, college football would somehow be immune to this and the teams would continue to play hard through the final reg season game and the coaches would not rest players in the final weeks of the season.

(rolling eyes with sarcasm)

Uggghhh...I can't believe I am still posting in this forum, but since you are...

Never said that a playoff would not a affect the regular season somewhat; also agree that 4-team playoff would have been a likely nightmare this year. Nevertheless, a 4-team playoff would have minimal impact on the regular season (name me one mail in game this year if there would have been a 4 team playoff) most years in my opinion. MIGHT affect one or two regular season games at the most. As far as there still being controversy over the Top 4, no doubt esp this year, but I would rather have the controversy over the 4/5 slots than the 1/2/3 slots.

While you are (or aren't) refuting my statements above, think about what YOU would tell the Utah squad and HC Willingham if you had 5 minutes to explain to them why they were the only undefeated team yet excluded from the championship game. What...Rivals didn't rank enough of you 4 or 5 star recruits coming out of HS, say like OU or Florida, therefore you can't compete. Seriously, what do you tell 45 percent of your organization when they have NO shot of competing for the grand prize at the end of the season? The only answer they have given is 'at least we're giving the non-BCS conferences 9M dollars to split amongst themselves; 9M is a pittance and the BCS remains a cartel that cares nothing about fairness and everything about money...just like 'amateur' athletics should be, right?!

The argument against a playoff is being played out in the NFL this year. Basically we're looking at the equivalent of a USC-Virginia Tech championship game. And neither of those teams even knocked off Oklahoma or Florida enroute to the championship, instead they got bumped off in the early rounds by low seeds.

So are we really determining the best team in the country for this year?

I honestly feel that playoffs in CFB are being held back because the Big12 and SEC would constantly be the champs every year. Its kinda like everyone being bored with Ohio State in the championship and them getting blown out. Other conferences just can't match up.If you have an 8 team playoff I bet you 4 of those teams are from the Big12 and SEC.Thats a minimum of 4.Could be more. I may be slammed for these comments but its my opinion.

So with that said I think the other conferences behind closed doors are anti playoffs because they know this.Plus add to the fact the money issue with sponsors.

:smiley_acbe::smiley_acbe::smiley_acbe:

A ton of hurdles to overcome in establishing a playoff but bottom line...are we close to insuring the best team in CFB is crowned BCS Champ?

What about it Utah, USC, and Tejas fans?

Mully :cheers:

Back