Sidney Crosby signs 5 yr extension

Santacapper

Pretty much a regular
The Penguins have signed Sidney Crosby to a five-year contract extension worth about US$45 million that will keep the star centre in Pittsburgh through the 2012-13 season.
Financial terms were not disclosed, but the deal is believed to be worth about $45 million.
Crosby, who turns 20 next month, became the NHL's youngest MVP since Wayne Gretzky when he was awarded the Hart Trophy last month.
He led the NHL in scoring with 120 points (36-84).
"Sidney has proven himself to be a dynamic player and team leader at a very young age, and it is exciting news for our franchise and our fans to have him under contract for the next six seasons," GM Ray Shero said in a release on Tuesday. "When you've got a guy who leads the league in scoring and wins the MVP award at the age of 19, you know you have someone very special."

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><!--drop width--><TBODY><TR height=8><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- Begin Ad --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> if(!sops){if(p.sops){var sops=p.sops;}else{var sops="";}} if(dUnitBox==true){boxAd=true;} if(boxAd){if((!dUnitSky)||(!dUnitSuper)||(dUnitBox)){place300x250();}}</SCRIPT><!--- End Ad ---></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
The three-year, entry-level contract Crosby signed as a rookie lasts through the coming season. He's scheduled to earn $850,000 in base salary next year.
Crosby is the youngest player in NHL history to record 100 and 200 career points. He was named captain of the Penguins in May - becoming the youngest team captain in NHL history.
"I really enjoy playing and living in Pittsburgh and I want to be here for a long time," said Crosby. "Individual honours and scoring championships are great, but my No. 1 goal is to win the Stanley Cup. I'd love to be a part of bringing the Cup back here to Pittsburgh."
Pittsburgh won 25 more games last season than they had a year earlier and finished with 47 more points.
They were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs to eventual Stanley Cup finalist Ottawa.

obviously had to be done, but nice to get it out of the way, Pens making good moves,

that Atlantic division is going to be the best in the Eastern conference IMO. Rangers beefed up, Philly nice young team, even the Devils with a Brodeur on any night is going to be tough to beat...

Isles not so much, but still can win some games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07190/800305-61.stm

the most important thing to note about sid's signing.....

It has, however, become clear that Crosby will not seek the maximum salary to which he is entitled under the NHL's collective bargaining agreement. That would be 20 percent of the league's $50.3 million salary-cap maximum for the 2007-08 season, or $10.06 million per year for the life of the contract.

Crosby's motivation for doing that is to give management money that can be used to keep the team's nucleus of exceptional young talent together in coming years.

wow you gotta to love this guy!!! unselfish in every aspect of his life. its quite amazing. lets just hope management can do the right things now with the extra money...

let bring that Stanley Cup back to da 'burgh!!!

I think people are also forgetting Fleury. I think this kid has got what it takes to really shut it down. Sure he started out slow but come on he came in as an 18 year old goalie, there aren't a lot of decent young goalies out there but he really is showing grit and could of easily have been moved out a few seasons ago. One of my favorite goalies out in the East, i think aside from Brodeur, Miller and Lundqvist, Fleury is definitely going to be an all star soon enough.

I hope you're right, TM. I want to believe in Fleury, and I do, I just think he's maturing a little slower than hoped.

This is a great signing. I told you, Sid's not allowed to leave.

Let's bring the Cup back to the Igloo, kids.

I dont think Fleury will be their guy when they make a cup run... IMO anyways he has alot of flaws for a deep cup run

I think he will need another signing before he becomes an UFA if I remember correctly from the CBA, not sure though so dont quote me

I couldn't tell you what Fleury's deal is. He was so young when he came in, then they kept him in the minors almost as long as they could so they could keep his salary low and prepare for the lockout, I have zero idea where he is in the system.

But you hit on my worry. He seems to be improving, just very slowly. Once Ottawa figured him out in the playoffs, he never adjusted.

Neither did the Pens' defense, but that's a different kettle of fish.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07200/802869-100.stm

The Penguins have signed veteran NHL goaltender Ty Conklin.
He is expected to play for their American Hockey League affiliate in Wilkes-Barre, but would give the Penguins an experienced option if No. 1 goalie Marc-Andre Fleury or his backup, Dany Sabourin, struggles or is injured.
Conklin, 31, split last season between Columbus and Buffalo; he had a a 3.34 goals-against average and an .897 save percentage in 16 games.

Back