Should The NFL Change The Playoff Rule?

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
OK obv I am a Who Dat.....Here are the Saints again travelling OTR when they have a better record than the guys they play, in a division no one wanted to win.....remember SEA 7-9?

Serious tho, take the Saints out of it. Should the NFL look to seed these things differently?

Yes/No, and why?

I say yes

I think the NFL's got it right. They had it even more right when it was three divisions, but whaddayagonnado. I think it's still good. Win your division.

The more divisions and the more playoff teams allowed dilutes the playoffs (obviously) and reduces the significance of a division title … just look at the NBA … but I still think it means something in the NFL. Barely.

They should apply common sense to these situations. I'm still pissed the 2008 Titans had to host a 11-5 Ravens team, while the no.2 seed Steelers got a 8-8 Chargers team. I have no doubt the Titans win the AFC if it would have been seeded as any sane person would seed it.

They should apply common sense to these situations. I'm still pissed the 2008 Titans had to host a 11-5 Ravens team, while the no.2 seed Steelers got a 8-8 Chargers team. I have no doubt the Titans win the AFC if it would have been seeded as any sane person would seed it.
I have to think it is coming soon

Fuck no they shouldn't. No sport does this does it? Same way in hockey. I assume NBA is the same, though I haven't watched an NBA game in 20 years.

Can't see it ever changing. Divisions would become pointless.....punters would just bitch and moan about strength of schedules of teams who finish with better records. IMO NFL will want more of what unfolded on the weekend where there were 128 possible playoff scenarios that could have unfolded in the AFC alone

The eagles winning the NFC east is not an accomplishment. The rams would have went 10-6 in that division. They had 1 win over a playoff team and that was against the fudge packers without their leader.

Fuck no they shouldn't.

This.

Man, for a second there I thought I was going to be all alone.

1. If you change the format you'd have to change the schedule. Right now you have six division games, more than a third of your schedule. So if you base it all on record, you're rewarding teams that just happen to be the only good team in their division or that had a soft schedule. That's bullshit. If you're say, the Cleveland Football Browns and you're really good like you were that one time 20 years ago—and the Ravens are good, and the Steez are good, and the Bengals are good—and you go 9-7 and win your division, why should you be punished for that? Not only that, you don't want to take away the home/home division games and mess with the schedule as a whole, that's just a nightmare waiting to happen.

2. If you're the Saints (for example, honestly I'm not picking on them), and you're the better team than the Eagles, or the Cowboys—which they are—then you should be able to go beat them on their field. Period.

The only honest argument here would be financial, Team A has a better record than Team B so Team A should earn the money that comes from a playoff home game. But if Team A was second in their division, how could you say they're more deserving of that home game money than Team C who won the division. Especially if Team C is not getting a bye and has to play in the first round.

And, if you want to make the Team A > Team B argument for money, then the NFL can solve that financial issue on the back end by increasing the cut of the profit from that road playoff game for the team with the better record.

Shorter version: Fuck that shit, no they shouldn't.

agree 100%...i like how its set up. sure sometimes unfair things happen like the cards dont make the playoffs and 8-8 teams getting home games, but its how it is, and i usually HATE using the "because thats how its always been done" defense but in this case I just like how its set up. i like division rivalries, i like games being more meaningful than others

Personally, I enjoyed watching 7-9 seattle beat defending champion Saints.. You should not be rewarded for building a team that can only win indoors at home:grin:

Fuck no they shouldn't.

This.

Man, for a second there I thought I was going to be all alone.

1. If you change the format you'd have to change the schedule. Right now you have six division games, more than a third of your schedule. So if you base it all on record, you're rewarding teams that just happen to be the only good team in their division or that had a soft schedule. That's bullshit. If you're say, the Cleveland Football Browns and you're really good like you were that one time 20 years ago—and the Ravens are good, and the Steez are good, and the Bengals are good—and you go 9-7 and win your division, why should you be punished for that? Not only that, you don't want to take away the home/home division games and mess with the schedule as a whole, that's just a nightmare waiting to happen.

2. If you're the Saints (for example, honestly I'm not picking on them), and you're the better team than the Eagles, or the Cowboys—which they are—then you should be able to go beat them on their field. Period.

The only honest argument here would be financial, Team A has a better record than Team B so Team A should earn the money that comes from a playoff home game. But if Team A was second in their division, how could you say they're more deserving of that home game money than Team C who won the division. Especially if Team C is not getting a bye and has to play in the first round.

And, if you want to make the Team A > Team B argument for money, then the NFL can solve that financial issue on the back end by increasing the cut of the profit from that road playoff game for the team with the better record.

Shorter version: Fuck that shit, no they shouldn't.

love me some Joseph Public:charming:

If said team is 8-8 in the best division why should they be forced to play on the road vs a team with a cupcake schedule and a better record.

How about the NFL just bans domes? I mean the sport is meant to be played outdoors... then the saints wouldnt even be in the discussion :announce:

If said team is 8-8 in the best division why should they be forced to play on the road vs a team with a cupcake schedule and a better record.

Well you could argue that the complete opposite way. A team that wins a division at 8-8 got to play 6 games against teams that finished worse than 8-8 while a team that misses the playoffs at 10-6 likely played 4 games against division teams with a better record

The eagles winning the NFC east is not an accomplishment. The rams would have went 10-6 in that division. They had 1 win over a playoff team and that was against the fudge packers without their leader.

How many years was the NFC West a joke though? The Seahawks won the division at 7-9 a few years ago didn't they (and then proceeded to win a home playoff game against a WC Saints team)? It's all cyclical, every division goes through a period where their teams are great, and then a period where they are mediocre.

How about the NFL just bans domes? I mean the sport is meant to be played outdoors... then the saints wouldnt even be in the discussion :announce:
or any of the dome teams for that matter.......domes are good

watch the SB this year....one and done

Domes are not good. They just provide optimal conditions and provide more offense. That's what the nfl wants for media purposes but I don't think it's good for the game. It's really not fair that some teams have to deal with playing in below freezing temps and bad weather for half the year and others have half their games indoors. But whatever the conversation is silly.

If you take away the division teams being seeded highest, then you may as well just do each NFC team plays each NFC team once, and you play one AFC team per year.

Back