Should The Memphis Grizzlies Be Ashamed?

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
:thinking:

The broom? Ouchy....I say yes. Not taking away from the Spurs because they were awesome, but Jesus....talk about a no show

Big disappointment for sure. Total coaching mismatch and the lack of a pure scorer hurt. Yag trade burned them here.

Spurs just hungrier and better, playing for Tim's 5th ring before he retires...

Grizz were a bully all season and strangely played 'nice' in this series, it's almost like they were in awe of the Spurs.

Not sure they should be ashamed of the series, ashamed of Game 3 yeah...

Wasn't there two OT games? I wouldn't use the word "ashamed" but I would definitely say they need to find a scorer for themselves in the off-season as it was quite evident they don't have a go to guy on the floor for the most part. Zebo in the last round, yes, but this round they didn't have anyone to take over.

No way Memphis should be ashamed. Best record in team history, two playoff series wins...as a long-time Sacramento Kings fan I know what it's like to get tantalizingly close, but I'm sure this was a rewarding season for Grizz fans and they had a good ride. Next season Memphis either wins the conference or doesn't make it out of the first round...I lean toward the latter

Hell yea they should be ashamed. You can't get in a conference final and get ass waxed like that in this league and not be ashamed.

They could easily have been 2-1 up after 3 games. OT in NBA/NFL/NHL is lottery time (thou slightly less so now w/the rule changes in the NFL). So from my pov, no. They got waxed once, then only got done again after their hearts had been excised due to 2 tough losses.

Waxed in the sense of a sweep, BC. A loss is a loss and if you can't pull ONE off at home, that's shameful IMO.

They lost 2 of 4 games in regulation. In my book, shameful is losing all 4 in reg. You don't force OT without showing fight. Where's the fight in losing all 4 in reg.? We'll have to agree to disagree.

You're proving my point TBH. They couldn't pull off one game. OT doesn't go in the win/loss column, getting swept in a conference final with your star player sucking wang does. There isn't any pride or consolation in saying "Hey we took them to overtime!" Especially in the NBA.

Agree to disagree is correct, though.

:shake:

should change the name to the cleveland nick gilberts. wouldnt even need to hire a mascot, just use the real thing.

would probably record the first 82-0 season, sweep everyone in the playoffs.

Yes. I will never have the same respect I had for Zach Randolph prior to this series. He let his team down.

You're proving my point TBH. They couldn't pull off one game. OT doesn't go in the win/loss column, getting swept in a conference final with your star player sucking wang does. There isn't any pride or consolation in saying "Hey we took them to overtime!" Especially in the NBA.

Agree to disagree is correct, though.

:shake:

The point about forcing OT, is you've shown the other team hasn't been capable of beating your own effort in the normal allotted time. THEY needed extra time in order to overcome the effort you've put forth. Where should a team find shame in an effort that their opponent was unable to overcome in normal allotted time?
As far as OT itself goes, it's a lottery (as I already pointed out) One 3-ball for the other team goes in where your 3-ball rims out? that's it. That's all it takes to get beaten in extras.

This isn't about OT being some kind of faux win. This isn't about winning (if it was, there'd be no thread - you lose 4 straight, there's shame. But no one is fooled into thinking it's that black & white), this is about being ashamed, or not, of the effort you've put in, because the presumption is being swept = little, to no, or poor, effort. The fact the Spurs needed not 1 but 2 lottery periods to manage their sweep means, in my book, Mempiss has nothing to be shamed of. Zilch, zero.

How many teams I've seen lose series 4-1 that never put in 2 decent efforts like Mempiss did, I can't begin to count. (<- this is the observation that underscores my point.)

Last edited:
The players have nothing to be ashamed of. Coaching mismatch cost them their ticket. Spurs talent doesn't exceed their overall talent level. Parker was the only pure scorer on either team but they have one of the best front court duo's in the nba. PG mismatch cant be overlooked either.

Don't forget the Spurs revenge here guys....8 seed knocked them off as the 1 seed a few years back. They were very excited to get another crack... Rest will do SAS a world of good.

BOL Miami, b/c Timmy/Pop don't lose championships

I think that Memphis has nothing to be ashamed of, but they are in some problem looking forward.

Many talk about instant offense that Memphis need and they are right.

But, in my eyes, their main problem was simply that they were slower as a team.

Spurs were so much faster than them both in transition offense and transition defense, they managed to come help on Z-Bo and on the boards and still, managed to rarely leave an open shooter.

Hollins was outcoached, but with Phil retiring, can't see any coach in the league coming close to Pop's level, so it's strange to blame Hollins.
Pop is best playoff coach in the league, I doubt that many will argue otherwise...

Back