Shotgun, Shotgun, Shotgun.......... Shotgun

• Thread starter Thread starter dudleysdad
  • Start date Start date
D

dudleysdad

I wonder how many d1 Qb's know how to take a snap under center?

I am so sick of teams lining up in shotgun every single play. I witnessed Auburn with a 2nd and goal from the 1/2 yard line end up having a snap go over the Qb's head and they end up falling on the ball around the 12 yd line, end up missing a FG when all you have to do is take the snap from center and fall forward.

Then Zona State has a 1st and goal from inside the 1 and they line up in the shotgun, bad snap and 10 seconds later USC is walking in the endzone with a scoop n score.
goes from a 21-7 game to a 28-0 game. 36 inches coaches, 36 inches away from 6 pts and you have your qb getting the ball 6 yards deep lol

idiots..

It was talked about today on a few radio shows. I am sure this will spark some debate, but does everyone/anyone like what they saw in Lubbock on Saturday? Is that football?

It seems the B12(most) and some P12(not all) run this more than others. I am mixing a few thoughts/ideas in here duds, sorry to jack or clutter your thread, just wondered what people thought about this. And it goes back to your shotgun deal kinda.

It seems to me, no team has won the MNC with this brand of ball either. I guess Auburn to an extent, but not really right? They had a very good D and ran spread(which is different than what we saw in TX I guess).

It just strikes me as wild that almost the entire B12 plays this brand of football....I guess some enjoy it.

Thoughts?

I wonder how many d1 Qb's know how to take a snap under center?

I am so sick of teams lining up in shotgun every single play. I witnessed Auburn with a 2nd and goal from the 1/2 yard line end up having a snap go over the Qb's head and they end up falling on the ball around the 12 yd line, end up missing a FG when all you have to do is take the snap from center and fall forward.

Then Zona State has a 1st and goal from inside the 1 and they line up in the shotgun, bad snap and 10 seconds later USC is walking in the endzone with a scoop n score.
goes from a 21-7 game to a 28-0 game. 36 inches coaches, 36 inches away from 6 pts and you have your qb getting the ball 6 yards deep lol

idiots..

but back to your point....yep, crazy.

Did Manning get under center a few times on SUN night?

Personally I'm waiting to see the fallout from the first victory formation shotgun snap to result in a turnover that costs someone a game.

It was talked about today on a few radio shows. I am sure this will spark some debate, but does everyone/anyone like what they saw in Lubbock on Saturday? Is that football?

It seems the B12(most) and some P12(not all) run this more than others. I am mixing a few thoughts/ideas in here duds, sorry to jack or clutter your thread, just wondered what people thought about this. And it goes back to your shotgun deal kinda.

It seems to me, no team has won the MNC with this brand of ball either. I guess Auburn to an extent, but not really right? They had a very good D and ran spread(which is different than what we saw in TX I guess).

It just strikes me as wild that almost the entire B12 plays this brand of football....I guess some enjoy it.

Thoughts?

It's what happens when you have a quarterback

Rules have changed to promote passing and to prevent hard hitting and tackling .. it is only natural that offensive coordinators who paydays are going to exploit the game.

I am with Twinkie . what I watched with TCU and Texas Tech isn't football. Call me an old grumpy man. I don't care. That was borderline unwatchable no matter what you want to call it. There has to be a balance in the rules between offense and defense to make the game entertaining to me. I also admit, I prefer defense to offense so I begin with a bias.

Rules have changed to promote passing and to prevent hard hitting and tackling .. it is only natural that offensive coordinators who paydays are going to exploit the game.

I am with Twinkie . what I watched with TCU and Texas Tech isn't football. Call me an old grumpy man. I don't care. That was borderline unwatchable no matter what you want to call it. There has to be a balance in the rules between offense and defense to make the game entertaining to me. I also admit, I prefer defense to offense so I begin with a bias.

It was 7 on 7, the creator of the Tx spread. If you run it like SLC(high school), it's a running game. To have the spread and the old Wrecking Crew defense would be a dream. I never liked the "Pirate's" brand of the spread. KK is close to it. Patterson had to evolve or die in the BevoXII.
I've always loved the "I" myself.
Other extreme, the POS wishbone. Hated that worse.

Its easy to find athletes, hard to block and find QBs. So, the answer is put guys out in space and make safe throws.

Thoughts?

Could not stand it...the defenses for both teams were extremely poor @ tackling. I do think that with these teams who can pass & catch have a chance to win any game against most teams. But against the premier teams I think they lose. I would like to see Utah play TCU.

the lack of defense and bad tackling is a direct result of a defense being on the field for 80+ snaps a game. it's pretty damn hard to find enough kids and have enough depth to stop that many plays in that short of time.

the evolution of the game has passed us by, like clown was saying--the rules have changed to help this kind of offensive explosion, coaches are gonna exploit it as much as possible.

the lack of defense and bad tackling is a direct result of a defense being on the field for 80+ snaps a game. it's pretty damn hard to find enough kids and have enough depth to stop that many plays in that short of time.

the evolution of the game has passed us by, like clown was saying--the rules have changed to help this kind of offensive explosion, coaches are gonna exploit it as much as possible.

Maybe. But TCU has recruited Defense(they don't play these days I guess), right?

TX has/had?

These teams never seem to win the big one though....

tcu doesn't have a single starter on defense from last year. injuries, suspensions, etc.

Posted elsewhere, but bears repeating re: 2014 TCU injuries: running back B.J. Catalon missed five games (and was replaced by the even more effective Aaron Green), No. 4 receiver Deante' Gray missed two, and that was about it for the offense. On defense, the top nine linemen missed a combined one game, the top four linebackers missed zero, and the top nine defensive backs missed zero.

Stars aligned last year for TCU on the injury front. This year, not so much.

Defense has gotten tougher and tougher with the rule changes and the number of snaps they are on the field for.....it is what it is.

But the Shotgun formation on 3rd and 1 or 1st and goal at the 1.....I hate that shit.

Players are changing physically, coaching is changing to adapt to the players and this all starts in high school.... and trickles all the way to the pros.

Great for fantasy sports so people love it

Talking about similar topics on ESPN right now. More on the NFL side though. Players are not working on football skills in the offseason because of the CBA and they are just working out more and more. It's basically the same thing as what this thread is talking about

College athletes are really not bred for what the NFL wants. The NFL has to adapt to what comes forth from the highschool and collegiate level.

The thing at the HS level is you now have coaches who are running the spread/shotgun because it is the "cool" thing, the hot thing nowadays. I know a HS coach who has moved to the spread and I honestly have no idea why. It is a small school with no fucking skill position speed, umm what I would call necessary for running the spread but what do I know.

Back