Serena Williams

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
How dominant? THE best player is women's tennis and one of the best individual athletes ever. You have to thing she will get past the 24 mark held by Margaret Court.

I remember when she was just Venus' little sister lol.....

Congrats, go USA:cheers3:

She is incredible. As I find the women's game FAR more entertaining than the men's game, I have watched her more than any other player the last decade. She is just a great player without many weaknesses that her opponents can exploit. If not the best ever, she is right there.

She is incredible. As I find the women's game FAR more entertaining than the men's game, I have watched her more than any other player the last decade. She is just a great player without many weaknesses that her opponents can exploit. If not the best ever, she is right there.
You do? Not that I watch much of either but I can't get past all the grunting the women do.

You do? Not that I watch much of either but I can't get past all the grunting the women do.

I just prefer rallies and service breakage. Men's game the points are too fast and boring for my taste. I don't like the grunting either. Reminds me of them trying to scream with the gag i......errr nevermind

I just prefer rallies and service breakage. Men's game the points are too fast and boring for my taste. I don't like the grunting either. Reminds me of them trying to scream with the gag i......errr nevermind

the men's game has far longer rallies from what I've seen especially at wimbledon

Might just prefer less talented players leading to more mistakes and more chances for upsets..... More excitement....

How dominant? THE best player is women's tennis and one of the best individual athletes ever. You have to thing she will get past the 24 mark held by Margaret Court.

I remember when she was just Venus' little sister lol.....

Congrats, go USA:cheers3:

what do you base athleticism on though?
Serena is unfortunately part of a situation where she is just light years beyond her competitors because her competitors are just shit. She has not had a competitive foe/rival in years which begs the question, is Women's tennis washed up? We know who the top 4 players in ATP were for the past 5 years, and rivalries were built from that. But in WTA there are no rivalries so it just becomes meh.

Serena practically saved US tennis, without the Williams sisters, US tennis would be irrelevant.

Serena's biggest rival is herself, she's won everything so what keeps her motivated? Money? Legacy?

the men's game has far longer rallies from what I've seen especially at wimbledon

Might just prefer less talented players leading to more mistakes and more chances for upsets..... More excitement....

Men's rallies at Wimbeldon are the shortest of any rally average and any major (it's odd you'd think they were the longest, maybe some great matches you remember watching?). The rallies have gotten a few shots longer, on average, over the past decade, but 2 shot rallies at Wimbledon were the norm for men for quite some time.

View attachment 41124

VK will probably be surprised to see that the men now have longer rallies, or at least the same length, as the women. You can see the men have increased the average rally in the past 10 years by quite a bit.

There was a long time where it seemed that a men's "rally" was 2, maybe 3 shots. The technology had changed in the rackets, players got bigger and stronger, and it just seemed to be either an ace, or a quick 2 shot rally. Clearly that has changed since 2000ish.

VK will probably be surprised to see that the men now have longer rallies, or at least the same length, as the women. You can see the men have increased the average rally in the past 10 years by quite a bit.

There was a long time where it seemed that a men's "rally" was 2, maybe 3 shots. The technology had changed in the rackets, players got bigger and stronger, and it just seemed to be either an ace, or a quick 2 shot rally. Clearly that has changed since 2000ish.

This.
Borg thought he'd have his way coming back using a wooden racquet....oh boy what a mistake.

Ya you can tell when I was a true Tennis fan and it hasn't been for awhile. I have to admit, I find the numbers a little shocking but thanks for posting that as I was living in blissful ignorance to how much it has changed.

It's virtually impossible to hit the ball past the top mens players. Joker, murray, nadal, ferrer, nishikori, even fed...they get to fucking everything on hards and clay

Serena's biggest weapon is her head. So many women players are mentally weak, she has them beaten before they step on court

Back