SEC Wk 1

gps_3

Head of Alabama Department of Decision-Making
As I said in an earlier thread, I haven't spent as much time as usual capping games and looking at teams. Most of what I can provide this season will be based on the eye test, and I won't spend much time looking at games I have zero interest in watching. I wasn't even going to start a weekly thread until twinkie complained, so blame him for this. I plan for this to be more of a discussion thread rather than a picks thread. I will post my plays, but they will be so sporadic and I tend to fire in multiple times on Saturdays as my bankroll goes up or down, as well as my alcohol consumption. All of my lines are from a local and reflect the current line at the time I look at them. Looking forward to another great season on CTG

SEC Week 1:

USC -10/61 vs aTm
Ole Miss -10/52' vs Boise St (Atlanta)
Vandy -13'/50' vs Temple
Alabama -26/55' vs WVU (Atlanta)
Auburn -18'/57' vs Arky
UGA -7'/54' vs Clemson
UF -36'/51 vs Idaho
Miss St -30'/55 vs S Miss
LSU -5/50' vs Wisconsin (Houston)
Tenn -6/51' vs Utah St

Initial thoughts:

Didn't like the numbers on SC. Took 1h U 30'
No faith in Ole Miss until they actually do something. Feel like there will be points here. Took over
No thoughts on Vandy, but assume they take a step back after losing Franklin
Alabama feels high based on questions at QB/OL/CB/LB
Would have taken Arkansas at former #s, but missed it. Not touching it under 21. Under might be worth a look since I expect Bielema will run it a ton and do his best to keep the AU Offense off the field. If he can't though, AU might score 50
No opinion on UGA. Know nothing about either squad
Leaning toward taking UF as I feel like they want to get off to a great start offensively, and Idaho isn't good
Miss St # seems really high. Not sure I can take them there against an instate FBS opponent, though S Miss has been awful since Fedora left
I like LSU to win, but it feels like a FG game to me. Maybe an under bet or something with team totals
Everyone and their mother is on Utah St. I'm staying away, but not sure how you can trust UT with all the losses on the LOS, which is supposedly the SEC's advantage over smaller schools. Besides SEC speed of course

Other thoughts:

I'll likely ride Baylor ATS, TT O until they prove they can't do it, especially against the overmatched teams
FSU appears to have a cakewalk to the playoff, but funny things happen, and staying on top is certainly more difficult than getting there. I'm on OK St, then will re-assess FSU's mentality this season. There's a reason there have only been a couple of repeat champs in the last 30 years

Good luck to everyone this season. Will post thoughts and plays as I have time.

it's definitely put up or shut up time for Wallace and Hugh Freeze. I only really watched one game of theirs last year, and it was against Alabama. While it was a shut out, OM definitely had their chances to points on the board, but either Freeze or Wallace would mess it up. Think they went for it on 4th down 4 or 5 times, 3 of those in FG range, and didn't get any of them. Other times, they had open WR, and Bo didn't look their way or threw a bad pass. Will be interesting to see if they can make the jump to a SEC West contender

Interesting first night. Predictions of aTm's downfall seem a tad premature. That was as impressive an opening game, especially on offense, as any the last few seasons. The SEC West just got a little tougher it would seem. As good as aTm was, WTF was that on defense SC? Awful. Speaking of awful, it would appear that Vanderbilt has returned to it's former punching bag status. Derek Mason is no James Franklin it would appear. Ole Miss looked like Ole Miss always looks. Terrible one minute, great the next. Won't win the West, but might keep one of the other teams from winning it. Expect them to beat one of Alabama/Auburn/LSU/aTm, then lose to Arkansas. Or Vandy

dr bo exposed his bipolar self. thought he would lock it up this year. to be fair, that boise secondary is experienced and will be pretty good in the MWC. but jesus christ, bo--have fun in the SEC west.

dr bo exposed his bipolar self. thought he would lock it up this year. to be fair, that boise secondary is experienced and will be pretty good in the MWC. but jesus christ, bo--have fun in the SEC west.

3 first half INTs against Alabama, Auburn, LSU, or aTm (and probably Miss St), and Ole Miss is likely in a hole they can't dig out of

I didn't see the game with bsu and ole miss ... I saw the stats through three qtrs. basically where bsu was outgaining them and both teams had 3 turnovers I think it was ... and I saw ole miss had a goalline stand to force an extra point sized fg.

Then ole miss erupted obviously. Did Boise State just tire?

I didn't see the game with bsu and ole miss ... I saw the stats through three qtrs. basically where bsu was outgaining them and both teams had 3 turnovers I think it was ... and I saw ole miss had a goalline stand to force an extra point sized fg.

Then ole miss erupted obviously. Did Boise State just tire?

I didn't watch much of the 4th quarter, but saw on SportsCenter that Wallace had TDs on 3 consecutive attempts. One was a slant that the WR housed, so I think it's likely that Ole Miss wore out the Boise defenders. One of Boise's INT was in the EZ on a terrible pass thrown up for grabs. If they'd scored then, I think it would have been 10-7 Boise

Not that it would necessarily change your bet, being rumored down here that Robensen Therezie will be eligible and will play for AU this weekend. Apparently he had a positive drug test just before the national championship game due to a diluted sample. Second offense and carried a 6 game suspension and could be a full year due to the player tampering the sample. AU appealed saying that Therezie unintentionally over-hydrated, leading to the diluted sample. Sounds like they may have won the appeal. No school even comes close in how to successfully deal with NCAA. Tight ship Gus is running down there though...

Back