Head of Alabama Department of Decision-Making
Week 8 games in the SEC with openers:

Missouri (-14.5) vs Idaho

Kentucky (+10) @ Miss St

Alabama (-34) vs Tennessee

AU @ Ark - no line yet, I assume because of Arky QB situation

LSU (-7.5) @ Ole Miss

BYE: UF, UGA, SCAR, Vandy, aTm

We didn't learn a whole lot last week I don't think. Obviously the most surprising result was the AU-LSU game. I said last week that the next few games would tell us what kind of team AU is, and I think we're starting to figure it out. I watched most of the game, and like everyone else watching, including the AU players and coaches, I thought it was over at 20-0. LSU made adjustments, AU didn't. Simple as that. And is why I think Gus' offense is not good if he doesn't have a running threat at QB. I'm starting to lean toward AU being 7-5 this season. @ aTm will be no picnic with the way the rush the passer, and UGA and Alabama games will be tough. As an Alabama fan, I'd like to see Gus keep his job though. Arkansas is a mess, but it would be typical Bielema to win this game somehow

Wow at that Alabama-UT line. That is reason enough for Jones to be fired, to have fallen that far behind your biggest (in some fans' eyes) rival. He definitely will be fired, just a matter of when. Almost feel like they should go ahead and do it, just to avoid the off chance he beats Alabama and then wins out, drumming up support for one more year. Again, as an Alabama fan, I'd love for him to stay there forever. Damien Harris is 3rd in the SEC in rush yards, but is averaging fewer than 10 carries a game. This might be the freshest Alabama team in November-January we've ever seen. I don't think our top end talent is better than it has been, but I think this may be the deepest team we've had under Saban

Let down for LSU? 2 huge wins in a row, then travel to Oxford for a rivalry that is far more important to Ole Miss than LSU? Wonder what this line was 2 weeks ago? Last week?

Not sure I will get involved in any of these games this week. Maybe a Tennessee TT under. SEC feels like the MAC this season, where outside of a couple of teams, anyone can beat anyone, just with better players, but worse coaching

Beating a dead horse, but a coaching decision that baffled me was AU's decision to go for it on 4th and 10 from their own 30 or something with just under 2 minutes to play, and down one point. They had all 3 timeouts. How do you not kick it, force a 3 and out and get the ball back where a FG wins it, with your all-America PK? Is Gus not used to having a strong defense? Instead they call a timeout to draw up a play, fail on 4th down, LSU runs 3 plays and kicks a FG to make it a 4 point game. Or was Gus counting on a tipped pass Hail Mary for a TD? Blew my mind

The half time adjustment, or lack of, from AU wad baffling. It was abundantly apparent that LSU had figured things out. Live and die by the dive and deep ball. That offensive game plan was utterly disgusting. No creativity.

LSU TT us going to get a look. Ole Miss has been getting gashed on the ground.

That play was puzzling gps. I had to step back and look at it again today to give myself a more clear thought and totally agree with you. So, yeah, obviously I had LSU u10.5 tt in 2h. Screw you Gus haha.

Recaps:

TWEET

EMAIL

A look at all the action from the seventh weekend of the season in the SEC.

LSU 27, Auburn 23
Host LSU (5-2 overall, 2-1 in the SEC) fell behind 20-0 early in the second quarter and things looked bleak. No problem – LSU outscored Auburn 14-3 in the final 9:26 of the first half, then dominated in the second half to pull the upset. In a storyline no one saw coming, LSU QB Danny Etling vastly outplayed Auburn counterpart Jarrett Stidham as Auburn’s offense disappeared in the second half. Auburn (5-2, 3-1) threw for just 6 yards in the final two quarters, and LSU scored 13 fourth-quarter points, including a 75-yard punt return for a score by WR D.J. Chark on the first play of the fourth quarter that provided a huge spark. Auburn was just 4-of-15 on third down. The home team now has won 14 of the past 16 in this series; Auburn has not won in Baton Rouge since 1999.

Texas A&M 19, Florida 17
The Aggies (5-2, 3-1) kicked three field goals in the final 12:48, including the game-winner with 1:02 remaining, to down the host Gators (3-3, 3-2). A&M managed a season-low 263 yards and were just 4-of-16 on third down, but it still was enough to beat the Gators, who showed some signs of life offensively in the first half but were back to their usual inept self in the final two quarters. UF was 4-of-15 on third down and punted eight times. The last punt provided a turning point, as Christian Kirk returned it 43 yards to Florida’s 39 to set up the winning field goal. Florida outrushed Texas A&M 242-83, though 79 of Florida’s rushing yards came on one run by Feleipe Franks.

Alabama 41, Arkansas 9
The host Tide (7-0, 4-0) scored on the first play from scrimmage to set the tone for the easy win over the Razorbacks (2-4, 0-3). Damien Harris went for 75 yards on the first play – part of a 125-yard, two-TD outing – and the Tide rushed for 308 yards and four TDs in winning for the 11th consecutive time over Arkansas. The Hogs – who were without starting QB Austin Allen because of an injury – were limited to 27 rushing yards. Alabama committed two turnovers, doubling its total from the first six games.

Georgia 53, Missouri 28
The host Bulldogs (7-0, 4-0) set a school record for yards in a league game with 696 in the victory over the Tigers (1-5, 0-4). This was close midway through the second quarter, but Georgia scored three times – two field goals and a TD – in the final 7:06 of the first half to take a 34-21 halftime lead. The Bulldogs added 13 more points in the third quarter to remove any doubt. Georgia rushed for 376 yards and four TDs, with six players rushing for at least 30 yards and three of those rushing for at least 70. Georgia freshman QB Jake Fromm threw for a career-high 326 yards and two TDs. Mizzou’s Drew Lock was 15-of-25 for 253 yards and four TDs. But Mizzou rushed for just 59 yards and allowed Georgia to go 13-of-18 on third down.

South Carolina 15, Tennessee 9
The Gamecocks (5-2, 3-2) dominated in the second half in yardage and time of possession to come away with the win over the host Vols (3-3, 0-3), and the heat on Tennessee coach Butch Jones now is scalding. The Vols mounted one legitimate second-half drive and it was the final one of the game; they moved inside the Gamecocks’ 10 in the final 10 seconds and threw incomplete into the end zone on their final three plays. Behind new starting QB Jarrett Guarantano, the Vols led 9-3 at halftime after being forced to settle for field goals on three trips into the red zone, including two forays inside South Carolina’s 10. The Gamecocks scored a TD but missed the extra point late in the third period to tie it, then kicked two field goals in the final 5:21 to come away with the victory. The Vols finished with 253 yards, and 63 came on the final drive. The Gamecocks now are 3-16 all-time in Knoxville.

Ole Miss 57, Vanderbilt 35
The host Rebels (3-3, 1-2) rolled up 603 yards of offense in cruising past the Commodores (3-4, 0-4). Ole Miss scored four TDs in a span of 6:46 of the second quarter to open a 35-14 lead, and the Rebels never really were in danger after that. Ole Miss QB Shea Patterson was 22-of-35 for 351 yards and four TDs, and WR A.J. Brown had eight receptions for 174 yards and two TDs. Senior RB Jordan Wilkins ran for 113 yards and a TD; it was the second-best performance of his career and the best against a FBS opponent. Vandy RB Ralph Webb ran for a season-high 163 yards and two TDs. The Commodores allowed 13 total points in their first three games; they’ve allowed 239 in their past four, all against SEC foes.

Mississippi State 35, BYU 10
The host Bulldogs (4-2) dominated the Cougars (1-6), rolling to a win that snapped their two-game losing streak. Mississippi State rushed for 306 yards and three TDs, with RB Aeris Williams (114 yards and a score) and QB Nick Fitzgerald (103 yards and two TDs) each hitting the 100-yard plateau. Fitzgerald also threw for 241 yards and two TDs. BYU managed just 29 rushing yards and 176 total yards. Mississippi State, which led 21-3 at halftime, ran 84 plays; BYU had just 46.

Not sure what it opened at but Auburn is -14.5. Also interesting to note that Auburn is -3 v Georgia for those that like to look ahead.

Forgot about the Orgeron returning to Oxford dynamic. I know he'll be fired up. Will the team?

That LSU drive at the end of the first half was so ugly from the Auburn defense. Burnt on a 3 yard pass. Let go of a sack. Dropped an INT. Without that Auburn could have possibly still hung on

On Ole Miss catching a TD, pure situation and as you mentioned, home dog thinks it's a rivalry. Not close to tuned into SEC though...pure sitch.

Like I mentioned, I have no idea what to think about the SEC currently. Like all football, both college and pro, the product just isn't as good as it used to be. I guess it's some combination of the changing rules, fewer practices, and poor coaching At least college is still entertaining and the parity certainly seems to be there. I kind of like Ole Miss catching the points, and last week showed me that they haven't quit on the season just yet

Texas A&M did have a 4th qrt TD called back because Kirk was lined up wrong, Ags got a FG out of that possession.

Webb ran for 163 and he only had 142 his previous 4 games combined. Not that it is news, but reinforces the lack of run D, not just vs rushing powerhouses, but vs everyone. In their IA games Cal posted season high rushing y and SBama posted second high rushing y vs Ole Miss and now Vandy by far had their highest rushing production of the year vs IA against Rebs.

That 79y Franks run was pretty unbelievable. He's not that fast and Ags just kept diving at his feet.

It won't be overlooked

It's a big game for LSU.....they are a rival

Exactly. I was confused by the "It's a rivalry for Ole Miss" talk. I don't think that LSU's players will be fired up for the same reasons that O is, and while LSU fans may hate losing this one more than they enjoy winning it, it's not as one sided as some seem to believe. Motivation shouldn't be an issue for either side.

Exactly. I was confused by the "It's a rivalry for Ole Miss" talk. I don't think that LSU's players will be fired up for the same reasons that O is, and while LSU fans may hate losing this one more than they enjoy winning it, it's not as one sided as some seem to believe. Motivation shouldn't be an issue for either side.
:handshake2:

Good evening SEC guys: Missouri has dropped from 14.5 to 14 now, and I'm having a hard time staying off the Tigers here. My thought on this game is that Missouri got smacked three straight but now has had some offensive success the last two weeks, but still no Ws to show for it. Sometimes teams will use these midseason non-conference games to get healthy, rotate guys in, etc. But for a team like Missouri, "getting healthy" could just as easily mean gain some confidence in the midst of a five-game losing skid. Back at home for the first time in a month with an early kickoff against a Pacific Time Zone team, so 9 am start for them. Makes for a potentially tough spot for Idaho coming just a week after blowing a 20-0 third quarter lead against the Sun Belt favorites in Appy State.

SEC is admittedly (along with the ACC) the league I am least knowledgeable among the Power 5, so I thought I'd check in and see if anyone here had thoughts on this one.

Just in watching some Idaho football last year and this year, they are not the same team this year. Apparently App St is not either, they've had some curious games as well. I guess what I am saying is I would feel better taking Missouri against this Idaho team vs last year's Idaho team. Just my two cents if it helps you get one person's quick perspective on Idaho.

I realize Tennessee is terrible. I realize Alabama is pretty bueno. I realize that the vols players are not trying hard for their coach at the moment. But isn't this a game that the players will get up for regardless? This seems like an awfully high spread.

I realize Tennessee is terrible. I realize Alabama is pretty bueno. I realize that the vols players are not trying hard for their coach at the moment. But isn't this a game that the players will get up for regardless? This seems like an awfully high spread.

Of course they're pumped tö play Bama. But will they still be motivated when they're down 17-0 and realize that they can't win? Then blowout

The bigger question is how many points will they score, if any. This is a rivalry game for both teams. UT is playing for a lame duck coach. "Walking the green line"

Normally I'd agree with you, but I think this one will be ugly. Like 52-3 ugly.

I’m on UK +12 and ole miss +7. Also took a stab at Alabama -7.5 1q. Alabama best 1q scoring team in country, Tenny one of the worst

Back