SEC Week 8 Discussion

gps_3

Head of Alabama Department of Decision-Making
Ok guys, I'm back and will be around more this week and moving forward. Thanks to BAR for getting the thread up last week. Starting to get to that point in the season where depth charts are being tested, and most teams are finding the competition levels increasing. Here's this week's slate:

Saturday, October 21, 2023

Jim Fisher is 43-24 at A&M. Kevin Sumlin was 45-22 at this point. Fisher's avg recruiting class rank over the last five years is 6.8. Sumlin's last five averaged 11.2.

Fisher better be living a clean life.

I was going to ask how the Ags are feeling about Jimbo. Is the price of oil high enough for the boosters to consider paying the buyout yet? I know they can't be happy. They should have not lost that game Saturday. Injuries are piling up too, so I can see it being a rough finish to the season

Ole Miss' WR Jordan Watkins broke his hand in practice last week. Harris is banged up again. They're cursed at WR this year. I think 7 is too high for Freeze's Super Bowl.
Huge concern with the Freeze angle, I've loved fading Auburn to this point because their offense is completely offensive. Think if Ole Miss scores 20 they should cover but this could be the week AU resorts to trick plays

Alright I staked a fairly big claim on Under 56.5 in Ole Miss/Auburn. I may buy back a little after injury updates this week.

Edited: I grabbed more after the number against me. I don't get it.

Last edited:
Huge concern with the Freeze angle, I've loved fading Auburn to this point because their offense is completely offensive. Think if Ole Miss scores 20 they should cover but this could be the week AU resorts to trick plays
Of the 3 big home games for AU this season (UGA, Alabama, Ole Miss), this certainly seems the most winnable, but they are just really poor on the offensive side of the ball. Seems to be an epidemic in NCAAF this season. I like the under as Grovehard recommended

On the Alabama side, it appears we'll have Malachi Moore back which is huge. He was probably available last week, but they kept him out as a precaution, and we should have been able to easily handle Arky without him (whoops). Alabama seems deadset on making everything harder than it should be this season, so I think this will be a close game no matter who wins. Under is certainly in play, and I'd lean taking the points if forced to take a side. Only way Alabama covers IMO is if they hold Tenn to 14 or less. Not saying it can't happen, but nothing I've seen this year tells me that Alabama is capable of beating any team with a pulse by double digits. For my sake, I'm hopeful this is the week we put it all together, especially on offense. The defense is trending toward being one of the top units in the country, but when the offense stalls, it puts them in some pretty tough spots. I expect the crowd to be really into it, and Tenn has only played one true road game (L @ Florida), so it's fair to expect them to struggle some. I think it will end up being something like 24-20, 23-17, and I'll pick Alabama to win, but a loss won't shock me

Does Arkansas have anything left in the tank? Despite their record, I think they are actually a decent team, just have had a brutal schedule and some bad injury luck. Haven't seen anything (bc I haven't looked) on Rocket Sanders' availability. I saw a rumor before our game that there were some issues with Sanders not related to injury, but haven't seen it corroborated. Just think they should be able to handle Miss St pretty easily if they put the effort in. 4 straight conference games away from home should never happen. Certainly they should be glad to be back in Fayetteville

Does Arkansas have anything left in the tank? Despite their record, I think they are actually a decent team, just have had a brutal schedule and some bad injury luck. Haven't seen anything (bc I haven't looked) on Rocket Sanders' availability. I saw a rumor before our game that there were some issues with Sanders not related to injury, but haven't seen it corroborated. Just think they should be able to handle Miss St pretty easily if they put the effort in. 4 straight conference games away from home should never happen. Certainly they should be glad to be back in Fayetteville
Arky has been good to me this year. Real tough team, coming real close game after game.
And as you said, the schedule is brutal. I wanna back em here but I’m hesitant

No Will Rogers for Miss St. I’m going to fire in on Arky

1h under in Bama/Tenn. Most of Alabama’s offensive “success” this season has been in the 2nd half, save Arky game last week. Those defenses combined with slow starts from Bama make me think this is the safest play

I’m with Grove on the under in AU

Am on the over multiple ways in SC/Mizzou

No thoughts on LSU game. Does Army still run the option? Seems like a dangerous game from an injury standpoint if there’s going to be a bunch of low blocks.

Reactions: KJ
No thoughts on LSU game. Does Army still run the option? Seems like a dangerous game from an injury standpoint if there’s going to be a bunch of low blocks.
Weird game for Army

We get the pumped up fanfare of the Army/Navy game every year but I have to think this game is what they've really looked forward to this season. Now if that even matters is another story. Think it's lower scoring.

Back