SEC Week 3 Discussion

Got a few interesting ones here with conference play getting started. Here's where I have my PR for those games:

LSU -9
UGA -25
Tennessee -8

If Ole Miss doesn’t get any of their skill guys back I don’t see them covering 20. Obviously 21 would be preferable, but GT seems capable of keeping it within 13-18 if Ole Miss is rolling out back ups at every skill position except RB.

I don't think SC has any chance of upsetting UGA, but it will be interesting to see if UGA gets off to a slow start or not.

I'd expect Alabama to cover in this one. I'm not sure how we're going to look moving into conference play, but that game Saturday certainly ended with far more questions than answers. You'd think we see more than one QB, but Saban can be loyal to a fault in some instances. I think his patience with Milroe is intended to not kill his confidence, but you can't throw the ball directly to the opposing DBs multiple times and expect to win games against good competition. I was optimistic on Milroe going into the game, but unless we change the way we run the offense, I don't see how he can be successful

I'm intrigued by the LSU/MSU game. Hopefully can learn more about these teams

With what I saw against Utah, I don't think Florida has much of a chance against Tenn. Defending that offense takes discipline and winning 1 on 1 at the LOS, and I jsut don't see that happening. Maybe the road environment will help. I don't think Milton is close to where Hooker was, but I believe they will score. I do not have confidence that Florida will

I think this may be the most questions I've had about this conference in a long time. Obviously the results in the P5 non-conference games so far is not what we expected, but I do think that FSU and Texas are legit playoff contenders. And I think Alabama and LSU still could be. UGA is still the class of the conference, but I'm not confident they are the class of the national picture this season either. Should make for a pretty entertaining conference season

UGA too strong up front on both sides of the ball. We got no shot of stopping that. 25 is unrealistic for the dog to cover here on the road unless qb play is out of control. Defense didn’t look that great in the first half against furman either.

Furman game Doty didn’t look that good when he went in for a couple drives after they took Rattler out but Sellers, as I said, was amazing. Kid was highly undervalued due to injury in his junior season. He is an amazing player and will be the starter once Rattler is gone.

I don't think SC has any chance of upsetting UGA, but it will be interesting to see if UGA gets off to a slow start or not.

I'd expect Alabama to cover in this one. I'm not sure how we're going to look moving into conference play, but that game Saturday certainly ended with far more questions than answers. You'd think we see more than one QB, but Saban can be loyal to a fault in some instances. I think his patience with Milroe is intended to not kill his confidence, but you can't throw the ball directly to the opposing DBs multiple times and expect to win games against good competition. I was optimistic on Milroe going into the game, but unless we change the way we run the offense, I don't see how he can be successful

I'm intrigued by the LSU/MSU game. Hopefully can learn more about these teams

With what I saw against Utah, I don't think Florida has much of a chance against Tenn. Defending that offense takes discipline and winning 1 on 1 at the LOS, and I jsut don't see that happening. Maybe the road environment will help. I don't think Milton is close to where Hooker was, but I believe they will score. I do not have confidence that Florida will

I think this may be the most questions I've had about this conference in a long time. Obviously the results in the P5 non-conference games so far is not what we expected, but I do think that FSU and Texas are legit playoff contenders. And I think Alabama and LSU still could be. UGA is still the class of the conference, but I'm not confident they are the class of the national picture this season either. Should make for a pretty entertaining conference season
What about the total? 61seems awfully high.

What about the total? 61seems awfully high.
It does seem high. My worry would be that if we do end up playing multiple QBs in an effort to see what we have outside Milroe, the playbook will be far more open than it was when Buchner and Simpson came in against MTSU. But 45-7 feels pretty right to me as far score

If Ole Miss doesn’t get any of their skill guys back I don’t see them covering 20. Obviously 21 would be preferable, but GT seems capable of keeping it within 13-18 if Ole Miss is rolling out back ups at every skill position except RB.
Seems like Harris will play? And Franklin was practicing this week and may make his debut. I will be there in Oxford Saturday. We will see. I feel like Judkins will have a breakout game and we will get the run game going.

There is a lot of chatter that Tyler Buchner will be the starter for Alabama this weekend. I am not certain that he is any better than Milroe, but after last week, I do think it prudent to kick the tires on someone else. The story of this year's Alabama team may be the lack of development of Ty Simpson. I have heard from many people who would know that the coaching staff, and especially Saban, expected Simpson to take the reins and win the QB1 job in spring. When he didn't, that's the chain reaction we saw that ended up where we are. Not to say the season is a wash already, that's silly, but having an unsettled QB situation with a very talented, though inexperienced, roster is not a recipe for big time success. No matter who starts or plays QB for Alabama this week, I still expect to cover. And it will be nice to see how the defense attacks their offense, given it's similarity to Tennessee's

Maybe UF 1h is the way to go? Tenny has back to back slow starts, maybe crowd and emotion can get Florida to play well for a bit?

I don't think you can bet anything but Miss St in that one. Cowbells at 11am are tough to deal with. And I'm not sure what LSU is yet. Are they still going to try to turn Perkins into Ray Lewis? Or let him be Lawrence Taylor like he was born to be?

There is a lot of chatter that Tyler Buchner will be the starter for Alabama this weekend. I am not certain that he is any better than Milroe, but after last week, I do think it prudent to kick the tires on someone else. The story of this year's Alabama team may be the lack of development of Ty Simpson. I have heard from many people who would know that the coaching staff, and especially Saban, expected Simpson to take the reins and win the QB1 job in spring. When he didn't, that's the chain reaction we saw that ended up where we are. Not to say the season is a wash already, that's silly, but having an unsettled QB situation with a very talented, though inexperienced, roster is not a recipe for big time success. No matter who starts or plays QB for Alabama this week, I still expect to cover. And it will be nice to see how the defense attacks their offense, given it's similarity to Tennessee's
And not that anyone here cares but me, but the common sentiment is that if Buchner is indeed the starter, Ty Simpson is the backup and Milroe's career at Alabama is effectively over

I don't think you can bet anything but Miss St in that one. Cowbells at 11am are tough to deal with. And I'm not sure what LSU is yet. Are they still going to try to turn Perkins into Ray Lewis? Or let him be Lawrence Taylor like he was born to be?
The latter while still mixing him in with middle LB. I do kinda buy a tad bit of what Kelly said about getting him in at middle LB because of his size and what he is likely to play in NFL.
But yea. He knows he can’t slant it so much he becomes a non factor.

On the game, I kinda agree with you. if I didn’t state that it in this thread I’m sure I did elsewhere. 11AM in Starkville with a veteran QB is never ideal. I’m not quite sure this Messy St D is like in years past though. I haven’t watched full games with them but I’ve seen a decent amount.
That said, I don’t see many people rushing to back State here either. And the reason, at least for me, is that LSU in the 1st half vs FSU that most assume and I think are pretty fucking good.

It might be late but LSU covers.
Last year 3 4th quarter TDs were the difference. This isnt the NW. All that running is not gonna cut it.

I've bet LSU vs Messy for years and it's been profitable. Obv depending on line, this may be a "depending on line" moment.

I have to say I was on board laying the wood with Bama if Milroe was in there, but I'm scared off by Buchner. I know I probably shouldn't be, and I get why Tide is moving away from him, but at least in terms of this particular game and the cover, Milroe would have been too much athlete for USF IMO. He's not the guy to get them where they need to be long term though, so this makes sense.

I have to say I was on board laying the wood with Bama if Milroe was in there, but I'm scared off by Buchner. I know I probably shouldn't be, and I get why Tide is moving away from him, but at least in terms of this particular game and the cover, Milroe would have been too much athlete for USF IMO. He's not the guy to get them where they need to be long term though, so this makes sense.
That's a fair concern. I don't think the offense changes much (except hopefully the decision-making) with Buchner in there. While certainly not the athlete Milroe is, he's a pretty good runner himself. If we are to believe what has been reported since fall camp started, that all 3 QBs were basically even and Milroe's only advantage was experience and time in the Alabama system, then I'm not sure there will be a drop-off. There may not be an improvement either, but for the purposes of this game, I still think Alabama covers. The defense had to have had a brutal film study of that 4th quarter against Texas, so I'm sure they are wanting to redeem themselves as well.

Seems like Harris will play? And Franklin was practicing this week and may make his debut. I will be there in Oxford Saturday. We will see. I feel like Judkins will have a breakout game and we will get the run game going.
I would be shocked if Harris played. He was wearing a full leg cast as of Wednesday. I’m less confident on Franklin’s status. Quinshon is also now questionable.

Attachments

• IMG_9880.jpg
    IMG_9880.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 8
I would be shocked if Harris played. He was wearing a full leg cast as of Wednesday. I’m less confident on Franklin’s status. Quinshon is also now questionable.
Not good! I just hate how Kiffin gives almost no info on injuries and when he does, he’s usually lying about the situation. Thanks for the update!

I’m on SC 1h and UF 1h. Playing against UGA and UT’s slow starts and and banking on crowd and emotion for the home dogs

Harris out and Judkins doubtful (not that Ole Miss has been running well anyway). Now sitting 16.5 most places. Sandwich spot with Bama on deck and Ga Tech has been impressive throwing the ball.

:shake:

I was gonna say. I’d be terrified bro
My only solace is that we looked even worse against Arkansas in 2014 the week after losing to Ole Miss in the Katy Perry gameday game. But I can't believe how bad the OL is after hearing all of fall camp how good they were. And not from the Bama homer sites either

My only solace is that we looked even worse against Arkansas in 2014 the week after losing to Ole Miss in the Katy Perry gameday game. But I can't believe how bad the OL is after hearing all of fall camp how good they were. And not from the Bama homer sites either
Cole had em starting in the NFL. All of em.

It’s a murky year.

Cole had em starting in the NFL. All of em.

It’s a murky year.
He's probably not wrong, but they are definitely not gelling as a unit yet. The true freshman at LT, Proctor, is especially struggling. I believe LSU had some growing pains at tackle last year with some freshmen. Tyler Booker didn't play today either, so I guess there's that, but it was USF. Our 2nd team should be able to block them

He's probably not wrong, but they are definitely not gelling as a unit yet. The true freshman at LT, Proctor, is especially struggling. I believe LSU had some growing pains at tackle last year with some freshmen. Tyler Booker didn't play today either, so I guess there's that, but it was USF. Our 2nd team should be able to block them
It’s the QB dog. End of the day.
Whichever one.

Back