SEC Week 2 Discussion

gps_3

Head of Alabama Department of Decision-Making
This week may be in the running for worst conference week with the week in November. A couple of games of interest and the first conference game of the season.

Still working on my conference PRs, but I make Mizzou at Kentucky (-6.5)

WEEK 2
2Sat, September 11South Carolina Gamecocks
team-logo-255-50x50.png
@
team-logo-156-50x50.png
East Carolina Pirates
11:00 AM – ESN2
2Sat, September 11Pittsburgh Panthers
team-logo-173-50x50.png
@
team-logo-257-50x50.png
Tennessee Volunteers
11:00 AM – ESPN
2Sat, September 11Florida Gators
team-logo-258-50x50.png
@
team-logo-157-50x50.png
South Florida Bulls
12:00 PM – ABC
2Sat, September 11Texas A&M Aggies
team-logo-268-50x50.png
@
team-logo-251-50x50.png
Colorado Buffaloes
2:30 PM – Fox
2Sat, September 11UAB Blazers
team-logo-646-50x50.png
@
team-logo-259-50x50.png
Georgia Bulldogs
2:30 PM – ESN2
2Sat, September 11North Carolina State Wolfpack
team-logo-168-50x50.png
@
team-logo-265-50x50.png
Mississippi State Bulldogs
6:00 PM – ESN2
2Sat, September 11Texas Longhorns
team-logo-182-50x50.png
@
team-logo-264-50x50.png
Arkansas Razorbacks
6:00 PM – ESPN
2Sat, September 11Missouri Tigers
team-logo-261-50x50.png
@
team-logo-256-50x50.png
Kentucky Wildcats
6:30 PM – SECN
2Sat, September 11Vanderbilt Commodores
team-logo-260-50x50.png
@
team-logo-233-50x50.png
Colorado State Rams
9:00 PM – CBSS

Some of these lines tell you all you need to know about what the books think of the bottom of the SEC

I want to like UAB ATS against UGA coming off that emotional win, but was wanting at least 30. I think Bill Clark is among the top coaches in the game, and a letdown seems obvious, but that defense is so good.

Several games that I'm very interested in the result, but not sure I'm going to watch much live. Mainly, what do Tenny, Florida, Hogs, Miss St, and even aTm look like after kind of sluggish starts in week 1.

I was high on UK preseason, and nothing from Saturday diminishes that. Will almost certainly be on them. Haven't dived into the other lines much yet, nothing really stands out at first glance, but I'm sure I'll talk myself into several by Saturday

I expect Vols offense to look more crisp this week. Think they went with a very simple playbook for BG. Expect to see some wrinkles this week. Not sure I have the guts to bet them spread, but full game over looks nice.

pitt front 7 is pretty much always really good imo.. i like them a lot in this one, think i like both acc schools traveling to the sec this weekend.. i know im crazy but i think lot the acc underrated, once you get past the overrated teams at the top! lol.. BC, ncst, and pitt im pretty high on this year.. cant wait for BC/mizzou, hoping mizzou looks good enough leading up to that game to get a good number on BC!!

pitt front 7 is pretty much always really good imo.. i like them a lot in this one, think i like both acc schools traveling to the sec this weekend.. i know im crazy but i think lot the acc underrated, once you get past the overrated teams at the top! lol.. BC, ncst, and pitt im pretty high on this year.. cant wait for BC/mizzou, hoping mizzou looks good enough leading up to that game to get a good number on BC!!
ACC had an absolutely brutal weekend.

ACC had an absolutely brutal weekend.

no doubt but not the teams im high on (other than being totally wrong bout unc, lol), so think it kinda helps my cause as it hurts the perception of all the teams in the conf despite the 3 i really like doing exactly what they were supposed to against crappy teams.

It was Jacksonville State, but I thought the UAB O had a different feel. Their play calling was more aggressive and Johnston was really good on some of his accuracy and deep balls. The replacements for their top 2 2020 receivers lost made plays plus they have some good TEs. Not that I would actually think they can play like that, that well, vs Georgia, but I am saying comparing their level of play and style on offense to 2020, 2019, 2018 I will say that UAB this season appears to be better suited to if they were going to stay somewhat in a game vs a top SEC team, they look better suited to do so right now. And UAB's D could offer some resistance to Dawgs as well. All that said, UGA has buried some teams like this before (Ark St 2019, MTSU 2018, App St 2017). Previous UAB games vs SEC: 2019 lost 7-30 at Tenn, 2018 lost 20-41 at aTm, 2017 7-36 at Florida. This UAB team looks better than those.

Oklahoma RB Bradford BACK to LSU

That’s a crazy one. He’s needed it seems but just an odd story all around

I fucked up not pouncing on pitt-2.5 when I saw it. Now they up to -3.5. I just feel like I do better to wait even tho it often cost me line value, sometimes to the point I pass on a play.

It was Jacksonville State, but I thought the UAB O had a different feel. Their play calling was more aggressive and Johnston was really good on some of his accuracy and deep balls. The replacements for their top 2 2020 receivers lost made plays plus they have some good TEs. Not that I would actually think they can play like that, that well, vs Georgia, but I am saying comparing their level of play and style on offense to 2020, 2019, 2018 I will say that UAB this season appears to be better suited to if they were going to stay somewhat in a game vs a top SEC team, they look better suited to do so right now. And UAB's D could offer some resistance to Dawgs as well. All that said, UGA has buried some teams like this before (Ark St 2019, MTSU 2018, App St 2017). Previous UAB games vs SEC: 2019 lost 7-30 at Tenn, 2018 lost 20-41 at aTm, 2017 7-36 at Florida. This UAB team looks better than those.

I thought Jacksonville st defense did a really good job on uab for some time. I felt like they just wore down as the offense did them no favors. I can’t imagine Uga defense plays their A game and uab gets much of anything, if not for the covid concerns on unknown Uga players think I would lay it or play the uab tt under. Maybe I just didn’t pay close enough attention in 2nd half to see in uab what you did? Very possible.

Any sort of Bama line? Guessing it would be in the mid 50's?

This may be one of those games to bet the under and pray Mercer doesn't score. We have Florida next week, so my guess is Saban wants the starters to get their work in, make it to halftime and then let the backups play. I wouldn't look for anything too exotic offensively, especially in the 2nd half, as long as the game is under control

This may be one of those games to bet the under and pray Mercer doesn't score. We have Florida next week, so my guess is Saban wants the starters to get their work in, make it to halftime and then let the backups play. I wouldn't look for anything too exotic offensively, especially in the 2nd half, as long as the game is under control

mercer 1st half team total under maybe? If there even is one? Assuming it be less than 3. Lol

3.5 for the game?

I don’t like that as much cause like gps said it prob be backups in 2nd half. Not that I think Mercer will score on bama b team but just tough to take a team to get shut out when bama best won’t be playing half the game. Much rather have under 1 1st half I think but prob won’t be a option.

I don't like any of it. Was just wondering if the TT for the game might be 3.5 / can Mercer score a touchdown?

Saban went off during his presser yesterday about the poor effort in practice so far this week. Will be interesting to see how the team responds and what players may find themselves getting less opportunity on Saturday

Saban went off during his presser yesterday about the poor effort in practice so far this week. Will be interesting to see how the team responds and what players may find themselves getting less opportunity on Saturday
Can’t blame the players for knowing it’s Mercer they up against,

will Saban put in the starters for 3 quarters instead of 2 quarters because of their lack of effort in practice?

Can’t blame the players for knowing it’s Mercer they up against,

will Saban put in the starters for 3 quarters instead of 2 quarters because of their lack of effort in practice?
I'd say the offensive starters are in for at least one drive in the 2nd half. Defensive starters may be in longer due to larger number of substitutions

Vanderbilt QB Coach Joey Lynch was at Colorado State last season as their OC. Lynch calls offensive plays for Vandy.

TE Ben Bresnahan is out this week.

Not sure who it might help more...Tennessee DC Tim Banks was Penn State co-DC the past 5 years. Pitt played Penn St 4x in that span.

Pitt scored 10 pts in 2019, 6 pts in 2018, 14 pts in 2017 and 42 pts in 2016 (Pitt averaged 41ppg in '16). Penn State had some really strong defenses 2017-2019.

The only season Penn State played current Pitt OC Mark Whipple was 2019.

So maybe it helps Pitt in a sense they know some of the tenancies Tenn might employ on D. Or it might help Tennessee as their DC has been part of multiple gameplans vs Pitt (vs Kenny Pickett in 2018 and 2019)

Not sure who it might help more...Tennessee DC Tim Banks was Penn State co-DC the past 5 years. Pitt played Penn St 4x in that span.

Pitt scored 10 pts in 2019, 6 pts in 2018, 14 pts in 2017 and 42 pts in 2016 (Pitt averaged 41ppg in '16). Penn State had some really strong defenses 2017-2019.

The only season Penn State played current Pitt OC Mark Whipple was 2019.

So maybe it helps Pitt in a sense they know some of the tenancies Tenn might employ on D. Or it might help Tennessee as their DC has been part of multiple gameplans vs Pitt (vs Kenny Pickett in 2018 and 2019)

I didn’t know that, tough to say who it favors?!? My initial thought is it def not good for Pickett that DC should be familiar with his strengths and weaknesses. Of course I assume Pickett game has evolved since then!

For me this game comes down to trusting pitt defense to travel and gotta like Pickett leadership on the road, feels like he been the qb for half a decade! Love me some experience when a team getting ready to play in front of 100k fans!! It sure would be nice if pitt could finally give Pickett a serviceable running game to help him out! Feel like the offense has been squarely on his back the last few years. The offense goes as he does! Impossible to take anything away from the umass game as teams have been doing whatever they want to umass for years. Not counting qb runs Pitt ran it 35 times for 196 (5.6 ypc), that doesn’t inspire much confidence for me. The good news is this nothing new for Pickett so even without much help from the run game I trust him to play relatively clean while still making some plays. BG qb was able to go 25-38 without any turnovers so I gotta believe Pickett will play well. Combine his good play with a defense I’m always a fan of and for me it equals the acc gonna have some games that make up for last weeks disaster! Pitt all day!!

I watched that. Guy just doesn’t fuck around. Granted this is his MO before a game with these kind of schools it seems

I watched that. Guy just doesn’t fuck around. Granted this is his MO before a game with these kind of schools it seems

just maybe he should stop scheduling gcu online college!! gotta be hard to get jacked up when the team stepping off the bus has lineman avg 220 or whatever!! saban players have kids bigger than the players on mercer!! his rbs damn sure bigger than most mercer defense!

If I had the same attention to detail and motivation as he does, I could have already retired. He is truly remarkable

Back