SEC Week 2 Discussion Thread

gps_3

Head of Alabama Department of Decision-Making
Will get back to comment on what I saw week 1, specifically from Alabama, but wanted to get this thread started.

SEC Week 2 (current lines from local):

Tennessee -4.5 vs Georgia Tech (week 1)

Alabama -43.5 vs Fresno St
Arkansas +3.5 vs TCU
Mizzou -2.5 vs SCAR
Auburn +6 @ Clemson
UGA +6.5 @ Notre Dame
Miss St -7 @ La Tech
UK vs EKU
Ole Miss vs UT Martin
Tenn vs Indiana St
Vandy vs Ala A&M
aTm vs Nicholls
LSU vs Chattanooga
Florida vs N Colorado

Discuss...

Any thoughts on the Florida suspensions? It seemed like he was suspending them for the first game and still evaluating...

A regular student would get expelled for something like this, right?

Anyways, just curious looking at a few weeks from now.

Same ole Tennessee D. I'm gonna go back and look but Vols last 4 gms, I would bet has given up close to 2500 yards total in their last 4.
I would lean Over vs Ind St.

I really like the way #4 Kelley runs the ball.

Any thoughts on the Florida suspensions? It seemed like he was suspending them for the first game and still evaluating...

A regular student would get expelled for something like this, right?

Anyways, just curious looking at a few weeks from now.

I haven't really looked into what all they did to get suspended, but if I'm not mistaken, they were using university money to buy textbooks, then selling them, and collecting the cash, right? Not sure if they'd expel non-athletes, but Alabama had the exact same thing happen in Saban's first year. Had 5 guys suspended for a game, then reinstated. Although after the reinstatement, the NCAA went back and declared them ineligible and we had to vacate any wins that they played in. If it's anything like the Alabama situation, I imagine UF will make certain that they won't have any more penalties coming down the line before reinstating the players.

Games I've already bet:

WVU -24
Clemson -5.5
Oklahoma +7.5
Stanford +7

I want to give the nod to Aubbie for some reason. Gut feeling. Not enough to make a play.

SEC was out gained by ACC twice this weekend by 250+ yards and lost. NC State and GT. 3-0 for the SEC in what should have been 1-2. It just means more.

I want to give the nod to Aubbie for some reason. Gut feeling. Not enough to make a play.

I thought all off-season that I would be on AU in this game, but after Saturday, I've come to the realization that Clemson is a truly elite team/program, along the lines of Alabama and Ohio St. They probably aren't to that level yet, but they are on their way. They reload as well as anyone, and while they can't "replace" Watson, they are still going to be good enough everywhere else that they won't suffer too much. I think the only thing that derails them this year is the hangover from winning the title, and that may happen, but I think AU has their attention. AU looked pretty good on defense from what I saw Saturday night, but wasn't real impressed with the offense. I'm sure it was a little vanilla, and they were basically without their top 2 RBs for the majority of the game, but their WR are not special. Stidham didn't wow me, but he looks like a legit college QB. I'm sure he'll be better as the season goes on, but I think Clemson's defense will not allow him to be comfortable at all.

SEC was out gained by ACC twice this weekend by 250+ yards and lost. NC State and GT. 3-0 for the SEC in what should have been 1-2. It just means more.

Not only were they outgained, they were basically doubled up

Thoughts on State from anyone who saw them? I only caught a few drives but was really impressed with their size and speed on defense.

Also not sure where else to put this for discussion, but does anyone else think App State could cover the game total by themselves this weekend? It was 51 the last time I checked.

Games I've already bet:

WVU -24
Clemson -5.5
Oklahoma +7.5
Stanford +7

WVU, including its coach, left everything and more out on the field Sunday night. Damn resilient team that's going to make some noise in the B12. But it's a really tough bounce for WVU after that Va Tech game.

I mentioned it somewhere but I believed that Miss St defense was a candidate for most improved unit in country this season. The roster upgrades coupled with Grantham was a perfect storm. To be fair, I also said Texas was...

Yes, on App St. My only concern would be weather - no idea where Irma is headed at this point. That being said, even if weather is bad they aren't gonna pass anyway.. I just got done making my weekly CFF projections and App St RB, Jalin Moore is my highest projected RB in the country this week.

Jauan Jennings likely out for season for the Vols. Surgery on dislocated wrist - up to 12 weeks. Marquez Callaway is a grown man so that helps but man that team needs someone other than him and Kelly to be a difference maker.

WVU, including its coach, left everything and more out on the field Sunday night. Damn resilient team that's going to make some noise in the B12. But it's a really tough bounce for WVU after that Va Tech game.

That is my biggest concern, but ECU is really bad. I'm counting on WVU getting right against a terrible opponent. Not crazy about the early kickoff time either though

Thought about Irma also, but I think it should be okay. Our company has a footprint across the Gulf South so we have a weather vendor that provides longer term forecasts than what the hurricane center officially puts out. As of now they're calling for a landfall near Miami Sunday morning, and impact in the Carolinas on Tuesday. I think most of the rain will be East and West of the location on Saturday and shouldn't be too bad that far North.

Thought about Irma also, but I think it should be okay. Our company has a footprint across the Gulf South so we have a weather vendor that provides longer term forecasts than what the hurricane center officially puts out. As of now they're calling for a landfall near Miami Sunday morning, and impact in the Carolinas on Tuesday. I think most of the rain will be East and West of the location on Saturday and shouldn't be too bad that far North.
Dude - how did I not know you have been bogarting this kinda intel?? So based on what you are seeing at current, any potential weather games this week?

Jauan Jennings likely out for season for the Vols. Surgery on dislocated wrist - up to 12 weeks. Marquez Callaway is a grown man so that helps but man that team needs someone other than him and Kelly to be a difference maker.
Yeap. 12 weeks. That hurts more than any.
But damn Kelly looked so good. He has the mind set of Marshawn and wait until Chandler gets more touches. He got a carry last night and looked like he was itching to go

I am REALLY interested in Clemson Aub.
Aub D looked nasty but they get the real test Sat.

I need to take a closer look at the schedule when I get home but the only one that jumps out off the top of my head is FIU. Unfortunately if this track stays pretty close that one will likely be moved or cancelled. That's the problem with strong storms, the sites you know will be impacted receive "too much" of an impact. I've found it useful for weaker storms and depressions where it isn't strong enough to cause a big alarm but you know 4-5 days in advance there will be a lot of rain.

Possibly some outer bands and rain at Florida and UCF? Will need to see how it takes shape over the next couple days.

I need to take a closer look at the schedule when I get home but the only one that jumps out off the top of my head is FIU. Unfortunately if this track stays pretty close that one will likely be moved or cancelled. That's the problem with strong storms, the sites you know will be impacted receive "too much" of an impact. I've found it useful for weaker storms and depressions where it isn't strong enough to cause a big alarm but you know 4-5 days in advance there will be a lot of rain.

Possibly some outer bands and rain at Florida and UCF? Will need to see how it takes shape over the next couple days.
Thanks, please keep me posted on Memphis/UCF Ive got the Ov

I totally agree. I was impressed with Grier and their TB. That was a game with a few different chapters.

I like WVU this year too

Tough loss tho

Aubbie Defense IS good.....but like gps I didn't see the offense look great either

Really want to see em vs Clem

loved the date change for the ucf game. +3 with the better team is juicy. Mix in some rain and how huge of an advantage is that for the team with the VASTLY superior run game?

Shouldn't Fla just mail it in and get out of town? Even if it's clear that day, shouldn't it be enough of a distraction that a lousy offense doesn't cover 41?

Curious to know your take on BAMA 1st H or Fresno TT under, both 1st H and game.

I tend to believe that the offense will score a lot of points on Saturday. Nothing was really clicking against FSU and the OL took a beating and have been hearing about it all week. I expect them to come out focused. I would also imagine that we want to get Jalen going on some kind of rhythm to build on for the rest of the season. On defense, with all the injuries to the LBs, I expect there to be tons of rotation and experiments of different players in new positions. I don't know what kind of offense Fresno has, but I could see a less than typical defensive result from Alabama strictly because of all the changes. But Fresno played Incarnate Word last week, so the step up in competition is as large as it can be in college football and the new faces may not matter. All that to say that I would feel better betting on Alabama to score in this one rather than Fresno not scoring, but I do think this will be a bigger blowout than we typically see in these types of games for Alabama. I also think when Tua comes in, the coaches will let him sling it around

I didn't see it, but my Dad is a Tua fan.....he watched the Bama spring game entirely ( uhhhhhh... Dad!? The fuck yo?!)

He says this kid is the deal.....any change coming soon you think?

Soon? No. There could be a pretty stiff competition next year though

Good god did mizzou's defense look atrocious this past week!! Gotta think they can't possibly be that horrific all season but also can't see them improving to the point scary doesn't hang a huge number this week. The fact tigers favs here makes me believe they can't make this total high enough!!

Updated card:

WVU -24
Clemson -5.5
Oklahoma +7.5
Stanford +7
Iowa St +3
TCU/Ark O 59
ND/UGA U 57.5
Utah -2

Good luck this week. I'm glad to see you're giving my Tigers a vote of confidence. I hope they come through for you.

Kirby pulled some DL off of their normal drills and had them run on the scout team to test the OL and Fromm. He threw the kitchen sink at Fromm this week to try to get him ready. Rumor now that Eason may be 2-3 weeks. The rumors have been all over the place. Kirby really wants Eason back and not because he doesn't trust Fromm. He just doesn't want to go through another season of growing pains with a true freshman QB.

My biggest concern is the LBs staying home. They bit a few times in the App St game and Wimbush will burn them if they do that against ND.

UGA will rotate in as many 9 guys on the DL so the ND OL size and strength doesn't necessarily worry me. We'll have depth to combat that great OL of theirs. With that said, I expect ND to get their yards on the ground (they love to run to that left side).

I think the game boils down to UGA OC Chaney (scary thought) and if he is willing to spread the field out. If he tries to do these bunch formations then we are in for a long day. Fromm works best out the gun and we moved the ball well against App St when we spread it out and moved a little up tempo.

Back