Tennessee -7 vs Southern Miss

AU -13 vs aTm

UGA -22.5 vs South Carolina

Miss St -28 vs UMASS

Vandy -10.5 vs WKU

Arkansas -26 vs Coastal Carolina

Mizzou -2.5 vs Florida

Alabama -22 vs LSU

Feel like there is a lot to talk about here. I should be around more than I have been, hope to keep the conversation going and add something of value

Recaps (courtesy Gridiron now website):

A look at all the action from the ninth Saturday of the season in the SEC.

(That it’s the ninth Saturday should be sobering, folks: There are just four weeks left in the regular season.)

Mississippi State 35, Texas A&M 14
QB Nick Fitzgerald threw for 141 yards and two TDs and rushed for 105 yards and another score in leading the Bulldogs (6-2 overall, 3-2 in the SEC) to the surprisingly easy win over the host Aggies (5-3, 3-2). Mississippi State’s defense shut down the Aggies’ rushing attack, holding A&M to just 96 rushing yards and 285 yards total. Mississippi State led 14-0 at halftime, then increased the lead to 21-0 on its first possession of the second half, and it never really was in doubt after that. The Bulldogs came up with three picks, including one returned 90 yards for a touchdown by Jamal Peters midway through the fourth quarter. The win puts Mississippi State in good shape for a nine-win season; the Bulldogs still must play Alabama, but the other three games are against UMass, Arkansas and Ole Miss. A&M, meanwhile, welcomes in Auburn next week with coach Kevin Sumlin squarely back on the hot seat.

Georgia 42, Florida 7
The Bulldogs (8-0 overall, 5-0 in the SEC) scored on their first three possessions and the rout was on in Jacksonville. Florida (3-4, 3-3), which has lost three in a row, finished with just 249 yards of offense; the Gators avoided their first shutout since 1988 with a 1-yard run by Mark Thompson with 2:42 left. The Gators committed 14 penalties and were 3-of-15 on third down. Georgia rushed for 292 yards on just 35 carries – 8.3 yards per rush. Jake Fromm threw just seven passes, completing four for 101 yards and a TD. Bulldogs RB Sony Michel ran for 137 yards on just six carries and scored twice, on runs of 74 and 45 yards. Nick Chubb and Elijah Holyfield also had rushing TDs, and the Bulldogs also scored on a fumble return. Florida starting QB Feleipe Franks was 7-of-19 for 30 yards and a pick. The win snapped Georgia’s three-game losing streak in the series.

RELATED: Georgia uses running game, sacks and turnovers to demolish Florida 42-7
RELATED: Biggest takeaway from ‘cocktail party’ beatdown? It’s likely Jim McElwain’s final game at Florida

Kentucky 29, Tennessee 26
The Vols’ offense finally got into the end zone, but the host Wildcats (6-2, 3-2) scored the go-ahead TD with 33 seconds left to send Tennessee (3-5, 0-5) to its fourth consecutive loss. The loss guarantees Tennessee will have a losing SEC record for the seventh time in 11 seasons; there had been just two losing conference records in the previous 30 seasons. The Vols entered the game without an offensive TD for 14 quarters. The drought extended one more period before Ty Chandler scored on a 1-yard run with 8:40 left in the first half. Chandler scored on another 1-yard run late in the first half. But red zone production issues cropped up for the Vols again; they had to settle for three field goals after getting into the red zone. UK gashed Tennessee for 289 rushing yards, with Benny Snell Jr. finishing with 180 yards and three TDs. UK completed just seven passes for 82 yards. The Vols outgained the Wildcats 445-371 and also had 10 more first downs (27-17).

South Carolina 34, Vanderbilt 27
The host Gamecocks (6-2, 4-2) held off the Commodores (3-5, 0-5) for their third consecutive victory overall and their ninth in a row over Vandy. South Carolina rushed for a season-high 212 yards, its first 200-yard game against a FBS opponent since October 31, 2015, against Texas A&M. Still, the Gamecocks were outgained 440-386 by Vandy, which threw for 333 yards. Vandy QB Kyle Shurmur threw four TD passes, but the Commodores were hurt by 10 penalties and an interception. South Carolina’s A.J. Turner rushed for 121 yards and a TD and QB Jake Bentley had two scoring runs.

Arkansas 38, Ole Miss 37
Connor Limpert nailed a 34-yard field goal with four seconds left to lift the Razorbacks (3-5, 1-4) to the win over the host Rebels (3-5, 1-4), who blew a 31-7 second-quarter lead. Both teams were playing with backup quarterbacks. Arkansas’ Cole Kelley, making his third start, threw for 189 yards and three TDs and also scored on a 15-yard run. Ole Miss’ Jordan Ta’amu, making his first start, threw for 368 yards and also rushed for 76 yards and two TDs. Arkansas rushed for 260 yards and was 12-of-19 on third down. Ole Miss finished with 566 total yards. The Hogs scored two TDs in the final 2:44 of the first half to cut the lead to 31-21 and spark the comeback.

Missouri 52, UConn 12
QB Drew Lock threw three TD passes in the first quarter and the Tigers (3-5) rolled to the win over the host Huskies (3-5). Lock finished 31-of-37 for 377 yards and five TDs as the Tigers rolled up 583 total yards. It was Lock’s third five-TD game of the season and his fourth 300-yard outing. Mizzou, which finished the game with 31 first downs, led 31-5 at halftime.

I mentioned it last week, but I think the way the game ended tells me that Ole Miss' season is done. They can't make the Egg Bowl line high enough for me to not bet on Miss St, unless Mullen is off to Florida

I was high on aTm's chances to beat AU this week, but not feeling that at present

Will be interesting to hear the chatter coming out of Knoxville this week. With Florida already pulling the trigger, I doubt UT feels they can afford to wait until after the season to announce that Butch won't be returning. No interest in betting any UT game for the rest of the season

I think the UGA line is a little too high. Muschamp will come up with a plan and try to make Fromm beat him by throwing the ball. He may be able to do it, but we haven't seen it yet. Or UGA's run game will still be too much for the SC defense to handle. Also a sandwich game between UGA's 2 biggest rivals. I think UGA wins, but I also think their run of blowouts comes to an end.

Mentioned above, but usually betting on a team that just fired a coach is a good bet

Alabama line also seems a tad high, but I struggle to see a way LSU has any success on offense. They did an excellent job bottling up our offense last year as well, so could see another low scoring one. Interested to see how Alabama comes out, since this is the hardest opponent on paper we've played since week 1. Could see us coming out a little slow as our guys catch up to having quality athletes on the other side of the ball. Saban's mood in the press conference today or tomorrow will tell us all we need to know about how he feels about the prep. Tough 4-5 weeks here for Alabama: vs LSU, @ Miss St, nevermind, @ AU. Then if they get through that, play UGA in Atlanta.

SC only had 3 scholarship linebackers to start the season. I think UGA runs it down their throat. I don't think it's worth betting against them. So many better games to bet on imo

Bama will be motivated for LSU. I believe at A and M is their only power 5 non-cover. I personally could never bet against Bama (or Georgia)

Especially when Bama is facing a crappy qb who can't throw or run. With that d line. If Manziel played for LSU id reconsider

ProV or someone explain Tenny to me. Is it just not their style to let Butch go mid season?
0-5 SEC play....Dead Man Walking. I don't get the point.
He is obv gone year end right?

If anyone missed it, aTm's Mond took a hit in the 4th and they put Starkel in, he hadn't played since week 1. Sumlin said that Mond is still the starter. Starkel came in when it was 28-7, threw that 70y pick-six and then also led them on a TD drive (mostly long catch and run with fantastic effort by the WR to not get tackled).

All told 3 aTm INTs led to 21 MSU puts; 52 and 32y drives following picks then the pick-six.

ProV or someone explain Tenny to me. Is it just not their style to let Butch go mid season?
0-5 SEC play....Dead Man Walking. I don't get the point.
He is obv gone year end right?
Rumor is they have been working on a deal w/ someone. Haslam sold his house in Knoxville " for 3.2 mil earlier this week. To an unnamed person. It's rumored to be Gruden of course. I also heard that espn has been discussing dropping MNF and if that's the case Gruden may be looking to get out.
Same source said something may be happening in the next 24-48 hours, we'll see
Stay tuned.

If anyone missed it, aTm's Mond took a hit in the 4th and they put Starkel in, he hadn't played since week 1. Sumlin said that Mond is still the starter. Starkel came in when it was 28-7, threw that 70y pick-six and then also led them on a TD drive (mostly long catch and run with fantastic effort by the WR to not get tackled).

All told 3 aTm INTs led to 21 MSU puts; 52 and 32y drives following picks then the pick-six.

Two of those ints were tips. One, the receiver reaches out and the ball's trajectory goes from a certain path out of bounds, to going straight down the sideline into the the defenders hands.
Mond won't fire the ball in there. Defenses are able to load up on the run with Mond in there.
Starkel throws it in there. The Ags were able to run the short time that Starkel was in there.
If Mond doesn't have designed runs, then having him in there is useless. Mond holds it too long. This isn't the 2012 Oline.
Summy , of course , makes the questionable decision. Perhaps he doesn't watch the games.

I must say, the way my year has gone on a personal level, I haven't had time to watch a lot of games(do fit the Ags in) or cap. I can actually watch the Ags with no expectation at all. Nothing gets broken during a poor performance and there's a certain surprise to a win. Not sure where the calmness has come from since there is little to be calm about in every other part of the day to day.

Well, then I hope your upcoming Saturday is filled with calmness and positive surprises Press! Gig Em!

Zaire to start

UF quarterback Malik Zaire had to wait longer than expected, but he now will get his turn to lead the Gators’ offense.

Interim coach Randy Shannon announced Thursday Zaire will make his first start for UF on Saturday when the reeling Gators (3-4, 3-3 SEC) visit Missouri (3-5, 0-4).

"This is his opportunity to get this team where it needs to be and not to be satisfied just because he's the starter,” Shannon said in a statement. "Today is an opportunity for him to run the offense and understand the expectations that we have for him. This is not a time for him to feel comfortable and feel like he's made it.

“We want him to keep grinding and understand that competition is very good."

Zaire will replace redshirt freshman Feleipe Franks, who averaged fewer than 100 passing yards and managed just one touchdown pass during the team’s three-game losing streak. Zaire will be the Gators’ 12th starting quarterback since 2009, Tim Tebow’s final season at UF.

Zaire replaced Franks during the fourth quarter of last Saturday’s 42-7 loss to Georgia and helped prevent a shutout with a late touchdown drive. During the series, the 6-foot, 225-pound Zaire showcased his dual-threat ability, completing 3 of 4 throws for 36 yards and picking up 27 yards on a run.

Until last weekend, Zaire had not played since he replaced Franks and struggled during a season-opening loss to Michigan. Former coach Jim McElwain opted for Franks and Luke Del Rio, who broke his collarbone Sept. 30 against Vanderbilt.

Much more was expected from Zaire when he arrived in June as a graduate transfer from Notre Dame. Many immediately penciled in Zaire as the team’s starter, especially because the 22-year-old waited until the SEC amended its rule on graduate transfers before choosing UF instead of Texas and Wisconsin.

But Zaire did not have the experience of Franks and Del Rio in McElwain’s system and showed a tendency to scramble before letting plays develop.

With McElwain gone and the Gators’ offense in need of a spark, Shannon decided to make a move as UF enters the final month of the regular season.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...s-mailk-zaire-quarterback-20171102-story.html

Sandwich spot for Miss St. Coming off big win vs the Aggies with Bama on deck. In comes loathly UMASS at +31.5. Does Mullen really want to run it up and risk injury to starters, knowing what is coming up?

Sandwich spot for Miss St. Coming off big win vs the Aggies with Bama on deck. In comes loathly UMASS at +31.5. Does Mullen really want to run it up and risk injury to starters, knowing what is coming up?

I took mass at +33. Agree with your general thoughts

Back