Sec Champs

• Thread starter Thread starter Moneyline_Monster
  • Start date Start date
M

Moneyline_Monster

Plain and Simple, who is coming out the Champs of the SEC.

My favorite: Florida Gators
Sleeper: LSU Tigers

I believe the Gators are too talented to lose this year, but I can't believe people are sleeping on last year's National Champs, the Tigers. I wouldn't be surprised if LSU found a way to win the SEC.

This is SEC season is as tough to forecast as any I can remember. Florida and Georgia should be the favorites but nothing would be surprising.

Im going to take a serious look at betting Auburn on the preseason futures if the number is high enough. They have their tougher games at home until the Iron Bowl.

If they indeed do win the west, but lose to Georgia late in the year I would hope for a rematch

Im going to take a serious look at betting Auburn on the preseason futures if the number is high enough. They have their tougher games at home until the Iron Bowl.

If they indeed do win the west, but lose to Georgia late in the year I would hope for a rematch

They are the favorite over the lsu tigers to win the west at the greek. Looks like books are well aware of what auburn brings to the table this year. i love this team.

I like Florida over LSU. I think LSU is the most talented team overall, but worried about their QB play and schedule is pretty tough.

Favorite: Georgia-the speed and depth of that offense is sick

Sleeper: Tennessee- a lot of people are overlooking the Vols and that's usually when they pull out a great season, ex. 1998.

Favorite: Georgia-the speed and depth of that offense is sick

Sleeper: Tennessee- a lot of people are overlooking the Vols and that's usually when they pull out a great season, ex. 1998.

With that offensive line and the fact that the major secondary weakness has now become somewhat of a strength , makes this team very dangerous. Will need to win the games early as the qb develops. If so , look out.

I like Tennessee as I mentioned above because they should have the best OL in the SEC w/ a power running game, talent at WR, and a talented QB who has been learning for 3 years.

I think they will be able to control the clock, pick up first downs, and keep the other teams defense on the field.

I really think the Largest Cocktail Party won't be deciding the East. I believe that Tennesse and or South Carolina will upset UGA/UF... Maybe one of them beats both, don't think both will and that loss might be the difference in deciding the East

They are the favorite over the lsu tigers to win the west at the greek. Looks like books are well aware of what auburn brings to the table this year. i love this team.

Anyone with a clear head that watchs the last couple LSU games played at Auburn will realize the refs WILL NOT let LSU win in that venue.
I've debated this point ad nauseum and you can call it homerism or whatever it is clear from watching both games that LSU was blatantly robbed over the COURSE of the games. We are talking multiple phantom drive killing calls in both halves of the most recent game. And find a single use of the penalty called at the end of the 04 game to give Auburn a second try on the missed XP.

Now call it a coincidence that the SEC headquarters are located in the same state as the Auburn team. Alabama doesnt get the same respect so go figure.

I love that LSU is an underdog going into the season and especially since its hinged on the unexperienced QB. LSU will have the best OL in many years and a stable of RBs that will fit right into Miles and his run run run philosophy. However, I could see Miles airing it out this season since he loves to divert from the common thought.

I see us losing a couple but I feel we win both Bama and Georgia at home.
I expect LSU to fill the spoiler role this year while coughing up an expected win on the road. I hope I'm wrong but I see a team losing a game it should win and winning the games it should lose.

Gators win both the SEC and the title IMO.

Georgia_Bulldogs_ug17_large.jpg

here is his WIKI , if it helps you any cubsker ...

Paul Rhoads (born February 2, 1967(1967-02-02) in Ankeny, Iowa) is an American college football coach. Rhoads is currently the defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach of the Auburn University football team.
<TABLE class=toc id=toc summary=Contents><TBODY><TR><TD>Contents

[hide]
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>//<![CDATA[ if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = "show"; var tocHideText = "hide"; showTocToggle(); } //]]></SCRIPT>

[edit] Playing career

Rhoads was a prep special mention all-state free safety and valedictorian of his high school class before lettering for three-years at Missouri Western State University from 1986-1988, where he played defensive back. He graduated in 1989 with a bachelor's degree in economics and was the recipient of the Chris Faros Scholarship, honoring the program's top senior student-athlete. Rhoads earned a master's degree from Utah State University in 1991.

[edit] Coaching career

Rhoads began his coaching career under Chuck Shelton as a graduate assistant at Utah State working with the secondary. After serving in the same capacity under John Cooper at Ohio State, Rhoads received his first full time position as a defensive backs coach at University of the Pacific in 1992. The following season, the Pacific Tigers ranked 20th nationally in pass defense, allowing just 152 yards passing per game. In 1995, incoming head coach Dan McCarney hired Rhoads to join him at Iowa State, where he served as linebackers and secondary coach for 5 seasons. While with the Cyclones, Rhoads also assisted with the special teams.

[edit] Pittsburgh Panthers

In 2000, Rhoads was hired as the defensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Panthers by Walt Harris. In his first season, Rhoads was credited with improving the team's defense to their best performance since 1980. In 2001, his defensive unit ranked among the nation's top 30 in five different categories at season's end. Additionally, Pitt finished with 38 quarterback sacks. In 2002, the Panthers defense ranked among the nation's top 25 in an impressive seven different categories. In 2004, Pitt ranked ninth nationally with 17 interceptions and Rhoads was kept on staff by new head coach Dave Wannstedt. That decision proved wise as by then end of the 2005 season, Pitt was ranked second nationally in pass defense (yielding just 152.82 yards per game) and sixth in pass efficiency defense with a 99.36 rating. In 2006, Sporting News named Rhoads the Big East's best defensive coordinator. In 2007, Rhoads' defense was among the nation's leaders in various categories, finishing fifth nationally in total defense (allowing just 297.7 yards per games) and third nationally in pass defense (allowing just 167.3 yards per game). While the team finished 5–7, they ended on a high note by holding then-#2 ranked rival West Virginia to a season-low nine points in a 13-9 victory in the Backyard Brawl, limiting the Mountaineers high-powered offense to 183 yards (292 yards below their average).

[edit] Auburn Tigers

In 2002, coach Tommy Tuberville offered Rhoads a job to fill a vacant spot for defensive coordinator at Auburn.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-sportingnews_au_0-0>[1]</SUP> Having completed only his second season at Pitt, Rhoads passed on the job with Tuberville eventually hiring Gene Chizik. However, when Will Muschamp resigned at the conclusion of the 2007 season, coach Tuberville again offered the job with Rhoads accepting to head the 2008 Tigers defense on January 17, 2008.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-sportingnews_au_0-1>[1]</SUP><SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-1>[2]</SUP> As head of Auburn's defense, Rhoads will also coach defensive backs, as did the Tigers' last four defensive coordinators.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-2>[3]</SUP>

LSU's hardest games will be at Auburn and hosting UGA. I think teams in the SEC have figured out ways to stop Tebow much like Carr & Co did in the bowl game. UGA has a rough schedule, but Richt is great on the road, so UGA is the favorite IMO. Since Auburn is favored to win the West they cannot be a sleeper, but I am not sold on this team like many others.

I see a repeat of the '05 SEC championship game that I attended. UGA beating LSU... that is if 10-2 is good enough to get LSU to Atlanta over Auburn. So, to answer the initial question:

Favorite: Georgia
Sleeper: Tennessee

Back