Seattle vs Oakland Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Quick-Starting Mariners a 'First Five' Play vs Oakland

Seattle closes a three-game series tonight at 10:10 vs Oakland. Oakland won with late-game magic last night, but can underdog Seattle finish the series on a high note?

Oakland Athletics (15-15) at Seattle Mariners (17-12)

MLB Pick: Seattle 1H ML

Seattle and Oakland have been displaying opposite tendencies, both of which speak for a first-half play on Seattle tonight. In its last three games, Seattle has achieved 11 of its 18 runs in the first five innings. Consequently, they've won four consecutive 'first five' ML plays. Conversely, Oakland has scored only two of its last 10 runs in the first five innings and is winless in eight straight 'first five' plays. After a late-inning loss last night, Seattle will be extra motivated. The M's are undefeated in three first-half ML bets after a one-run loss and have won two out of three 'first five' bets after losing.

Wade LeBlanc (0-0, 4.61 ERA) starts for Seattle. LeBlanc is normally a reliever. He earned a reputation as the Pirates' key reliever, who appeared in 50 games for them last year. But the veteran also has 79 career starts under his belt. He matches up well against the A's, who are winless in their last three 'first five' plays against left-handed starters.

The key for LeBlanc, as a fly ball pitcher, is to keep the ball inside the ballpark. He's allowed only one homer in the past 16.1 innings. He benefits in this cold time of year in pitcher-friendly Safeco Field, which, since last season, ranks in the bottom half in terms of home runs allowed. He needs to keep the ball low in the strike zone. He throws in the lower quadrant of the zone at least as often as he does anywhere else. In this part of the zone, he hasn't been hittable in terms of opposing batting average and slugging percentage.

Sean Manaea (4-2, 1.03 ERA) counters for Oakland. Manaea's last two starts against Seattle were poor. He yielded an FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) over 4 in them. Manaea will encounter the additional difficulty of seeing the same lineup twice in a month. In his last three times where he's faced the same team twice in a month, he's allowed an ERA over 4 every time. He lacks the stuff to pitch consistently well against a team that is so familiar with him. He only has three different pitches, the fastball, changeup, and slider.

He has a harmful tendency to rely too heavily on his changeup. Three of the last four times that he has thrown his changeup over 30% of the time, he threw it much less frequently the next outing and yielded an FIP over 4. After Manaea relies on his changeup so heavily, he tends to transfer this reliance onto the fastball, which is also his favorite pitch. Since last season, the M's rank in the top 10 in both slugging and BA against the fastball at the maximum of Manaea's average velocity, 92 mph, and below it.

With the exception of Houston, which is notorious for struggling against southpaws at home, Manaea has yet to pitch well, meaning with a sub-4 FIP, in his other two road starts. The dominance with which he has garnered fame this season has primarily come in Oakland. He has been weakest against right-handed hitters on the road. So watch out for Mitch Haniger, who is batting .301 with 10 homers. Jean Segura is batting .313 against southpaws. Seattle had been hot, producing 28 runs in three games, before unfortunately only managing two yesterday thanks to a very low BABIP (batting average of balls in play).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Semester coming to an end so drank with a friend. Wrote this with increasing sobriety but also quite late :)

Manaea (4-2, 1.03 ERA) was named the American League's Pitcher of the Month on Tuesday. He has the lowest opponents batting average against (.134), on-base percentage (.178) and OPS (.400) in the major leagues.
Manaea is 4-3 with a 3.88 ERA in eight career starts against the Mariners.
He'll be countered by Seattle left-hander Wade LeBlanc (0-0, 4.61 ERA), who will be making his first start since Aug. 19, 2016, in a previous stint with the Mariners.
The 33-year-old was traded three weeks later to Pittsburgh and made 50 relief appearances for the Pirates last season. He went to spring training with the New York Yankees this year, but was released and re-signed by Seattle.
LeBlanc is 2-0 with a 4.98 ERA in five career appearances (three starts) against Oakland. He last faced the A's on Aug. 14, 2016, with the Mariners, allowing three runs on five hits in six innings, with seven strikeouts in an 8-4 victory.

The challenge of this article was to want to go against Manaea but still have much to say. I shoulda just picked Oak and went on about him the whole time.

I typically like to talk all about the pitchers but cant really talk badly about Manaea and like who the hell is LeBlanc lol. But I think I found a lot of interesting patterns while digging into this one

Got rained out today, just been super busy at work lately!! Good for my bank account, bad for my degenerate habits as not much time to cap let alone post. lol

Jesus another game vs Stubs rained out fckn kidding me??
Well they say big bank account be degenerate too so i think youre still good on that front lol!

Far as cards go man their offense been fucking putrid since taking that trip to Pittsburg! Really don't understand that? Our lineup is good enough they should be scoring more damn runs!!! This holland shit is on management not our moron manager. You would think before handing out 14 mil for the season they would have made sure dude could hit broadside of a fuckin barn!!

That blown save I think deflated lineup! Bad for morale! Thats why i think coming back game 1 vs sox was big. Holland is poison fuckn Dutch

O relying too much on power just like last season. Inconsistent. Baseball version of heavy three-point shooting team in college bball.

Would you ever be into a chick with that much muscle?

God no. I think it gross, see a few muscular type bitches at the gym every now and again, not appealing to me. Don't get me wrong I like a girl who in shape and tone but have no interest in a girl who can beat me at arm wrestling!! Lol

God no. I think it gross, see a few muscular type bitches at the gym every now and again, not appealing to me. Don't get me wrong I like a girl who in shape and tone but have no interest in a girl who can beat me at arm wrestling!! Lol

I lol‘ed. Yea id like to think the same but pretty sure every girl can beat me in arm wrestlinf lol

Who you fightin with Dan!

Shhh I dunno, whomever deserves it!! Lol.. last week it was some moron on a rice rocket, this jerkoff flies up on me then starts acting like a ass flipping me off and shit, so we road rage on hwy a little, he goes to get off his exit and I'm like fuck it and keep going, this dumb bitch then follows me up to my exit and gets off his bike and walks up on my car. Little bitch starts mouthing but won't take his helmet off so I shoved him to get him out my face and he goes flying on his ass, I jump on him and start giving his helmet forearm shivers bouncing his head off the ground, then just held his head pushed against ground w my forearm talking a little shit till another guy yells "hey man, light changed you might want to bounce". Lol. Then this idiot comes flying back up behind me taking pictures of my plate like he calling police, dunno wtf he was gonna tell them? "Hello 911, I tried to be a bad ass and it didn't go as planned!"? Lmfao. So I stop again and am like "what you need your ass kicked some more?" And start rushing him and he takes off!! lol., I dunno if pussy hit me w a rock or I caught my head on his helmet or what but had little cut and this bump on my head for last week! Didn't feel it at time, I got a hard head!! lol.

I really rather not fight, that said I'm not one to be taking shit and will happily take the opportunity to teach folks some manners when situation calls for it :) still wish he would have took or I could have got his helmet off so I could have bashed his face in a little!! Lol

I seriously don't know what else he would say? I mean I was going 80 passing someone in fast lane and he flies up on me, had to be going 100 plus, then gets along side me running his mouth flipping me off. Then he follows me and walks up on me! What the fuck he was calling the police to report is beyond me??? All I could think he said was that!! Lol., dude really gonna press assault charges on me when 20 ppl at intersection saw him walk up on my car?? Guess he thought he was just gonna mouth off at me and nothing was gonna happen? Talk about seriously underestimating the situation! I know I don't look like the type that gonna stand there and let anyone talk foul to me! I'll gladly take a asswhipping before that and usually that not how it gonna go!! :)

Damn Dan just dont accidentally murder anyone! Prison probs unwanted

I more worry some pussy w a gun ends up shooting me, but whatever shit happens I guess. I figure they better unload the clip and not let me get to them cause getting shot would prob really piss me off!! Lol

I need to get smashed more often before writing articles thats what makes me sharp. Tonight was just some of the 4/20 stuff :)

Johnny, sent the young lad a PM to help him "pick up what you were putting down".

Let's just drop it after this post though.

BTW, great movie...Macy was awesome in it.

Back