Seattle vs. Houston Game 2 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Mariners vs. Astros ALDS Game 2 Best Bets

Who Starts for Seattle?

The Mariners start Luis Castillo for today's game.

I find it incredible that the Mariners are listed at +140 despite the fact that Castillo, with his 2.99 ERA and 3.07 FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding), is starting.

Overall, Castillo has been a profitable pitcher for bettors to back.

He's yielding +2.2 units in his starts.

Castillo as an Underdog

Pertinently to my favorite play for this game, he has thrived in the underdog role.

Oddsmakers have repeatedly listed him in this role, and he makes doubters pay.

As the underdog, Castillo is yielding +8.8 units.

In fact, his team has won the last seven games in which he was posted as the underdog.

During this win streak, his biggest upset victory was when he was posted at +165 at the Yankees.

This, therefore, is not a matter of something being too good to be true.

It is a matter of oddsmakers repeatedly and foolishly underrating Castillo.

Castillo's Improvement

Castillo, to be fair, is enjoying a unique kind of year the quality of which many might not have expected.

His regular season ERA was .99 better this season than it was last season.

While he's always been one to strike a lot of batters out -- he does this especially with his high-velo fastball, but he also has other pitches that yield a high whiff rate -- his command needed work.

Crucially, he is walking much fewer batters while surrendering fewer home runs.

Castillo's Pitch Breakdown

Castillo's pitch selection consists in four options.

He throws his fastball, sinker, changeup, and slider.

These four pitches make up the entirety of his arsenal.

Specifically, he throws each pitch between 21 and 33 percent of the time.

This level of variety and balance in his pitch selection helps make him less predictable.

If a pitch isn't working for him in a given outing, he can rely on three other pitches to be effective.

Castillo's Pitch Quality

But Castillo's best pitches typically work for him.

His pitch selection is intelligent in that he throws his very best pitch most often.

Opponents are hitting just .152 and slugging .194 against his fastball, as they struggle to deal with its combination of velocity and spin rate.

Castillo's fastball averages 97.1 mph, which puts it in the 93rdpercentile in velocity.

But also, it ranks in the 60thpercentile in spin rate.

This combination makes Castillo's fastball uniquely solid and, in terms of quality, comparable to the best fastballs, such as Gerrit Cole's,

Batters struggle to keep up with Castillo's heater, and they have trouble tracking its location in view of its spin rate.

Castillo likes to elevate this pitch, whose spin gives it the appearance of rising action, inducing batters to swing underneath it.

He'll also play this pitch off slower pitches.

In addition to creating a change of pace via this velocity differential, he'll change the batter's eye level by locating especially pitches other than the fastball lower in the strike zone.

Matchup Consideration

Castillo is a reliable option even against teams that match up well against him.

While there are teams who hit his pitches well, they face iterations of those pitches that are inferior to Castillo's.

Hence, Castillo thrived repeatedly against, for example, the Yankees, although they ranked higher than Houston in slugging rate against his pitches from righties.

Who Starts for Houston?

Framber Valdez starts for the Astros today.

It's noteworthy that Valdez is left-handed because Seattle hits lefties slightly better than righties.

More to the point, the Mariners rank well above-average in slugging rate against Valdez's favorite pitches from lefties.

Bets for this Game

Given Seattle's matchup potential against Valdez and the fact that Castillo is pitching, I like Seattle to score first at -130 with Bovada.

Also, since the Mariners will ride their starting pitcher advantage, I like them to win both half-time and full-time at +200 with Bovada.

For the above reasons, I like the Mariners' ML at +144 with Heritage.

Best Bet: Seattle to score first at -130 with Bovada; Mariners half time / full time at +200 with Bovada; Mariners ML at +144 with Heritage

Seattle is odd, they do have slightly better ops vs lhp but they strike out way more! Over 26% their ab’s vs lhp, and the 4th most k’s against lefties in the league. Valdez struck them out 15x in 2 starts that came b2b in July!

Astros have faced Castillo like less then 10ABs as a team combined. Seattle has about 90 ABs agains Valdez.

Both are strong pitchers and Valdez is very underrated IMO in this Astros line up.

This should be a fantastic pitchers duel, if you a crazy like me and loves good pitching!! Valdez was able to dominate seattle in b2b Starts in July when seattle was really coming on, that always impresses me as I think it very difficult to have to face a team b2b outings. Seattle did manage a few runs in each but fanned 15x in those 2 games! I think Castillo can get them thru 7 with a 2-1 type lead.

This should be a fantastic pitchers duel, if you a crazy like me and loves good pitching!! Valdez was able to dominate seattle in b2b Starts in July when seattle was really coming on, that always impresses me as I think it very difficult to have to face a team b2b outings. Seattle did manage a few runs in each but fanned 15x in those 2 games! I think Castillo can get them thru 7 with a 2-1 type lead.
Unless it‘s Ranger Suarez vs Atlanta, apparently!

Unless it‘s Ranger Suarez vs Atlanta, apparently!

Ramger cashed my k prop! I told you I was worried bout him with atl seeing him so much lately. Seattle had seen plenty of Valdez but Valdez a way better pitcher than ranger imo, lot of guys I respect like ranger way more than I do. He far to inconsistent with his control for my taste.

i have Valdez with a 6 inning, 7 k’s, 2 run stat line tonight. Just hope I’m not being overly optimistic with Castillo who I think goes 6+ (maybe 7) fans 6 and inky allows 1 run vs a very good Stros lineup. I like Stros havnt seen him. Well not in few years anyway.

Fan graphs only has Castillo going 5.4 with just under 5 k’s. That change up the equalizer to that stud who hit the game winning homer, along with the other Stros lefties! He should dominate the righties with the high 90s heat w movement!

I like playoff dogs equal to or under +130. I feel like if the M's were to win this line would be closer to even.

I dunno. I think there a built in inflation on Stros given not only their playoff track record but also they have just owned the m’s! That worries me. But I love Castillo so I’m taking a shot. Had Stros lost I think they woulda been steeper today for real.

I dunno. I think there a built in inflation on Stros given not only their playoff track record but also they have just owned the m’s! That worries me. But I love Castillo so I’m taking a shot. Had Stros lost I think they woulda been steeper today for real.
its right on the line that I pass. I want to take the M's but with their best pitcher and the line not on the boarder of pickem its difficult for me not to think the dog is a sucker play. I am still looking for the line to creep down a line move down would be great. Just the way i see it

I am very happy for the quick reply thanks a bunch. I like the M's but lack confidence

I will play in game. Runs are key. If the M's score i get a decent line im in. If its a early deficit or scoreless im off the M's. sounds stupid but dogs must score runs and i have to see it.

its right on the line that I pass. I want to take the M's but with their best pitcher and the line not on the boarder of pickem its difficult for me not to think the dog is a sucker play. I am still looking for the line to creep down a line move down would be great. Just the way i see it

I am very happy for the quick reply thanks a bunch. I like the M's but lack confidence

I’m not super confident either. I have no doubt Stros win series, I just think this the one game seattle can get. Can’t imagine they that popular, I didn’t hear anyone say they thought seattle could win this series (including me!). I like the Valdez k prop a lot, Castillo ov 17.5 outs. The sgp with both pitchers fanning 6, m’s +2,5, under 8.5, pats +600. Both these teams generally play close games so I think a seattle +1.5/under 7.5 parlay a solid value play.

I see Bovada at +130 atm

The #1 key to this game imo is Castillo world class change up neutralizing houston 2 big boppers from the left side! His fastball/slider should handle the righties

If i hadn‘t been assigned this game then i‘m sure I would have passed, hence you don‘t see my usual type of stats but filler info about Castillo to make the word count

The M’s team total is 2.5 if the over hits that brings this data query to 30-8 su. That the key to me in this one. Get runs from the M’s

There are 2 keys the dogs in the playoffs. No more than 1 loss in a row. They have to stay in the series. There are exceptions but the ROI is bad with losing streaks. Also low to even lines. The books are saying the dog can fight hard. These +180 lines long term are not good. + $ Coin flips are strong.

There are 2 keys the dogs in the playoffs. No more than 1 loss in a row. They have to stay in the series. There are exceptions but the ROI is bad with losing streaks. Also low to even lines. The books are saying the dog can fight hard. These +180 lines long term are not good. + $ Coin flips are strong.

Lot of big Dogs cashed or in Seattle case pissed away the win yesterday. I don’t think seattle can win series. They just don’t match up, this the one game they do since houston hasn’t seen Castillo. I don’t believe Kirby beating McCullers and Stros own Ray. This was not the matchup I wanted here, yanks got the gift since cle won the shifty central. I think they should seed off record Not division winner! Hard enough you play the tougher schedule if you seattle, they woulda won central by 25 games! I have no doubt seattle woulda beat yanks and spare us another yanks/Houston alcs!

Stros even have the only pen who matches seattle filth. Seattle has the filthier arms but Stros pen vets who been here and get it done.

Give me a minute to dig up some away favorite trend history. Astros have a lot of history in playoffs. Do you think this team is as good as previous seasons? Better than previous years?

It just comes off as it’s stressed he only has four pitches. I know you look for feedback on these…not nit picking,
Oh, I see where you're coming from now, I appreciate it. Maybe next time i'll say something like "To describe Castillo's repertoire..." to indicate what I'm doing.

Give me a minute to dig up some away favorite trend history. Astros have a lot of history in playoffs. Do you think this team is as good as previous seasons? Better than previous years?

Tough to say, I think the top end pitchers little less strong but overall depth of rotation best it ever been. Mancini was a big add. I’d say very close. I think they the only reason my adopted AL team m’s can’t make WS. If houston wasn’t here I’d have bet hella seattle futures!

This pertains to the following games in Seattle.

Astros away favorites <-120. The Astros do very poorly

Attachments

• E4FAAB9C-58BB-45EE-A871-6F38EFDB7E3F.png
    E4FAAB9C-58BB-45EE-A871-6F38EFDB7E3F.png
    493.7 KB · Views: 2
And if the Astros are away dogs still not great in history

Attachments

• F481554E-B04D-478F-98B5-CA499DA7F04D.png
    F481554E-B04D-478F-98B5-CA499DA7F04D.png
    500.4 KB · Views: 1
So in my opinion it’s all based upon the line for a strong ROI take the best highest dog line on either team.

Well I’m not sure how it plays on the field but history says Seattle can fight

Stros just own them unfortunately. I still can’t get over the 7 games they played after the asb when seattle was charging and Stros whipped then 6-1!! Castillo has to be the man, he the only difference to the equation of Stros owning them, he can dominate any lineup. Been screaming it I believe this his coming out party as big game pitcher since he never had the chance in cincy. I begged cards to trade for him, best pitcher not many talk about imo.

Astros have faced Castillo like less then 10ABs as a team combined. Seattle has about 90 ABs agains Valdez.

Both are strong pitchers and Valdez is very underrated IMO in this Astros line up.

For my money these easily the best 2 teams in AL

Cmon Castillo, time to show us you a big game pitcher. Never had that chance in cincy. I begged cards to get this guy but they couldn’t bare to trade some cost controlled losers! Seattle made themselves contenders the next 3-4 years by going and getting this guy to pair with those 2 young studs in Gilbert and Kirby. I’ll for sure be holding a seattle WS FUTURE NEXT YEAR, My Phillies future still alive this year!

It just comes off as it’s stressed he only has four pitches. I know you look for feedback on these…not nit picking,

It is kinda odd these days for pitchers to have, and more importantly use, 4 pitches. Many guys are 2 pitch pitchers, some have 3…but if you look at their usage rate, it’s really only 2 they use predominantly. Or if they have 4, they only use 2 heavily and maybe use the 3rd some but rarely the 4th.

Hope that makes sense.

It is kinda odd these days for pitchers to have, and more importantly use, 4 pitches. Many guys are 2 pitch pitchers, some have 3…but if you look at their usage rate, it’s really only 2 they use predominantly. Or if they have 4, they only use 2 heavily and maybe use the 3rd some but rarely the 4th.

Hope that makes sense.

I think the best have at least 3 they can trust. 2 pitch guys tough to be getting thru lineups 3x. I love Yu he has bout 10 pitches and uses 5 or so working best any given day! If you got 2 elite you can get by w 2 but you be more a 5 inning guy. To be a guy who consistently goes 6+ you need 3-4 imo. 2 can be the dominant 2, like 75% but you need 1-2 others the hitter has to think about to truly be elite.

Def don’t need a 4th if you have 2 elite and a plus. Unless you throwing low 90s them a 4th helps. If you have dominant heat 3 is plenty.

It just a damn shame this why I couldn’t bet seattle to win this series cause Stros win all these close 1s. Freaking Suarez hr or nothing. We don’t want home run

Back