Seattle SuperSonics transform in the OK City THUNDERCATS!!

wreck

Pretty much a regular
seriously

the Oklahoma City Thundercats

The seattlepi had a note that one of the rumored names for the OKCity team could be Thundercats, Bandits and Thunder. Besides the obvious hilarity of having a pro sports team named after a classic cheesy 80's cartoon could anything be better than seeing Durant rocking this dope assed jersey that I mocked up?

I think nothing .......OK CITY THUNDERCATS HO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They would supplant the worst names in sports, almost immediately.

Those being, of course, the Minnesota Wild and the Miami Heat.

You know they'll never go with Bandits because it's not PC enough.

Damn, I forgot, that team just got Durant, too. What a kick in the n*ts to Seattle.

Fuck Seattle.

They didn't need to build a brand new football and baseball stadium right beside each other. One stadium for both sports would have been good enough.

And Key Arena was only built about 15 years ago, so they should have done a proper job when the original construction was done.

Don't feel too sorry for the people of Seattle, because a lot of this shit is their own fault. Ya, the new owner is kinda shady, but they could have easily avoided this situation.

Explain Greencastle? Why should we not feel bad for the fans of Seattle and how is it their fault? Also, are you from Greencastle, Indiana?

they cant be the thundercats, thats all hilton armstrongs.

@ hornets home games they play the "Thundercats, HOOOO" sound clip anytime he scores, hahaha

Explain Greencastle? Why should we not feel bad for the fans of Seattle and how is it their fault? Also, are you from Greencastle, Indiana?

Basically like I said in the 5th post, they left Seattle because of the arena. It wasn't up to snuff, and the tax payers didnt want to pay for a new one, or renovations to the existing building.

The fact is Key Arena was only built about 15 years ago and if the necessary due dilligence was done at the time, they wouldn't need to build a new arena or renovate so quickly. It's not like the Kingdome which was falling apart, this is only a 15 year old arena, which is pretty new compared to other cities.

Also, the fact that they built two brand new football and baseball stadiums, right beside each other, when the more logical decision would have been to construct one multi-purpose stadium was a huge mistake. With one multi-purpose stadium, you save tons of cash and you have more than enough money to renovate Key Arena.

And no, I'm from Toronto not Indiana.

I disagree with building a multipurpose stadium. Nobody's doing that any more.

The reason they left was, in many ways, however, the fault of the city. They wouldn't buck up. That said, why should they?

They'd just paid for two other buildings, and Key Arena isn't that old.

Any time you have three teams and you need to build three buildings at roughly the same time, the last team always gets the short end of the stick because the city is fed up with footing the bill.

I think Seattle's temperment, that of the city and its people, hurt this whole thing.

They're pretty laid back for the most part and I think they felt like this team was sort of constantly out to screw them in various ways, so they kind of gave them the finger. That doesn't excuse what the owner of the Sonics did, but it is to say I'm not totally shocked they left.

They might as well start getting used to these jokes , now !!!

group5a2.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OWRvkRj8KQA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OWRvkRj8KQA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Multi-purpose stadiums aren't ideal, especially in big cities like New York or Chicago, but for smaller markets like Seattle they can work.

The two statiums are located rite beside each other, and were constructed at approximately the same time, so they did have an oppurtunity to go that route.

Basically like I said in the 5th post, they left Seattle because of the arena. It wasn't up to snuff, and the tax payers didnt want to pay for a new one, or renovations to the existing building.

The fact is Key Arena was only built about 15 years ago and if the necessary due dilligence was done at the time, they wouldn't need to build a new arena or renovate so quickly. It's not like the Kingdome which was falling apart, this is only a 15 year old arena, which is pretty new compared to other cities.

Also, the fact that they built two brand new football and baseball stadiums, right beside each other, when the more logical decision would have been to construct one multi-purpose stadium was a huge mistake. With one multi-purpose stadium, you save tons of cash and you have more than enough money to renovate Key Arena.

And no, I'm from Toronto not Indiana.

Key Arena was among the smallest arenas in the NBA, if not the smallest.

If you or I lived in Seattle, we would have little do with what Howard Schultz initially tried doing, which was ask the City of Seattle for an agreement with public funds. Bennett even proposed something himself and that fell through after he bought the team from Schultz. A fan movement was only started AFTER word was Bennett was doing all he could to get out of the Key Arena lease. Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft even got involved and said his investor group would pay half of the $300 million needed for the renovation. The government still denied it.

I think it's quite easy for us as fans to request a multi-purpose arena. And Joe is right, who does that now? There are many cities where stadiums sit literally yards away from each other.

So I ask you again, how exactly are the citizens to blame?

so just because other cities aren't building that many multi-purpose stadiums anymore, they should be banned??? come on now, you're better than that.

and nobody in here has blamed the citizens of seattle for this move.

"Don't feel too sorry for the people of Seattle, because a lot of this shit is their own fault. Ya, the new owner is kinda shady, but they could have easily avoided this situation."

Um, ok, well I took your lines out of context then so I apologize. My bad.

And no one used the word banned. I said it isn't plausible anymore. Most cities would agree. They would never get "banned", LMAO. Aren't you better than that?

:cheers:

"Don't feel too sorry for the people of Seattle, because a lot of this shit is their own fault. Ya, the new owner is kinda shady, but they could have easily avoided this situation."

Um, ok, well I took your lines out of context then so I apologize. My bad.

And no one used the word banned. I said it isn't plausible anymore. Most cities would agree. They would never get "banned", LMAO. Aren't you better than that?

:cheers:

How is it the fan's fault that the city/owners made mistakes with the arenas etc?

fuck, we got a lot of slow people on this site.

the decision to build safeco and the football stadium were based on a public vote. so now looking back, you can see that it was a mistake building two seperate stadiums, whether you clowns wanna admit it or not. so blame the voters, aka the citizens.

and who were the people that elected the politicians in the city of seattle?

That's an interesting way to look at it....so now you are saying it is the people's fault? I thought you backed off that...?

Multipurpose stadiums suck IMO

I think there is one left, in Oakland(edit: Miami as well)

You have a better homefield advantage in football if the stadium is designed for football only. If you share with baseball, it has to be more round and takes the fans away from the field somewhat. Then you have the fact that in September each year Raider and Dolphin games you have the dirt infield in play. This messes with placekicking, etc and just looks bad.

Metrodome blows my asshole, my lord. Minny fans are probably so fucking happy they are putting some money in their teams.

Oklahoma City's basketball team (the Thunder?) already has more than 16,000 people signed up for season tickets.
The list filled up in just 16 days, which is truly remarkable -- to put it in perspective, there were 11 teams whose average home attendance last season was below 16,000. Indiana had the poorest home attendance, at 12,221.

Barons, Thunder among 6 nicknames league seeks for OKC

Associated Press

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->
<!-- end story header --> <!-- begin left column --> <!-- begin page tools --> Updated: July 26, 2008, 1:59 AM ET
<!-- end page tools --> <!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->OKLAHOMA CITY -- The NBA has filed for trademark rights to six nicknames for the league's new Oklahoma City franchise: Barons, Bison, Energy, Marshalls, Thunder and Wind.
An attorney for the league made the filing Monday with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Marshal is usually spelled with one l. It's not clear why the league used a variant spelling.
The filing is listed on the patent office's Web site.
The NBA and the team have refused to discuss possible new names for the team formerly known as the Seattle SuperSonics ahead of an official announcement, which has not yet been scheduled.

Back