Seattle Seahawks -- Don't Crown Them as NFC Champs--Yet

KoalaInATree

Pretty much a regular
ESPN informed me earlier, that with Seattle (likely) locking up the #1 overall seed in the NFC yesterday and getting HFA up to the Big Game, they won the NFC. WHY EVEN PLAY THE REST OF THE GAMES?!?!?!?

Which is weird, because, the NFC in recent years comes down to which team gets hot in the playoffs, and it tends to be an under-the-radar team without targets on their back, with 10 or less wins:

Giants (10-6)
Cards (9-7)
Saints (13-3)
Packers (10-6)
Giants (9-7)
Niners (11-4-1)

CenturyLink is an insane environment to play in. Earl Thomas/Kam Chancellor, IMO, could go on to be the best safety tandem in NFL history. I've never seen two guys that quick to the ball. And playing 3-deep allows them to keep everything in front of them, and use their closing speed to step up and make plays. Lynch is going to give you 80+ all-purpose yds/1 TD nearly every game, and that's on a bad day. Russell Wilson gonna manage the shit out of the game and not turn the ball over, keeping defenses honest beating them w/ his legs and his arm. And who knows what wrinkle Percy Harvin will add (Hawks are smart to sit him until the playoffs so teams don't have any tape to look at.)

But there are times they've been beaten up in the trenches. STL did it, and would've won if not for Kellen Clemens being dogshit. TB had them on the ropes but also shit all over themselves in 2H/game was too big for them. What about these power-running teams who will be in the mix -- CAR and SF -- who will commit to the run and stick to it, punching them in the mouth? The best way to beat a physical team is to be more physical. And these CBs have not been challenged yet, but they will be. They play almost all man-coverage and the losses of Browner and Thurmond (who knows how well he'll play when he returns).

If history repeats itself, SEA won't win the conference. They may host the NFC Championship, but some team that gets hot at the right time and specializes in contain to keep RW3 from scrambling and/or running, will scheme the hell out of them and somehow squeak out a victory.

I'll be on SF -2.5 this week in their "statement" game. Niners getting healthy at the right time and somehow, the defending NFC champ gets the benefit of coming in under the radar. SEA is riding high, possibly complacent, and Earl Thomas still thinks they won the MNF Super Bowl.

What flaws do you guys see in this team?

ESPN spent all day jerking off to Russel Wilson as well. Team is unbeatable, case closed

ESPN spent all day jerking off to Russel Wilson as well. Team is unbeatable, case closed

Since the minute the game ended, up until the last hour or two, with the Hot Stove stuff garnering some attention (THANK YOU, MLB!).

It really is sickening that the WORLDWIDE LEADER OF SPORTS just runs the same opinions and drivel, over and over, rinse/repeat. Successful media outlets think outside the box and run contrarian opinions. But not them!

some team that gets hot at the right time

Who is that in your opinion?

I have had SEA in sidebets since April with friends fwiw...just curious...

some team that gets hot at the right time

Who is that in your opinion?

Who knows, lol, NFL is such a week-by-week league. Probably wont have a good idea until Weeks 16/17. This year in particular, it's fairly easy to find major flaws in every team. So it's going to come down to matchups and seeding methinks. And a lot of that will be decided in CAR-NO this Sunday.

In the NFC, I like San Fran. They have the postseason experience, excellent coaching staff and they're a pretty deep team. Matchups-wise, they're the power-running team that has the best chance and personnel to play the Hawks physical. And these two div rivals know eachother so well.

Behind them, New Orleans, if they get the #2 seed and get to utilize the SuperDome up to NFCC, could definitely be that team, too. It's all about gameplanning and matchups in the postseason, and they'll make the necessary adjustments and come back with a better gameplan. They'll find ways to stretch the field with Colston and Stills to free up Graham. Their performance on MNF was not indicative of what they can do, IMO.

Carolina is a tough matchup on paper, but who knows what Cam, Riverboat Ron and this young team will look like on the road in just their second playoff game in 8 yrs? (assuming NO wins division of course) And I just don't think they have enough playmakers on offense to go toe-to-toe with Seattle. But they do matchup well on paper, talking schemes, just less talented.

Lions, Cowboys, and Eagles, IMO, too many issues with the back end of the secondary. Defenses that give up big plays in the postseason don't get far. All the other teams in the mix have excellent play-action passing games, and they can exploit them vertically. My other problem is all of these offenses tend to have moments/dry spells where they look out of sync. Can't just turn it off and on. DET and Dallas need to be more consistent in first halves of games, too. Can't fall behind in postseason.

And this is just how I see the NFC big picture at the moment. Your bet was a good one. Is SEA the fav to win the NFC? Of course, and they should be. But I'm not ready to pencil them into the Super Bowl yet.

One BIG, underrated angle that no one is talking about -- officiating in the postseason. Will they let SEA play physical in secondary? Those CBs LOVE press-man and they get away with a lot of borderline stuff.

The Ravens got away with ENDLESS holds, by Oline and in secondary, in their SB run. Let's all go back and watch Jacoby Jones return the 2H kickoff for a TD, with THREE holds by three diff Ravens on the play. And they were handed a Super Bowl thanks to the refs throwing a bone to Murderer Ray so he could go work for Worldwide Leader.

Methinks they'll probably let them play, being the NFC fav and "12th man" to drive ratings/good for NFL's brand, at home, which does give a nice advantage on the Hawks side.

Petie's ego "could" hurt them. Wilson's inexperience in the playoffs could hurt them. Getting too big of a head could hurt them.

Also anything can happen any given week. Rodgers could come back and GB gets hot. Carolina is a very good football team, SF heating up. Far from over but you have to give them the nod as the team to beat.

They sure do look awfully tough to beat in Seattle though. Best HF advantage in recent memory, especially if the weather gets weird.

In looking at the potential competition, I believe Carolina is only team that could go into Seattle and win. They have the right combination of talent and not knowing they're not supposed to win. The 49ers will be controlled by any good defense. The Saints have to be at home. Don't tell me the Cowboys are that team. Eagles could be the squad that gets hot, I do like Foles. The Lions don't have the discipline, they do have the talent but Stafford and Schwartz would make the critical mistakes if the game was close.

In a single game Dallas would have a puncher's chance with Seattle based on their ability to generate turnovers, but they'd need to win at least one, maybe two playoff games before that. There lies the problem.

Carolina is a good football team and they hung with the Seahawks earlier this year in a game that could have gone either way. If the Panthers had a better running game, I would really like their chances. But they have a QB who has played in some huge games, who just might be able to go into SEA and get shit done. I still think Frisco could beat them in Seattle too, though it would take a hell of an effort.

Would Romo still be the holder in a playoff game in SEA?

In a single game Dallas would have a puncher's chance with Seattle based on their ability to generate turnovers, but they'd need to win at least one, maybe two playoff games before that. There lies the problem.

i agree with this. Dallas, Has the pieces to compete. If they can put it together would be a different story.

No opposing qb scares me at century link in the nfc this year..except brees.

No so much cold, but the conditions seem to get pretty unpredictable and adverse up there this time of year. It's not going to stall an offense like say playing in 0 degrees and snow showers, but it's not ideal for a team like the Saints. Seattle's pretty dominant there regardless of the weather.

Brees the only one though..my point is it's seattle or bust if they have hfa

Why do people think its cold in Seattle in January?

The average temp is in the upper 40s

said this in the in game

upper 40s and averages 1 day of snow a year in january, which is usually like a once a decade type week long storm

its mild

Back