Sean McDermott is insane

“What tactics did the terrorist use to come together”? I think it was the belief that a sexually opposed group of ppl were promised 99 virgins in the afterlife, lol. Not sure that works for nfl players who should be smashing plenty of ass here on earth, everyone of them knows getting stuck with 99 virgins isn’t exactly the ideal afterlife!

I went to undergrad with McDermott (and Tomlin), and since I was in the football frat, I knew McDermott pretty well. He was a good guy when I knew him, but let's just say that he was never going pro in something other than football...

I’m not sure he a particularly good head coach? Think it fair to say bills have grossly underachieved since he been there. The only good years I think have to be attributed to Daboll. I think he probably a very good dc but he has failed as the head man of a team that shoulda won more than they have under his watch.

Far as this stupid speech I seriously can’t stand this world we live in where some dumb crap someone said or did years ago all a sudden comes out to kick a guy when he down. Why didn’t anyone bring that up when they were perennial contenders?

Athletes and coaches are idiots. That is the baseline.

Remember Belicheat not calling timeout, only to be outdone by Gum Chewing Pete and Geno in the super bowl? That is the greatest coach ever in professional football. He was a complete idiot in the biggest game and got bailed out by a bigger idiot.

I went to undergrad with McDermott (and Tomlin), and since I was in the football frat, I knew McDermott pretty well. He was a good guy when I knew him, but let's just say that he was never going pro in something other than football...
You went to Billy & Bitch?

I’m not sure he a particularly good head coach? Think it fair to say bills have grossly underachieved since he been there. The only good years I think have to be attributed to Daboll. I think he probably a very good dc but he has failed as the head man of a team that shoulda won more than they have under his watch.

Far as this stupid speech I seriously can’t stand this world we live in where some dumb crap someone said or did years ago all a sudden comes out to kick a guy when he down. Why didn’t anyone bring that up when they were perennial contenders?
My take: his underachieving this season has him on borrowed time and this story was leaked now in an effort to undermine him. But maybe that's just me and my wife being in the middle of season 2 of Succession now that college football is over and my schedule has opened up. I'll tell you one thing - if someone tried to make McDermott take the fall for some cruise lines scandal, then we'll know.

You went to Billy & Bitch?
Indeed. Class of '95. Doesn't have the rep of Miami (Ohio), but we've had our own little cradle of coaches going on (Tomlin, McD, Lou Holtz, Marc Levy, Daboll, Joe Brady, Dan Quinn, recently-disgraced Alan Williams, Duffner + Livingston + Potts were part of Bengals Super Bowl LVI staff). If you like listening to FCS football on the radio, it may well be the place for you.

Indeed. Class of '95. Doesn't have the rep of Miami (Ohio), but we've had our own little cradle of coaches going on (Tomlin, McD, Lou Holtz, Marc Levy, Daboll, Joe Brady, Dan Quinn, recently-disgraced Alan Williams, Duffner + Livingston + Potts were part of Bengals Super Bowl LVI staff). If you like listening to FCS football on the radio, it may well be the place for you.
Very good school, with interesting history. It’s ancient.

Haha. You graduated with my neighbor. He was also friends with McDerm. Played football with him.

He was solid defensive coordinator but now gets out coached on a regular basis.

He’s a jack ass for saying what he said, and will likely no longer be coaching the bills this time next year for reasons of consistently under performing

There used to be a guy here that rode his bicycle to the bar that went to Bill and Bitch

if there are so many capable coaches why are the vast majority of the ones currently coaching so clueless.
You can thank the brilliant concept of coaching trees winning on the field as opposed to the players themselves. Been like that for several decades in the NFL now.

You can thank the brilliant concept of coaching trees winning on the field as opposed to the players themselves. Been like that for several decades in the NFL now.
I just see great or even good coaches being so few and far between that I question where all these great coaches supposedly are.

You're telling me steve bellichek didnt earn his job by merit?
That guy is a glorified waterboy but I still don't see all these great coaches that just need a chance. Being a fan of a team that should be looking for a new coach and I can't come up with more than 4 or 5 acceptable candidiates.

That guy is a glorified waterboy but I still don't see all these great coaches that just need a chance. Being a fan of a team that should be looking for a new coach and I can't come up with more than 4 or 5 acceptable candidiates.
I think 10 years ago it was guys like McDaniels in miami who likely never would have gotten a chance, theres probably a ton of guys like that who are college OCs, or nfl offensive assistants who should be considered for head jobs

Ever since mcvays success teams have been going younger and relying less on previous hc experience, some owners will always want a guy who head coached in the past though, especially if they are older

Seems like younger former players are getting chances too, demeco ryans in houston is gonna help a lot more with that too going forward

In 2016 average age if head coaches was 53, last year it was 42, I could see it being in 30s soon

I don’t play football, but does the playbook codes have to be so weird and long?

Can’t they be like a1, a2 or maybe words like Boob , AZZ and also numbers?

I don’t play football, but does the playbook codes have to be so weird and long?

Can’t they be like a1, a2 or maybe words like Boob , AZZ and also numbers?
most of it only qb needs to know entire thing. Link below breaks down a play call saints used with brees and what each player needs to listen for

It lets you modify one call a bunch if different ways

Rather than having that call have A 1 through 30 or whatever for minor tweaks

Which is a lot harder to memorize

I think 10 years ago it was guys like McDaniels in miami who likely never would have gotten a chance, theres probably a ton of guys like that who are college OCs, or nfl offensive assistants who should be considered for head jobs

Ever since mcvays success teams have been going younger and relying less on previous hc experience, some owners will always want a guy who head coached in the past though, especially if they are older

Seems like younger former players are getting chances too, demeco ryans in houston is gonna help a lot more with that too going forward

In 2016 average age if head coaches was 53, last year it was 42, I could see it being in 30s soon
Can't be more thrilled with Gannon and Ossenfort here as first timers although it didn't take a leap of faith to replace Kliff/Keim. Gannon seems to do what any good defensive HC does, surround yourself with an OC and QB coach you trust (OL too to a degree).

Without talent, you aren't winning in this league. Without good coaching you'll constantly have poor talent.

Looking at what Tomlin has done since Ben was in his prime he should get some lifetime achievement award.

What you need in a head coach is someone who can relate to the players and be that motivational type. KJ mentioned Tomlin and it’s a great example…he’s not anywhere near the best with the “common sense” stuff like calling TOs, going on 4th, going for 2, punting, challenging calls, etc…but his players will run through a wall for him and respect the fuck out of him. McDermott is very similar in that way. McDaniels is another great example, McVay, etc.

Then your coordinators should be the “x and o” type that game plans, calls plays, etc.

It seems to be a pretty simple formula but for some reason way too many teams want to hire the guy who fits perfectly as a coordinator for the HC job…and we’ve seen how often that doesn’t work. It’s been going on for decades and we’ve definitely had this discussion in the past. Some guys are just coordinators, it is what it is…finding a way to keep them by paying them enough so they don’t feel the need for the HC job may be a good start, but you’ll always have their ego which will want to be “the boss.”

That doesn’t mean the HC only needs to be a rah-rah guy who motivates and relates to players, but that should be their focus as opposed to trying to do it all, so to speak. It makes sense for HCs to keep getting younger, as they’ll be much more relatable to the players as the age gap isn’t as drastic as it is for a guy in his 50s/60s.

Can't be more thrilled with Gannon and Ossenfort here as first timers although it didn't take a leap of faith to replace Kliff/Keim. Gannon seems to do what any good defensive HC does, surround yourself with an OC and QB coach you trust (OL too to a degree).

Without talent, you aren't winning in this league. Without good coaching you'll constantly have poor talent.

Looking at what Tomlin has done since Ben was in his prime he should get some lifetime achievement award.
I think you are jumping the gun a bit on Gannon but he's been promising for sure. Still it takes a lot for me to trust any DC as a head coach.

He was solid defensive coordinator but now gets out coached on a regular basis.

He’s a jack ass for saying what he said, and will likely no longer be coaching the bills this time next year for reasons of consistently under performing

It was a asinine statement, redic comparison, nothing bout it made any dang sense, that more troublesome to me than the “insensitivity”, As I mentioned I find it equally if not more ignorant that didn’t come out when bills were peaking but some jerkoff holds it for 4 years just waiting till guy struggling to kick him w that?!??! Whomever did that a bigger asshole than the guy making the redic statement to team. Ppl are so disingenuous it really makes me sad for the human race. Not one of us hadn’t said some dumb shit or shit that bunch of woke crybabies would find insensitive, but they so outraged they hold on to that for 4 years?, if it truly offended the Mfer he woulda put it out 4 years ago!!

Not much different than these phony baseball writers and mlb scum who knew damn well what was going on in baseball during the steroid era but it helped baseball rebound from near death so it was good for them all. Now 15 years later they get all self righteous and wanna keep these guys out the HOF?!!!!! It all a joke. You either have a genuine moral problem w whatever it is and you report it instantly, or you just as bad as the ppl you d years later after they done helping your career!! Pretty much the equivalent of getting caught doing something illegal and rather than be a man and own it and take your time you can’t write statements fast enough to save your own ass while sending others away. I think way less of the putz who sat o this story for 4 years than the man who made the stupid speech. McNuggets has done plenty wrong that should prob get him fired if bills domt make a run this year but anyone judging him off this crap from 4 years ago Is judging the wrong person imo.

Back