Scores, QBs, Records & Lines 10 Coldest NFL Games

bones

We Must Protect Our Democracy
hw3.cgi
image.jpeg

FUMBLES....see post below, there seems to be @ least one common theme

Supposed to be 2 degrees with NW winds around 14 mph Sunday in Green Bay, making it one of the coldest games in NFL history.

Of course, its only natural to wonder how the weather will affect the game. Decided to take a look and found this article regarding the 10 coldest games in NFL history:

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d824da7dd

Then went back and looked at the scores, records & lines in those games as well as the QBs.

I haven't analyzed what meaning, if any, can be determined from the info but here it is and interested in thoughts:

December 22, 1990 Lions (6-10) v Packers (6-10)

QBs: Rodney Peete v Blair Kiel

Line: Lions -3 O/U 36

Score: Lions 24 Packers 17

ATS: Favorite & Over

January 15, 1994 Raiders (10-6) v Bills (12-4)

QBs: Jeff Hostetler v Jim Kelly

Line: Bills -7 O/U 33.5

Score: Bills 29 Raiders 23

ATS: Dog & Over

December 26, 1993 Raiders (10-6) v Packers (9-7)

QBs: Hostetler & Vince Evans v Brett Favre

Line: Packers -3 O/U 32.5

Score: Packers 28 Raiders 0

ATS: Favorite & Under

December 10, 1972 Packers (9-4) v Vikes (7-6)

QBs: Scott Hunter v Fran Tarkenton

Line: Pick 'Em [no O/U that I could find]

Score: Packers 23 Vikes 7

ATS: Packers

December 3, 1972 Bears (3-8-1) v Vikes (7-5)

QBs: Bobby Douglass v Fran Tarkenton

Line: Pick 'Em

Score: Vikes 23 Bears 10

ATS: Vikes

January 21, 2008 Giants (10-6) v Packers (13-3)

QBs: Eli v Brett

Line: Packers -7.5 O/U 41.5

Score: Giants 23 Packers 20

ATS: Dog & Over

January 4, 1981 Raiders (11-5) v Browns (11-5)

QBs: Jim Plunkett v Brian Sipe
Line: Browns -3.5

Score: Raiders 14 Browns 12

ATS: Dog

January 7, 1996 Colts (9-7) v Chiefs (13-3)

QBs: Jim Harbaugh v Rich Gannon

Line: KC -8 O/U 41.5

Score: Colts 10 Chiefs 7

ATS: Dog & Under

January 10, 1982 Chargers (11-7) v Bengals (14-4)

QBs: Dan Fouts v Ken Anderson

Line: Bengals -4.5

Score: Bengals 27 Chargers 7

ATS: Favorite

December 31, 1967 Cowboys (9-5) v Packers (9-4-1)
:crying: ( I was in elementary school and watching my favorite team)
QBs: Dandy Don [ Dan Reeves, Don Perkins, Bullet Bob Hayes, Lance Rentzel, John Niland, Ralph Neeley, Chuck Howley, Lee Roy Jordan, Cornell Green & Mel Renfro ] v Bart Starr [ Donny Anderson, Carroll Dale, Boyd Dowler, Marv Fleming, Jerry Kramer, Forrest Gregg, Willie Davis, Ray Nitschke, Bob Jeter & Willie Wood] and

Mr Tom Landry v Mr Vince Lombardi

Line: Pick 'Em

Score: Packers 21 Cowboys 17 ( there were no real losers in this game....goose bumps thinking about it )

ATS: Packers

Did notice that the head coach going to Green Bay this Sunday was also the winning QB in one of these coldest games

Maybe should go back and study passing yds and rushing backs & yards...will try to do.

Like I said before, don't know if this helps but wanted to let you know what I found.

Last edited:
Funny they have #9 at 0 degrees and -32 windchill, but #7 is 0 degrees and -18 windchill. You think the guy who wrote the article didn't understand how negative temps work?

Red-right 88 ... an 11-year-old tipyerbartender insists, "I'm not crying!"

Tip, remember that game in Cleveland a few years ago with Buffalo and your Browns (the 8-0 game)? What was the temp in that game? I thought for sure it would be on this list. Was is not really that cold and just windy or something, and I'm completely remembering it wrong? I thought for sure there was a ton of snow and that it was cold as balls outside that day.

Shouldn't the Michael Vick playoff game in Green Bay be on this list? I'll have to look it up...

Shouldn't the Michael Vick playoff game in Green Bay be on this list? I'll have to look it up...

It was 31 degrees that night in Lambeau. "Unseasonably warm" is what is said in the article I just found.

Tip, remember that game in Cleveland a few years ago with Buffalo and your Browns? What was the temp in that game? I thought for sure it would be on this list, but I guess it was only single digits huh?

The playoff games get all the memories (and obviously those are ancient history), but it's always pretty damn cold down there when the wind's blowing this time of year. Upper deck feels like you're sitting unsheltered in the Himalayas. It wasn't a great idea to put an outdoor stadium right on the lake to begin with, so what did they do for the new one in '99? They knocked down the old one and put the new one right there again.

It was 31 degrees that night in Lambeau. "Unseasonably warm" is what is said in the article I just found.
Hmm, wind chill 16 is what I found. Guess my memory's starting to go... What about that Vikings game at Gopher Field a few years ago? Be right back...

Funny they have #9 at 0 degrees and -32 windchill, but #7 is 0 degrees and -18 windchill. You think the guy who wrote the article didn't understand how negative temps work?
To be honest, I did not notice. I just took list @ face value. Now noticed it was 'updated' January 2012.

I don't know if these games have any importance, could 'jump to conclusion' that they are lowering scoring. But, with rule changes and current nature of game, i question this conclusion.

Hope you enjoyed this.

To be honest, I did not notice. I just took list @ face value. Now noticed it was 'updated' January 2012.

I don't know if these games have any importance, could 'jump to conclusion' that they are lowering scoring. But, with rule changes and current nature of game, i question this conclusion.

Hope you enjoyed this.

Yep, thanks for posting. I only noticed because the Bills were at #9, so I looked at the temp and wind chill, then just kept looking at all of them.

[video=youtube;Zg4GNY1fyLw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg4GNY1fyLw[/video]

24 year old DaRaiders was sheading tears of joy and 3 weeks later watched in Miami Beach as they won Super Bowl XV...those were the days.

And I am sure you were not. I can tell you this...I will never forget Starr's quarterback sneak into the endzone....made me a sad little boy. I aint kidding, get goosebumps thinking about it.

The playoff games get all the memories (and obviously those are ancient history), but it's always pretty damn cold down there when the wind's blowing this time of year. Upper deck feels like you're sitting unsheltered in the Himalayas. It wasn't a great idea to put an outdoor stadium right on the lake to begin with, so what did they do for the new one in '99? They knocked down the old one and put the new one right there again.

That 8-0 game from 2007 was a balmy 30 degrees Tip. It was the snow that made the game miserable for the offenses (not to mention it being the Bills and Browns), not the cold temperatures like I thought.

Current Forecast is temps btw 2 & -4 with wind chill -24 or so. Very similar to January 2008 game weather btw Giants & Packers.

good stuff bones... I wonder if todays equipment improvements (QB gloves, etc) make this kind of cold a little more workable than some of those early games? Would think so especially at the skill positions

good stuff bones... I wonder if todays equipment improvements (QB gloves, etc) make this kind of cold a little more workable than some of those early games? Would think so especially at the skill positions
First, post #17 is a wonderful example of how we can keep warm in cold weather. In fact, I suspect her boyfriend is one of the guys that did not purchase a ticket this weekend.....why leave home?

Here is an article I found of some interest:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...laying-in-a-freezing-game-in-green-bay-010214

Hell, I do a little duck hunting, and the Under Armour gear certainly keeps me warmer than the old long underwear i used many years ago.

Like i said, I don't know if any of this helped. But, to me ( and I know there are exceptions ) one could make an argument that the more solid QB is the way to go. I personally think its so brutally cold today that anyone that thinks Green Bay as a "cold weather team" has an advantage is kidding themselves. Hell, the residents of Wisconsin know how to handle cold weather and they don't want to be @ game.

I am going with bigger, stronger team ( and a QB that has run option )....SF for me......we have all played some ball, heck even in golf, ball gets cold and hard as a rock.

One more thing, isn't the field 'heated' unlike back in 1967? I think so. Remember when Jerry Kramer put the block on Jethro Pugh...I am pretty sure Pugh said later (or Lilly?) that on 'the play' he could not get traction b/c he was essentially down in his stance on ice. We have all seen the footage and Boys' looked like bulls stomping their feet before the snap trying to break the ice and get footing.

Now, one other consideration...receivers know where they are going...DBs can slip or loose a step. Aaron cud exploit...but so can Kap. What seems like an easy Under bet may not be so. I cannot bet Over b/c it will be so brutal....my thinking @ least.

could not get the weather off mind...wanting to know if there is a 'common thread' in 10 coldest games. May not finish project ( got lazy ), but looked @ box scores of following games and found something initially....fumbles ( not fumbles lost, but fumbles) and report on sacks also.

I have added Rush Yards to the review.....they will be posted with visitor's first/home second.

Looks like the winner of game out rushed the loser in 6 of 10 games. But, in the 4 games where the winner was out rushed it was by margin of 12, 35, 10 & 9 yards.

I ** the games where losing rushing team won game

12-31-67 Boys v Packers= 6 fumbles, 9 sacks; 92 yds, 80 yds** [ 12 yd dif ]

12-26-93 Raiders v Packers= 6 fumbles, 11 sacks; 46 yds, 148 yds

1-15-94 Raiders v Bills=5 fumbles, 5 sacks; 110 yds, 75 yds** [ 35 yd dif ]

1-21-08 Giants v Packers=6 fumbles, 2 sacks; 134 yds, 28 yds

[ if there is a prop bet for fumbling something to consider] still looking

went ahead & finished looking, here what I found:

12-22-90 Lions v Packers= 5 fumbles, 1 sack; 168 yds, 80 yds

12-10-72 Packers v Vikes= 7 fumbles, 7 sacks; 214 yds, 54 yds

12-3-72 Bears v Vikes= 7 fumbles, 3 sacks; 90 yds, 80 yds** [ 10 yd dif ]

1-4-81 Raiders v Browns= 8 fumbles, 4 sacks; 76 yds, 85 yds** [9 yd dif ]

1-7-96 Colts v Chiefs= 5 fumbles, 2 sacks; 147 yds, 129 yds

1-10-82 Chargers v Bengals= 7 fumbles, 2 sacks; 128 yds, 143 yds

Passing Yards:

Looked @ this also, the winner of the games had:

More Passing Yards = 4 times

Less Passing Yards = 4 times

Roughly Equal = 2 times [ difference of 2 & 10 yds in '93 Raiders v Packers and Chargers v Bengals respectively ]

Last edited:
Back