Say it ain't so JR....

nbafan88

Pretty much a regular
@WojYahooNBA: The NBA is suspending Knicks guard J,R. Smith for violating the league's substance abuse policy, sources tell Yahoo Sports

New York Knicks guard J.R. Smith – the NBA's reigning Sixth Man of the Year – has been suspended five games for a violation of the league's substance abuse policy, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
The NBA formally announced the suspension Friday afternoon.
Smith tested positive for marijuana, a source with direct knowledge of the result told Yahoo Sports.
Smith declined comment through the National Basketball Players Association.
"There is a collectively-bargained process in place, established by the NBA and the Players Association, and until that process has played itself out, it would be inappropriate for the NBPA or J.R. to make further statements about the matter," Ron Klempner, the union's acting executive director, said in a statement. "We all look forward to a resolution in due course."
Smith signed a three-year, $18 million contract extension in July, and soon thereafter underwent knee surgery that threatens to cost him part of the Knicks' season.
Smith, 27, averaged a career-best 18.1 points a game for the Knicks last season. The lingering knee issues appeared to affect his play in the postseason, especially in the Eastern Conference semifinal loss to the Indiana Pacers. Smith shot only 29 percent in the six-game series defeat to Indiana.
Smith's career has been checkered with issues, including a 90-day prison stay for causing an accident that killed a passenger in his car in 2007. The NBA suspended Smith seven games in 2009 for his role in the crash.
Smith has also had several other suspensions, including one for his part in a 2006 Denver Nuggets-New York Knicks brawl (10 games) and a 2007 nightclub incident (three games).

Nba players can get suspended for weed? Seems like there'd be more suspensions

It’s the risk the Knicks were willing to take when they went all in on J.R. Smith.
Smith will be suspended by the NBA for five games for violating the league’s Anti-Drug Program, the league announced Friday. Smith tested positive for marijuana, according to a source.
The suspension is without pay and starts only when he is fit to play, though it’s unclear who would make that determination. Smith is rehabbing from mid-July knee surgery and may not be ready for the season opener on Oct. 30, based on his timetable of 12-to-16 weeks.
Smith signed a three-year, $18 million free-agent contract this offseason — with an opt-out after Year 2. The mercurial swingman often has been linked with late-night carousing and was called out by pop star Rihanna for going out too much during his woeful playoff slump in the spring. She tweeted Smith was “hungover from clubbing every night’’ before taking down the post.
According to the NBA’s drug policy, a player usually is not suspended until he fails three tests for marijuana. The drug program is so ironclad that teams aren’t informed if a player fails a drug test unless it results in a suspension.
Marijuana is not classified as a “drug of abuse’’ in the policy. Violations with drugs of abuse result in suspensions of two years.
The NBA’s marijuana policy reads: “If a player tests positive for marijuana, or if he is convicted of, or pleads guilty to, the use or possession of marijuana, he will be required to submit to treatment, counseling, and aftercare testing in the program. A second violation will result in a $25,000 fine, and any subsequent violations will result in a suspension that is 5 games longer than the player’s immediately-preceding marijuana suspension.”
Players are subject to four random tests during the NBA season and also two random tests each offseason, the policy states.
Smith is coming off his career season in which he scored 18.1 points per game and won Sixth Man Award, but his off-the-court baggage prevented him from getting a whopping offer in free agency. The Knicks gave him the maximum yearly salary they could under the early-Bird rights rules, but Smith nixed going the full four years so he can be re-enter free agency sooner. Smith stands to lose $252,000 in salary during the suspension.
Knicks GM Glen Grunwald declined comment.
It’s been a wild offseason for Smith, who postponed his surgery until July, though it appeared clear he needed one to repair a chipped patella tendon and torn meniscus that hampered him during the Knicks’ second-round series against the Pacers. He was suspended for one playoff game for elbowing Jason Terry of the Celtics in the first round.
Smith took some heat for showing up to an offseason event with blond hair, then admitted coach Mike Woodson made him dye it back. He was also linked to driving a $450,000 armored truck to a Manhattan restaurant last month. But he denied it to The Post last week, saying he was driving a Bentley and the armored truck was his friend’s vehicle.
During a golf charity event last Saturday, Smith said he was “100 percent sure’’ the Knicks would bring home a title. He also said there’d be “consequences” for Paul Pierce’s bold remarks about the Nets taking over the city.
During a question-and-answer session with youth golfers, Smith was asked whether he regretted jumping to the pros out of high school, rather than attending North Carolina.
Smith answered, “I missed the college experience. I grew up a little too fast. Technically, I was a man at 17. There were different situations that had I gone to college, I would have known what to do. But at age 17, I was doing what I wanted to do – playing against NBA guys.’’

The suspension really doesnt matter since he wont be ready for the opener anyway.... so they could just bring him back 5 games before they think he's ready and voila

It says right in the article it's 4 random tests during the season and 2 random tests during the summer

That's beyond crazy if you ask me...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/chris-smith-has-his-brother-j-r--smith-s-face-tattooed-on-his-back--photo--191744494.html

Hey there, BDL readers. Do you love your siblings? WAIT! Before you answer that, let me ask you a second, more pertinent question: Do you love your siblings enough to get their faces tattooed on your back?
If (like me) your answer is "No, I don't," then you (like me) differ from Chris Smith, the younger brother ofNew York Knicks shooting guard J.R. Smith. He definitely loves J.R. enough to put ink to skin, and if you don't believe him, he will gladly show you:

The younger Smith shared the photo on Instagram on the occasion of Big Bro's 28th birthday, which we're confident J.R. is celebrating responsibly. Here's the note Chris offered up alongside photographic evidence of his brotherly love:
Happy Birthday to my big Brother @teamswish always got my back no matter what facts say what you want I Love my big bro!!! And we gone turn up life is to short #teamswish #the40boiz .... Always got my back​
Well, he will definitely always have your back now. Barring, y'know, a freak acid accident or something.
The Knicks invited Chris Smith to Summer League after he went undrafted out of Louisville in the 2012 draft, then later signed him and brought him to training camp. The 6-foot-2 point guard soon suffered a left knee injury, though, and the Knicks waived him after he underwent surgery on his patella tendon. He caught back on with the Knicks' Las Vegas squad this summer, and will reportedly get another look-see at New York's upcoming training camp despite not doing much to distinguish himself during his stay in Sin City. (It's nice to have Big Brother watching your back, isn't it?)
Chris isn't the first person to get a family member's image tattooed on his body, though such tributes often tend to be reserved more for late family members than still-living ones, and while the commemoration might seem a bit to extreme to some of us, it's worth remembering that J.R.'s kind of into tattoos and, as such, may view this as an especially touching display of genuine familial affection. Still, I can't fight the feeling that Chris overshot here — if nothing else, a tattoo's going to be a pretty hard present to top come next Sept. 9. You've got 365 days of brainstorming ahead of you, Chris — better get to work.

Back