Cin: Porter
Tex: Blaser
Mil: Hoye
KC: Fairchild
StL: Bill Welke
Arz: Tichenor
LAA: Timmons
SF: Randazzo

Dickey with his knuckleball would be more effective with it open, basically speaking. There are others who know more of these stats than I (paging Shortline). But Dickey with a CLOSED roof would be in trouble today, night before with it being open and the stale air trapped inside. That hurt him a couple of times in April.

For what it's worth, I was also at Dickey's start against Baltimore two weeks ago. Roof was open. Cruised through the first 5 before getting shelled.

Here's what I came up with...

April 2 Cleveland Closed 6.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 BB, 4 K, 1 HR
April 7 Boston Closed 4.2 IP, 10 H, 8 R, 2 BB, 5 K, 2 HR
April 18 Chicago White Sox Closed 6.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K, 0 HR
May 14 San Francisco Closed 6.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 10 K, 1 HR

May 4 Seattle Open 6.0 IP, 6 H, 7 R, 2 BB, 5 K, 3 HR
May 20 Tampa Bay Open 8.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 4 BB, 5 K, 0 HR
May 25 Baltimore Open 6.2 IP, 9 H, 6 R, 3 BB, 4 K, 2 HR
June 21 Baltimore Open 6.0 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 2 BB, 5 K, 3 HR
July 1 Detroit Open 7.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HR

As for run support...

Closed (14: 1, 0, 3, 10), Open (28: 1, 7, 5, 7, 8)

I guess it would be more important for the Jays offense to have the roof open more than anything else (although Dickey's HR numbers do seem to spike with the roof open, although that may coincide with the warmer weather as well.)

And for what it's worth (which probably isn't much), Pelfrey has a 5.88 ERA and 1.55 WHIP in 41.1 IP indoors.

def agree dickey better off with roof open but i heard somewhere (and maybe you guys can back this up or tell me it bs) that the way that place in constructed the wind doesnt really effect things at field level? obviously balls hit in the air jump but that further up than ground lever. reason im curious about this is i tend to like a knuckler more when there is a wind blowing out as always heard throwing against the wind makes the ball dance more, and from what ive been told i really shouldnt expect the same help for the knuckle in tor cause the walls limit wind at field level..

def agree dickey better off with roof open but i heard somewhere (and maybe you guys can back this up or tell me it bs) that the way that place in constructed the wind doesnt really effect things at field level? obviously balls hit in the air jump but that further up than ground lever. reason im curious about this is i tend to like a knuckler more when there is a wind blowing out as always heard throwing against the wind makes the ball dance more, and from what ive been told i really shouldnt expect the same help for the knuckle in tor cause the walls limit wind at field level..

Speaking as someone who sits in the 20th row, there isn't MUCH wind at field level. You get the occasional breeze but that's about it.

Dickey's a little different though in that he throws his knuckler at a much higher velocity; in other words, I don't think he's near as dependent on the wind as someone like Wakefield was. With Wakefield, if you had that cross wind, you never knew where the ball was going once it caught the wind near home plate, hence all the wild pitches and passed balls; on the other hand, Dickey only has the 4 wild pitches this season.

I do think I read somewhere where Dickey said the wind blowing out was his worst enemy. I'll try to see if I can find the article.

Dickey's a little different though in that he throws his knuckler at a much higher velocity; in other words, I don't think he's near as dependent on the wind as someone like Wakefield was. With Wakefield, if you had that cross wind, you never knew where the ball was going once it caught the wind near home plate, hence all the wild pitches and passed balls; on the other hand, Dickey only has the 4 wild pitches this season.

I do think I read somewhere where Dickey said the wind blowing out was his worst enemy. I'll try to see if I can find the article.

That's because Thole catches for him. With Arencibia you'd be able to triple those numbers.

wind blowing in is bad; wind blowing out is usually okay for knuckleballers. I remember last year with the Mets he won every time the wind blew out and some of his few poor outings came when it blew in, regardless of venue.

i know there been 2 occasions this yr with him on the road with a wind blowing out where his knuckle was really dancing, ive heard him say a lot of things and not sure he knows wtf he talking bout even tho it is his pitch, lol..

RA_compare.gif

wind blowing in is bad; wind blowing out is usually okay for knuckleballers. I remember last year with the Mets he won every time the wind blew out and some of his few poor outings came when it blew in, regardless of venue.

yea i recall few this yr, one in sf, one maybe in tex with the wind blowing out where the thing was dancing quite impressively..that why i ask about the way tor stadium set up as i was told i shouldnt expect the wind blowing out there to help as much as i would at other stadiums as the wind isnt very drastic at field level..

Speaking as someone who sits in the 20th row, there isn't MUCH wind at field level. You get the occasional breeze but that's about it.

yea that what i been told, never realized this. def changes the way i cap him in tor as i tend to give him a lot more credit when wind is blowing out..

Dickey said he wasn't healthy early in the year and couldn't throw his knuckler as hard as he wanted. Ever since he's been feeling better, he's been much more effective. Coincidence? I think not

Dickey said he wasn't healthy early in the year and couldn't throw his knuckler as hard as he wanted. Ever since he's been feeling better, he's been much more effective. Coincidence? I think not

he hasnt really been consistently effective,guess he only feels good every other start..

Bautista has raised his batting average 16 points during a four-game stretch beginning this past Saturday, when he started wearing Toronto Blue Jays teammate R.A. Dickey's pants during games.

Since changing his wardrobe, Bautista is batting .615 (8-for-13) with three home runs and five RBIs. The three-time All-Star acknowledged Monday, after going 1-for-2 in a victory over the Detroit Tigers, that he would continue wearing Dickey's pants.

"Dickey's pants until further notice," Bautista told reporters.

Bautista, who had slumped throughout June, decided Saturday to switch from his customary low pants to a more old-fashioned high-socks look. The slugger realized that the only pair of pants that fit him belonged to Dickey, the Blue Jays' knuckleballing starting pitcher.

"It's the only ones that fit me that were short," Bautista said Saturday after blasting two home runs in a victory over the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park.

Bautista entered Saturday's contest with a .182 batting average during June.

But thanks to his four-game outburst while wearing Dickey's pants, Bautista owns a .261 batting average for the season with 19 homers and 50 RBIs entering Wednesday's game against Detroit.

Bill Welke just tossed Redman out of the game after a horrible call at the plate on Echeverria, who clearly beat the throw AND the tag to the plate.

Back