Saturday's CFB...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
Well, I brought it up in Friday's thread but I can bitch more if I want. Not sure how I lost that total in the Miami game Thursday, and what made it hurt more is that I dipped back in at halftime for some more.

Also, this is the first week I was able to take some time in the middle of the week to check out some stuff that's been posted from the Sunday coffee and line discussion up through dozens of picks and discussions (South Carolina/LSU? wow, what a thread)... Wow. Great stuff. Got me thinkin...

From the time I got sick of the Covers nonsense and went to work for Ken at PPP, then with Mark (BuryTheBook) and now Fonds and the gang here ... I can honestly say it took from the end of the 2003 season until now - three-and-a-half years - but this football forum has finally turned into what I (and all of our partnership and mod team, and most members)
envisioned since 2003 ... THE BEST place to discuss college football and investing in college football on all of the Web!

OK, mushy shit out of the way, let's get to the card. Traditionally, this weekend is one of my best of the year. One of the last ones where my ratings are well ahead of those who make the opening numbers. They start to tighten a bit from here on out - and in another week or two, the numbers will be awfully difficult and it will be a lot of situations, sandwiches, etc., that dictate who gets the cash from then until the bowls.

Syracuse is abysmal. I have the feeling this could be the week U of L opens up a can of whoopass on someone, but they ain't got the money yet, and I'm not trying to break the trend until Kragthorpe gets the ship righted there. Off a loss, tough to figure whether it takes U of L awhile to rebound or not. Pass.

Illinois is off to a good start and equaled their wins in the first two years of the Zooker Era but now they're gonna start making the Illini favorites on the road? Indiana has a QB that has helped the Hoosiers get to the top of the Big 10 in rushing offense (WHAT? lol) and I don't think Illinois is going to have an answer for him. They did slow down Mizzou in the second half (Mizzou has slowed itself down three times in the 2nd half though) but Daniel is no kind of mobile quarterback like Lewis is. This game is in Bloomington and I expect one of the best IU crowds in recent years, as these Hoosiers are 3-0 and sniffing bowl eligibility. There's no way that this game shouldn't be on ESPN over one of these other snoozers, and more importantly, there's no way Illinois can be the favorite. Take the
points and all the ML fun you want. Hoosier defense is opportunistic and Juice is still a mistake waiting to happen back there. IU's pass rush is greatly improved (17 sacks in three games) and Illinois is 2-18 SU in true roadies since 2003.

The play: Indiana ML and plus 3 for a big bet.

Dr. Bob fired away on Navy on the road Thursday - but I'm not convinced that's the right play. Sure, the Navy ran for 521 yards against Ball State and Duke has no firepower like that on offense... but QB Kaheaku-Enhada sprained both ankles last week and I don't see the motivation there to win by two touchdowns for the Navy. Not interested in laying it.

Hard to pick a side in Baylor/Buffalo battle. I like Morriss as a coach but the Bulls have played tougher foes to this point and that could pay off. Pass.

Look to Zipstar or one of the northeast Ohio cronies around here to give you insight to the Akron/Kent game. I made it a pick so taking points with the hosts seems appealing here. Carlton Jackson played well in Bloomington for the most part but Edelman is a dangerous dual threat QB, similar to the IU one that gave Akron fits last week.

Obviously, Boston College has to be considered as big of a surprise as any to start the season. Three wins, all in league play, have them poised to play for the league title in December. Big class drop to Army, but not as big as you might think, considering Army outplayed Wake last week. Pevoto might be out, which would make it tough to take Black Knights, but that defense has been very solid so far and is prolly a little underrated. I'll dip in if I can take 28, but nothing less.

Not sure what to make of Miami's game in Boulder this week. The RedCocks just got blasted at home by archrival Cincy and that's two tough losses in a row preceding a trip to altitude. With the offensive struggles of the Buffs, I can't try to lay it, but big injuries to Murphy and his backup, guys on the O-line, and a pair of backers, make it
difficult to take the points, as well.

Ball State has won two straight and should be brimming with confidence, now having won four straight road games. The last road loss was by a touchdown at unbeaten Michigan last November. That team was better than this Nebraska unit, so the Huskers better get up for this one in a hurry. I've noticed tons of newsletters and touts all over the favorite here. They assume that because Navy ran for 521 last week, that Nebraska can just ditch the chuck-and-duck and do the same thing Saturday. The early start time (11:30 am), the letdown after the USC loss, and some injuries to key players could open things up for Nate Davis and the Cardinal offense. I said I'd take four scores on Sunday and nothing has changed now.

The play: Ball State plus 23 for a medium bet.

Something tells me that Walters has been out dummying up BYU to slam into Air Force on Saturday. THat makes sense to me, as BYU has to eliminate turnovers (8 in the last 2 games) and penalties (25 last 2!) that sidetracked Cougars in losses at UCLA & Tulsa. Carney looks to be adjusting from option to Calhoun's shotgun without much trouble. Upstart Falcons have already beaten the two best teams in this league, and will be in MWC driver's seat with another upset... It might not happen but there's no reason they should be catching a dozen or so.

The play: Air Force plus 11.5 for a small bet.

Revenge for UCLA, which is certainly better than it showed last week? Or a rebound for Washington, which was stymied by great Ohio State defense? I was looking to take more than seven, so if this goes up into the two-score range look for me on the dog. But at 6 or so, it's a wait-and-see for possible (drunken) halftime possibilities (1015 Fox Sports Net
kick).

Solid Georgia secondary might be tested, as these sophomores ain't seen a passing game like Saban's J.P. Wilson-led one that has all kinds of playmakers that gave Arky fits last week. I like Georgia's toughness up front and they've had an extra week to take out some of the
sting of the South Carolina loss. This looks like it goes to the wire.

Florida seems to be a popular pick, and with their explosiveness and Ole Piss's lack of ability to contain an offense for more than one possession, I can't blame those interested in laying it. But even though the Gator speed can be devastating, they have also dropped seven in a row as a road favorite. I've been a part of three of those losses, and am not interested in a fourth. Pass.

I think I saw someone here say early in the week that Northwestern won't score at the Shoe on Saturday. If Tyrell Sutton doesn't play, then I'd be hard-pressed to argue with them considering the Wildcats just lost at home to Duke. At first glance this seems a little cheap but travel factors and the high number make it a no-bet for me. Will Bacher throw 50
times for no touchdowns again? Almost certainly not. And Fitzgerald was a player on the 1995 Northwestern team that lost in the pre-Big 10 season in a game it shouldn't, so he should not have a problem getting the Wildcats properly prepared for this one. Only home game in a five-week stretch for Ohio State? Pass.

Penn State looks to be a little better than Michigan this season but they haven't won against the Wolverines in more than a decade and I'm not going to try to buck this trend - not with the way PSU has lost in Ann Arbor the last two times. Wolves on the rebound after last week's resounding win? Do they ever play a road game? Pass.

Texas Tech laying less than a touchdown sure looks interesting. Okie State has been stricken with numerous injuries, having lost their rudder of a running back, a third-year center that's hurt, and benching a 20-game starter at quarterback. The Cowboys get an extra day to prepare for Tech, but this is the same team that trailed 41-10 at Troy State.

Meantime, Tech is 3-0 and hasn't been held to less than 45 points. Not convinced Tech will get off to a good start? Neither am I. The Raiders gave up 17 points on three consecutive Rice possessions, then turned around and got three turnovers and three three-and-outs in the next seven series. They gave up four straight touchdowns to UTEP in the first 20 minutes or so before putting on the clamps. Perhaps a second half play
is in order, as the Red Raiders have held their first three opponents to a total of 13 second-half points.

The play: Texas Tech -5.5 for a small bet (seen this team and their road follies before!)..

Notre Dame might be as bad as advertised, but I'm no big Michigan State fan and I sure don't understand how they can lay DD's in SOuth Bend against an Irish team that is purported to be "starting their season over" this week. Listen, it's been a rough go of it for Charlie Weis and gang lately, and I know ND is bad bad bad. But do you really think they won't come out fighting like a rabid dog on Saturday? If so, then you shouldn't be betting on college football. I missed the 13s that were out on Monday so I'm passing for now. But this line is obviously overadjusted on recent results.

Lean to Central Florida at anything less than seven at home against Memphis but the Tigers are off a virtual bye (I-AA), while UCF played a barnburner against Texas. Tough to see them coming with that emotion this week. Pass.

Don't know whether BC is that good or GT is overrated but I sure was wrong about the Jackets rolling last week. Didn't get to see much of that one... Virginia was able to really control the ball in a nice win in Chapel Hill. Can they duplicate the success against GT? Me thinks it will be tough for them to move it consistently but I really have my doubts about this Jacket offense at this point. Pass.

Colly State is the best winless team in America at this point, as they should have beaten Colorado and gave Cal all the Bears wanted the next week. This is a tough road trip, as Houston was competitive at Oregon and sleptwalked in New Orleans last week. The Cougars are my C-USA fave at this point and Dr. Bob also thought laying less than seven would be a good idea. No value in either side at this point for me; I made it 7.

Big move on Arizona Thursday afternoon. And while there are some decent factors working in the way of the dog, if DeSean Jackson is close to healthy, this could get ugly. Tedford won't likely forget the loss to UA from 2006 that kept them out of the Rose Bowl. With this being in Berkeley, all the Cal speed will be on display throughout and Bears should be able to contain Willie and UA offense that's struggling with turnovers. Still, Cal is 1-11-1 in its last 13 laying double digits. Pass.

Northern now goes to Moscow after tough loss at home to EMU in which turnovers did the Huskies in. Still, tough to envision the dogs losing to an Idaho unit that has had two former coaches "take it easy" on them a little in losses to USC and Wazzou. Good way for NIU to get off the shitter and into the win column after brutal losses to SIU and EMU. Expect a certain move on the dog Saturday...

The plays: NIU plus 3.5 (small) and ML (medium) each. Will likely hedge out of the ML play and scalp a small profit for a medium bet once this goes down to 2 or 1... and leave the plus 3.5 small as my only bet.

I like the effort I saw out of Temple last week - but I also liked that effort vs. Navy and I got bitch-slapped for betting them against Barfalo two weeks back. So I'll pass, especially considering this is a revenger for a BG team that Temple steamrolled last season for its only win in 27 games!

It's awfully tough to bet agianst West Virginia, but East Carolina's veteran front seven allowed only 153 rush yards in Greenville last season (WVU low in 2006) and should be able to at least hold its own against scoring-happy Mountaineers... Note that the pesky Pirates have covered 11 of their last 13 when catching points on the road.

The play: East Carolina plus 24.5 for a medium bet.

You guys know how to identify situations - even B.D. Killa, who is mostly refrained from betting these days... Here's the Gold Sheet word-for-word on this one...

"Toledo 31-30... With these squads off such disparate performances, inclined to take extra points with Toledo squad that's 6-1 as a home dog in Glass Bowl since 2002. Iowa State offense not exactly en fuego (13 ppg; settled for 5 FGs vs. Iowa), and transitioning Cylcones (under rookie HC Chizik) haven't covered as road chalk since 2001! Rocket offense
goes in with confidence after generating season-high 43 in OT loss at Ames LY. "

The play: Toledo plus 3.5 and ML for small bets each.

Not sure what to make of Carolina-at-South Florida game. Leaned dog at first but with Dr. Bob knocking the number down, there's now little value there. USF has had a week off after Aubbie win but they've got West Virginia coming in next week in a big revenger. Yates should help Butchie's boys keep this one close to the end if he can duck the turnovers that
USF likes to force. Pass for now.

Lean to Wake on Saturday but would like to hear TimH's thoughts. I also won't lay points with the Deacons, as Maryland has had extra prep time since the WV loss and WFU is an atrocious 4-21 in the last 25 ATS as a favorite!

Leaning to Clemson minus just a touchdown in Raleigh Saturday now that this line has dropped. Injuries are really decimating the Wolfpack and new Clemson QB Harper (8 touchdown passes last 2) are making teams respect the pass... it makes dangerous RB's Davis and Spiller only more lethal. Clemson has covered 3 straight at State, while Wolfpack now 1-8 ATS last 9 overall.

The play: Clemson minus 7 for a medium bet.

Not sure if line has caught up to enthusiastic Bearcats yet but not willing to beat them anymore to find out... Kitties have overwhelmed first three foes in 2007 by a combined 140-16! Marshall (just 2-15 ATS last 17 away from Huntington) next in line for a crushing, as the speedy Cincy defense already has forced 17 turnovers...

Lots talked about the UK/Arkansas game in some other threads. With Bob pushing it under a touchdown, I sure see some value in Arkansas. Why? Because, simply put, I'm not sure how good ANY of the first three teams Kentucky has handled at home are... Big step up in class here. Note Arky's first-game-off-an-SEC loss struggles, though, so I'll prolly pass.

Will be back later today with other thoughts but wanted to get to this one before anyone else bet on Purdue....

Joe Tiller and Minnesota's Tim Brewster were on the same Purdue
staff in 1986—more or less.

"I remember he was the 'enemy,' " Tiller recalled. "He was with the defense and I was with the offense. He was trying to learn about coaching and we were just trying to stay one step ahead of the posse."

Not sure what that means but I sure don't like laying meaningful points in conference games, especially with coaches who used to work together. Just something to chew on....

Good luck fellas! Back later with more thoughts...

:cheers:

First off I agree 100% about the forum. I've never had any interest in posting thoughts/plays on the other forum as it seemed that it was one big piss match to see who could get the most views. I receive so much info from this forum that it feels great to give back any info that I can on smaller leagues (MWC). The give and take is what makes this place awesome.

BYU/AFA
I have no play on this game, but my worry backing AFA would be that the turnovers from the last two games are no certainty here. Hall didn't turn the ball over at all against AZ in his first start and I'm sure he's going to be alot more comfortable at home this week. First year jitters have killed him so far on the road.

Agree with your thoughts on CSU. I wonder if they'll be able to come back from an 0-3 start to have a decent season though.

All in all great thread as usuall and best of luck this weekend Rex.

Man Rex, my asshole still hurts from that Miami Under, fuck I have been so pissed off about that game. There were 6 turnovers, an onside kick down 21 points with 7minutes left, a hail mary, all of which account for 20 points and the game goes over my 48.5 by a pube hair.

Some excellent thoughts here.

L-Ville - They can cover if they want to. Are they mentally up for this game or are they going to sleep walk since their biggest rival just crushed their BCS hopes. They still have the BE to play for.

I like Indiana, still considering the home dog myself.

I am on ECU myself.

Where do you sit on the LSU/SC game?

Great write ups rex....

What do you think of Uconn catching 10 @ Pitt? Wash St +25.5 @ USC and New Mex St +17 @ Auburn....

thanks bro and good luck

Fellas... going in order of rotation number... when I get time this afternoon I'll update all the other stuff (Later games where you guys wanted thoughts)...

Thanks for the feedback and I'll be around in a bit for more thoughts...

Thanks for the write-ups. Couple of things.....

I think that you said near the top that Navy is on the road, but they are at home against Duke.

Agree on almost all of these plays except for NIU. Simply don't think that they can keep up with all of their injuries.

GL this weekend CKR.

Great stuff Rex, always enjoy reading your threads. This is actually the first week where we are on the same side of a few without disagreeing on any, so I am sure that is definitely a good sign. I jumped on Indiana Sunday and Texas Tech Monday (got about 3 points value by jumping early), so good to see you on both of those as well. I also took Baylor early but lost a 1/2 point of value as the line went to 3 and I am stuck at 3.5 but oh well. Feel free to post your thoughts about the other 3 I have on my card, as I am always interested in good discussion, whether you agree or disagree. Best of luck this weekend!

Aubbie a very tough team to bet on or against now; just faced three very tough defenses and now faces the swiss of Mumme... but the QB questions make it difficult to lay it with them, especially with unorthodox Holbrook and Shallow Hal's system...

Possible overadjustments to UConn and Pitt have me off this one, which I circled as a big Pitt bet early in camp. The Panthers might still get the cash but I saw enough deficiencies last week in Lansing to leave it alone at anything more than seven.

No real thoughts in Athens, either. I like Wyoming's team but going from Boise to Ohio in seven days can't be easy - and Solich always seems to get the most out of his bunch...

Rice goes to Austin in an unwinnable game. They are sorry and Texas off a bunch of lacklustern performances but until something changes, I can't lay a ridiculous price with Tejas.

Southern Cal laying an extreme tariff against a Wazzou team that only lost to them 28-22 at home last year. I am going to take a long look at the dog here. USC wants to work on the passing offense, etc., but why bother after what they did on the ground last week? Expect a small letdown but Wazzou's defense is so porous that the only side that looks good is the OVER now that it's been bet down.

The play: Wazzou/USC OVER 63 for a medium bet

No opinion on South Carolina/LSU... as it's a 'go-with vs. go-with' ... but I am going to get involved on the UNDER... A Tropical system is making its way into Louisiana and there's supposed to be 100 percent chance of rain. SC is tough on defense... and LSU is as good as anyone - they both overmatch the offenses...

The play: UNDER 45.5 in Baton Rouge for a big bet

Hard to have an opinion when you have immovable force vs. irresistable object on both sides.... Iowa offense against Wisky defense = two of the worst in Big 10.... Wisky offense against Iowa defense = two of the best in the Big 10... I guess you are supposed to take the points but Iowa State is REALLY BAD... Pass...

I made Utah State the favorite but any value on them now is long gone. I do expect Billy to slam back into Jose tomorrow and put this back at 1 or 1.5 but I can't endorse either side.

Back after this halftime in a couple of hours to finish up...

Rex good suff as always, like your thoughts on Toledo and played them earlier both side and ML. Also have played FAU, as they have impressed me so far sans Okie St. game. Think NTexas can't run the ball at all and is terrible defensively. Looks cheap overall, and I like the relative strength of of the opponents FAU has played to date. Kyle asked me about MD and here are my thoughts that I replied to him.

Very tough game to play either way imo. Skinner is going to start for WF which gives them a lot better chance for a balanced offense because the other Qb is not much of a passer. Wake is very hard to defend running the veer and a lot of misdirection stuff. Last yr. they really took it to us at MD and executed their running game extremely well and their OL played a great game. MD is better defending the run this year, but lack the experience at QB. Terps have a good running game, and a lot of speed at WR but have not thrown the ball downfield very much at all so far. Ralph is being conservative with Steffy and the playcalling. This game will be dicatated by who controls the LOS and turnovers. Really a tough one to pick for me, and I'll just be on the side praying for a MD win.

I have some interest in Wyoming, Georgia and Oregon State tomorrow. Still trying to finish some capping and determine some other plays. BOL.

Great read, as usual. I was curious to see your thoughts on Toledo, glad to see you like the spot too. Good luck tomorrow man.

Thanks fellas....

TCU is really hurting without Brown and I like SMU's offense enough to trade blows with the Horned Toads here, especially since TCU has suddenly gone from unbeaten (?) to now no longer in control of its league destiny. Still, with SMU handing them their only loss in 2005, can't recommend trying to take even the three-plus touchdowns in a big revenger for the more talented team.

Purdue/Minny looks like a track meet but there is no longer value in betting Purdue OR the OVER.

Vegas is tough to figure out, having played much better of late. Utah was also impressive last week, and the Utes figure to get Johnson back. Need to see a half.

Oregon seems far too explosive for Stanford but could the impressive TREE win last weekend be a steppingstone for bigger things? Will sit.

Oregon State's loss at Cincy is hard for me to forgive, but since Sammy is now back and apparently all is well (?), I'm not going to lay the points... but Arizona State seems to be much stronger on both sides at this point. Their unwillingness to cover is the one thing keeping me off, and this will be the first team they've played that has any kind of (Pac-10) offense... so I pass it, too...

Shit games - Kansas is lambasting everyone but this line is awfully high.

U-La-La got steamrolled by a I-AA last week... Troy, meanwhile, beat up on Oklahoma State. I believe that the linesmakers have overadjusted their numbers here after those results. This will likely be an emotional downer for Troy, while I respect U-La-La coach Bustle too much to expect them to turn in another home shitter in a league game. Desormeaux threw four picks against McNeese last week but this team should be able to somewhat contain the spread offense and have a chance to win this one late.

The play: U-La-La plus 9 for a medium bet.

Lean to Arky State in a down spot for Tenny but Vols should come out plenty pissed and does have the talent to run this team off the field - at least on paper. But Injuns are quite balanced and have been scoring a lot. UT defense is troubled in spots (that's being nice, although it's seen 3 good offenses)... can't lay it because of trends pointing for 'dog' but not interested in the take because I made this game too close to the price it currently is. Pass...

GL today!

Disagree about no value with Purdue, Rex, but I'll probably end up regretting the play later. Good luck...

Good luck today Rexy. With you on Toledo and Indiana. Still cant figure that Hoosier line out. Whats the difference between them and Illinois? Just more hype IMO. Hope we hit

Good health on AF and Indiana.

GL on all the others Rex. Most of those were tough to find an advantage either way for me...
:shake:

LSU/ SC unda...watch out, I'm in BR and no real rain threat yet. only 50 % chance now. Just don't bank it all on the weather. May still be agood bet tho as I do not SC qb immobile Blake will have much of a chance.:smiley_acbe:

Ball State 2H plus 11.5 for a big bet. Friend who I really respect is watching the game and says that BSU is playing them dead dog even...

Think Big House last November... except.... (gasp) - Cards on the field????

Davis runs for a touchdown and the Cards take a 17-14 lead!!!

Thanks Jump. Enjoy the Heineken Light. What color bottles do they come in?

Cruz - Me too brother.

Fondy - I ain't talked to a family member in over a week and only a couple of friends in the last 2 or so... one's at the U of L game and I know he's sick by now.

It's UPSET SATURDAY.... Beware...

Back