Saturday Upset Pick Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
NBA Money Line Upset Alert: Bullish On The Bulls To Upset Raptors Saturday

So far this season, Toronto has shown some weaknesses, one of which is more glaring than the rest: defensive rebounding.

Currently, the Raptors rank second-to-last in defensive rebounding percentage. They’re one of two teams to average lower than 70 percent in the category.

In their last game against Boston, the Raptors lost despite converting their shot opportunities at a far superior rate. Boston only made 38.5 percent of its shots, but outscored Toronto by six points because it attempted 31 more shots largely thanks to amassing 21 offensive rebounds.

An interesting aspect about Boston’s success on the offensive glass is that offensive rebounding isn’t even thought of as a strength for it. Last year, the Celtics ranked 26th in offensive rebounding percentage. Since this current season is so young, they currently rank eighth in the category.

Chicago seems like one of the best candidates to exploit Toronto’s weakness as the Bulls rank second in offensive rebounding percentage.

A reason for Chicago’s prowess on the glass is the health of Wendell Carter. The former Blue Devil is a physical asset around the rim. Last year, he ranked among league leaders in contested rebound rate for a rookie.

While Carter is able to be physical in front of the basket where he also positions himself well, he also displays nice touch around the rim. Carter is comfortable attacking the rim in many ways and last year he rivaled Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons for field goal percentage within five feet of the basket.

Carter is enjoying a very promising start to this season, averaging 9.5 points and eight rebounds after two games.

But the same cannot be said for Carter’s counterpart on Toronto Marc Gasol. After two games, Gasol is shooting an abysmal 2-for-17 (11.8 percent) from the field. Gasol seems to be worn out from his offseason, which wasn’t really an offseason. He had an active summer participating in the FIBA world championship with his native Spain.

With a healthy Carter in superior form and with Chicago’s advantage on the offensive glass, the Bulls show a strong edge inside.

Like its front court, Toronto’s backcourt appears in less-than-optimal shape. In particular, shooting guard Fred VanVleet does not appear to be 100% thanks to a sore ankle that he developed by tripping over a cameraman.

VanVleet’s injured ankle explains his poor performance last night where he was 2-for-11 (18.2%) from the field. He lacked his usual quickness off the dribble. Chicago’s addition of Thaddeus Young, a top-ranking perimeter defender by efficiency rating, will further perplex VanVleet.

His lessened ability to contribute offensively hurts a Toronto team that, even with Kawhi Leonard, could stagnate offensively for periods of time. Without Leonard, Toronto is more pressed to find consistent generators of offense and a healthy VanVleet would be fundamental in serving that aim. The Toronto guard's reduced ability to accelerate and decelerate likely hurts him on defense as well.

Overall, Toronto’s backcourt will have its hands full on defense with the combo of Zach LaVine and Coby White. LaVine is already a proven scorer. Last year, he was the ninth-best scoring guard in points per game.

LaVine isn’t known for having one strength in particular. But he’s very much an all-around offensive talent. He’s quick to penetrate towards the basket and he shows range from deep. So far, he’s converting 41.7 percent of his three-pointers and he’s scored 16 and 37 points, respectively, in two games thus far.

Fellow Chicago guard Coby White is already displaying great promise in his rookie season. His energy sparked Chicago’s comeback last night in Memphis. He’s also known for his quickness and he makes things happen as fearlessly attacks the rim where he handles contact well and uses his finesse well. Inside and along the perimeter, White is a valuable playmaker.

Carter’s strong rim protection — he ranked ahead of Jimmy Butler last year in defensive rating — and shot-blocking creates opportunities for White to get out in transition which is where he made his bread and butter in college.

Best Bet: Bulls ML at +135 odds with Pinnacle and Bulls +3.5 at -110 odds with Pinnacle

Forgot to add: 8 p.m. ET tonight at United Arena (Chicago)

Filling in for someone. I was asked to pick my favorite upset candidate. I thought about Cleveland, but its defense stinks. Thought about the Suns, but in losing Ayton they lose what would have been a solid match-up advantage. Bulls seem like the clear choice. What do you think?

Forgot to add: 8 p.m. ET tonight at United Arena (Chicago)

Filling in for someone. I was asked to pick my favorite upset candidate. I thought about Cleveland, but its defense stinks. Thought about the Suns, but in losing Ayton they lose what would have been a solid match-up advantage. Bulls seem like the clear choice. What do you think?
Of those choices you made the correct choice. The Suns played their butts off last night to lose a close one in OT. Cleveland is going to be a hot mess for a bit. It is a tough adjustment to a Beilein system it seems. I like your pick, both off close games last night but the young home team can easily get it done..

As for the rest of the card, I either couldn‘t make much out of the game either way or it seemed like an obvious win for the fave (Spurs, Rockets) and Eminem line wasn‘t out

Back