Saturday Four Picks Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
2 Parlays July 15: Yankees In Store For A Shock

Milwaukee Brewers vs. Cincinnati Reds
Saturday, July 15, 2023 at 7:10 p.m. ET at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati, Ohio & Houston Astros vs. Los Angeles Angels Saturday, July 15, 2023 at 9:07 p.m. ET at Angel Stadium in Anaheim

• Freddy Peralta is almost unhittable in Cincinnati
  • Milwaukee matches up terribly against Andrew Abbott, as does Houston against Reid Detmers
  • Framber Valdez owns the Angels

Who Starts for Milwaukee?

Freddy Peralta starts for the Brewers.

Peralta's recent history against the Reds is strong.

Most recently having faced them last year, he's allowed one run in his last 7.2 innings against them.

This strong recent history is consistent with what he's done his entire career in Cincinnati.

In eight career appearances in the Reds' venue, he yields a .194 BA and .380 slugging rate.

Despite the ballpark being so hitter-friendly, his career ERA there is 3.34.

Peralta's Arsenal

Peralta throws a fastball, slider, curveball, and changeup.

He is known for inducing whiffs at a high rate.

His favorite pitch is his fastball, which is hard to hit given the extreme amount of spin that he puts on it.

But his best pitch for inducing whiffs is his slider, which he does a great job of locating.

Who Starts for the Reds?

Andrew Abbott starts for the Reds.

Abbott is a lefty who throws a fastball, curveball, changeup, and sweeper.

His favorite pitch to throw is his fastball.

This pitch yields a .216 BA and .392 slugging rate.

Abbott vs. Brewers Batters

Abbott's outlook tonight is solid because he matches up solidly against the Brewers.

They rank dead-last with a .356 slugging rate against his pitches from lefties.

Who Starts for Houston?

Framber Valdez starts for the Astros today.

Valdez is arguably having the best season of his career.

While his 2.51 ERA is certainly pretty, it does not fully express how consistent he's been.

He has yet to allow over four earned runs in a single start.

In 17 starts this year, he's allowed over three earned runs in two of them.

Valdez's Arsenal

Valdez is so hard to hit because his stuff and his command are excellent.

Regarding the former, he often throws a curveball that yields a .182 BA and a cutter that yields a .145 BA.

Both pitches have a lot of spin and create a strong change of pace relative to his sinker.

As for his command, he rarely allows walks or home runs.

Matchups

Valdez owns the Angels: he has allowed one run in 15 innings against them this year.

In his career. he boasts a 2.88 ERA in Anaheim.

The "under" will hit because Angels' starter Reid Detmers also matches up well against Houston's lineup.

Best Bet: Parlay Brewers/Reds under 10 at -120 & Astros/Angels under 8 at -110 at +250 odds with BetOnline

New York Yankees vs. Colorado Rockies
Saturday, July 15, 2023 at 8:10 p.m. ET at Coors Field in Denver & San Francisco Giants vs. Pittsburgh Pirates Saturday, July 15, 2023 at 7:05 p.m. ET at PNC Park in Pittsburgh

• The Yankees will miss Aaron Judge today
  • The Rockies and Giants are in the right location tonight
  • Johan Oviedo has been pitching poorly lately
Who Starts for the Yankees?

Clarke Schmidt starts for New York tonight.

Schmidt throws a sweeper, cutter, sinker, and curveball.

As heat maps show, all of these pitches suffer from bad location.

He has an awful tendency to leave them in the more middle parts of the strike zone where batters tend to do greater damage.

Schmidt vs. Rockies Batters

Schmidt's outlook is negative tonight because the Rockies rank 12th with a .413 slugging rate against his pitches from righties.

These numbers might not look good for the Rockies, but that's because they are deflated by their terrible play on the road.

At home, they slug .475 against his pitches from righties.

Compare this number with their .442 slugging rate overall at home.

It is evident from this comparison that they match up excellently against Schmidt -- given the pitches that he throws and given that he's a righty, he is just the pitcher they want to see.

Who Starts for the Rockies?

Chase Anderson starts for the Rockies tonight.

Anderson throws a nice mixture of pitches whose variety makes him less predictable for batters.

He likes to elevate his fastball, cutter, and sweeper, and he ably nibbles the borders of the strike zone with his sinker, changeup, and curveball.

Anderson's outlook tonight is solid because the Yankees rank 27th with a .365 slugging rate against his pitches from righties.

Who Starts for San Francisco?

Alex Cobb starts for the Giants tonight.

Cobb has been great for a while: his FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding) was under 2.30 in each of his last five starts.

He distinguishes himself through his excellent command.

In these last five starts, he's allowed zero home runs and walked all of three batters.

Cobb vs. Pirates Batters

Cobb throws a unique mixture of pitches: a sinker, split finger, curveball, and slider.

His outlook tonight is especially good because the Pirates slug .366 against his pitches from righties.

Who Starts for Pittsburgh?

Johan Oviedo starts for the Pirates tonight.

Oviedo has allowed a combined total of 13 earned runs in his past two starts.

Life won't get better for him against a road warrior Giants' team.

Away from home, they rank seventh with a .432 slugging rate against his pitches, the slider, fastball, curveball, sinker, and changeup, from righties.

Best Bet: Parlay Rockies RL at -110 & Giants ML at -145 at +223 odds with BetOnline

They kinda saved me yesterday making the total so high in cincy, had they lined it more where I expected I probably would have played the over and been super annoyed! Pretty much exact same total today, I lean under for sure but I don’t really trust Freddy p anymore, those cincy starts you mention been prior years when he was pitching much better than this season. The only think Freddy P has done consistently this year is give up runs, 2+ in practically every start, 3+ in 8 of last 10. Obviously him giving up 3 or even 4 still leaves a lot of work to get over 10. I def think Abbott will be better this start than he was in milw before the break. Think I prefer reds Ff or milw tt under just cause I don’t trust Freddy p.

Back