Saturday Four Picks Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
2 Parlays June 1: Rays and Cubs Favored for Good Reason

Tampa Bay Rays vs. Seattle Mariners
Saturday, July 1, 2023 at 7:15 p.m. ET at T-Mobile Park in Seattle & Cleveland Guardians vs. Chicago Cubs Saturday, July 1, 2023 at 7:15 p.m. ET at Wrigley Field in Chicago

• Tampa Bay's lineup will be a much tougher test for George Kirby than Seattle's. will be for Tyler Glasnow
  • Marcus Stroman is consistently solid
  • The Cubs' lineup will exploit Tanner Bibee's fly ball-inducing style

Who Starts for the Rays?

Tyler Glasnow starts for Tampa Bay tonight.

Glasnow's 4.45 ERA does not do him justice.

This statistic is inflated by a .328 BABIP (batting average of balls in play) which is much too high.

His BABIP is slated to drop in view of his ability to generate soft contact and to strike out batters.

In a similar vein, because he's only had six starts on the season, his ERA is unfairly distorted by a single bad start, which took place against Baltimore.

Seattle's Lineup

Glasnow's outlook is strong today because he matches up well against Seattle's lineup.

He throws three pitches, a fastball, slider, and curveball.

Seattle ranks tenth-to-last in slugging below .400 against these pitches from righties.

Who Starts for Seattle?

George Kirby starts for the Mariners tonight.

Kirby has dominated many weaker tests and tougher lineups in bad spots, with one example of the latter being a Cardinals team that tends to fall flat after achieving a strong scoring output.

Conversely, Kirby has struggled against greater challenges, such as the Angels.

Like the Angels, Tampa Bay matches up well against Kirby.

The Rays rank first in slugging .482 against Kirby's favorite pitches from righties.

Who Starts for the Guardians?

Tanner Bibee starts for Cleveland today.

There are two versions of Bibee: the one who starts at home and the one who starts away from the Guardian faithful.

At home, Bibee yields a 2.38 ERA, and Cleveland is 4-2 with +1.1 units in his home starts.

Outside of Cleveland, Bibee yields a 5.68 ERA, and Cleveland is 1-4 with -3 units in his road starts.

Who Starts for Chicago?

Marcus Stroman starts for the Cubs today.

In games played outside of extremely hitters-friendly London, Stroman has two earned runs or fewer in seven straight games.

He even held the Rays to a single hit in nine innings.

Matchups

Bibee is a strong fly ball-inducing pitcher.

This is problematic for him today because the Cubs' OPS (on-base plus slugging) is .95 higher against fly ball-inducing pitchers than against ground ball-inducing ones.

Conversely, Cleveland matches up poorly against Stroman, who induces ground balls at a uniquely high rate.

Cleveland slugs an atrocious .327 against ground ball-inducing pitchers.

Best Bet: Rays ML at -116 & Cubs ML at -137 at +222 odds with BetOnline

San Francisco Giants vs. New York Mets
Saturday, July 1, 2023 at 4:10 p.m. ET at Citi Field in Queens, New York & Arizona Diamondbacks vs. Los Angeles Angels Saturday, July 1, 2023 at 10:07 p.m. ET at Angel Stadium in Anaheim

• Justin Verlander is very reliable at home
  • Anthony DeSclafani matches up well against the Mets
  • The total seems absurdly high in Anaheim

Who Starts for the Mets?

Justin Verlander starts for New York today.

Verlander is a strong "under" pitcher.

The "under" has hit in seven of his ten starts so far.

But the "under" hits at an even higher rate in his home starts: in these starts, the "under" is 4-1.

Verlander's stronger tendency to thrive at home explains this latter trend: whereas his ERA is 5.67 on the road, his home ERA is 2.70.

He succeeds at home even against teams that match up well with him on paper, such as Toronto.

Verlander's Pitching Arsenal

There is a lot to like about Verlander's repertoire.

His fastball has an extreme amount of spin, which makes it difficult for batters to track its location.

He likes to elevate this pitch, giving it the appearance of rising action that induces batters to swing underneath it.

With his other pitches, especially his slider and curveball, he keeps hitters off-balance by utilizing their strong velocity differential relative to his fastball.

In addition to using these other pitches to create a strong change of pace relative to his fastball, he uses them to change the batter's eye level.

Whereas he likes to elevate his fastball, he gladly buries his slider and curveball.

Who Starts for San Francisco?

Anthony DeSclafani starts for the Giants today.

DeSclafani throws a slider, sinker, fastball, changeup, and curveball.

With these pitches, he matches up well against a Mets lineup that is below-average in slugging .407 against these pitches from righties.

Who Starts for the Diamondbacks?

Ryne Nelson starts for Arizona tonight.

Outside of hitters-friendly Coors Field, Nelson has been superb on the road, where his ERA is 3.07.

Despite facing tough matchups, he has not allowed more than three earned runs in any other road start.

Who Starts for the Angels?

Tyler Anderson starts for L.A. today.

The fact that Anderson has yielded an FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding) below 3.50 in five of his last six starts shows that he is performing very well individually.

He places good spin on his favorite pitch to throw, his fastball, and nibbles especially with his change-up, which is his second-favorite pitch to throw.

In doing these things, he induces a lot of soft contact.

The Total

The total for this game is drastically too high, in view of the venue and each pitcher's ability to keep even tough matchups in check.

Best Bet: Parlay Giants/Mets under 8.5 at -105 & Diamondbacks/Angels under 10 at -115 at +265 odds with BetOnline

The only issue I have with comparing laa/tampa far as matchup for Kirby is I think laa has the benefit of having seen him quite a bit during his short time in the league. Makes sense a team of veteran pro hitters would fare better after getting a few good looks at a talented young kid after getting a good idea how he gonna try to attack them, now the onus will be on him to make the next adjustment vs laa.

I certainly don’t agree w the thinking Kirby can only dominate lessor opponents, without looking up his history I’m sure I’ve seen him take apart yanks w judge, he has had a good start or 2 vs houston, I’m sure there are others. Of course None this means rays will struggle or not. Probably the bigger factor for me would be Glastnow should piss in Seattle garbage offense! Then again I thought McClanahan would do the same but pretty sure he came into that game hurt and could not locate his fastball.

The only issue I have with comparing laa/tampa far as matchup for Kirby is I think laa has the benefit of having seen him quite a bit during his short time in the league. Makes sense a team of veteran pro hitters would fare better after getting a few good looks at a talented young kid after getting a good idea how he gonna try to attack them, now the onus will be on him to make the next adjustment vs laa.

I certainly don’t agree w the thinking Kirby can only dominate lessor opponents, without looking up his history I’m sure I’ve seen him take apart yanks w judge, he has had a good start or 2 vs houston, I’m sure there are others. Of course None this means rays will struggle or not. Probably the bigger factor for me would be Glastnow should piss in Seattle garbage offense! Then again I thought McClanahan would do the same but pretty sure he came into that game hurt and could not locate his fastball.
I did not say only

I did not say only

Oh Jfc, let’s make sure it comes out more exact. “I don’t think it matters that Kirby has excelled against MOSTLY weaker teams or teams in tough spots”!! . Thank goodness we got that straightened out!! I hope you feel as vindicated as I do liberated, until that was caught I dunno if I’d ever been able to carry on a healthy relationship !!!!!

Can you tell I’m bored!! I can’t believe the power still out. 43 other ppl are effected! In other words I’m totally fucked as they in no hurry or care bout us!! Power been out for 13 hours or some shit, like we had a natural disaster or sone crap,, this dumb .

Can you tell I’m bored!! I can’t believe the power still out. 43 other ppl are effected! In other words I’m totally fucked as they in no hurry or care bout us!! Power been out for 13 hours or some shit, like we had a natural disaster or sone crap,, this dumb .
How bad was the weather last night?

How bad was the weather last night?

I dunno I’ve seen worse but it was incredibly strange for sure and there were some pretty bad storms around. When it 1st started to drizzle a little I got out at gas station and something wsx almost burning my legs, I was like what the fuck am i feeling?!!? It was fucking steam coming off the asphalt!!! Then I get home and it starts raining little harder, I open door and it still felt like a damn oven!! Next thing ya know it is hammering down w thunder, rain, hail. 2 houses up from me the tree in their front yard got hit by lightening and split that bitch In half, that was loud, not 2 min later heard what had to be a transformer getting hit and everyone power went out!! 10 min later the rain was basically over, temp dropped like 30 degrees. I went over to friend of mine who’s power wasn’t out but his internet was. He lives 4-5 min away but it took 45 min cause all the lights were out down Telegraph so that was nightmare.

I still thought cards were gonna play cause it was done by 7:30. I don’t think it rained much more at all, stupid call not to play. At the time I had no freaking clue we would still be without power, longest I ever have been. Fucking sucks.

I dunno I’ve seen worse but it was incredibly strange for sure and there were some pretty bad storms around. When it 1st started to drizzle a little I got out at gas station and something wsx almost burning my legs, I was like what the fuck am i feeling?!!? It was fucking steam coming off the asphalt!!! Then I get home and it starts raining little harder, I open door and it still felt like a damn oven!! Next thing ya know it is hammering down w thunder, rain, hail. 2 houses up from me the tree in their front yard got hit by lightening and split that bitch In half, that was loud, not 2 min later heard what had to be a transformer getting hit and everyone power went out!! 10 min later the rain was basically over, temp dropped like 30 degrees. I went over to friend of mine who’s power wasn’t out but his internet was. He lives 4-5 min away but it took 45 min cause all the lights were out down Telegraph so that was nightmare.

I still thought cards were gonna play cause it was done by 7:30. I don’t think it rained much more at all, stupid call not to play. At the time I had no freaking clue we would still be without power, longest I ever have been. Fucking sucks.
I have no internet and the weather isn’t even bad. Makes no sense

Back