Saturday College FootBall

bloodhound

Sniffing out wins
Saturday College FootBall
Navy* -6 -120
vs Army 240/200 ....I always have second thoughts about even wagering on this game as imo this match-up represents everything that’s good about college football But then I am 'old school' and see thing differently than most of the younger crew....but I am also a gambler, so...
Navy is on a 10-0 SU streak against Army, covering the spread in 7 out of the 10 games. 1st time since 2005, both teams have beaten Air Force, which means that their annual regular season finale will determine the winner of the Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy. And this is a Big deal to these young men. Army always ranks highly in time of possession and this season is no different #14 in minutes possessing the football. But when you look at the other leaders and see that New Mexico and Rice are #1 and #2, you realize that Time of Possession is less meaningful than what an offense actually accomplishes during that time. Army’s Offensive and Defensive Total Yards this season are: 4,817-4,831. Very close, right? But at 32:17 to 27:43 in possession time, Army’s offense gains only 13.5 yards per minute of possession while the defense allowed 15.8 yards per minute. If, in our nation’s military history, our line of defense had allowed the enemy to encroach 2.5 yards against it for every yard we advanced, we’d all be sipping tea, bowing down to some stupid king, and beating each other up in soccer stadiums. However Army’s best defensive performance of the season came against their buddies at the Air Force, whose flexbone offense is similar to the triple-option that Navy and Army employ. Air Force gained only 4.7 yards per play that afternoon, only 80% of their season’s average of 5.84 yards per play. Navy’s season average of 5.88 yards per play is almost exactly what Air Force averaged.Army installed the option bout four years ago so the program could be more like Navy, and perhaps one day run it better than Navy so they might one day beat Navy again. But not today! Both teams run more than 80% of the time, but the other 20% is where Army still lags behind, with Steelman’s TD-INT a mere 1-2. Army also has that “friendly fire” problem with fumbles. Historically there’s no size disparity in a match between service academy squads, but Navy is conspicuously beefier than the smaller Cadets whose starting Defensive front 7 clocks in at only 220 pounds. Army QB Steelman is far more experienced than Navy counterpart Reynolds, but young Reynolds, fresh out of high school, has been a difference maker for Navy and he will be at his best with the extra practices to smooth out the rough edges.
I like NAVY 28-17.
small play on Navy/Army* Under 57 -130 130/100

GLTA

wise...i capped it @ Old Dominion* +3 to many pts for me to play the Over but sure looks like Over

GL

Nice writeup on Army/Navy Blood and agree with you that this game is really represenative of the good things in CFB. With you on Navy today, as I just think Army defense will have their hands full trying to stop this Navy attack with all their tackling deficiencies we have seen all year. They are a very smallish front 7 too as you pointed out. GL

Thoughts on Wofford/NDST today? Looks like a lot of points for what should be a low scoring grind it out game.

Tim...I really like NDSU here but just can lay the pts . i think it is more like a ten pt game.
And i agree with the Under... with NDSU's defense stats leading the FCS in most stats, it looks like maybe an Under to me.
I played Wofford/North Dakota State* Under 41 -130 earlier and like it to 38

GL my friend

Thanks for your thoughts, I may take a crack at Wofford +14.5 and hope they can hang 14 which may be good enough to cover.

I played Wofford/North Dakota State* Under 20 -110 for 1st Half 55/50....pt will be @ a premium I think
and
Wofford* +9 -110 vs North Dakota State for 1st Half 55/50

Saw you on Navy and Under and I felt better on the pick. Honestly, I think Navy wins by 14 easily. GL buddy

I'm a little biased too. One of my son's good highschool team mates plays for Navy now. Might see some playing time. His name is Zack Leniwski. OL

I know I am hardheaded, set in my ways and sometimes off in left field waiting for a kickoff when I should be on the goal line but the more I look at this Navy matchup, the more I like it
adding

parlay
Navy* -6 -130 vs Army
Navy/Army* Under 61 -210
100 wins 161

Cash...I played Eastern Washington* - 5 -115 vs Illinois State 55/50 yesterday and now its 7...I would not play it over 7. IlliSt is luck to be here and EastWash plays very well @home but I think it a one td game. EW has the FCS' ninth-ranked passing offense with 301 yards and Illinois St passing defense ranks ninth in the FCS in passing efficiency with a 105 rating. I certainly dont believe this is one to load up on but I like EW small

GL my friend

Well kudos to Army, they did a great job on the edge today defensively which I quite frankly didn't expect. I really thought they outplayed them overall and probably could have and should have won the game. I did really feel badly for Steelman at the end of the game, thought he played his butt off and had them in position to win it at the end. Like you said earlier, this gm is all that's good about college football so even though I lost I still feel good about watching the gm and I enjoyed it. I thought Navy might try and throw a little bit more in this game and they didn't really do it. Army really tried to take away the edge all day and make Navy run the FB dive exclusively. Nice gm plan defensively for the Army, and I thought they did a great job moving the ball offensively all day but Navy rose up and made plays in the red zone. Great job by all those young men.

Cash...I played Eastern Washington* - 5 -115 vs Illinois State 55/50 yesterday and now its 7...I would not play it over 7. IlliSt is luck to be here and EastWash plays very well @home but I think it a one td game. EW has the FCS' ninth-ranked passing offense with 301 yards and Illinois St passing defense ranks ninth in the FCS in passing efficiency with a 105 rating. I certainly dont believe this is one to load up on but I like EW small

GL my friend

THANK YOU!!!!

Back