Saturday 7PM EST: Hawaii at Louisiana Tech....

Hawaiiguy

Big Kahuna
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Notes:

For my purposes only…..if this helps you cap the game by either riding or fading me, great.

<O></O>
Non lined Northern Colorado game, not much could be gathered from that game. Watching Hawaii’s Green –White intrasquad scrimmage would be more competitive and exciting.

Brennan and the First Team came out and scored 42 by the half. Brennan looked perfect going 34-40 (2 drops) for 416 yards and 6 TDs.<O></O>

The first team defense didn’t let <ST1>Northern Colorado</ST1> get past their own 40 yard line.
<O></O><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:state><ST1></ST1></st1:state>
<st1:state>Hawaii </st1:state>demonstrated their depth and team speed when backup receivers returned a 80 yard punt and our stud 4.3 40 Florida Sophomore wideout blazed a 100 yard kickoff return in response to NC’s only score.<O></O>

Impressive? Not at all. Don’t be fooled, Northern Colorado played 44 Freshmen and Sophomores. NC would be an average D-III team or maybe a decent JUCO team.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Louisiana Tech (3-10) came to <st1:state>Hawaii</st1:state> (11-3) last year and lost 61-17. It was relatively close at the half (26-10) until <st1:state>Hawaii</st1:state> had a 28 point third quarter. La Tech’s 10 losses were by an average of 34 points. They did however, beat powerhouses <st1:city>Nicholls State</st1:city>, <st1:state>Utah </st1:state>State and North Texas.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<O></O>
- I cannot stress enough how good <st1:state>Hawaii</st1:state> defense will be this year with our new (previous) Defensive Coordinator McMackin. When McMackin teamed up with June Jones in 1998, <st1:state>Hawaii</st1:state> made the biggest turnaround in NCAA history going from 0-12 to 9-4 and ranked 35<SUP>th</SUP> in Defense. This is the same guy who shut down Chad Johnson and TJ Houshmandzadeh in the Bowl Game.
<O></O>
Although Hawaii sent 3 defensive players to the NFL this year, Hawaii still returns 21 of 25 of their leading tacklers, 8 defensive linemen with 3 or more starts, the entire LB corp, two returning starting CB’s, a JC All-American and 4 Star Rivals Texas CB Ryan Mouton, and Texan and soon to be All-WAC Safety Jacob Patek. <O></O>

I got a bad feeling that <st1:state>Hawaii</st1:state> young offensive line will be exposed when we play a real team this season, and it will be <st1:state>Hawaii</st1:state>’s defense that saves us. I guarantee that the days of Hawaii ranked 90+ in Defense are over….We will see Hawaii ranked under 60 this year……even with an offense that scores every 3 minutes and is on the field the majority of games.<O></O>

My Pick and Reasons Why:
<O></O><st1:state><ST1>Hawaii</ST1></st1:state> -28

- Deceiving win. Louisiana Tech is coming off a nice win against I-AA Central Arkansas 28-7. However, the score is doesn’t tell it all, check the box score. LaTech was out first downed 28 to 13 and out gained 386 to 261. All four of La Tech’s touchdowns came on very short drives of 37, 19, 47, and 29 yards. Louisiana Tech was also a terrible 2 for 13 on 3<SUP>rd</SUP> and 4<SUP>th</SUP> downs. Give up 386 to Central Arkansas? <st1:state>Hawaii</st1:state> will easily match the 600+ they put on them last year. Brennan sure as hell isn’t a Central Arkansas QB that will throw 5 picks either…….

- Real Poor Match up between La Tech’s Offense and <st1:state>Hawaii</st1:state>’s Defense. La Tech is a predominantly run team, they will try their damnest to establish the run against <st1:state>Hawaii</st1:state>. Look what happened last year: 41 carries for 135 yards (3.3ypc). Next thing La Tech knew, they were down by 3 scores and had to get out of their element and throw the ball. La Tech’s Senior QB Zac Champion is really poor (50% completion rate 15 career TDs / 18 career Interceptions). <st1:state><ST1>:pHawaii</ST1>’s front 7 will clamp the La Tech’s run offense down. Throw in La Tech’s inexperienced receiving corp against <st1:state>Hawaii</st1:state>’s experienced secondary……. Once La Tech is down by 14, it could get ugly again…..</st1:state><O></O>

- Motivation. All the <st1:state>Hawaii</st1:state> players have hearing the last month from Louisiana Tech’s News and Newspapers, “This is Louisiana Tech’s biggest game of the year!”. <st1:state>Hawaii</st1:state>’s starters didn’t even break a sweat in their opener, this is really <st1:state>Hawaii</st1:state>’s opening game. The 1<SUP>st</SUP> Team Offense and Defense for <st1:state>Hawaii</st1:state> is absolutely pumped for this game.
<O></O>
Louisiana Tech has a new coach and maybe a new attitude / philosophy. However, they are still the “talented” 3-10 team from last year. Hawaii’s opener was a snoozer for the starters and now they really get to play…..I used to think that maybe Hawaii Coach Jones would take it easy this year since a Heisman is unrealistic….Maybe I am still right, but the more I see June Jones interviews and the way they called plays against NC….the more I think June Jones is going to put up even more ridiculous numbers with Brennan……
<O></O><st1:state><ST1></ST1></st1:state>
<st1:state>Hawaii</st1:state> can’t play on the road? Yeah ok, if you aren’t <st1:state>Alabama</st1:state> or <st1:city>Boise</st1:city>, <st1:state>Hawaii</st1:state> averaged a 34ppg road win last year…..
<st1:state>Hawaii</st1:state> 61 La Tech 17 (repeat of last year)
<st1:state>Hawai</st1:state>-28 (550 to win 500)
Gl in whatever you play…:seeya:

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Likey Likey...you may have pushed me over after I look a bit tomorrow

Thanks for post

BOL Hawaiiguy :cheers:

Hope it pulls through for you. I can't wait until my lines come out. Hawaii should roll over Tech. I'll be behind you 100% on this one, and all season long. Hope its a profitable one for you. :shake:

Thank you HG. Agree very much, they should be able to take care of business. Their WR's are too fast for LaTech to slow down.

Question for you.. What is going on at RB? Is it Leon-Wright-Jackson? If so how did he look, I understand they didn't run the ball much.

I'm riding Hawaii, and the over and parlaying. I'm playing this until I lose two in a row.

I did this last year, and made a killing.

Love the Rainbow Warriors!!!

HG - Someone told me the GSFW's didn't run the ball once until the fourth quarter? Is that true?

Throwing the ball in the third quarter after 42, 49, 56 points??? Wowzers.

Nice reports from the island, you always have the inside info. Hawaii has a bright looking year ahead of them. Im leaning on them in week two. GL.

ty BAR, fondy, sparky

everythingthats green - wright jackson and pilares caught only shovel passes (or variations / short swing). jackson's speed is unreal, effortless on his 25 yard play. however, both need to practice blocking. as to why both did not run the ball.......million dollar question.

ty frankie, gl atolunch, ty RJ

CKR - no idea why Hawaii didnt run. you would think with new backs Hawaii would run their Tampa Left /Right for practice. that, and JJ news comments give me the impression Hawaii is going to pound teams unmercifully this year.

gl grid, mx

ty BAR, fondy, sparky

everythingthats green - wright jackson and pilares caught only shovel passes (or variations / short swing). jackson's speed is unreal, effortless on his 25 yard play. however, both need to practice blocking. as to why both did not run the ball.......million dollar question.

ty frankie, gl atolunch, ty RJ

CKR - no idea why Hawaii didnt run. you would think with new backs Hawaii would run their Tampa Left /Right for practice. that, and JJ news comments give me the impression Hawaii is going to pound teams unmercifully this year.

gl grid, mx

thank you HG for this info on Wright-Jackson. Do you have those comments that you could post here. I can see why he is going to toast teams this yr. 12-0 will get them a BCS look if they crush everyone in their way. It will also get Colt's numbers through the roof.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]<st1:state>Hawaii</st1:state> 61 La Tech 17 (repeat of last year)

<o></o><st1:state><st1></st1></st1:state>
[/FONT]yup

This is one of those games where you can only play one side.......I cant think of any reasoning where La Tech gets any consideration.

thank you for the right up on latech home to hawaii.

nice to hear about these hawaii games as i usually miss out on watching them. hoping brennan gets the hesiman ... he is going to have over 110 td passes in a two year span. wow.

Couldnt lay the 27.5, but I played 'em with 4 others in a 5 team, 7 pt teaser.

GL on the Bows.

good read.

Hawaii's road Warriors embark on 12-day road trip

<script type="text/javascript">var addthis_pub = 'csampson';</script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://s9.addthis.com/js/widget.php?v=10"></script> <!-- AddThis Bookmark Button END -->
HONOLULU -- Hawaii airs it out like no other team in the nation. The road Warriors will spend nearly 51 hours in flight for their five away games this season.
Hawaii and the Colt Brennan Air Show departed Wednesday for its first and longest road trip of the season - a 12-day journey during which it will face Louisiana Tech on Saturday, followed by UNLV a week later.
Oddsmakers have the Rainbow Warriors listed as 28-point favorites on Saturday with the total set at 76.
The 20th-ranked Warriors (1-0) are going to surprising lengths to adapt to the 5-hour time difference and to recover from the long travel.
For example, the team will stay on Hawaii time for the first couple days. That means practicing in the evening, eating dinner at 10 p.m. and holding team meetings at midnight.
''We're very isolated out here and I don't think people tend to appreciate that and don't realize how much we overcome,'' said Brennan, who passed for 416 yards and six touchdowns in the first half of a 63-6 opening win over Northern Colorado. ''When people come and play us, they gain time. No one ever talks about this and says it straight: When we go and play teams, we lose time.''
Coach June Jones chose to keep the team on the mainland for nearly two weeks to avoid traveling back and forth to the islands. The Warriors last stayed on the road for two weeks in 2003 when they faced Southern California and UNLV. They lost both games.
Under Jones, the Warriors are 50-20 at home. They've struggled with a 15-20 record on the road. Last year, the Warriors were 8-1 at Aloha Stadium and 3-2 away.
''Hawaii has had a history of losing on the road and we want to break that,'' receiver Davone Bess said.
Located more than five hours by air from the West Coast, every away game is a major trip for Hawaii.
While many teams complain about how difficult it is to travel to the islands, Jones said traveling east is ''way worse.''
''They should try it. We sleep on the plane all night and try to get ready to play a football game,'' he said. Traveling west is ''not even the same ballpark (as) going east.''
The Warriors boarded two buses Wednesday afternoon for the 3,901-mile, 7 1/2-hour chartered flight to Houston. They were scheduled to arrive at their hotel Thursday at 8:15 a.m. CDT, or 3:15 a.m. Hawaii time.
They'll practice in Houston twice before flying to Monroe, La., on Friday night to board a bus for a short ride to Ruston.
After Saturday night's game against the Bulldogs, the team will return to Houston where it will stay several days in preparation for UNLV in front of dozens of NFL scouts.
The team will fly to Las Vegas on Sept. 14 to play UNLV the following day. The Warriors will leave Las Vegas early Sept. 16 for their 6-hour flight home.
That's if everything runs according to schedule and the team doesn't run into any delays.
''You never can predict the elements,'' Brennan said. ''Every time we travel is different. We don't know what our obstacles will be, but we know we have to overcome them.''
Brennan said it's much easier for teams to play in Hawaii because all the players just have to stay up late to adjust to the time change, while the Warriors are forced to sleep and wake up earlier than normal.
''It's a lot harder to get up early at 3 in the morning and go play a football game at 7 in the morning,'' he said. ''So people tend not to respect us, and that's why we're always an underdog.''
Not so for Saturday's game. Hawaii is a 28-point favorite.
Jones said he's scheduled nonstop study sessions and team meetings, so there will be little time for distractions. He also said the long-trip will be a good time to bond as a team.
Brennan said despite the long road trips, playing for Hawaii is worth it.
''You know what man? We live in paradise and that's the price we pay to live here,'' he said.

HG,

What's up man? I couldn't agree more. I missed the opener because I was in Vegas (can you believe they didn't have a line, LOL?) They didn't even show the game there, they said that K5 has the rights to the game and that they'd replay on Sunday.

Anyways, after watching the tape I have to agree the D looks faster and more decisive in past years. I truly hope that McMackin can bring it back. Colt and the barrage of receivers will do their thing, no doubt. I do feel after listening to some of the video clips from practices and after the game last week, that the guys are completely aware of the implications a loss could mean to them as well as Colt's chance to appear on National Television as our Heisman hopeful.

I got lucky here on the line and am laying 27.5 for 5 bills

BTW - Got my ass handed to me in every tourney that I played poker in Binion's but one, where I made the final table, but went out 8th (they were only paying 7). I did however make a killin' in Craps and now have some serious cash to make a run here.

GL bro!

I can't believe I'm letting myself get talked into this again after I swore off chalk...

Thanks for the insight, HG. GLTY

Hawaii, aweosme post bud, I rely for u on these hawaii games in football and in hoops...your stellar.....bol tomorrow

Any watch this game?

The boxscore shows 3 Hawaii TO's - none for LA Tech....Is that the game in a nutshell? I was surprised LaTech put up over 400 yards vs a defense thats supposed to be stout.

LA TECH jumped out early and allowed them to play inspired through out. Hawaii defense looked similar to past mainland performances. A bet on Hawaii never had a chance. They are lucky to remain undefeated. When huge dogs like this start decently it usually allows them to remain in the game most of the way ... occasionally you get a west virginia crushing marshall type thing in a second half ( remember texas vs okie state a couple years ago too) but most of the time a huge dog covers when they start fast ... get hope and dont quit.

Back