Saturday 02/20/16 NBA discussion thread

divol

The Spurs can suck my manhood
[TABLE="class: linesTbl, width: 934"]
<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 12px;">[TR="class: linesHeader"]
[TD="colspan: 8"][h=4]NBA BASKETBALL - SAT 2/20[/h][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesColumns"]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, colspan: 4, align: center"]GAME[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]HANDICAP[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MONEY LINE[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]TOTAL POINTS[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MORE[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt1"]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Sat 2/20[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]503[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Milwaukee Bucks [/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]+9 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Over 205 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]04:35 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]504[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Atlanta Hawks[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]-9 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Under 205 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt2"]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Sat 2/20[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]505[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]New York Knicks[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]+2 1.909[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Over 204.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt2"]
[TD="bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]05:05 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]506[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Minnesota Timberwolves[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]-2 2.000[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Under 204.5 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Sat 2/20[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]507[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Golden State Warriors[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]-4.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"] 1.540[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Over 221.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]05:35 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]508[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Los Angeles Clippers[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]+4.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"] 2.660[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Under 221.5 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

divol
u have the wrong guy in the pic
that supposed to be MJ biting his own jersey
MJ used to do that......
remember????

Warriors will crush the Blazers on March 11th. Blazers ran up the score a little bit and that definitely won't be forgotten by GS. The Warriors were just not there mentally tonight.

kobe is so pathetic
mj sits around and smokes a big fat cigar chuckling at shit like this

Never liked MJ, huge Kobe fan... Kobe never hidden the fact that MJ was his idol and that he copied him.
If I had to choose who was the better player... you know what my answer would be...

Never liked MJ, huge Kobe fan... Kobe never hidden the fact that MJ was his idol and that he copied him.
If I had to choose who was the better player... you know what my answer would be...

ok ok ok
ur answer makes no sense to me

1. u never liked MJ
but our fave player did everything MJ did
huh???

2. if kobe copied everything MJ did how was he the better player? ughhhh

well maybe he raped better

A) never said he copied everything and someone can copy and actually do a better job
B) I like Kobe because I'm a Lakers fan, so not a hard choice for me and also, because I watched Michael since 1993 and so on and I had the chance to watch Kobe from the moment he stepped on the court and because of other aspects of Kobe. Who you like and don't like, in sports and in real life, isn't some table that you can make with pro's and cons. You either like the person or you don't...

Interesting game in Miami tonight. Both teams off a nice win, Wizards play B2B2B, but have a great chance to win all three, if Heat still without Wade...

First lean is Minnesota. Wolves played decent game last night and they should feel good about themselves, given the fact that Lavine and Towns won their competitions in ASG and Lavine was MVP of the youngsters game.
I feel that they are the better team here and the line should be -4 or even -4.5 here imho.

A) never said he copied everything and someone can copy and actually do a better job
B) I like Kobe because I'm a Lakers fan, so not a hard choice for me and also, because I watched Michael since 1993 and so on and I had the chance to watch Kobe from the moment he stepped on the court and because of other aspects of Kobe. Who you like and don't like, in sports and in real life, isn't some table that you can make with pro's and cons. You either like the person or you don't...
yes i watched MJ from the 80's. he hung in the air poor scot ehlo and then pulled out the fist that kobe than took off him

if u WANT ME TO GO ON I WILL

GS might be tempting off blowout loss. but clippers rested off 2 close losses vs warriors is a bit scary. still undecided on this one

Dubs interested in Varajao. I think it would be a good idea to pick him up for cheap until Ezeli can come back. Speights just isn't a defensive presence and the D sucks when Bogut sits.

Kobe an all timer. But if you even consider that he is better that's an absolute joke. Jordan never allowed his teammates to carry him to championships... Kobe you could argue did that 5 times. Especially the last one vs. the Celtics where he was a liability and not an asset.

Top 5, perhaps. But please, he's not even in the conversation vs. Jordan. Jordan aged like a fine wine and essentially went undefeated in his prime (6 for 6 rings) while Kobe had several forgettable moments.

And what's crazy is imagine Kobe if he played another 2 seasons... Jordan was a superior player even at 40 years old vs. what Kobe has been last couple of seasons.

And I like Kobe, a lot.

But people just sound like retards when they utter MJ's name in comparison with anyone from the 1980 and forward. Argue Wilt, Russel, Kareem, etc... something different... but Lebron, Kobe, etc. GTFO!

i laughed so hard last night it was a great way to end the night

everyone is entitled to their opinions but that's just downright disrespectful

i've never seen anyone outside of fans of bulls' rivals say they don't like MJ

Just another thread confirming that no one should be taking Divol's opinions on the NBA seriously. I don't understand how one's focus can be on one particular sport and that person have little clue as to what's going on.

Imagine if MJ didn't take those two years off after his father's death and the baseball stint. That would've been two more titles under his belt. MJ is the GOAT and it's not even close.

I like the Warriors tonight. Nobody from the Warriors played any heavy minutes in the blowout last night and Bogut only played 14 minutes. Line is dropping, was -5 now -3.5. This might be a game I bet in game as I think the Clips can jump out in front. The dubs have never lost back to back games and this is how they did following losses so far this year.

After the loss to Milw, they crushed Phoenix by 25.
After the loss to Dallas, they beat Houston by 14 and that was on the road.
After the loss to Denver, they beat the Lakers by 18. Was a push ATS.
After the loss to Detroit, they spanked the Cavs by 34 on the road.

ATS those 4 games they were 3-0-1 so they respond well after a loss. With the exception of Bogut committing the fouls, don't be surprised to see hack a jordan tonight if they have to. I'll be on the Warriors in some fashion tonight.

You can believe that MJ is better, you can believe that little green men exist and you can believe that Kobe is better. We all are entitled to believe what we want. I seen hundreds of arguments who is better over who in many variations and never one side been able to prove anything to the other, so I won't even try.
You don't have to take my opinions on the NBA seriously. I can even make it easier for you and stop posting my thoughts here.
Good luck the rest of the season!

Can't even believe Im doing this but have to

[h=1]Once And For All: Michael Jordan Was Way Better Than Kobe Bryant[/h] By Neil Paine
sawh971218176380.jpg
Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant and Chicago Bulls guard Michael Jordan during a game at the United Center in Chicago in 1997. The Bulls defeated the Lakers 104-83.
Vincent Laforet / AFP / Getty Images

While the Los Angeles Lakers have endured a (predictably) poor start to the 2014-15 season, their future Hall of Famer Kobe Bryant continues to rack up individual milestones. In one game last month, he picked up his 20th career triple double and became the first player in league history to record 30,000 career points and 6,000 career assists. And after a 32-point outburst Tuesday night, Bryant moved to within 30 points of Michael Jordan and third place on the NBA’s all-time scoring list — meaning Bryant could pass Jordan in the Lakers’ Friday night game against the San Antonio Spurs.
Jordan has always been an easy comparison for Bryant. The two men play the same position (shooting guard), are built similarly (both stand 6 feet 6 and weigh about 200 pounds), seem to possess the same maniacal work ethic, and even have similar-looking games. Bryant’s championship count, five, even rivals Jordan’s six. In the minds of many fans, Bryant is the closest to Jordan the game has seen since Jordan retired for good in 2003.
Statistically, though, there’s never really been much of a comparison. According to most advanced metrics, Jordan was better than Bryant at both ends of the floor. (This is true even if we restrict both players to the same block of seasons by age so we’re comparing apples to apples. Kobe entered the NBA at age 18, and he’s 36 now; Jordan played from age 21 to 34, retired and played again from age 38 to 39. So their overlapping years are 21 to 34.)
paine-datalab-kobevsmj.png

Offensively, Bryant can’t hold a candle to Jordan, mainly because of a disparity in efficiency. After translating both Jordan’s and Bryant’s stats to a league-wide offensive efficiency level of 106 points per 100 possessions to account for the changes in the game (the NBA’s overall average since it merged with the ABA in 1976), Jordan posted an offensive rating of 118.4 between the ages of 21 and 34, while Bryant put up a rating of 112.4. For a top scorer like Bryant or Jordan, an offensive rating boost of six points per 100 possessions can mean an extra four wins for his team in an 82-game season.
Because of an effect known as “skill curves,” it can be misleading to directly compare efficiency numbers between players with different offensive responsibilities. (This is why Steve Kerr and Fred Holberg aren’t better offensive players than Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony, for instance.) But Jordan’s and Bryant’s roles were of roughly the same, so it’s a fair comparison; between the ages of 21 and 34, Jordan used 31.9 percent of the Chicago Bulls’ possessions while on the floor, while Bryant used 31.6 percent of the Lakers’ possessions when he was in the game. In other words, with essentially the same volume of the offense being directed through each player, Jordan was just a lot more efficient than Bryant at turning possessions into points.
Why? Jordan shot the ball more accurately than Bryant, with a true shooting percentage of .580 to Bryant’s .556 — and that number even includes Bryant’s superior three-point shooting (particularly by volume) and a slight edge to Bryant at the free throw line as well. This means Jordan’s shooting advantage was almost totally driven by a better success rate on 2-pointers, where he crushed Bryant 52.0 percent to 48.5 percent despite the high likelihood that Bryant has taken more shots closer to the rim than Jordan did. (Even though a much larger proportion of Bryant’s shots came from three-point territory, Bryant’s rate of drawing fouls per shot attempt — a good proxy for how close to the basket a player is taking his shots — was higher than Jordan’s.)
Jordan also protected the ball much better than Bryant. Between the ages of 21 and 34, Jordan turned the ball over on just 9.3 percent of his possessions, the best rate ever among players with such a high volume of shooting. Bryant isn’t exactly careless with the ball, but Jordan’s combination of a high usage rate, great shooting efficiency, a good assist rate and a microscopic rate of turnovers is what makes him arguably the best offensive player of the NBA’s post-merger era.
Even when coupled with usage rate, it’s possible for individual efficiency numbers to belie a player’s true offensive contribution. A more sophisticated approach to measuring a player’s effect on his team’s offense can be found in statistical plus/minus metrics like Daniel Myers’s Box Plus/Minus (BPM). By that measure, Jordan helped his teams’ offenses by about 2.3 more points per 100 possessions than Bryant did between ages 21 and 34. We can’t be sure what a player’s actual on-court impact was before 2001 because we don’t have play-by-play data, but this reconstruction of regularized adjusted plus/minus for the 1990s (using box score and quarter-by-quarter score data) estimates that Jordan was, by far, the best offensive player of that decade. (By contrast, Bryant’s offensive impact ranks fourth relative to his peers.)
Meanwhile, on defense Bryant looks like the Derek Jeter of the NBA — soaking up defensive accolades on reputation rather than performance. Over his career (which includes 12 All-Defensive team nods) the Lakers have only been 0.6 points per 100 possessions better than average defensively, and Bryant’s long-term regularized defensive plus/minus of -0.9 is below average. Synergy Sports, the video-tracking service that classifies every play a player is involved in, has the most favorable view of Bryant defensively but still considers him to be just a 55th percentile defender on aggregate since it began tracking full-season data in 2006-07 (a span over which Bryant was named to six All-Defensive squads).
We don’t have Synergy numbers for Jordan defensively, but what evidence we do have suggests that he was better than Bryant at that end of the court. Jordan posted higher rates of steals, blocks and defensive rebounds than Bryant, and team-based defensive metrics like Dean Oliver’s defensive rating consider Jordan far superior (101.1 to 105.4; lower is better on defense) over the age 21 through 34 span after translating for era. Furthermore, the defensive component of Myers’s BPM lists Jordan as saving about 1.4 points per 100 possessions relative to Bryant (whom the metric considers a below-average defender). And while Jordan was in the top 12 percent of 1990s defenders by the aforementioned reconstructed plus/minus rating, Bryant was in the bottom 42 percent of his peers in defensive regularized plus/minus.
Bryant will catch — and pass — M.J. on the all-time scoring list soon, but that shouldn’t be taken as an indication that Bryant has been a better basketball player than Jordan. To the contrary, the best statistical evidence at our disposal shows there really isn’t any legitimate way to make the argument for Bryant’s superiority. It’s only natural to hold the two players up side by side because of their superficial similarities, but a serious breakdown of the numbers renders all of those comparisons silly — the better player is Jordan, in a landslide.

Just another thread confirming that no one should be taking Divol's opinions on the NBA seriously. I don't understand how one's focus can be on one particular sport and that person have little clue as to what's going on.

Larry, I am going to give you one warning. There is no need to make personal attacks about someone's intelligence level. People are allowed to agree to disagree, but making things personal attacks will NOT be tolerated anymore...and if you or anyone wants to test my seriousness level on that...I'd highly suggest not doing so.

You can believe that MJ is better, you can believe that little green men exist and you can believe that Kobe is better. We all are entitled to believe what we want. I seen hundreds of arguments who is better over who in many variations and never one side been able to prove anything to the other, so I won't even try.
You don't have to take my opinions on the NBA seriously. I can even make it easier for you and stop posting my thoughts here.
Good luck the rest of the season!

Divol, while I disagree with your opinion and I'm sure it is in the minority, you have every right to have it. You have been a long-time member and any thoughts (by all members as long as they aren't personal) are welcomed at this site.

GUYS, THIS IS A ONE-TIME EXPLANATION THAT PEOPLE DISRESPECTING OTHER PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY DISAGREE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE...I DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ASS HOW THINGS USED TO BE...THIS FORUM IS NOT GOING TO BE A PLACE WHERE WE TOLERATE PERSONAL ATTACKS, TROLLING, OR ANY UNNECESSARY BS ANY LONGER.

THESE DISCUSSION THREADS ARE VALUABLE TO A LOT OF MEMBERS AND A SHARING OF IDEAS IS WELCOME...

Thanks,

Scarf

So and so is better than so and so...yadda yadda yadda...why look for good bets on today's card when you can spend your time philosophizing about how many angels can fit on the head of a pin?

GS might be tempting off blowout loss. but clippers rested off 2 close losses vs warriors is a bit scary. still undecided on this one

yeah im laying off... I cant go against the clippers right now... the all star break hangover could last more than one game and the warriors have very little resistance in the paint

a DJ prop might be in order

Larry, I am going to give you one warning. There is no need to make personal attacks about someone's intelligence level. People are allowed to agree to disagree, but making things personal attacks will NOT be tolerated anymore...and if you or anyone wants to test my seriousness level on that...I'd highly suggest not doing so.

Divol, while I disagree with your opinion and I'm sure it is in the minority, you have every right to have it. You have been a long-time member and any thoughts (by all members as long as they aren't personal) are welcomed at this site.

GUYS, THIS IS A ONE-TIME EXPLANATION THAT PEOPLE DISRESPECTING OTHER PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY DISAGREE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE...I DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ASS HOW THINGS USED TO BE...THIS FORUM IS NOT GOING TO BE A PLACE WHERE WE TOLERATE PERSONAL ATTACKS, TROLLING, OR ANY UNNECESSARY BS ANY LONGER.

THESE DISCUSSION THREADS ARE VALUABLE TO A LOT OF MEMBERS AND A SHARING OF IDEAS IS WELCOME...

Thanks,

Scarf

I know I'm a minority and I have no problem in that position :)
It does bug me that people start to attack someone, just for not agreeing with the position of the majority. I was under the impression that the beauty of forums is the ability to read different thoughts and opinions...

I know I'm a minority and I have no problem in that position :)
It does bug me that people start to attack someone, just for not agreeing with the position of the majority. I was under the impression that the beauty of forums is the ability to read different thoughts and opinions...

Disagreement on forums is the beauty of this mode of communication, Divol. And you're entitled to your opinion, just as Lareux is entitled to think its a ridiculous opinion.

However, we can all be reasonable and respectful on how we go about disagreeing with people. My statement was not a direct attack regarding Lareux specifically...more of a general statement that we're all going to learn around here to be passionate (regardless of our opinions), but not disrespectful from this point forward. I know things haven't been like this for quite a while now, but this forum is an open exchange of all ideas...as long as it's done in a way where it's not including any attacks.

Any members that do not like that, are welcome to see if I'm bluffing in saying that CTG will not tolerate this anymore, or how it will be handled.

Discussion threads are the most important ones we have as they help EVERYONE cap...I just want to make sure our focus is on helping everyone win money...

Regarding the MJ Kobe issue---I think Kobe got everything he had out of his body. So did MJ. MJ though was a super freak. Just a little bit faster and higher endurance then his opponents. They both go down as super elite but no real doubt that if they had played at similar ages MJ would have won. MJ might have beat LeBron another Superman

Played GSW -3.5. GSW 4 - 0 ATS and SU off a loss this season and I feel that both teams can't guard each other and bottom line, Warriors have more offensive tools than the Clippers. GSW should be in a very strong set mind to win here. They been asked a lot about Bulls record and two losses here, won't end the story, but will take a lot of air out of this GSW goal.
On top of that, Green should play tonight and it can take him few games to find the rhythm with the Clips. Lance been playing really well in this Clippers hot streak recently...

GSW and the Wolves two plays tonight.

Played GSW -3.5. GSW 4 - 0 ATS and SU off a loss this season and I feel that both teams can't guard each other and bottom line, Warriors have more offensive tools than the Clippers. GSW should be in a very strong set mind to win here. They been asked a lot about Bulls record and two losses here, won't end the story, but will take a lot of air out of this GSW goal.
On top of that, Green should play tonight and it can take him few games to find the rhythm with the Clips. Lance been playing really well in this Clippers hot streak recently...

GSW and the Wolves two plays tonight.

Lance got traded to the Grizz at the deadline.

Really strange results the first few days off ASG break...

I think that GSW bet loss is my worst beat this season yet. 39 seconds to go, GSW lead by 12 points and both teams pulled back all the starters and then some f*cked up things happened...

That was fucked up Divol. Definitely some insane shit happening in the association right now.

Back