s--k's plays week 9

s--k

Goodbye to Romance College Football
Too many on radar games, will have to narrow that down. Haven't spend much time recapping last week's games or digging in to these ones yet. Again lines move and I don't bet anything with local until 30m before first kick of day, so no reason for me to post lines here.

Probable Plays:

Marshall
UAB
West Virginia
Illinois
Wyoming
South Carolina
Bowling Green
FAU

On the radar / fence, line movement will narrow down some of them for me:

UConn - almost certain scratch at this point
BC
Duke
UCLA
Wake
NC St
Texas - definite scratch
Ore St
Air Force
Idaho
La Tech - almost certain scratch
ISU
LV

I post the record for full disclosure, I don't claim to be good so that is not why I post. Learned a long time ago that I'm not disciplined enough to make consistent money at this so I bet small and effectively do it for fun, basically just picking teams to root for with something on the line.

season 76-71-1 = -1u

week 8 / 13-8 (+3.9)
week 7 / 9-6 (+2.10u)
week 6 / 4-9-1 (-1.55)
week 5 / 10-9 (-1.25u)
week 4 / 7-11 (-4.45u)
week 3 / 8-7 (+.95u)
weeks 1-2 / 25-21 (-.7u) unposted
futures

Last edited:
South Carolina

I was tempted to go with Florida last week and the Gator D vs Mizzou off a huge SEC road win and rFr QB making first start. But I thought that Mizzou could probably keep it rolling one more week vs Florida's anemic offense. And keep it rolling they did, to the tune of 500 yards! For context, Florida has not allowed 500 yards since 2007! Yes, that is a span of 70 games! Gators held to 151 yards of offense, the lowest since 1999!

So is Missouri that good? Sure Missouri is good, but I think last week's game was clearly an anomaly. Tigers played one of the best defenses in the nation by most accounts and they ran up and down the field on them. And we know Florida has and has had in the past some poor offensive teams, but their lowest output in some 13 years vs Missouri? Missouri did it, they deserve credit, but at the same time it is as much of a fluke as anything.

Look back at the Georgia game and Mizzou only gained 375 yards, which in fact before the Vandy game was UGA's least yards allowed vs BCS teams. And before last week Missouri D was allowing 419 yards in their previous 6 games, then all of a sudden they hold Florida to 151.

It's more of a Florida problem. I don't know what Florida was doing last week, but they were not playing their brand of football. Missouri wanted and wanted it bad. Gators were either still mulling over the LSU loss or whatever, but they did not bring their A or B game, or even their C game and got rolled for it. Don't think it happens this week.

Defensive stat rankings

Carolina has something Florida does not, offense. They average 471 yards, including 224 on the ground. And again, before that sorry excuse for Florida showed up at the Zoo, Missouri had been allowing 419 yards. After last week that figure is down to 381 good enough for 51st. 264 pass yards per game allowed puts Mizzou at 102nd. They do have 19th ranked run D with 116 allowed per, but Toledo and Georgia each ran for 5.43 and 5.29 ypc. Gamecocks counter with 21st overall D and 19th pass yards allowed D. SC run D just 42nd and 143 yards per, but playing Gurshall can do that to you. Each teams scoring D is within a pt of eachother (22.1 vs 22.7).

The Georgia games

[TABLE="class: mod-data"]
<tbody>[TR="class: team-color-strip"]
[TH="align: left"]
[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]MIZZ[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]UGA[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR="class: odd"]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]1st Downs[/TD]
[TD]23[/TD]
[TD]26[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: even"]
[TD="align: left"]3rd down efficiency[/TD]
[TD]5-12[/TD]
[TD]4-11[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]4th down efficiency[/TD]
[TD]0-0[/TD]
[TD]1-1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Total Yards[/TD]
[TD]375[/TD]
[TD]454[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Passing[/TD]
[TD]233[/TD]
[TD]290[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Comp-Att[/TD]
[TD]22-31[/TD]
[TD]25-45[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Yards per pass[/TD]
[TD]7.5[/TD]
[TD]6.4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Rushing[/TD]
[TD]142[/TD]
[TD]164[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Rushing Attempts[/TD]
[TD]37[/TD]
[TD]31[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Yards per rush[/TD]
[TD]3.8[/TD]
[TD]5.3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Penalties[/TD]
[TD]10-57[/TD]
[TD]5-40[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Turnovers[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Fumbles lost[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Interceptions thrown[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]Possession[/TD]
[TD]30:37[/TD]
[TD]29:23[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]SCAR[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]UGA[/TH]
[/TR]
[TD]21[/TD]
[TD]25[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]5-11[/TD]
[TD]6-14[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]1-3[/TD]
[TD]2-3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]454[/TD]
[TD]536[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]228[/TD]
[TD]309[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]16-25[/TD]
[TD]17-23[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]9.1[/TD]
[TD]13.4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]226[/TD]
[TD]227[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]36[/TD]
[TD]53[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]6.3[/TD]
[TD]4.3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]5-40[/TD]
[TD]5-16[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]24:40[/TD]
[TD]35:20[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

As we know, SC played a near full strength Georgia team. Only Mitchell was out at that point. Missouri had the benefit of playing vs Georgia's #3 and #4 RBs (one of which is white) and allowed 5.3 ypc overall (6.15 vs 2 leading rushers) while SC had to play both Gurley and Marshall who they allowed 6.35 ypc (4.3 overall due to sacks and tfl). Wonder what Gurley and Marshall would have done to Mizzou if the white kid could get 5.0 on them?

With 3 of UGA's top 4 WRs playing and complimented by excellent RBs vs SC Murray went 17 of 23 309y 4-0 ratio. With only 1 of the top 4 WRs and reserve RBs now in lead roles vs Mizzou Murray went 25-45 290y 3-2 ratio.

Vs Mizzou UGA RB fumbled at the 6, Murray threw INT at the 18 preventing scores while Tigers got a sack fum D TD and another UGA INT set Tigers up for 33y TD 'drive'. Tiger WR also threw an illadvised double pass into the EZ 40y, but was bailed out by a fantastic catch for TD. 70 more yards, 3 more FDs, 1.5 better ypc, yet lost by 15 because they could not overcome a 4-0 TO deficit.

We can see with Georgia firing on all cylinders and not making mistakes the kind off offense they can produce like when they played SC.

It should be noted that Mike Davis ran for 16-149 (9.3) aided by 75y run vs Georgia. And vs teams that have balance on O, Mizzou has given up some large ypc figures.

The Vandy games

[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]MIZZ[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]VAN[/TH]
[/TR]
[TD]29[/TD]
[TD]27[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]4-11[/TD]
[TD]5-14[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]2-3[/TD]
[TD]2-4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]523[/TD]
[TD]468[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]278[/TD]
[TD]338[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]19-28[/TD]
[TD]29-41[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]9.9[/TD]
[TD]8.2[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]245[/TD]
[TD]130[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]43[/TD]
[TD]38[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]5.7[/TD]
[TD]3.4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]6-52[/TD]
[TD]7-64[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]29:58[/TD]
[TD]30:02[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]VAN[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]SCAR[/TH]
[/TR]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD]31[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]2-12[/TD]
[TD]11-17[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]3-3[/TD]
[TD]2-3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]268[/TD]
[TD]579[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]147[/TD]
[TD]359[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]12-22[/TD]
[TD]28-38[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]6.7[/TD]
[TD]9.4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]121[/TD]
[TD]220[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Rushing Attempts
[/TD]
[TD]33[/TD]
[TD]49[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]3.7[/TD]
[TD]4.5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]0-0[/TD]
[TD]5-30[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]22:50[/TD]
[TD]37:10[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Both SC and MU jumped out to sizable leads and big yardage edges in the process. The difference is that vs SC the Vandy O never got on track while vs MU they did eventually get on track.

SC was up 28-0 and on their way to a blowout score when Vandy ret'd an INT to the 1 and had a TD 1 play later. VU was able to add a 54y FG before half yet were being outgained nearly 400y to 100y were only down by 18. SC fumbled a KO in the 4th qrt and VU added a TD, so for the game VU had two TD 'drives' total 20 yards.

Carta-Samuels vs SC 12-22-147-1-1 vs MU 29-41-338-2-1

2012 SC 31-10 (-10')

MIZZ SC
[/TH]
[/TR]
[TD="class: bi, align: left"]1st Downs
[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]19[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]2-12[/TD]
[TD]6-12[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]1-2[/TD]
[TD]1-2[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]255[/TD]
[TD]396[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]146[/TD]
[TD]252[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]18-26[/TD]
[TD]21-23[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]5.6[/TD]
[TD]11.0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]109[/TD]
[TD]144[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]32[/TD]
[TD]39[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]3.4[/TD]
[TD]3.7[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]2-20[/TD]
[TD]4-24[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]27:27[/TD]
[TD]32:33[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Box score does not begin to reveal the dominance this game was, straight up beat down by SC. Shaw completed 20 straight passes. SC fumbled at the MU 16 and 15 and was SOD at the MU 1. A full half of MU's yards and FDs were compiled on their final 3 possessions and their lone TD came with just 20 seconds left.

Shaw out, Thompson in

Shaw is tough and I like him alot. Thompson is a downgrade, but is still a good back up. He started at Clemson last year and threw for 23-41-310. Stepping in for an injured Shaw at UCF, Thompson wasn't great (15-32-261-0-1), but I have confidence in him here.

The Tennessee game

This might sound strange, but had SC won that game and the O played well rather than poorly I might not like SC as much. I generally don't like going on teams that are hot or playing well. I rather like to take teams on rebounds, that have just been humbled, ones that need sharp practices to improve themselves. That is exactly where SC finds themself this week.

The offense unexpectedly came off the track last week in Knoxville, held 100y below their avg yardage. Dropped passes, receivers not getting open, play calling, penalties. The only thing positive thing on O last week was, again, Mike Davis and his 137y (6.5). Davis now has 879y (6.6) and 10 TDs, I expect him to be a focal point of the gameplan this week. Shaw's injury may force Spurrier into this if nothing else. The running game has been the fuel that propelled SC not just this year, but in previous years. Taking the game out of the QBs hands and relying more on the ground game and I think in turn can make the offense better overall rather than just letting Shaw make all the plays because he won't be making any plays this week. I think we see a more power run type offense this week rather than spread, atleast I hope we do.

The SC D played a strong game vs Vols last week (UT held to 2nd lowest ypp on the year) and forced 8 three-and-outs. Tenn got just two FGs in the second half.

Conclusion

Missouri vastly exceeded expectations last week. Can they do it again? Mizzou has done well in two high profile games, taking on a depleted Georgia O and facing a pedestrian Florida O may have mislead us into thinking their D is quite as good as it is. I think SC has the better D and while I don't think by comparison it is as good as Florida's D, I fully expect them to play better than Florida did. Hell if Florida played Mizzou a 100x I don't think they could play that bad again. While this game is immensely important for both teams, SC is in desperation mode. Some wind has been blown back in their sails since after losing to UT they learn that UGA lost giving them a shot at the East still.

Bowling Green

There is something wrong with QB Terrance Owens this season. After sharing QB duties for 3 years prior, this was his chance to be the sole QB and much was expected, yet he has struggled.

It isn't for lack of receiving options as WRs Reedy and Russell are among the MAC's best. Well, they are supposed to be, maybe their are already trying to figure their NFL draft potential and not bringing their A games this year? It isn't for lack of support in the running game as Fluellen is one of 3 RBs to top 1000y this year. It isn't for lack of OL protection as they returned nearly every starter from '12 and has only allowed 3 sacks this year (2 vs FL).

So what's up with Owens?

He isn't comfortable in the pocket, never sets feet and often looks rushed (when he isn't), he isn't going through progressions and often locks on 1 or 2 guys and he hasn't been accurate especially in his last 2 games. 11 of 25 vs WMich (44%) and 11 of 20 vs Navy (55%).

So Navy vs teams that can throw it (IND, WKU, Duke) they allowed 78%. And while WMich is #1 MAC pass D yards allowed, how does the old saying go? Why pass when you can run, WMich is last in run D. There aren't many teams on WM's schedule who really want to or like to throw much, but Ball ST did light them up for 66% 324y and 8.5 y/att. Really WM's pass D isn't good. Neither is Navy's.

Rocket running game

Good thing for Toledo that they haven't really needed Owens to win them a game, yet. Even with Fluellen getting knocked out last week vs Navy, they had Kareem Hunt come in and run for 127 on just 15att. Not a surprise necessarily since Navy's run D ranks 99th. Fluellen's status is unknown after an injury to his back vs Navy last week. He has played like an AA candidate this season and they have really leaned on him and he is virtually the only reason the game vs Mizzou was somewhat close.

Big loss if Fluellen can't go because now the burden is on Owens and Rocket fans can't feel good about that right now.

BG D

After an amazing 38 sacks last year (12.5 by departed Chris Jones), nearly 3 pg, BG has just 11 so far this year (1.5pg).

'12 ALL MAC NT Ted Ouellet has essentially missed 3 games and Charlie Walker (3rd most QBH '12) has missed 3 games and spots of others. If these guys are nearing 100% then the BG DL could be at full strength for the first time since week 1 (Walker hurt vs Tulsa). Ouellet hasn't started the last few, but both Ouellet and Walker are listed #1 at their positions this week.
The lack of QB pressure is a concern.

BG also only has 2 INTs, although they have come in the last 2 games (UMass and Miss St). But the secondary has been good. BG has 3 good CBs (Truss ALL MAC) and 3-4 good Ss (Gates ALL MAC). BG ranks #2 MAC Pass D and Pass Eff D, which unlike WMich, isn't because teams would rather run than throw vs BG. Although vs the only good pass O BG faced IND lit them up.

Vs two BCS level teams (IND, Miss St), BG has allowed 511y (5.16) rushing. Vs the rest of their schedule BG has allowed 127 rush ypg (4.4). If Fluellen is playing or 100% this might be a spot that BG could be vulnerable. Hunt is a tFr who came in last week after Flu got knocked out. McDowell is experienced, but he did not play last week, status unknown. Every team has bodies and capable backups to some degree, but Fluellen's injury status is a big deal.

BG has ncaa #1 Red Zone D! Opponents are only scoring on 10 of 20 RZ trips including a SOD vs Miss St last game. Toledo does have MAC's #1 RZ O. And strange enough, BG has not had a FG made agains them this year (only team in nation).

The personnel is good at LB and DB, but the D hasn't really been overwhelming even though the stat rankings say they are good. If Toledo was playing to their potential and if Owens wasn't struggling or if Fluellen was coming in here 100% it would be a different story. As it is, I think BG D should stack up well.

BG O

The QB change to Matt Johnson has been key. He wasn't pretty at times week 1, but has gotten better as the season has went on. He is less than 2 pts behind Wenning for 2nd MAC pass eff. He is 64% with 9-3 ratio and 231 ypg. Johnson isn't a very graceful runner, but he can get out of trouble and make positive plays. Vs Miss St he was 20-34-224-0-0. Miss St had INT'd opposing QBs atleast once in their previous 4 games, but Johnson avoided that.

The running game is lead by converted WR Travis Greene. He has 810 (6.0) with 4 100y games this year and just missed another with 99 (6.6) vs Miss St. BG is 3rd MAC rush O right behind Toledo.

2012 leading receiver X Chris Gallon is out for year. He was #2 this year in receptions at time of injury. His loss may not be as big as expected. WR Jared Cohen was one to watch this offseason and after just 4 catches prior to Miss St, he stepped into Gallon's role and caught 5-51 vs MSU. Z WR Joplin is #1 in catches and yards and WR Burbrink and TE Bayer are still around to catch balls too.

The OL has performed well, with two ALL MAC caliber players (C Kekuewa and G Flewellyn). Two rFr Ts have peformed well. They have allowed 15 sacks however, which matches all of 2012. With a first year starting QB and two first year Ts that isn't too surprising. They didn't yield one vs Miss St though. 6 of those sacks came vs Akron and surprisingly Akron has been a good sack team (2nd best in MAC). Toledo can get to the QB too (20 sacks).

Toledo D

I'm not sure how good this D is. They are good at returning fumbles for TD with one in each of the last 4 games! The stats say they are about a mid to upper-mid pack MAC D. I don't believe they are anything special.

Starting LB Trent Voss is out for the year, he is #2 tackler, #1 among the front 7. Came across a message board comment about S Madison (#5 tackler) being questionable. I don't know. He was flagged for targeting last week, but his ejection was overturned. Will need to see what else I find about him.

I think the front 7 is probably the strength of the D and I am suspicious of the pass D. They really have only faced Ball St in terms of good pass O and Ball St will pass it on anyone. They haven't been tested much. Not that BG is going to chuck it all over the place, but I suspect that BG can have an edge in the passing game.

Series history

Teams are only separated by 20 some miles right down I-75.

Toledo has won 3 straight. So we have the stories of BG seniors facing 0-fer vs Toledo and Toledo seniors going for sweep. Toledo views themselves at a higher level than BG. Like most rivalries, one team is often viewed as the inferior of the two and that team is BG.

This appears to be BG's best team all-around in recent years and Toledo appears to have some chinks in their armor.

2012 BG (+3') got off to a slow start with 4 straight punts and a INT on 5th possession and FG miss on 6th and trailed 17-0 in the process and eventually lost 15-27. QB Owens had a good game.

2011 an eventual 5-7 BG (+8) led 7-0 at HT as both teams missed FGs. It was tied 14-14, but Tol got a 33y 'drive' after INT and BG was SOD twice in the 2nd half in Tol terr, including once at the 6 with it being a 7 pt game. Each team scored another TD afterwards late 4th qrt (BG ret KO).

BG has not been favored in the series since they last won it in 2009 (-7 won 38-24).

Conclusion

I think as a BG backer one can take away alot of positives from the Miss St game. BG's schedule had not been great and their performance vs some of their opponents had not been great. I'm sure Miss St thought it would be one of those helmet games, just show up and win, but BG battled. They were narrowly out gained (39y), out FD'd (2), out ypc'd (.3). TOs were the same at 1 a piece and 3rd down conv were the same. Johnson played well, Greene ran and OL blocked well vs SEC D (and again 0 sacks allowed) and they limited Miss St to just 1 big play. In a 1 pt loss, BG was SOD near midfield twice on their final 2 possessions.

Interesting scheduling in that BG had a bye last week and have a bye of sorts next week. Toledo is off a nail biting OT win over Navy. I like that kind of situational advantage for BG (next game would be 9 days away on Tuesday 11/5 which is only vs Mia, Oh). The biggest thing for me is that the Toledo offense has been off this year with the exception of Fluellen and now his status is in question (didn't practice much on Tuesday). If they ask Owens to win this game for them I don't believe he is in the right place mentally to accomplish it. Unless the 2012 or 2011 Owens shows up I don't mind going against him.

I think the better individual defensive players reside with BG. Toledo does have the better individual O players, but with the exception of Flu at RB, have not played that way for most of the year. And I think collectively the better team unit is found with Bowling Green right now.

Mizzou didn't need yards against Ga. They had the lead most of the game and was always setup with great field position. You can't just say oh they had 4 turnovers so it was a fluke. Turnovers are gonna happen when you play Mizzou. The d line is gonna forced hurried throws all day.

The Vandy o only got "on track" because the game was over early in the 2nd quarter and Mizzou gave them soft yards. Mizzou couldve won that game by 50 if they wanted to.

The whole Mizzou beat banged up teams that Jesse Palmer, Rick neiuhesul and other have been preaching is assine. Mizzou won big games with a backup rs fr qb and without their arguably their best defensive player. Mizzou has won every game by at least 15 pts and have scored at 36 pts in every game.

Baseball is a game of statistics. Football is not. You can't look at boxscores and pretend to know what you are talking about. You have to actually watch the games.

Sorry if my last post made me sound like a dick but I get rialed up when people are still hating on mizzou for winning every game decisively. Let's just say I strongly disagree with analysis of Mizzou. You can have your opinion, thats cool. Gl this week

I think this is what happens... People have preconceived expectations of teams and when a team surprises people, rather than admit they were wrong they look for justifications .. Not saying the OP is doing this but the analysts are..

No way Missouri can beat UGA .. After they do... They're injured
No way Missouri can beat UF now .. After the do... What's wrong with Florida?
No way they can beat SoCar now.........guaranteed Shaw being out will be the excuse if Missouri wins..

We'll see.. Should be a good game

If shaw was in what would the line be?

And if Franklin were in?

USCe back up has starts in his career.. In fact was part of a qb controversy with Shaw just a year or so ago.. Shaw who himself was in a qb controversy with that Garcia kid or whatever his name was..

Point is, Dylan Thompson is more reliable than Matt Mauk... At least IMO

And if Franklin were in?

USCe back up has starts in his career.. In fact was part of a qb controversy with Shaw just a year or so ago.. Shaw who himself was in a qb controversy with that Garcia kid or whatever his name was..

Point is, Dylan Thompson is more reliable than Matt Mauk... At least IMO
really?

He has 1 start in his career - last week.

But the context of that post is that somehow the drop from Shaw to Thompson has a greater impact on the line than the drop from Franklin to Mauk....which I absolutely would disagree with.

He has 1 start in his career - last week.

But the context of that post is that somehow the drop from Shaw to Thompson has a greater impact on the line than the drop from Franklin to Mauk....which I absolutely would disagree with.
hear ya, I personally can't explain line (have it -9)...nor do I think better qb decides this game, goes much deeper...BOL

I think this is what happens... People have preconceived expectations of teams and when a team surprises people, rather than admit they were wrong they look for justifications .. Not saying the OP is doing this but the analysts are..

No way Missouri can beat UGA .. After they do... They're injured
No way Missouri can beat UF now .. After the do... What's wrong with Florida?
No way they can beat SoCar now.........guaranteed Shaw being out will be the excuse if Missouri wins..

We'll see.. Should be a good game

Well put.

Mizzou didn't need yards against Ga. They had the lead most of the game and was always setup with great field position. You can't just say oh they had 4 turnovers so it was a fluke. Turnovers are gonna happen when you play Mizzou. The d line is gonna forced hurried throws all day.

The Vandy o only got "on track" because the game was over early in the 2nd quarter and Mizzou gave them soft yards. Mizzou couldve won that game by 50 if they wanted to.

The whole Mizzou beat banged up teams that Jesse Palmer, Rick neiuhesul and other have been preaching is assine. Mizzou won big games with a backup rs fr qb and without their arguably their best defensive player. Mizzou has won every game by at least 15 pts and have scored at 36 pts in every game.

Baseball is a game of statistics. Football is not. You can't look at boxscores and pretend to know what you are talking about. You have to actually watch the games.

Sorry if my last post made me sound like a dick but I get rialed up when people are still hating on mizzou for winning every game decisively. Let's just say I strongly disagree with analysis of Mizzou. You can have your opinion, thats cool. Gl this week

I do watch games, please don't insult me. I think you are misdirecting your rialed-upness.

I do not hate Mizzou, I have not been doubting them, waiting for them to lose or even betting against them with any regularity. I've been involved in 3 Mizzou games this year: Toledo, Ark St against the Tigers and on the Tigers vs Georgia.

The Georgia turnovers were huge, I watched the game, I bet Missouri.

I don't know who will win. I am saying that I am taking South Carolina and I typed it out as best I could. I don't think saying "I'm taking team xyz because I watch games" would make for a very interesting thread.

gluck SK, i disagree that you can't use boxscores to help you cap a game, numbers never lie but the scoreboard can

gluck SK, i disagree that you can't use boxscores to help you cap a game, numbers never lie but the scoreboard can

Great stuff as always, BOL s--k :cheers:

Thanks.

Just to add to the point spread speculation on Shaw vs Thompson or Franklin vs Maulk...I agree that Franklin's absence impacts the spread more than Shaw's. I'd rather Shaw be playing (knew he was out when I posted originally), but I don't feel there is a huge point spread impact down to Thompson. What maybe 1-2 pts there? 2012 Franklin probably worth a full 3 pts? I don't make spreads or power ratings so I don't know.

Marshall

Just some quick thoughts. I want to take Marshall’s schedule with a grain of salt, but you have to be encouraged by their defense. They haven’t faced world beating offenses however.

FAU had avg’d 483 ypg over their previous 3 before Marshall, but Herd held them to 415.
UTSA had avg’d 431 ypg on the year entering the Marhsall game, but Herd held them to 254 (UTSA's lowest on the season by over 100y).
Ohio has avg’d 426 in their 6 other games this year, Marshall held them to 335 (OU's 2nd lowest after LV).
VT did exceed their season avg by about 60y which was aided a little by OT.

And considering who Middle Tenn St is, we aren't taking about an offensive juggernaut or anything.

Earlier in the year I was on MTSU, but have since jumped off after BYU. One of the reasons is QB Kilgore. Somehow he had a phenomial game vs ECU, but otherwise (and including the game following ECU), he is having a poor Sr season. Maybe he still has the effects of the shoulder injury I don’t know. Watching him vs BYU was really bothersome. So I am betting Marshall with the expectation he plays tonight relatively the same he has most of this season. Kilgore is 59% 1238y 7-10 negative TD-INT ratio. In his last 4 games he is 55% for just 141 ypg and 4-6 ratio, take out the ECU game and those numbers fall to 49% 107 ypg and 3-4 ratio.

Grammer played some at the end of BYU and compared to Kilgore I liked what I saw, although BYU D was playing different late in the game. Grammer came in vs NT and went just 6 of 22 (27%) for 36y and 0-1 – yuck. He is the mobile QB though and did run for 106 (7.07) vs NT. I expect Grammer to have a big role in the gameplan tonight for them.

MTSU running game has good potential and has produced at times, but the OL has been a problem spot for them and Marshall run D is improved.

If there is a reason to like MTSU at all it is due to their ability to get pressure on opposing QBs and force TOs. They do both pretty well, although in recent weeks they have slowed down in those departments. MTSU gets 2.5 sacks per and Marshall allows 2.5 per.

So I respect MTSU with their ground game potential and QB pressure and strong TO ratio, but I don't see their offense being consistent enough vs a Marshall O that I do like alot, although admittedly I think they aren't playing at the level they were last season. Marshall has convereted atleast 50% 3rd down O in all but two games this year (VT 45% and GW) including 69% vs Ohio. MTSU allows 55% which puts them 124th nationally.

I liked it more around 8, see it has jumped to 9.5 now. Anything in the 10 +/- neighborhood I probably still play this. Not sure on unit size right now.

Mostly agree with the BG write-up. It would be BG or nothing for me consdiering their defense is so much better.
There is a drop off after Fluellen but not huge for rockets. Something to watch though. I didn't think Owens looked quite as bad as you characterize here, I thought it was more drops and bad routes from Reedy etc.

Illinois

When you are talking Illinois football, there really isn't much to write about.

Here is the main reason I want to take ILL this week. Big potential look ahead for MSU as they have Michigan on deck. Not only that, but there is talk of chances of them winning the division if they can win some big games "down the road". If any of these down-the-road aspirations are allowed to creep into their consciousness this week when they know they are "only" playing ILL then it might lead to another ugly game like last week. But I must admit that last week's ugly game vs Purdue could negate all of that as MSU O tries for a rebound of their own.

Illinois is off bye and then failure post-bye losing to Wisconsin and this is their last home game until 11/16. I generally like the concept of backing a team that believes their season still has hope (whether true or not, but .500-ish or better teams) that just lost the week after their bye. A bye-loss-all out performance concept of sorts. Some examples of that this year (NT, Tex, Syr, USF, CSU all as dogs or small favs)(and some who were sizable favs their next game and dominated: Navy, NMex, BC - although those teams don't really qualify for what I'm saying). It isn't a strong angle or anything and there are examples to the contrary.

I have nothing to try to sell you, but I'm sure somebody has seen ILL on my list and ask themselves why. Above is all I got. .5u play just because I feel like something inside of me is telling me I should. Why else would anyone want to take ILL here other than perhaps an ill advised hunch?

Mostly agree with the BG write-up. It would be BG or nothing for me consdiering their defense is so much better.
There is a drop off after Fluellen but not huge for rockets. Something to watch though. I didn't think Owens looked quite as bad as you characterize here, I thought it was more drops and bad routes from Reedy etc.

One thing with Toledo is that as good as their OL has been it does set up other RBs on their roster for chances of success.

The Owens criticisms are a collection of problems he has had throughout the season. He should have been among the best QBs in the MAC. This is what Toledo fans expected and with good cause based on history and his skills and weapons around him. But something is not there with him this year, he's merely average at best this year and maybe those weapons around him (other than Fluellen) are also contributing to the problem in their own ways. Just don't really like the "feel" of this Toledo team.

Agree. Owens has regressed IMO. I think they actually would have had a chance to win the game against Mizzou if not for Owens mistakes

Marshall -9' 1u

Well that sucked.

Maybe FAU's 400y vs Marshall should have been more of a warning sign than I thought. Definitely got the good Kilgore, which I also was not expecting.

Big win for MTSU, they deserve it.

Wyoming

Not easy to back Pokes after the embarrassing loss to CSU last week.

No doubt both teams have alot on the line in terms of divisional / conference title aspirations and bowl eligibility SJSU is 3-3, 2-1 MWC - WYO is 4-3, 2-1 MWC.

SJSU is fresh off a bye and on a 2 game win streak. WYO has bye on deck then faces the toughest part of their season to close (Fresno, Boise back-to-back in 2 weeks).

One thing about Christensen's Wyoming teams is they are a very good away underdog with some outright upsets under their belt. 2012 3-1 ATS with a near upset at Nevada as 19 pt dog (outright win as small dog at Idaho). 2011 4-1 ATS with outright upsets at BG, SD St and AF. 2010 3-1 ATS with outright upset at Toledo and near upset at BYU as 10' pt dog. 2009 5-1 ATS with upsets at FAU, SD St and CSU. 2013 they are 1-0 ATS away dog. That makes his record 16-4 as an away dog with 8 out right upset wins (half getting atleast 7 pts, some more than 2 TDs).

So if that says anything it says that he can get this team to play well when many think they shouldn't...and I don't think it means that we can expect WYO to be flat or hung over (CSU is their biggest rival). Instead I expect them to play with urgency and pride.

Not that I see Fales and Co struggling on their part of the bargin (WR Carr expected back), but I do think that Wyoming isn't going to have as many blown assignments on D this week I hope they got that all out of their system last week. And I really think Wyoming offense behind Brett Smith can keep WYO in the game. Should be a one possession game I would think since SJ St's D isn't going to strike fear into too many teams.

Vs MWC teams (Utah St, Haw, CSU), San Jose is allowing 480 yards and over 30 pts and on the season WYO is avg over 500y and 35 pts per game.

I just don't see Wyoming as bad as last week's result and think they've played well enough in similar role on the road before to expect them to compete here.

We certainly have the same opinion on 2 of my favorite plays this weekend in BG and Wyoming. I feel basically the exact same as you. Hopefully that proves good for us tomorrow. BOL. I love all the work you put in here

West Virginia

If I like my bye-loss-all out peformance angle with Illinois, I have another one here with WVU since they failed off their bye last week vs TT.

I was on TT last week and that game could have went two different ways from where it actually did. For one, TT could have won in a blowout, on a QB run they fumbled at the 1 halfway through the 2nd qrt. A TD there and it is 20-3 and WVU might not have recovered. As it was, WVU went on a 99y TD drive then recovered a fum on the KO and had a tying FG just 90 seconds later. A game that could have got ugly was surprisingly and suddenly competitive.

TT ended up covering by going for the throat rather than killing clock, great for me, but WVU certainly could have, some might say should have covered or even had a shot at the win as they led 27-16 in the 3rd.

Really, I think TT is a pretty good team so WVU losing to them does not impact my impression of the Mountaineers and in fact it might actually elevate it since they had a DD lead in the 2nd half. There was some improvement last week all around that is for sure. Some members here were thinking WVU could win last week and I don't think they were that far off and in fact maybe they were just a week early. The way the schedule sets down the stretch, they could still get bowl eligible.

I'd like to ask what has Kansas St done this year to deserve the point spread they are laying? Currently 11.5. All that I can tell they have done is play some close games. Maybe playing Baylor really well is worth being installed a DD fav here? They certainly competed well at home there compared to what WVU did in Waco. Or how about playing Texas tough? Or a 4 pt loss vs Ok St? Hell WVU beat them.

WVU D rankings are horrible, but they've also now played the 4 best teams in the league (OU, Bay, Ok St, TT) so it is natural I think that their rankings would be poor on D.

Trickett is off his best game (27-43-254-1-0) and will enter his 4th start, 2nd on the road this week. The rushing #s are getting better (184 last week). I think the D is taking some steps down in firepower faced here.

To me this line is too high, maybe 4 pts too high. TT was just a -5 last week, flip the home field and that means 13.75 in Lubbick (using Steele's home field #s)...so basically TT is just 2 pts better than K St? I don't agree. While we debate the merit of that TT team elsewhere, I see K St as a middle pack Big XII team and think that WVU will prove to be one by season's end as well. Just don't see much difference between these teams for the 11.5 pt spread.

Had to take Boise tonight.

+6' for .5u

In that Yahoo league I referenced earlier in another thread 15 people took BYU laying 7, 1 made no pick and then I'm the only one who picked Boise. That is the kind of stuff that my last minute no real substance bets are made of.

Always love the Bullsheet.

Going through TV channels I see lot's of FCS games each week. I assume that is what you watch primarily?

s ...k We don't get all that many, but I watch whatever I can. I use 3 tVs side by side, and if there is a FCS game, it is on one of the three TVs.

new game

UTEP

As bad as Miners have been they have yet to lose by more than 19 pts and have scored 20+ in all but 1 game (ssn avg 27).

Rice has only one win on the season by more than this spread, last week at NM St (26). However, NM St is losing games by 32 pt avg and while Rice beat them by 26, UTEP beat them by 21. Otherwise Rice has won by 6, 3, 4, and 9.

8 of the last 9 in this series have been decided by 9 pts or less and the exception was a UTEP 20 pt win.

This line is crazy, it's only been this high once in last 10 years (UTEP -20 2005 and that ended up being a 7 pt game).

I post the record for full disclosure, I don't claim to be good so that is not why I post. Learned a long time ago that I'm not disciplined enough to make consistent money at this so I bet small and effectively do it for fun, basically just picking teams to root for with something on the line.

describes me pretty well, too GL today.

describes me pretty well, too GL today.

Hey Bull.

Yeah, I wanted to say that because I'm not on here to tell people to tail me or anything. There are some really good cappers on this site who make money. I just want to be part of fun.

I need to head over to the bullsheet and see who you got today.

Good luck today. Hoping to lay 3 with BG but will likely be on them. Seniors have never beat Toledo.

Thanks, right back at ya. I just called it in at 3'. I might add extra .5u if it dips to 3. Thought it had a better chance to go to 4 than it did 3 though.

Laughing because i feel the exact same about illy today and in general. gl

I just called in ILL for 1u instead of .5u. I'm stupid like that. Hope you do well today Streakin.

0-2 this week with Marshall and Boise losing me -1.65u.

1u
BG -3'
WVU +12'
ILL +9
UTEP +19
WYO +9'
S Car +not called in yet
Ore St +4'

.5u
WF +25'
LV -21
Pitt -4'
ISU [ended up scratching this]
BC +6
NC St +34'
UNLV +6
FAU +23
Idaho +41'

Contemplating making BG, WVU and WYO 1.5u and some ML action on WVU and WYO. Have some time to think and see where lines go, they are trending in my favor though on WVU and WYO.

Waiting to see if I can get more on ISU and SC.

Last edited:
SC +3 1u
UAB +8 .5u
WYO +11 .5u

Took second dip on WYO now +11. Probably still will add ML on them.

I will leave it as a posted play, but I forgot to call in Pitt, so saved money there, but will leave it on the record as an L.

Also got the surprising Minn win so the Minn O 5.5 future is a 2u win. WMich U 5.5 win is already +2u and Buffalo O 5.5 win can be a 2u winner today as well.

Had can of whoop ass opened up on me today.

WYO +9' / +11 total 2u now (1u on each number)
WYO ML .5u to win 1.67

SC +3 is now 1.5u

UCLA +24 .5u

2u (1-0 +2)
W – WYO +9’ / 11’

1.5u (1-0 +1.5)
W – S Car +3

1u (0-5 = -5.5)
L – BG -3’
L – WVU +12’
L – ILL +9
L – UTEP +19
L - Ore St +4’

.5u (4-5 -.75)
W - WF +25'
W - LV -21
L - Pitt –4' [forgot to call in, but will count it as loss]
L - BC +6
W - NC St +34'
W - UNLV +6
L - FAU +23
L - Idaho +41'
L – UCLA +24

ML (0-1 -.5)
L - WYO .5u for 1.67

Weekly total incl Thus/Fri 6-13 = -4.9u

As bad of a day as it was, I could have really used that WYO ML. I know some people here had SJ St at the opening line, so as it turned out it’s nice that people here could be winners on both sides of this one, but a Poke out-right win would have really bailed me out. WYO was a great bet (the only one I made), and a well justified ML shot. I was fortunate in the fact that the two games I put more on were the ones that won, but I was simply chasing more than anything. I could have just as easily put more on BG or WVU and then really been in a deeper hole.

I will count my lucky stars for hitting SC, would have been plenty happy with a push the way that game went. SC did have some costly fumbles and they didn’t get any benefit of the doubt on PI calls, but I ain’t going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Mizzou was the better team and I am happy to catch a big break. Conner Shaw, if I ever see you I’m buying.

Bad beats in BG game and the WVU game. BG was down 21-0, but then led 25-21 late 4th qrt only to see Tol hit a 4th down TD pass with about 1-1/2m left. WVU was covering for 86% of the game (all but the final 8 minutes) before it unraveled on them.

I’ll just say this about Illinois, I’m glad that game ended up a blood bath because there was some shit in the first half that had me spitting nails...had this been a close loss I would have been pretty bitter.

UTEP – LOL. Why am I such a sucker for bad teams? Well, none of you know the answer, and neither do I, just always been that way. Long time ago when my first dime bet ever it was on a crappy NM St team that got blown out! I suck sometimes.

FSU took their foot off the gas way early and for that I thank you Jimbo Fisher. Ole Miss on the other hand kept it pedal to the metal all night which sucked balls to lose that one. Was hoping to split those crappy Idaho-FAU games.

It counts as a loss here as it’s the right thing to do, but forgetting to call Pitt is sure nice. Didn’t realize it until I called more games in later in the day. Of course had Pitt covered I would have been cussing myself out all week.

ISU was a good scratch. As was AF and UConn, but I also scratched Duke, Tex, LaTech...so it’s a wash saved the juice atleast.

If Mike Leach was calling plays for UCLA, Bruins would have covered the back door.

And to Ohio State, wish you could have played like that last week. Been a bunch of teams this year that I missed by one week one way or the other.

Finally, Ore St throwing 4x in the EZ at the end of the game. Would have actually been happy with the day all told had Beavers found a way in this one would have meant a 2.1u swing on the total, but oh well. Better luck next week.

I feel you on missing teams one week afterwards or something..keep going bro..onto next week

Back