s--k's plays week 3

s--k

Goodbye to Romance College Football
Alright, I've only had time to comment in some other threads so far, but this week looks pretty clear for me to spend more time online.

First of all, I'm posting my own thread really just to contribute to the overall discussion of the forum, not because I think I am a good capper. Actually I'd call myself more of a fan who bets rather than a handicapper. Sometimes I make money, sometimes I lose; it is the chase and the excitement is what I'm really after. My first bet was 1995 and it pushed, but the adrenaline of the moment hooked me. I started posting on this site 2 years ago with posted plays of mixed results (all prior posts lost in the '12 crash). Last year I lost around 7u in college, but I won 7u on my future wagers to break even. So far this year in college I'm 25-21 and -.7u.

I only have a local and can't play anything until 30 min before first game of day.

That's the background, now here is what I'm looking at this week (lines current, I'll have to update my actual lines):

Probable Plays:
Indiana -2'
Boston College +14
UCF +6
WKU -10
FAU +13
ISU +2'
Az St -4'

Leans/unknown:
Marsh -7
NIU -27'
Bama (if below 7)
Mary -7'
Air Force +24
Vandy +14

There are a few others that if the lines keep moving I might take a stab. I will update the games I take when I call them in.

Things will shake out throughout the week and I will post some reasoning as well.

Edit - The actual plays, you can see from above what made the cut, what was scratched and some new considerations. Copied from within this thread to here:

Again, I can't call anything in for 30 minutes yet. But here is what is shaping up like. I might update actual lines or the possible plays, but once the games start we get pretty into it. So I'm not as concerned about having accurate w/l record, hopefully I just have bunches of fun today win, lose or draw.

$1.5u
Indiana -2'

$1u
ECU +8’
BC +14
Iowa State +2
UCF +5
FAU +13
WKU -8
Arz St -4

Still under consideration ~ line movement depending (most or all would be .5u plays)
Maryland
North Tex
Auburn
Cal
ND
UTEP
Ore St

I might consider FAU ML later. Would rather just play ECU with the pts, I'll be excited if they win outright anyway, I love upsets.

week 3, Thursday (-1.65u):
TCU -3 -1.1u
LT O 61 -5.5u
2013 future plays

Last edited:
glad to see you start a thread. Your posts are among the best in the cfb forum. gl week 3. I am considering Indiana as well so if I could get your thoughts there it would benefit me a lot I think.

Boston College

This is partially a fade USC play and also a buy-in BC play. Not that I buy-in all that much to BC, but Addazio has created a good vibe there and has them prepared to play over their heads it would appear.

USC offense has been putrid with QBs going 26 of 50 with a 1-3 ratio. USC was sacked 3x by Haw and hurried 3 other times (allowed 4 sacks on year) and BC has 6 sacks which EQUALS their entire total of 2012! These 6 sacks have come on just 62 dropbacks (about 10%) This is going to be the best front 7 that USC has faced and they can bring pressure, something that won't help QBs who are struggling. USC's ground game is where SC has been most effective and BC did allow 197y to 'Nova, although 47 of those were on a fake punt and another 94 of those came from a dual-threat QB something USC doesn't offer much of. The BC D is a veteran unit that appears to be much improved over a poor 2012 unit.

USC D is stout, there is no denying that. They are very difficult to sustain drive against and lead the ncaa in sacks (11 on 90 drop backs), which as a sack-to-dropback ratio is about the same as BC's sacks. The key for BC is to be efficient. They do have a 4 yr starting QB in Rettig. He's never been really good though, and wasn't asked to do a whole lot last week as they leaned on Andre Williams to carry the mail. Rettig is 30 of 44 with 4-1 ratio and 408y this year vs not the greatest competition. Williams is the focal point of what BC wants to do. Coming into the WF game he was questionable with a hamstring, but he carried 35 for 204 in that game. A healthy Williams makes this offense much better than 2012...in two games Williams has rushed for 318 while last year he only managed 599 due to injuries. The go-to-guy in the passing game is Amidon who has triple the receptions of the #2 and was more than double the #2 last season.

What's the OL look like? 3 returning starters have 61 career starts between them, the two new starters are Williams at G with 3 career starts and 5 games (inj'd 2012) and Matt Patchan at LT is a Fla trans who started 7 games in '11 (no action 2012). It is an all upperclasman group and they'll need to be at the top of their game Saturday.

BC FG kicking is in good hands with 4 year K Freese (51 of 62 career and 19 of 21 last 2 years). You never know what Kiffin will do on 4th down, but Heidari was only 10 of 16 last year and is 3 of 5 this season.

I didn't come into this season liking BC all that much, but they do look like a much different team this season. The whole 'be a dude' attitude and Addazio's influence has been a big improvement. This is a huge game for them, they have a bye on deck.

USC, what can you say about them, we've all seen it. You watch a guy like Marqise Lee on the field and I don't see leadership, I see disappointment. His body language shows discouragement.

The defense for USC is going to be tough and Rettig must take care of the ball, but looking at what USC has put on the field offensively and the direction these two teams appear to be going I like BC. Be a dude!

Good stuff s-k....I was thinking BC out of the box, but thinking mostly because Kiffin burned my ass so bad from that embarassing performance saturday night...that said, I am just going to let it go, but do hope you cahs.

GL this week.

glad to see you start a thread. Your posts are among the best in the cfb forum. gl week 3. I am considering Indiana as well so if I could get your thoughts there it would benefit me a lot I think.

Thanks Kyle. I want to get some press conference news on the IU-BG game. Indiana and N Texas are probably the next two I'm going to get into.

Good stuff s-k....I was thinking BC out of the box, but thinking mostly because Kiffin burned my ass so bad from that embarassing performance saturday night...that said, I am just going to let it go, but do hope you cahs.

GL this week.

Thanks. Yeah, I can see some ways that USC wins that game by 20, but until they prove that they can play in that fashion I feel better going against them. Hawaii is a bad team and Wash St is improving, but still not exactly the kind of team USC should struggle with, let alone lose to. I'm picturing the locker rooms and practice fields that Addazio is seeing and what Kiffin is seeing and I think BC really wants it. They sucked last year and they don't want to suck anymore, Addazio has breathed life into the team, something I didn't expect he would do. BC hasn't been really great so far this year, but it would appear you don't have to be really great to beat USC and Trojans are still giving 2 TDs away. It basically comes down to Rettig and how much faith anybody has in him to not lose the game vs the USC D.

Indiana

The day after IU and BGSU's wins we were talking in Marsski's thread about the BGSU D and how we thought they would come down to earth vs a good passing team and I hoped for some line value come the IU game. Well that time is upon us. I don't make lines, I have no power ratings or anything, but for what it is worth I do guess all the lines Sunday afternoon, usually I'm pretty close. I guessed this one at 7 and was shocked to see it below 3.

Taking a look at the Bowling Green Defense

BG does have a good defense, by most statistical standards the best in the MAC last season and off to a very good start again this season. BUT, we must read deeper at the quality offenses they face. Here is their D vs the good 2012 teams:

Toledo - 452 TY, 21 of 29 - 322 PY, 130 RY (3.3), 22 FD
San Jose St - 380 TY, 33 of 43 - 395 PY, -15 RY (-.7), 19 FD

was Idaho a good offensive team, well anyway:
Idaho - 358 TY, 30 of 38 - 352 PY, 6 RY (.3), 17 FD

That is 84% completions vs those 3 teams and bunches of yards.

Kent was an unbalanced team and I'm mostly highlighting good teams in terms of pass offenses, but for good measure let's consider the 334 rushing yards Kent racked up on them last year!

Sure BG was a good D last year, just depends what opponents they were playing.

On average BG faced the 72nd best passing offenses (ncaa rank in terms of pass ypg), and just the 83rd best pass eff O on avg faced regular season.

BG's D numbers are skewed by high number of very poor offenses faced.

But that was last year. 2013 BG's D made a statement week 1 vs Tulsa. I don't know about you, but I have never been impressed by Cody Green, I'll call him inconsistent at best. He did only complete 17 of 34 for 172. He looked awful, badly missing receivers with every kind of errant throw imaginable. To BG's credit he was under alot of pressure, but still he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn that night. BG also stuffed the run well, however, Trey Watts only had 4 attempts. He is such a weapon, I guess we'll never know what he might have done had Tulsa put him more into the gameplan because he should be a focal point of any Tulsa gameplan. Contrast to last week and Watts had 22 attempts.

Jump to week 2 for BG's D. As I commented in the misleading final thread, Kent St without Dri Archer and with Reardon, rFr QB making 2nd start, gave the BG D all they could handle in the first half. Kent racked up 252 yards and 22 pts in 1st half. Now, to BG's credit they did shut down the Kent O in the 2nd half, or was it the rFr QB hit a wall and couldn't respond to BG's adjustments? Reardon was 10 of 13 in the 1st half, but just 5 of 13 in the 2nd half. Might a more experienced QB and capable offense had better success? Last season's results vs such offenses would indicate yes.

The Indiana Offense

They start the dual-threat Roberson at QB for a 2-3 series each game this year, but he is relieved with Suffeld, which I believe is by plan, but could also be dictated to offensive production on the field or injury (heard Roberson got banged up week 1 before coming out).

Anyway, Suffeld appears to be Indiana's main QB. On the year Suffeld is completing 73% for 582y with a 8-2 ratio. Not very good competition you say? Sure, in his career he is still a 66% and 15-3 guy. He is coming off career highs vs Navy.

No IU QB has not been sacked this year in 73 pass attempts. Again, not great competition? Sure, but last year they led the Big Ten with only allowing 1 sack per 32 pass attempts. After BG's amazing 38 sacks last year, they only have 3 in two games this year (DT Jones and his 12.5 sacks are gone). The IU OL was expected to have 4 of 5 back, but lost Freeney in fall camp. I thought I saw Bernard Taylor down on the field vs Navy, but he is listed as the #1 LG in the latest depth chart and no mention of him today at the press conference (although no other injured players were discussed either).

IU has experienced and seasoned weapons all around. Wynn lit up Ind St out of the slot in week 1. Hughes did his damage last week vs Navy. TE Bolser has been excellent in both games catching 11-134 and 4 TDs. All Big Ten Latimer has been quite this year. But all those guys have played a ton and put up alot of numbers. Tevin Coleman has pushed Sr Houston out of the #1 RB spot because Wilson wants more physicality out of the run game. Coleman has alot of potential in this offense running and receiving and he has already had a good impact this year. Houston coming off the bench is a very very good back up.

Really this offense is loaded. But they don't just put up stats vs the weaklings. Last year vs Mich St 33-48-282 passing with 3-0 ratio (Coffman QB) and 481 total yards vs Ohio St, 478 total yards at Penn St. This offense can flat out get it done.

IU Defense and The Navy Game

We all know Indiana's defense is not good. Not at all. It can be horrible at times in fact. I'm not sure we can really gauge much from the Navy game or the Ind St game leaving us kind of grabbing at straws to see if this D has made any strides from 2012. They are still weakest at DT which really hurts vs Navy and they aren't great at CB either. Otherwise, I think they are solid at LB and S. All-in-all this isn't going to be a good Big Ten D and probably not even a decent Big Ten D. However, I see them better than an average MAC D and that is key here since they are taking on a MAC team not known for offensive firepower of late (although BG did post alot of pts and yards vs Kent). Last week vs Kent was BG's most yard on offense in quite some time. Is that the real O? They didn't look so hot vs Tulsa. Is the Kent D any good?

Most are going to point to the IU D as to why they lost vs Navy, but I can actually make a case IU's offense is what hurt them most. I don't know if anyone expected IU D to stop Navy very often. But IU O got off to a rough start. They wanted to establish the run and Navy absolutely clogged the middle. IU's first 3 drives resulted in a 3-and-out, 4-and-out and INT at the Navy 3 all of which resulted in a comfy 17-0 lead which vs a team like Navy is incredibly hard to overcome.

I actually love the fact that Indiana is off the Navy loss. Not only for the line value created, but also for the urgency is must have created for the Hoosiers. They are behind the 8 ball now in the quest for a bowl. With 8 home games and 4 extremely hard road games, Navy's margin of error now is just about zero at 1-1. The signifcance of this game is enormous and while the opponent isn't ideal, facing a MAC team is a pretty decent set up.

Oh yes, I know Ball State has beaten IU each of the last two seasons. However, I do think that Ball St is at a different level offensively with Wenning and company than BG's O. What BG lacks in O they make up for in D, which is skewed a little as I pointed out. I think this IU O has potential to be much better than the ones that lost to Ball St. In fact I think either Coffman or Suffeld were making their first start vs Ball last year as Roberson was out for year in week 2. And, the fact that Indiana has lost to a MAC team 2 years in a row can only serve to put Hoosers on notice and understand they can not for a minute be hanging their heads from the Navy loss.

I think it is a great spot for Indiana, a great line and an overrated opponent.

I am lookin at IU also....almost played em last week, but got off it(thankfully)

I do not recall, but you did have IU last week right(I remember talking to someone in their thread about it)

Anyways appreciate the writeup.....I look to play IU this year in spots for sure

GL this wk

I am lookin at IU also....almost played em last week, but got off it(thankfully)

I do not recall, but you did have IU last week right(I remember talking to someone in their thread about it)

Anyways appreciate the writeup.....I look to play IU this year in spots for sure

GL this wk

I took Navy for only .5u last week, something I just throw out there for the heck of it. Bloodhound was on Navy and we talked about it in his thread.

U know your shit. You see a 7 next to Marshall Saturday and you better be taking it...

I have not thought about that game at all. I would have liked to see Ohio play last week. Marshall's dominant win over Mia, Oh doesn't mean as much since UK absolutely crushed Mia as well. Is Marshall D much better this year?

Marshall was on my lean list, but I needed to find some justifications on it, which I haven't begun to do.

Some updates on BGSU's depth chart.

The DB depth did take a hit in fall camp with 19 game starting Jr CB Darrell Hunter possibly out the year with a wrist injury. Then Sophs DeVon McKoy (8 career starts) and Johnny Joseph (4 career games) left the team. This caused BG fans some uneasiness in August. I think they are ok at DB though, atleast the starting 4 DBs are good (CB Truss and S Gates are very good). Not sure who their nickel will be this week, depth chart only shows 4 DBs with 3 LBs. Hunter would have been their second best CB, so without him they might be down just a bit facing an offense that goes 3 wide just about all the time.

DE Charlie Walker is listed as starter although he didn't play at Kent (he was DE1 on that depth chart too). Walker is a good player for them, so not sure if he is in or out this week.

Also I read that highly regarded C 'Chief' Kekuewa injured his leg late vs Kent, although he is listed as starter on depth chart.

I haven't seen anything any IU players.

I'm likely either dropping North Texas completely or just taking it for .5u on a hunch.

I can't make much of a case to take them. The biggest (and perhaps only) issue for Ball St OL. They struggled some vs Ill St, but did improve as that game wore on and even if inexperienced as a group, they still had an edge over a small Army DL where they performed better than week 1. So while we don't know how the Ball St OL might fair vs some improved competition, it is still just North Texas we are talking about here so not a huge test. If the OL is a problem for BSU in this game, and they have a hard time running the ball and NT gets pressure on Wenning then I like NT's chances. If the BSU OL holds up in pass protection and opens running lanes then it is going to be extremely tough for NT. NT D can not allow a QB like Wenning time to just pick them apart.

One interesting tidbit I came across was that 2nd Tm Sun Belt CB Zac Whitfield is being replaced by Kenny Buyers (11 games 2012) this week. I have not seen the official depth chart yet, but what NT's personnel looks like vs Wenning and Co is pretty important.

On the BSU side of things, Ollie is playing like a 1st Tm MAC DT. DE Newsome did not play vs Army, I do not know his status this week. I think NT could have some success vs the BSU D, but it all really comes down to how the NT D fairs and I just can't envision what might happen there.

NT has pulled 3 home upsets out of 7 chances under McCarney and Ball St's road favorite roles have been close games (43-45, -2' @ Kent / 41-30, -3 @ C Mich / 30-22, -3' @ Army / 31-24, -7' @ Mia, Oh).

If I could get some more points or just want to take Mean Green on a Saturday whim I might play them for .5u still. But really Ball St deserves to be favored in this game.

BC update:

The Eagles lost the services of two key starters in the Wake Forest game in senior left tackle Matt Patchan (hip) and senior middle linebacker Steve Divitto (elbow). But Addazio said Patchan and Divitto are expected to play against this week. - See more at: http://bostonherald.com/sports/coll...to_show_off_for_la_crowd#sthash.zPlempAW.dpuf

Article linked above also mentions how BC coaches are viewing this game as a key to future recruiting in So Cal. Rettig is from So Cal.

We know Kiffin named Kessler the starter (18-for-32, 136 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 1 rushing TD). Neither QB is looked good, but Wittek is clearly the worse of the two, so no big shock Kiffin has gone with Kessler.

Both starting USC CBs were hurt vs Hawaii. Kevon Seymour returned last week, Anthony Brown did not. No update on Brown. USC does not have great depth at CB, it is really the only potential weakness they have on that defense.

BC will need to add some new wrinkles to get the ball away from the front 7, which means putting the game more in Rettig's hands. I still think Williams can produce vs USC D on the ground, but if the BC gameplan is to just let Williams carry them to a win they will be in bad shape. Hopefully the coaches are smarter than that.

Line down to 13', I can't bet until Saturday morning, don't know what the line will do. I'm pissed this game is on PAC 12 Network and more pissed that Directv and PAC 12 are still fighting each other.

CENTRAL FLORIDA

UCF comes into Happy Valley looking to win vs BCS conference team for 3rd time in last 15 games, having lost at Ohio St 16-31 (+18’) and home vs Mizzou 16-21 (-2).

It should be noted they faced Braxton Miller who ran the ball a season high 27 times for 160y who is a tough matchup for just about everybody. Vs James Franklin they were able to sack him 5x. They don’t face much of a mobile QB this week.

UCF Defense

It’s hard to take much from the 2013 games UCF has only beat Akron and FIU. UCF did lose the majority of their sacks from ‘12 and are breaking in some new starters. But they do have experience. First time starter and All CUSA Fr DE Deion Green plyaed in 12 last year and has 2 sacks this season. Also first time starter DT Demetris Anderson played in 12 games at WMU before transferring here. LB Troy Gray started 9 in 2011. So the new guys in the front 7 are not completely green.

UCF does have two new starters at CB. They are really high on rFr Jacoby Glenn, but admittedly he will have a big challenge this week. He has 3 pbus and 6 tkls already this year. Jordan Ozerities only started 4 career games (including 2 this year), but was all Frosh CUSA in 2011 and registered 6 tkls at Ohio St last year. Still the CB position is a little bit of an unknown commodity with two new full time starters. The safety position is solid, they shifted former CB starter Brandon Alexander to FS (led with 9 pbus ‘12) and Jr Clayton Geathers has started every game of his UCF career (was #2 tklr ‘12). About the move to safety Alexander said this in fall camp:

“I feel way more comfortable at safety,” Alexander said. “I can go back to corner, this is [coaches] moving pieces everywhere, and I feel [very] comfortable.”

That move has allowed UCF to get their best 4 DBs on the field.

For the new guys sprinkled in the DL, LB and DB there are 1-2 experienced and productive guys in each of those units as well.

UCF Offense

The OL is solid, but one potential concern is at LT. Torrian Wilson is 2x All CUSA and he was injured vs FIU, he tweated he was ok, but status is unknown officially. The OL would likely shift guys around without Wilson and every indication is the personnel is comfortable playing out of position, but naturally we’d like Wilson to be a go.

Bortles was a 63% – 3000y and 25-7 QB last year and even as a frosh he was 68% for about 1000y and 6-3. He hasn’t thrown an INT in 9 games. Last year vs tOSU and Mizzou he went 54 of 84 for 516y and a 4-1 ratio. He did struggle with compl % in two games vs Tulsa’s very good 2012 D, but he did have 3 TDs and 0 INTs in those games. Bortles won’t beat you with his legs, but he will run. He ran for 80y vs Ball in the bowl and ran for 60 in the ECU and one of the Tulsa games as well.

RB Storm Johnson pretty much has the job to himself this year after filling in for injured Murray last year. In 2012 Johnson ran for 75y (6.25) vs tOSU and also 93y (6.2) vs Mizzou. He hasn’t been asked to do a whole lot this year, but has carried for 188 (4.9) and 5 TDs.

UCF has receivers a plenty, they spread it around a bunch. Hall, Perriman, Worton, Godfrey (former QB) are all good WRs for them and last year they threw to RB Murray a good bit so I assume Johnson would be a guy to do that as well (4 rec on the year so far).

A Look at Penn State

Hackenberg’s start to the year has been good for a frosh. Kid is good, but it has been vs Syracuse and Eastern Michigan. He did go 22 of 31 – 278, 2-2 vs Cuse and then 22 of 33 – 311, 1-1 vs E Michigan. NW’s experienced QB tandem passed for 81% 375 yards and a 4-0 ratio and the Cats also racked up 581 total yards on the Orange, so we aren't talking all world defenses here. E Michigan is E Michigan, they aren’t good and rarely have been. So it is hard to give much credit for strong showings vs them. As expected with a tr fr QB, he has thrown 3 INTs (McGloin 5 INT all of 2012) and has been sacked 7x (PSU only allowed 1.75 sacks pg last year). We know he is good, but he is also learning and going to make mistakes. UCF D is a big step up for him.

PSU is RB by committee. O’Brien wasn’t happy with their production vs Cuse where Zwinak was given nearly all the carries, but last week they got Belton involved w/ 100y and rFr Lynch got over 100 too (albeit vs EM).

TEs were 3 of the top 5 receivers in 2012, but they’ve been banged up this year, so not much TE production in passing game. What can you say about Allen Robinson? He’s by far the best in the B1G and among the best in the nation. It’s mostly just Robinson and Felder, but several guys rotate in they throw to. TE Lehman is out for year.

It doesn’t sound like O’Brien is completely happy with his OL. I know O’Brien seems to like Smith at LT and Urschel is All Big Ten at RG. Howle at C has only started 3 career games and RT Gilliam was a TE last year, so 2 career starts on OL. They’ve given up 7 sacks vs Cuse and EMich so far and vs Cuse two leading RBs only rushed for 2.5 and 3.2 ypc. They improved the rushing production a lot last week, but again, it was just E Mich. Overall I'd say there is some cause for concern here for the Nits.

The Penn State D is something they will hang their hat on again. DE Barnes is a know All Big Ten commodity and DT Jones is having a real big impact this year, he’s got 18 tkls and 5 tfl so far. At LB they are optimistic to get Hull back this week and MLB Glenn Carson has been your typical Penn State MLB, very solid and consistent play. And Wartman is going to be a playmaker. The D has 5 sacks so far this year.

The area that the Penn St D can be had is the secondary, specifically CB. They moved Trevor Williams from WR to CB in the spring. He did have a key INT vs Cuse, but lacks much experience. The other CB, Jordan Lucas, is also starting for first time this year. They moved Amos to S. They appear solid at safety. The entire 2 deep at CB is Soph or true Fr, so if they go nickel not only will newbies Williams and Lucas be on the field, but the NB isn’t going to be bringing much experience to the plate either.

Conclusion

This is going to be a tough game, tough for both teams. UCF has enough on offense to really challenge Penn St D in a way they are not typically tested outside of the top of the Big Ten. UCF is going to come in here and compete just as well as a team like Wisconsin or Nebraska would in my mind. They certainly have a chance at the win. How they handle the PSU front 7 is going to be, but I think they can run the ball a bit on them. Syracuse is not a good running team and EM isn’t going to run on anybody from the Big Ten. So the rush D stats are skewed a little there. Penn State certainly looks vulnerable in the secondary and UCF has an experienced QB and WRs to exploit it.

For UCF D to have success they need to confuse Hackenberg and keep having him make some mistakes. At the rate that Penn St is allowing sacks, along with the INTs he has thrown coupled with UCF’s reputation on D that would seem possible. UCF held Marshall to their 2nd lowest yardage output last year and also shut down Ball St in the bowl. Not apples-to-apples to a team like PSU, but UCF has always been capable of playing good D, let’s hope it happens again.

Penn St has started each game this year very slow. Last week vs EM they did a majority of their damage late 3rd and 4th qrts when the EM D had no gas left.

I’d rather get a full TD here, but I think 6 is still good value on UCF (I can't bet until Sat morning though). PSU homefield advantage is something, but the games are still not sell outs, atleast there were a lot of empty seats last week, it was just E Mich. I doubt that a team like UCF will be reason enough to get it substantially fuller than last week. UCF has played in a packed house in Columbus. They should be ready.

BC update:

Article linked above also mentions how BC coaches are viewing this game as a key to future recruiting in So Cal. Rettig is from So Cal.

We know Kiffin named Kessler the starter (18-for-32, 136 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 1 rushing TD). Neither QB is looked good, but Wittek is clearly the worse of the two, so no big shock Kiffin has gone with Kessler.

Both starting USC CBs were hurt vs Hawaii. Kevon Seymour returned last week, Anthony Brown did not. No update on Brown. USC does not have great depth at CB, it is really the only potential weakness they have on that defense.

BC will need to add some new wrinkles to get the ball away from the front 7, which means putting the game more in Rettig's hands. I still think Williams can produce vs USC D on the ground, but if the BC gameplan is to just let Williams carry them to a win they will be in bad shape. Hopefully the coaches are smarter than that.

Line down to 13', I can't bet until Saturday morning, don't know what the line will do. I'm pissed this game is on PAC 12 Network and more pissed that Directv and PAC 12 are still fighting each other.

Yes!! This fucking DTV and PAC12 Network bullshit has me fired up. I'm missing good games because of this fucking bullshit.

Great thread, BOL :shake:

Thanks.

Yes!! This fucking DTV and PAC12 Network bullshit has me fired up. I'm missing good games because of this fucking bullshit.

I've been bitching about this for 2 years with them. I'm sure when I call or email now there must be a flag that comes up.

The thing they have never understood is that while PAC 12 Network has made some games available that never otherwise would have nationally (like the matchups vs the FCS teams that few people are concerned with); we've also lost games that in years past would have been available on regional Fox Sports or Versus/NBC Sports. Nevada and UCLA would have been on Fox Sports West 1 or 2 before, so would have San Jose and Stanford. BC and USC would probably have been on Versus/NBC Sports before. But because they are stuck in their pissing match we lose out on the available numbers of games we had pre-PAC 12 Network. This and the damn Gameplan package is still not in HD even though those games are broadcast in HD in the markets they are intended for, but the games on the 770-channels are shown standard def still. It's really not worth the $120 or so they get for that package anymore.

Great thread s-k really enjoy reading your take on things. I am particularly interested in Ball St./NT this week. Still mad at myself for really not loading up on them last wk vs. Army. BOL on the week.

Just a couple of quick thoughts on Iowa:

First of all, I see no shame in them losing to NIU.

In fact, we were discussing this game in teedub’s thread and I ended up playing NIU for .5u. In the end I can say I actually came away impressed with Iowa more than NIU. The edges aren't significant, but they had more FDs, more total yards, more rushing yards (19 fewer passing yards) and a better rushing ypc, better passing ypc and ypa, better yard per play, better 3rd down %, slightly more TOP, 2 TDs on 3 RZ trips (NIU 0-2 TDs on RZ trips), fewer penalties, and similar compl %. They got 6 tfl (NIU O) They did however lose the TO battle 1-3, -2 in TOs and the final one cost them the game as we know. And NIU converted a huge fake punt which eventually led to a short FG.

Speaking for myself here, I thought Iowa would struggle to run the ball, stretch the field and sustain drives and on the other side I figured that Lynch would have his way with Hawkeye D and none of that materialized much. I would have also expected more big plays from NIU, but Iowa came through there as well. NIU had 15 plays of 10+ yards, Iowa had 14. NIU had 5 plays of 20+ yards, Iowa had 3. NIU had 3 plays of 30+ yards and Iowa also had 3. So at the end of the day, it is a loss for Iowa and their players, coaches and most fans won't care how close they were to this or that or what the stat sheet looked like, but I come away surprised by them.

Second, on the Mizzou State game, here is what I posted in the misleading final thread:
Iowa had a 500 – 200 total yard edge and 25 – 12 FD edge over Mizz St, but only won by 28-14. Miz St had got a 28y pick-6 and Iowa also missed a FG from the 15 and was stopped on downs at the 2. It was 21-0 at one point in the 4th quarter. Iowa did have 11 penalties for 100 yards.

Here is what Phil Steele had in his news and notes:
Iowa appeared to have all kinds of trouble with Missouri St despite being favored by nearly 4 td’s. Ten seconds turned this into a close one. Iowa had a 25-12 FD edge and 489-197 yd edge. Iowa missed a 33 yd FG in the 2Q and despite a 204-67 yd edge, led just 7-0. They were SOD at the MS2 but still led 21-0 after 3Q’s. Missouri St on 4th&5 got a FD and 2pl later a 27 yd td pass. On the next play Iowa QB Rudock threw an interception which was returned 28 yds for a td and stunningly 21-0 turned into 21-14. Iowa answered immediately with a 65/10pl drive for a td. Missouri St did get to the Iowa 14 but was intercepted in the EZ with 6:50 left and Iowa finished with a 489-197 yd edge.

So that makes just a 14 pt win over a team that won combined 5 games last 2 years into a little perspective.

I had actually been getting some cold feet on Iowa.

Situationally I think if favors ISU alot, they are off a loss to UNI- bye - Iowa - bye. ISU needs this game. Sure Kirk and Hawks do badly as well, but 0-1 into the bye and the prospect of going into next week's bye 0-2 would be devastating and a really shitty taste in their mouth all the way until Sept 26th. Not only is Iowa coming to Jack Trice, but the situation I think provides extra emphasis this week for ISU.

This and Iowa has not been great on either the OL or DL. I'll have to take a harder look into ISU as I did not see any of the Northern Iowa game, but I will say that on the surface, just like Iowa losing to NIU, I don't see much shame in losing to Northern Iowa either.

Great thread s-k really enjoy reading your take on things. I am particularly interested in Ball St./NT this week. Still mad at myself for really not loading up on them last wk vs. Army. BOL on the week.

GL this week

Thanks guys. Having fun. It is the process of thinking about the matchups that I enjoy almost as much as watching them.

Good thoughts and enjoyable read. Thanks for taking time to post!!

It is the process of thinking about the matchups that I enjoy almost as much as watching them.
:shake:

BOL on them All s-k

Thursday Night:

I am never especially good at picking these games unless I see a game early in the week that I really like. It just usually ends up that the week night games aren’t games I feel especially good about or generally have no opinion on, but more often than not I want some action somewhere so I fumble around and pick something.

Tulane / La Tech

I guess I like the Over in Tulane/LT. I knew LT would be young, but damn, I count 6 atop the defensive depth chart that made their first career start 2 games ago and a 7th (LB Cobb) was making his first start since ‘11 when he was at Tex Tech.

Both offenses figure to move the ball, especially with some really good RBs, although the QBs are still finding their way – both making their debuts with respective teams this season.

After liking LT earlier, I just don’t see much to make me feel good about having them win by more than a TD. And can’t trust Tulane to hang within a TD either.

I’ll play over Tulane/LT for .5u.

I’m going to take TCU for probably 1u. I'll update after I call in.

TCU

I don’t see the game vs SE La as such a big deal. They didn’t post a lot of points, the drives broke down like this:

1 – Pachall sacked on 2nd and 7, creating 3rd and 15 – they punt
2 – they take over after a fum, gain 1 FD, then are SOD 4th&3 (inc pass) at the SE La 21
3 – 50y TD drive w/ three 1st downs
4 – Pachall sacked again creating 3rd and long – they punt
5 – get 1st down (penalty) then Pachall throws 2 inc passes – they punt
6 – 60y drive TD drive
7 – Pachall out, Boykin in...56y FG drive
halftime 17 pts
8 - 57y TD drive
9 – 44y TD drive (after getting INT)
10 – 30y drive, holding creates 2nd & long, they eventually SOD at SE La 22
11 – 64y TD drive
12 – 3-and-out, punt
13 – 3-and-out, punt

When Boykin came in the game he led them on 4 out of 5 scoring drives and the other was a SOD at SE La 22. Pachall was sacked on two different drives that put them in long yardage which killed drives. Would Boykin had been sacked there? I don’t know.

I do not think their performance vs SE La was all that alarming especially when you consider that Frogs were just off the huge game vs LSU. SE La’s O only had 4 drives over 40 yards and just two drives over 45 yards, with 8 of their drives being single digit play count and then punt, TO, or end of game.

Last year vs TT

Looking back to last season vs TTech, Boykin threw for a career high 332 and 4 TDs (2 of the TDs were in OT)(was back-to-back 4 TD games for him - and a 1st in TCU history!). Frogs also ran for 184y (4.4) on TT in that game.

It should also be noted that TCU had 7 more FDs, 127 more yards and 20 more plays than TT, but TCU was -3 TOs

Outlook

TCU does have 3 soph starters on OL and just 2 upperclassmen, but soph Collins has started every game of his career and the other two atleast played as true fr last year, with one start between them.

On defense TCU got back Devonte Fields in the 2nd half of last week's game; Fields was ofcourse the Big 12 DPOY last year (10 sacks, 18 tfl). And their CB tandem of White and Verrett are very good. In the secondary the 5 starters combine for 85 career starts.

Texas Tech has allowed 4 sacks this season, vs not the greatest competition (SMU's sack production is almost entirely gone from 2012). TCU was able to sack Mettenberger twice (although with CB blitzes, not front 6 players - but Fields was susp that game).

Quick note on TT -
-RG Carpenter missed last week's game (2012 ret str), he may or may not be a go this week.
-QB Baker Mayfield supposedly had wanted to go to TCU, walked on at Texas Tech.
- TT sacked SMU 5x and SFA QB 0x = Gilbert just sucks.

I bet SMU vs TT week 1 and as I said in another threat, I came away disappointed with SMU more than I was impressed with TT.

Patterson vs Kingsberry...former walkon QB in 3rd start vs talented TCU D...TT is at home, at night national TV game...Boykin's experience and dual threat ability makes Pachall loss less damaging...TT coming out of this game 3-0 and TCU coming out 1-2 would be a surprising start for both teams...I'll take my chances on the road laying a small number with the team I perceive to be better with the coaching staff that is atleast more cohesion (if not also 'better') than TT; Frogs have 6 of 9 coordinators/position coaches all atleast 5+ years at TCU vs only 1 assistant remains on Kingsberry's staff from 2012 team.

Called in:

TCU -3 1u

Tul/LT O61 .5u
(worst number of the week I could get on that total)

Few thoughts on some remaining games I’ll likely take Saturday:

WKU – If WKU has their shit together then the S Ala D shouldn’t provide too much resistance and is a chance to step down in terms of speed and physicallness for Hilltoppers to face. It probably sets up better for WKU that S Ala is off a win for their own prep and focus this week or their could be let-down potential to play an 0-3 team after playing up to two SEC teams. There are actually positives to take away from the UT game despite all the TOs (Petrino said as much). Averaging 440 ypg on O is pretty good for a Sun Belt team vs two SEC Ds (even if just UK and UT) and that includes nearly 200 ypg on the ground (Andrews leads Sun Belt in rushing). And they’ve recorded more sacks (4) than they’ve allowed (3). S Ala has somewhat similar stats, but the competition level is not nearly similar. Better roster and better coaching along with conference opener (only Sun Belt game until Oct 3rd) makes this a game WKU gets.

FAU – most of have seen all or parts of Owls games vs Miami and ECU and one thing we know, they are playing defense. The offense is a little discouraging, but having faced some pretty good competition they should be pretty well prepared for what appears to be a bad USF team. USF struggled vs Mich St, as expected, with only two drives that move the chains 40 or more yards (40y and 43y drives), but they also only had three sustained drives of greater than 40y vs McNeese (who by the way dropped 53 on Taggart’s home debut. Sure USF D stifled Mich St O, but so did WMU D and they aren’t what you would call good. It’s a nice angle to take the team who can play D and is full of guys with chips on their shoulders when playing the bigger in state schools. Some might see this as a ‘get straight’ game for USF, but from what I’ve seen from FAU, USF is going to have to work pretty hard to get theirs here and they are giving nearly 2 TDs?

Iowa State – Totally flipped on this game. I really like the situation for ISU as I think I mentioned before. They are off a disappointing loss to instate UNI, had a bye, now face another instate rival (which happens to be THE game on their schedule) and they get them at home and have another bye next week. If I can get a full FG here I am on it, and might be on it even at 2’.

Iowa is a better team this year. They are moving the ball on offense, which is an upgrade over last year. They still are not converting those drives into points however and Greg Davis is still their OC. Iowa is doing a couple different things to stretch the field this year (see #22 Damond Powell). Roduck also has 3 INTs on the year, one blew their shot at beating NIU and another was a pick 6 for Mizz St last week. Iowa is also not getting to opposing QBs. Which they are normally not a good sacking team (B1G low 13 last year) and so far this year they have just 1. Sacking NIU’s Lynch is tough so maybe I give them a pass, but only 1 vs Mizz St. The truth is Iowa is not owning the line of scrimmage on O or D and if Iowa can’t win in the trenches they aren’t going to win too many games. I read things from people who know Iowa football more than I do like:

I think Alvis [a Sr DE] has been better in two games than he was last season. He still lacks physical abilities, namely foot speed

And

Desmond King [Fr CB] is the first true freshman to start since James Morris. I think he looks like a true freshman out there

Last week we saw Iowa in cover-2 when the ball went deep and John Lowdermilk [Jr SS] failed to get back. This week, King had no help on the play. He bites on the nice double move and it's an easy six for Missouri State

And another:

Mr. Vint already identified two key weakness areas for Iowa State: the secondary and offensive line. Those don't necessarily help Iowa as much as one would hope, as the Iowa defensive line is—let's be polite—"developing," and a Greg Davis offense is much too dignified to attack the opposing secondary deep more than twice a game.

Credit to Black Heart Gold Pants on the quotes. If you want more just go read their stuff.

I honestly don’t know squat about ISU yet other than the situation they find themselves in. That, and I think you have to respect Paul Rhodes ability to steal some big ones and he has won back-to-back vs the Hawks (all as underdog). I still need to get into Cyclone side of things. I’m basically trying to talk myself into Iowa State which doesn’t always work (see TCU Thursday night). But I want to bet this game so this is how I work it.

Arz St – Hard to really tell much from Sun Devils and Badgers games so far. I had been looking toward playing ASU in this game prior to the season, not expecting to learn much from weeks 1-2 on either team. One interesting bonus for ASU is that they face Wisconsin and Stanford back-to-back weeks so their game planning for one game can help the other. Wisconsin and Stanford played in ‘12 Rose Bowl and both are variations of 2 TE power running offenses.

Last year ASU only beat 1 team with a winning record (Arz), but many are expecting bigger things from them this year. ASU hasn’t historically been good as stopping teams who want to run and Wisconsin certainly likes to run. And Badgers D can give up the yards too vs spread teams.

One interesting note is that both defenses are typically 30 fronts, or 3 down linemen with 4 backers, one LB typically rushing the passer from a disguised position. Since that is their base D the OLs will be familiar having practiced against it. Both offenses also have been known to feature TEs as well.

There are a lot of similarities between the teams, but one difference is that Badgers do not face any teams by memory that run up tempo. They can simulate it in practice, but they have no game experience against it unless you go back to the 2011 Rose Bowl vs Ducks, which is some film the ASU coaches may be consulting (UW gave up 621 yards, but that was the Ducks we are talking about). An uptempo offense assuming they are converting 1st downs with some regularity, coupled with desert heat and late temps do put UW at a disadvantage. I don’t want to make it a huge ASU edge, but it is an edge none-the-less.

One of Erickson’s underachieving Sun Devil teams, went into Camp Randall as a 12 pt dog and nearly pulled the upset only losing by 1 to the eventual Rose Bowl bound Badgers.

Simply put, this is a game I want to have action on and with the line in the 4 neighborhood my play is Devils. If Az St's offense can stay on the field I think they can wear out the Badgers. I've actually watched a good bit of UW's blowouts vs UMass and Tenn Tech and they faced some really bad QBs in those games, passes down field not even close to catchable. Huge step up for their D here to face not only an offense with a pulse, but one that can pound and stretch the field. Side note, Wisconsin is dogged to an unranked team and based on data available are a VERY heavy public dog if you are into those types of things

TCU wasn't a bad play bro.. I feel sorta lucky winning with TT. TCU just has no identity on offense.. Peterson is a great defensive mind but they are sorta lost on the offensive side of the ball. Team is in trouble IMO.

TCU wasn't a bad play bro.. I feel sorta lucky winning with TT. TCU just has no identity on offense.. Peterson is a great defensive mind but they are sorta lost on the offensive side of the ball. Team is in trouble IMO.

TCU offense just had nothing 1st half, they were lucky to be down just 10-0 halftime. TCU was sloppy with tackling and out of position too at times when on D.

Got to give credit to TT D. Was kind of a tale of two halves with TT struggling 1.5 qrts in 2nd half while TCU got it going (finally). Strange game, alot of strange stuff. But right team won. TCU didn't have enough, they didn't play their best, I agree they are in trouble. I talked myself into going from a likely .5u play to the full unit after looking into it. TCU is still the better team I think, but it didn't work that way on the field tonight.

Didn't expect LT O to struggle at home. They blew some chances, but it wouldn't have mattered for the total. Tulane blew a chance or two of their own. Atleast I didn't play LT as well.

No biggie. Win some lose some, try to enjoy the games for what they are either way.

Appreciate your input on games.. :)

hell of a thread

THIS.

Great write-ups on IU and BC(what I have gotten through so far...)

Appreciate all your feedback.

I'm just enjoying contributing to the forum. Not sure that lengthy writeups equal wins, but it's just information for people to digest and evaluate as they wish. I don't mind disagreement either if anyone wants to go there.

A few additional thoughts to last nights comments:

FAU

As bad as FAU's QB situation has been, if possible, it may be worse at USF. Bobby Eveld is completing just 35% for 203y with a 2-1 ratio!! FAU QBs by comparison are completing 54% for 295y but with a 1-2 ratio. USF fans hate their QB and are unsure if anyone else on the team is actually better! FAU's maligned offense is also better at converting 3rd downs, 35% vs 15%.

One bright spot for USF vs Michigan St's elite D was RB Shaw who ran for 94y on 23 att (239 ry on season).

FAU to end QB rotation – Jacques Johnson likely to start vs USF and QB position will be evaluated at halftime. OC said that even though Hankerson led a TD drive vs ECU 2nd and 3rd teamers, his play was “very disappointing” overall in the words of the OC. The hope in going with 1 QB is they get some rhythm and flow with the play calling. FAU has rotated QBs play-by-play or series-by-series in both games this year.

After a decent OL showing vs Miami, they took some steps back vs ECU. Given up 11 sacks on the season, some where QBs scrambled into sacks. USF D has only 1 sack on the season and allowed 180 and 171 RY vs McNesse and Mich St (4.39).

FAU feels very good about their CB tandem. CB DJ Smith leads CUSA with 5 pbus (t-2nd nation) and Keith Reaser has been said to be NFL potential (although playing with broken finger since game 1). With such awful QB play from USF, FAU will have to put the CBs on an island and sell out to stop the run.

Iowa State

ISU has had 13 days to prepare. They also get back their best DB, Sr Jansen Watson, who was susp vs UNI for team rules. 14 combined pbu/pdef 2012. This is a key addition for ISU's lineup this week. Another addition to the starting lineup is rfr Luke Knott at LB (brother of departed 1st tm Big 12 Jake Knott). He was put into the game in 2nd qrt due to subpar play at the position immediately provided a boost and finished with 6 tkl and pbu.

ISU does lose C Tom Farniok (27 starts) for an unknown amount of time. While the right side of the line is strong, the left and now C, is largely inexperienced. Iowa's DL isn't great however, but if they blitz (which Iowa doesn't do alot of) the OL will have to recognize and react. This could be an issue.

I like the overall offensive potential of ISU both running and passing. How ISU's OL performs and on defense what success they can handle Iowa's rushing attack will determine who wins. Last year’s game was a statistical toss-up, although in RZ 5x ISU only got TD, FG and 3 TOs, and they still won by 3!

I just can't pass on the home dog in a late day kick vs instate rivalry game sandwiched with byes against a team they are atleast even with across the board. Go Cyclones!

Again, I can't call anything in for 30 minutes yet. But here is what is shaping up like. I might update actual lines or the possible plays, but once the games start we get pretty into it. So I'm not as concerned about having accurate w/l record, hopefully I just have bunches of fun today win, lose or draw.

$1.5u
Indiana -2'

$1u
ECU +8’
BC +14
Iowa State +2
UCF +5
FAU +13
WKU -8
Arz St -4

Still under consideration ~ line movement depending (most or all would be .5u plays)
Maryland
North Tex
Auburn
Cal
ND
UTEP
Ore St

I might consider FAU ML later. Would rather just play ECU with the pts, I'll be excited if they win outright anyway, I love upsets.

Unfortunately I did not take the FAU ML. But I also got cold feet on Arz St as I waited to play and line went to 6. And I upgraded Ore St from .5u to 1u. I also scratched Aub and Cal which would have been losers. So it looked like this.

$1.5u +1.5u
Indiana -2' - W

$1u +.7u
ECU +8’ - W
BC +14 - L
Iowa State +2 - L
UCF +4' - W
FAU +12' - W
WKU -7 - L
Ore St +4 - W

$.5u +.4u
Maryland -6 - W
North Tex +3' - W
Auburn, did not play
Cal, did not play
ND -18 - L
UTEP -3' - W
Arz St -6 - L

+2.6u Total

I sometimes go 2u and Indiana was almost that, no regrets, I'm glad I had it as my big play. I really felt like BG was a mirage and basically had this game circled since week 1. Could have been worse for BG, IU was in the RZ 3x 1st qrt and only got 1 TD. BG did not score an offensive TD (only score on blk'd punt).

ECU was a game I could not shake all week. I didn't have any justification in taking them, but I love teams in situations like theirs. I'm mostly a dog player and mostly root for upsets. That and VT is VT, we know them by now, they aren't the VT of old and Logan Thomas is a poor QB. VT greatly helped me with missed FGs and x-pt (like I said somewhere about this game - VT doesn't win games anymore with Beamer ball, they often lose them on special teams, atleast ATS in this game). ECU did help VT out some bad TOs as well.

I knew what I was getting into with BC. It was purely a momentum play on BC and against USC and I knew that if USC got their shit straight it was not a game BC could trade scores in. USC got their shit straight.

The ISU game was not as close as the final. Iowa owned them all game. No regrets, I wanted ISU in this game and pretty much looked for reasons to play them. I guess I feel I should have made it a .5u game, but .5u aren't as exciting and I was hoping for exciting in that game. Should have known, Iowa + Iowa St = the opposite of exciting.

UCF was an outstanding win.

FAU was an outstanding win.

I did not see any WKU game, but I am disappointed with that one.

Ore St was a team that I had wanted to play it was scheduled to be a .5u, but when I lost the good number on ASU I downgraded them and upgraded Ore St for no other reason then they were on TV.

Maryland I was worried about. The line movement didn't worry me, I'm happy to lay only 6 instead of 7 and I rarely psych myself out when lines move in my favor. My fear was UConn in desperation mode situationally vs a Mary team that had not been challenged yet. I wanted to play if for $1, but just would be been too pissed had it lost. I saw none of this game.

North Texas was another game I just could not shake all week. When I posted about it earlier I had no good reason to take them against Ball St, yet I think I ended that post saying I might still take them. Ball St was and is the better team, they hurt themselves with TOs, although NT didn't do much with them, but it still prevented the score from getting out of hand and NT played a good 2nd half. Bottom line, the better team lost and I was just lucky which I will take of course.

I wanted to lay less pts with Auburn and get more with Cal, it didn't go that way so I scratched them, which worked out well.

ND should have rolled Purdue (is what I thought), but ND isn't very good. I already marked it a loss at halftime, yet ND seemed like they could maybe cover up by 14 with entire 4th qrt left. But Purdue hit some big 4th downs and ND just sucks balls pretty much.

I had no idea why I liked this game other than I thought UTEP had a lot of offensive potential and would play better with a game under their belt. It worked out.

Az St was a game I wanted to like, although if you read my post about it, the only reason I had was that Az St's uptempo would wear Wisky out and the QBs Wisky faced were bad. Az St really didn't play fast offensively and Wisky still didn't face good QB play in this game. One thing Devils did do was run a ton of plays, maybe double the Badgers, but Badgers held up well until Az St's then covering TD drive late in the 4th it looked like it might be. Actually, I was very unimpressed with Az St offensively and I thought on D they could really lock down a team like Wisky and they didn't. I did not show Wisky the respect they deserve and Az St is pretty overrated after seeing them in one game (many were calling for them to win division this year - I didn't see that last night).

Finally, perhaps my biggest win of the day that was never talked about was Buffalo beating Stony Brook in multiple OT (a game goes to 4 OT and the winning team has just 26, ugh). I have a big play on Buff o5.5 wins and this game was key. I have no idea how it happened, but gladly will take the win. N Tex's win also helps me stay on schedule with that o5.5 win bet too.

Back