Ruoff Mortgage 500 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Ruoff Mortgage 500 Preview and Best Bet

NASCAR Cup Series: Ruoff Mortgage 500
Sunday, March 13, 2022 at 3:30 p.m. ET at Phoenix Raceway in Avondale, Arizona

Race Info

While last weekend's Pennzoil 400 arguably wasn't as chaotic as the slippery WISE Power 400, it was not short of drama.

Alex Bowman ended up collecting a rare win for himself, besting last year's champion, Kyle Larson, in the process.

We'll be sure to discount Bowman as a possible candidate to win this Sunday's race in Phoenix since it is hard and rare for anyone -- let alone Bowman -- to win back-to-back.

For this Sunday's racing event, drivers must complete a total of 312 laps.

As has always been the case this year, there will be three stages for this race.

Stage 1 consists in the first 75 laps. Stage 2 requires 115 more laps. Stage 3 concludes upon completion of the 312thlap.

The entry list for this race has been posted. There have been 36 teams/drivers listed out of a possible 40 spots.

So, barring any unforeseen events, we already know who will participate in this race.

As for the starting lineup, that gets determined by qualifying.

On Saturday, drivers will experience a practice session from 11:30 a.m. to 12:05 p.m. ET.

Thereafter, there will be a single-car, one-lap, two-round qualifier.

Track Info

The Phoenix Raceway is a tri-oval race track located in the vicinity of Phoenix.

Historically, this has been a racetrack where drivers have complained about the difficulty of passing their competitors.

But a different aero package and tire combination has assuaged this concern in recent renditions at this track.

This track is one-mile long. So, in completing 312 laps, drivers will have accumulated 312 miles.

Compared with other tracks on the NASCAR Cup Series circuit, the banking is comparatively low.

The start and finish straightaway is banked at three degrees.

There is, uniquely, a dogleg here that is banked at 10 degrees as is the straightaway from the dogleg to turn 1.

Turns 1 and 2 are banked progressively at 8-9 degrees. The backstretch is banked at three degrees and turns 3 and 4 are banked progressively at 10-11 degrees.

Drivers to Avoid

I recommend avoiding Martin Truex Jr.

He might be tempting to back because he is currently enjoying a high position in the points standings -- he is in second place behind defending champ Kyle Larson.

Moreover, you might want to invest in him given his last two races here.

However, never in his career has he earned more than two straight top-10 finishes at this track.

Truex Jr. is simply not a consistent performer in Phoenix.

Plus, overall, his numbers paint a bleak picture. His average finishing position is 14.97 in Phoenix, which is just over three spots behind his average starting position here.

While Denny Hamlin's history at this track shows stronger consistency and a higher ceiling here, he has been nothing short of awful this season. In 2022, he has yet to finish higher than 2022.

You can select either driver to finish ahead of the other in a head-to-head match-up opportunity posted at Bovada. But I would stay clear of this option.

Driver I Like

For Sunday's race, I like Kevin Harvick.

While his finishing positions haven't been anything like those in his amazing 2020 season, you have to consider where he's been starting.

He is moving up a lot of spots in his races. Plus, he's been trending upwards most recently.

Unlike Las Vegas, Phoenix is historically one of Harvick's favorite racing venues.

Harvick has amassed an absurd total of nine wins and 18th top-five finishes here.

No other driver has a remotely comparable history here.

And yet Harvick is cheap to invest in.

Best Bet: Harvick Top 5 Finish at +240 with Bovada

Ruoff Mortgage 500 Preview and Best Bet

NASCAR Cup Series: Ruoff Mortgage 500
Sunday, March 13, 2022 at 3:30 p.m. ET at Phoenix Raceway in Avondale, Arizona

Race Info

While last weekend's Pennzoil 400 arguably wasn't as chaotic as the slippery WISE Power 400, it was not short of drama.

Alex Bowman ended up collecting a rare win for himself, besting last year's champion, Kyle Larson, in the process.

We'll be sure to discount Bowman as a possible candidate to win this Sunday's race in Phoenix since it is hard and rare for anyone -- let alone Bowman -- to win back-to-back.

For this Sunday's racing event, drivers must complete a total of 312 laps.

As has always been the case this year, there will be three stages for this race.

Stage 1 consists in the first 75 laps. Stage 2 requires 115 more laps. Stage 3 concludes upon completion of the 312thlap.

The entry list for this race has been posted. There have been 36 teams/drivers listed out of a possible 40 spots.

So, barring any unforeseen events, we already know who will participate in this race.

As for the starting lineup, that gets determined by qualifying.

On Saturday, drivers will experience a practice session from 11:30 a.m. to 12:05 p.m. ET.

Thereafter, there will be a single-car, one-lap, two-round qualifier.

Track Info

The Phoenix Raceway is a tri-oval race track located in the vicinity of Phoenix.

Historically, this has been a racetrack where drivers have complained about the difficulty of passing their competitors.

But a different aero package and tire combination has assuaged this concern in recent renditions at this track.

This track is one-mile long. So, in completing 312 laps, drivers will have accumulated 312 miles.

Compared with other tracks on the NASCAR Cup Series circuit, the banking is comparatively low.

The start and finish straightaway is banked at three degrees.

There is, uniquely, a dogleg here that is banked at 10 degrees as is the straightaway from the dogleg to turn 1.

Turns 1 and 2 are banked progressively at 8-9 degrees. The backstretch is banked at three degrees and turns 3 and 4 are banked progressively at 10-11 degrees.

Drivers to Avoid

I recommend avoiding Martin Truex Jr.

He might be tempting to back because he is currently enjoying a high position in the points standings -- he is in second place behind defending champ Kyle Larson.

Moreover, you might want to invest in him given his last two races here.

However, never in his career has he earned more than two straight top-10 finishes at this track.

Truex Jr. is simply not a consistent performer in Phoenix.

Plus, overall, his numbers paint a bleak picture. His average finishing position is 14.97 in Phoenix, which is just over three spots behind his average starting position here.

While Denny Hamlin's history at this track shows stronger consistency and a higher ceiling here, he has been nothing short of awful this season. In 2022, he has yet to finish higher than 2022.

You can select either driver to finish ahead of the other in a head-to-head match-up opportunity posted at Bovada. But I would stay clear of this option.

Driver I Like

For Sunday's race, I like Kevin Harvick.

While his finishing positions haven't been anything like those in his amazing 2020 season, you have to consider where he's been starting.

He is moving up a lot of spots in his races. Plus, he's been trending upwards most recently.

Unlike Las Vegas, Phoenix is historically one of Harvick's favorite racing venues.

Harvick has amassed an absurd total of nine wins and 18th top-five finishes here.

No other driver has a remotely comparable history here.

And yet Harvick is cheap to invest in.

Best Bet: Harvick Top 5 Finish at +240 with Bovada
I think Hamlin will have extra motivation to redeem himself from his miss-shift last week that screwed his transmission and he put him out of the race.

Harvick Top 5 looks good. He is better than he was last year. He is -165 for Top 10, so I would rather bet Top 5 at +money

Almirola is -125 to Top 10 and +350 for Top 5. I will be interested in betting him in some way. Almirola is also -110 against Bowman, which looks interesting.

I think Hamlin will have extra motivation to redeem himself from his miss-shift last week that screwed his transmission and he put him out of the race.

Harvick Top 5 looks good. He is better than he was last year. He is -165 for Top 10, so I would rather bet Top 5 at +money

Almirola is -125 to Top 10 and +350 for Top 5. I will be interested in betting him in some way. Almirola is also -110 against Bowman, which looks interesting.
Almirola and Hamlin both qualified fast.

Harvick has 17 top 10 finishes in a row at Phoenix. Last 3 however were not top 5s.

The Stewart Hass cars seem to be faster this year with Briscoe and Almirola, but haven't seemed to translate to Harvick and Custer.

Almirola and Hamlin both qualified fast.
I did not bet Almirola before qualifying because I assumed he would qualify about 10th or so. Hopefully, the odds on Almirola will not change much and he is bettable.

Hamlin is on a mission this week after his fuck up last week. I don't know how bettable he will be.

Hamlin, Blaney, Larson, Byron, and maybe Almirola seem like the cars to beat.

Harvick has 17 top 10 finishes in a row at Phoenix. Last 3 however were not top 5s.

The Stewart Hass cars seem to be faster this year with Briscoe and Almirola, but haven't seemed to translate to Harvick and Custer.
Harvick has a steady and consistent car. I may just bet him in any matchup other than against Hamlin, Blaney, Larson, Byron, and Almirola.

Truex was only 20th in qualifying and 22nd in top 10 lap speed in practice. Maybe a fade but after I thought he was gonna be bad last week and he almost won and he has a good history at Phoenix, I am hesitant.

Reddick, Kyle Busch, Bell, and Eric Jones are among those with inspection failures and will lose pit selection spot which is normally based on qualifying. On a track like this where it is harder to come up through the field, it will matter somewhat tomorrow.

For the Xfinity race, I took:

Bayne -125 over Hemric (1 unit)

Gragson -120 over Allgaier (1 unit)

BM has Almirola at +2500, so I played $20 on him. I think Hamlin probably wins, but Larson is less likely to now since he is going to the back, which makes Almirola one of the next best handful of drivers/cars.

Hamlin is +750

For the Cup race I bet:

2 units:
Hamlin -120 over Chase
Almirola -150 over Keselowski

1 unit:
Hamlin -130 over Kyle Busch
Hamlin -130 over Logano
Almirola -155 over Kurt Busch

$20 Almirola to win at +2500

A lot of chalk.
I may add more.

For the Cup race I bet:

2 units:
Hamlin -120 over Chase

1 unit:
Hamlin -130 over Kyle Busch
Hamlin -130 over Logano

A lot of chalk.
I may add more.
I added more:

3 units:
Hamlin -120 over Chase

2 units:
Hamlin -123 over Kyle Busch
Harvick -115 over Bowman

1 unit:
Hamlin -130 over Logano
Hamlin -135 Truex
Almirola -120 over Bowman

So something will happen to Hamlin & Almirola since I am so heavy on them.

Also, there will be a competition caution at lap 25, which helps Larson who will start at the back and anyone else who may go to the back.

Last edited:
DK has Harvick -190 over Keselowski, Almirola at -150 is a much better bet, but I see he is up to -160 to -175 now, which is still better.

They also have Hamlin -115 over Chase, which I missed somehow as I bet him at -120 at another site.
They also have Hamlin -115 over Kyle Bush which is where I bet the last unit added.

Chastain to win Group D +300 on DK over Cindric, Kurt Busch, and Briscoe looks interesting
Almirola to win stage 1 at +1200 looks interesting, but I think the competition caution hurts him as he usually has a better long-run car.

I added more:

3 units:
Hamlin -120 over Chase

2 units:
Hamlin -123 over Kyle Busch
Harvick -115 over Bowman

1 unit:
Hamlin -130 over Logano
Hamlin -135 Truex
Almirola -120 over Bowman

So something will happen to Hamlin & Almirola since I am so heavy on them.

Also, there will be a competition caution at lap 25, which helps Larson who will start at the back and anyone else who may go to the back.
Finished -2.09 units for today and -.09 units for the weekend including the 2 Xfinity wins from yesterday. I also lost $20 on Almirola to win.

Read this race horribly.

I will stay away from betting on Toyotas until they show something. Although both Kurt and Kyle Busch both finished in the top 10.

Then Hamlin gets a gift from Elliott and still lets him pass him on the last corner. Terrible.
Yeah, I went from somehow winning money today to losing because of that. I wonder to Hamlin let up due to Dillon wrecking in front of him or it was just new tires on Elliott's car.

Yeah, I went from somehow winning money today to losing because of that. I wonder to Hamlin let up due to Dillon wrecking in front of him or it was just new tires on Elliott's car.
They showed one replay and it was hard to tell. Probably a combination of both.

Back