Royals/Rays, White Sox/Guardians, Cardinals/Diamondbacks Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
MLB Parlay for Today at (+924) Includes Two Division Leaders

Kansas City Royals vs. Tampa Bay Rays
Saturday, August 20, 2022 at 4:10 p.m. ET at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida

Who Starts for Kansas City?

Kris Bubic starts for Kansas City today.

Bettors may have been inclined to dismiss Bubic from their list of prospective pitchers to trust after his start to the season.

His start to the season was absurdly bad, and, because ERA is a season-long statistic, his current ERA still largely reflects that 10.50 March/April ERA and 33.75 May ERA.

At the end of the first half of the season, Bubic's ERA was 5.87.

But he has become a different, vastly improved pitcher in the second half of the season.

In this second half, his ERA is 3.56.

Bubic's most recent stretch of starts reflects how well he is pitching right at this moment.

His positive form is evident in the fact that he's yielded a sub-2.60 FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding) in each of his last three starts.

Bubic vs. Ray Batters

Today, Bubic merits optimism also because he is pitching during the day.

His daytime numbers are considerably stronger than his nighttime ones, leading to the following trend: the "under" is 6-2 in games in which Bubic starts during the day.

Moreover, Bubic looks reliable today because he matches up well against Ray batters.

A lefty, he throws a fastball, changeup, and curveball.

Tampa Bay, however, ranks 23rd in slugging against these pitches from lefties.

Who Starts for Tampa Bay?

Drew Rasmussen starts for Tampa Bay today.

Pertinently to my favorite play for this game, the "under" has hit in each of his last three starts.

Perhaps more impressively, the "under" is 5-0-1 in day games in which he starts.

Strong Form

Rasmussen's strong current form contributes to his ongoing "under" trend.

He has allowed a combined total of two earned runs in his last three games.

Even Toronto, which ranks sixth in runs per game, was no match for him.

Rasmussen vs. Royal Batters

Rasmussen faces a soft test today.

More critical than the fact of Kansas City's low runs per game average is the reality that he matches up well against Royal batters.

They rank well below average against his favorite pitches from righties.

Chicago White Sox vs. Cleveland Guardians
Saturday, August 20, 2022 at 6:10 p.m. ET at Progressive Field in Cleveland

Who Starts for Chicago?

Johnny Cueto starts for Chicago today.

As heat maps show, Cueto is doggedly determined to avoid the middle parts of the strike zone.

Part of what saves him from yielding a high walk rate is the rate at which he induces batters to chase his pitches out of the strike zone.

A promising fact for the Guardians today is that, in his one previous start against them this year, they did a better job than any other lineup at not chasing his pitches.

Cueto vs. Guardian Batters

More decisively, Guardian batters look reliable today because they match up well against Cueto's variety of pitches.

They rank ninth in slugging against these pitches from righties.

Who Starts for Cleveland?

Cleveland starts Shane Bieber today.

Bieber always loves to face the White Sox in Cleveland where he always thrives against them.

This year, he has allowed two earned runs in 15 innings against them in Cleveland.

Last year, he allowed two earned runs against them in 10 innings in Cleveland.

The list continues, and it's an unsurprising list for a quality righty to accomplish against a squad that strongly prefers facing lefty pitching.

St. Louis Cardinals vs. Arizona Diamondbacks
Saturday, August 20, 2022 at 8:10 p.m. ET at Chase Field in Phoenix

Who Starts for St. Louis?

Dakota Hudson starts for the Cardinals tonight.

Very unequivocally, he is a ground-ball inducing pitcher.

This fact is important because Arizona's slugging rate is far worse against this type of pitcher than against fly ball-inducing pitchers.

Who Starts for Arizona?

Madison Bumgarner starts for the Diamondbacks tonight.

At the moment, Bumgarner is struggling mightily to prevent runs from being scored.

He has a combined total of 11 runs in his past two games.

Bumgarner vs. Cardinal Batters

It will be tough for him to find more success against a Cardinal lineup that ranks fifth against his pitches from lefties.

Winners of five in a row, streaking St. Louis is already running over everyone in its path.

Best Bet: Parlay Royals/Rays Under 7 at -102, Guardians RL at +135, Cardinals RL at +120 at +924 odds with BetOnline

Agree with you bout Bubic, I cashed several of his k props as books took a minute to adjust to him being a much better pitcher than the numbers suggest. I thought they had caught up and made it 5,5 today, dunno if I saw that last night or was seeing things??” Lol. Cause now his k prop is 4.5 -140 to the over, that feels like a pretty good play to me, he has fanned at least 5 in 3 straight and in 6 of last 8. Tampa lineup has plenty of swing and miss so think they came a k short here!!

Has Hudson ever pitched In zona? Im always a little sketchy bout guys who havnt pitched there before. Hudson makes me skittish pretty much everywhere so adding the dry air where some pitchers complain about their ability to grip the ball makes me even more nervous considering lack of control is generally how he gets into trouble (he has walked 6 ppl in 9 innings in his 2 starts this month!).

I was incredibly disappointed in cards offense last night, they got to see a mediocre lhp who throws over 50% 91-92 mph 4 seamers and he pretty much dominated them! Now they get to see another lhp today and think his name is only thing not mediocre about him! I believe cards are gonna have to score a decent amount of runs to win today, agree laying the -1.5 better than ml but think I lean more to the over if I was gonna make a play in this game.

Back