Rose Bowl for the Winter Classic in 2010?

Santacapper

Pretty much a regular
The Las Vegas Strip, Yankee Stadium and the Rose Bowl are on the list of potential sites for the NHL's annual outdoor game, NHL chief operating officer John Collins said Wednesday.
Also included on the radar are venues in Washington, Detroit and Boston.
"This is really kind of becoming a destination event for hockey fans, but also sports fans," Collins told Bloomberg News. "We want to open it up to the masses."
The league is already evaluating potential locations of outdoor games after the Winter Classic between the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks on Jan. 1 at Wrigley Field drew the highest TV ratings for the NHL in 34 years.
"Of course, New York would be high on the list," Collins said. "But we also think Boston could be a really special market, and Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Denver, Montreal and Toronto. There are so many different places."
Collins added that cities interested in hosting the outdoor game would have to bid for the rights, the same process the NFL uses for the Super Bowl.

nothing against the WC markets other than they cant sell out the arena's they play... but come on... there are sooooo many other markets to go to first.

Kind of takes the 'winter' out of the game when there is sun and not a snowflake on the ground

Must be hard to make ice too...

agreed

Keep it in cold weather venues...even if those cities dont have hockey teams.

Milwaukee-Green Bay
Maybe have a Home and Home between the Blackhawks and the Wild

I think Colorado would be fun at Mile high that hasnt been mentioned.

Avs / Wings rivalry or something...

I dont know why a Montreal / Toronto game isnt proposed, although the outdoor venues are limited but those tix would fetch some big bucks.

Milwaukee-Green Bay
Maybe have a Home and Home between the Blackhawks and the Wild

would definitely have to be a home and home with the scheduling...

Heck, having a game at a college football stadium would be sweet too

I just hope NHL doesn't blow this.

I would like to see them get away from New Year Day too.

How about a doubleheader the day of the all-star game...................

Real game @ 1pm, all star game at 5 pm ( and broadcast all star game on reply screens at outdoor venues )

ya i was hearing boston-new york at yankee stadium. but they might hold out boston a few years til fenways 100 year anniv. or something stupid and play them vs. montreal.

west coast shouldnt be involved yet i dont think, and i dont think the nhl would have two teams from canada, because they sellout every game as it is. this is a ploy to draw more fans from the us.

i think avs/wings at mile high is a great idea, but wings were this year. they will be out of the running for a few years i would guess. they had pitt two years ago so i dont think they can use crosby and malkin again next year. ovechkin will be very soon so how about a philly/caps game at happy valley. i think that game would draw very well.

im still holding out hope that its b's/rangers at yankee stadium or b's/habs at fenway, and while rumors were swirling that these were the main choices, it doesnt seem that way anymore.

Rangers-Islanders at Giants Stadium or Rangers-Devils would be cool

rangers-devils is a good possibility too. but rangers-isles wont happen. one reason is because that mainly is attactive to the new york market, where the nhl wants this thing to be an event for the league. another is that the isles are terrible.

gotta market the stars / marketable teams... I dont think they will worry too much if they need to put Sidney or Ovechkin in every year.

Tavares next year... this league will be back to the way it was soon, as long as Bettman keeps his rat face out of it and lets the stars be stars

Back