Rory McIlroy Season May Be Done

get those Speith odds in now. I had a rapture ligament and it fucking blows, however unlike him I don't have access to world class doctors and healthcare. Will he be ready for British Open....no fucking way. This isn't a bone their repairing, he probably wished he had broken a bone then rapturing an tendon or ligament.

get those Speith odds in now. I had a rapture ligament and it fucking blows, however unlike him I don't have access to world class doctors and healthcare. Will he be ready for British Open....no fucking way. This isn't a bone their repairing, he probably wished he had broken a bone then rapturing an tendon or ligament.
yep, I think it's better for him to shut it down and not rush back the ankle isn't to be efffed with

yep, I think it's better for him to shut it down and not rush back the ankle isn't to be efffed with

100% he's still very very! Lots of time often we see athletes rush through their injuries and it fucks them over the next 10 years.

Read online that his people say there is a 10% chance he misses St Andrews. Maybe it's not as bad as it sounds

I would agree with that, he'll wear a brace and deal with some pain

But St Andrews can be played on one leg by some of these guys

Read online that his people say there is a 10% chance he misses St Andrews. Maybe it's not as bad as it sounds

very interesting to hear, as a full tear of your ligament means instability and requires surgery so it won't heal it self like most ankle injuries and recovery time after surgery varies but reading what regular people go through post-op is about 10 weeks to recover (spling, cast, boot etc.) obviously not a surgeon or doctor but I dont' know he can turn around a full tear before the open..and if he is playing the open I will look to fade him on individual matchups...

also it's his front leg (left leg) so it's the leg he will have to bear his weight through impact and follow through, crappy feeling when that's unstable when you're golfing.

Yikes!! I don't say this about many things but that sounds like the end of the world

very interesting to hear, as a full tear of your ligament means instability and requires surgery so it won't heal it self like most ankle injuries and recovery time after surgery varies but reading what regular people go through post-op is about 10 weeks to recover (spling, cast, boot etc.) obviously not a surgeon or doctor but I dont' know he can turn around a full tear before the open..and if he is playing the open I will look to fade him on individual matchups...

Listening to a Dr on Golf Channel right now. Haven't heard him mention surgery. I learned a long time ago that what a patient says he has, and what a patient actually has, are usually very different. Rory may have been embellishing when he says complete tear

I would imagine if he had a complete tear he wouldn't be posting a pic in a boot, he'd be in a hospital

Listening to a Dr on Golf Channel right now. Haven't heard him mention surgery. I learned a long time ago that what a patient says he has, and what a patient actually has, are usually very different. Rory may have been embellishing when he says complete tear

I would imagine if he had a complete tear he wouldn't be posting a pic in a boot, he'd be in a hospital

I'm just going by the article, but i'm assuming once he got hurt he went to the hospital and they put him in the boot to secure the ligament. Can definitely see him embellishing it and maybe there's stuff on the channel right now that isn't in the article but if he is right in saying "McIlroy announced Monday that he suffered a total rupture of his ATFL" then going to be hard to see him playing the British, IMO

did they give an updated timeline other than end of week to hear what he will be doing?

Yikes!! I don't say this about many things but that sounds like the end of the world

Hahaha I just noticed that :-P It was pretty much the end for me actually!
I had so much scar tissue from years of basketball ankle injuries and this one just finally gave in. For the longest time the docs just would not give a proper diagnosis. They treated it as a mild sprain but it was definitely a lot worse than that.

I had my annual week to 10 days off in basketball as well, think scar tissue actually has strengthened it at this point

well at my age my mobility has been compromised by more than scar tissue but I was able to play and move pretty well for years without the ankle issue, and it was pretty much annual for 15 years or so

I don't think he'll even miss the open. Golf is a different game than most sports. Hell, in 1996 a guy was hit by a car during the final round of the tour championship and still went on to win the whole thing

Wonder if Rory would feel any pressure to play through it because of Tiger in '08, and to a lesser extent, Jason Day last month at Chambers? Not that it would be a smart move, but the ones who want to be great are keenly aware of what the other great ones did. Tiger's win at Torrey is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen on the golf course, and maybe this is Rory's chance to do something similar

does anyone know if it's against the rules to wear any kind of brace while Playing? Seems like I heard that when Tiger was playing on 1 leg

No way he plays. I suppose he could try and gimp along and hop the course, and it's just golf, but that's a pretty bad injury. He's not going to win it if he can't plant his leg, right? I think Tiger's was a matter of pain tolerance. This is a flimsy ankle.

Rip up my Rory futures bet...

had 20-1 on winning 2 majors. I know that sounds dumb now but even though Jordan won the first two there is no doubt in my mind Rory was winning at St Andrews setting up some fun for Whistling Straits...

does anyone know if it's against the rules to wear any kind of brace while Playing? Seems like I heard that when Tiger was playing on 1 leg

Rule 14-3: A player is not in breach of this Rule if (a) the equipment or device is designed for or has the effect of alleviating a medical condition, (b) the player has a legitimate medical reason to use the equipment or device, and (c) the Committee is satisfied that its use does not give the player any undue advantage over other players.

• Decision 14-3/7 rules that although a player may wear an elastic bandage for medical purposes they must not insert their thumb under the bandage, as such an action would constitute use of equipment in an unusual manner.
  • Decision 14-3/8 rules that the use of adhesive tape, or similar coverings of the hand, for any medical reasons, e.g., to reduce blisters or to eliminate the possibility of skin splits between the fingers, is permitted. However, if the tape is used solely to aid the player in gripping the club (e.g., it is used to bind two fingers together), the player is in breach of Rule 14-3, as such use of tape is the use of equipment in an unusual manner.
  • Decision 14-3/13 rules that golfers who suffer from cold hands may use a hand warmer, even though it is an artificial device, because its use to warm the hands is traditionally accepted. However, it may not be used to purposely warm a golf ball during a stipulated round (Decision 14-3/13.5).
  • Decision 14-3/15 rules that a player who has a legitimate medical reason to wear an artificial limb may wear it to play competitive golf, even if the limb has been modified to aid them in playing the game. However, the Committee must be satisfied that the artificial limb does not give the player any undue advantage over other players.

No way he plays. I suppose he could try and gimp along and hop the course, and it's just golf, but that's a pretty bad injury. He's not going to win it if he can't plant his leg, right? I think Tiger's was a matter of pain tolerance. This is a flimsy ankle.

yea, it's his left leg and that's where you put a lot of the weight on impact and follow through, but it was mentioned before that it could be embellishment...however im sure he went to the hospital and they looked it when he got hurt.

yea, it's his left leg and that's where you put a lot of the weight on impact and follow through, but it was mentioned before that it could be embellishment...however im sure he went to the hospital and they looked it when he got hurt.

Even though he went to hospital right after, it was likely too swollen for a proper diagnosis. Once the swelling goes down and they can read an mri if they need on, he'll know more. Doubt he'll release any news until he is forced to WD or play

Back