Romo as an announcer

I think there truth to this, at the beginning I thought his ability to recognize formation and know what was coming was impressive, he still really good at that but there other things that have gotten so damn annoying. How can every pass be perfect? Even the off target ones, as in “that pass was perfect except for being a foot out of bounds”, or “what a perfect throw that got intercepted”, there should be a drinking game based off how many times he calls a bad throw perfect or how amazing a play that didn’t work was. I’d still rather hear him than Greg Olson who shockingly some ppl appear to like, I think he sucks, no clue how cheap ya gotta be for him to be your A team?

I wish American sports would have their commentators model the Premiere League guys who are intelligent, insightful, and educate you on the game. Instead we get force-fed all these loudmouth, blabbermouth idiots like Gus Johnson, Romo, and Dick Vitale who replace substance with cheap, redundant, excessive exclamations

I wish American sports would have their commentators model the Premiere League guys who are intelligent, insightful, and educate you on the game. Instead we get force-fed all these loudmouth, blabbermouth idiots like Gus Johnson, Romo, and Dick Vitale who replace substance with cheap, redundant, excessive exclamations

I agree soccer seems to have way better ppl. I think the only decent ones we got are for baseball, smoltz is really good, lot of local baseball decent, I don’t get nearly as annoyed during baseball broadcast. Speaking of which I don’t even know who doing cardinals tv now, did you hear our local guy got canned for getting a dui? Radio hasn’t been the same since Jack buck died, Shannon so drunk he slurring bad by 4th inning, lol, luckily he been doing less and less games past few years.

I agree soccer seems to have way better ppl. I think the only decent ones we got are for baseball, smoltz is really good, lot of local baseball decent, I don’t get nearly as annoyed during baseball broadcast. Speaking of which I don’t even know who doing cardinals tv now, did you hear our local guy got canned for getting a dui? Radio hasn’t been the same since Jack buck died, Shannon so drunk he slurring bad by 4th inning, lol, luckily he been doing less and less games past few years.

You now have Chip Carey, Harry's grandson. He's terrible.

Huge difference when there are massive pauses in games like football and baseball, even basketball with timeouts so frequent. These broadcasts have a ton of non-action time that they need to fill with analysts who can also come across as entertaining to use that space. It's a very difficult thing to do, to appease so many people.

Romo's just another in a long line who simply can't do it without sounding redundant. Like Bank said, Smoltz is incredibly polished at it, only I can think of locally was Mark Grace who was awesome, then he got in the DUI trouble and got replaced. Really difficult to find people who are enjoyable to listen to during all the dead air time we have in these sports.

You now have Chip Carey, Harry's grandson. He's terrible.

Lol. Awesome! That sucks, I was pissed when I heard Danny mac got let go just for a DUI, TLR had how many? Local hero of the rangers World Series David freeze has like 10 of them and nobody cared! Guess they pick and choose who ok to act a fool and who isn’t: the guy screwed up it happens, doesn’t mean he should lose his job, god knows they make you go thru enough garbage when you get a dui, that punishment enough.

Huge difference when there are massive pauses in games like football and baseball, even basketball with timeouts so frequent. These broadcasts have a ton of non-action time that they need to fill with analysts who can also come across as entertaining to use that space. It's a very difficult thing to do, to appease so many people.

Romo's just another in a long line who simply can't do it without sounding redundant. Like Bank said, Smoltz is incredibly polished at it, only I can think of locally was Mark Grace who was awesome, then he got in the DUI trouble and got replaced. Really difficult to find people who are enjoyable to listen to during all the dead air time we have in these sports.

What’s up with being fired for dui? Isn’t the massive load of shit they make you go thru after one of those punishment enough? Seems pretty ignorant to take away a persons means of employment.. I mean if it a former player he prob not strapped for money but I doubt our local play by play guy can live rest his life without a job.

Reactions: KJ
What’s up with being fired for dui? Isn’t the massive load of shit they make you go thru after one of those punishment enough?
Well with Grace it goes deeper, he already had one and had the breathalyzer in his car, got busted a 2nd time with the machine being disconnected lol. He actually had to do 4 months at tent city with daily work release, but still. He's been hired back, think he does pregame/postgame stuff now. They initially made him a manager of a lower level team but think that got scrapped when the minors were canceled in 2020

He and Greg Olsen talk too fucking much. I understand that’s your job, but just slow down every once in a while and breathe.

I was shocked to hear so many guys seem to like Olson, I think he is regional coverage guy at best, him being the Fox A team is comical and depressing to me he now doing all the biggest games. I can’t believe some woke wonans group letting him keep that job considering the rap he did in college with all the canes bragging bout smashing all the Miami ass, lol. Guys have gotten let go for saying far less 20 years ago than he said in that song!

If it a choice between Olsen or romo even tho romo has gotten annoying I still rather have him doing the game. Still take romo over collinsworth who I can’t stand. Kj right tho, it a difficult job, I’m sure I couldn’t do better, of course I’d have to be on delay and every 3rd word would be getting bleeped out! Lol

To be clear at the time I thought the canes rap was awesome back in day when I heard it, I don’t think anyone should have to deal w getting canned for shit they did or said 20 years ago, just that it happens all the time these days.

I think Olsen is perfectly fine doing Carolina-Arizona in the 4:05 slot or the west coast 4:20 game, but on the big stage he just doesn't resonate. The Super Bowl will be interesting to see if he and Burkhardt can raise their game. Romo and Nantz had a terrible broadcast last Sunday unfortunately. They completely missed the clock snafu as it was happening (even I mentioned it in the in-game), and then thought the Chiefs O was coming back to go for it on what they thought was fourth down. There should've been ample criticism of the refs on that and they basically covered for them.

I think Olsen is perfectly fine doing Carolina-Arizona in the 4:05 slot or the west coast 4:20 game, but on the big stage he just doesn't resonate. The Super Bowl will be interesting to see if he and Burkhardt can raise their game. Romo and Nantz had a terrible broadcast last Sunday unfortunately. They completely missed the clock snafu as it was happening (even I mentioned it in the in-game), and then thought the Chiefs O was coming back to go for it on what they thought was fourth down. There should've been ample criticism of the refs on that and they basically covered for them.

The radio guys were also confused on the 3rd 4th thing

Definitely agree.

I was shocked to hear so many guys seem to like Olson, I think he is regional coverage guy at best, him being the Fox A team is comical and depressing to me he now doing all the biggest games. I can’t believe some woke wonans group letting him keep that job considering the rap he did in college with all the canes bragging bout smashing all the Miami ass, lol. Guys have gotten let go for saying far less 20 years ago than he said in that song!

I can’t agree with someone more than this regarding Olsen! He’s lucky to be a regional fox guy covering the third most popular 4pm game.

I normally hate all things Cowboy related, but I actually really enjoy Romo as an announcer.
Anyone have any insight into this “decline?”

Romo's decline? He rests on his laurels of the past and is woefully unprepared. "Big players make big plays, Jim!" shouldn't be the crux of insightful analysis as an NFL color guy.

All color guys should look at Klatt. He's just so good, in so many respects.

Romo's decline? He rests on his laurels of the past and is woefully unprepared. "Big players make big plays, Jim!" shouldn't be the crux of insightful analysis as an NFL color guy.

All color guys should look at Klatt. He's just so good, in so many respects.
I think he ends up taking over for Herbie at some point, he's very polished and never sounds overly rehearsed

Dang. Looks like I’m in the far minority here. Or maybe I just haven’t been paying close enough attention to him?

Dang. Looks like I’m in the far minority here. Or maybe I just haven’t been paying close enough attention to him?

He has def gotten worse (romo that is), at 1st I thought he was really good, I think most did, he was awful last Sunday.

He's become an excited kid calling big games

The number of perfect passes that have been too long, too short, too wide has become a real problem

Ok. I’m beginning to think I just haven’t been paying close enough attention to him. Not surprising as I know my mind has been preoccupied.

Back