Rolando McClain "Retires"

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
[h=1]Ravens' Rolando McClain retires[/h]
Updated: May 15, 2013, 3:58 PM ET
<cite class="source" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent; font-style: normal; line-height: 14px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(153, 153, 153); display: block; overflow: hidden;">By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com</cite>

[h=5]Troubled LB Rolando McClain Retires[/h]ESPN.com AFC North blogger Jamison Hensley reacts to the news that Ravens LB Rolando McClain has retired at the age of 23.Tags: Rolando McClain, Oakland Raiders, Baltimore Ravens, Jamison Hensley, Retire

Middle linebacker Rolando McClain is retiring from the NFL at the age of 23, less than a month after signing a one-year contract with the Baltimore Ravens, general manager Ozzie Newsome announced Wednesday.
[h=4]Hensley: McClain Quit[/h]
hensley_jamison_m.jpg
Rolando McClain can say he's retiring, but when a 23-year-old walks away, it's quitting, Jamison Hensley writes. Blog

McClain was signed on April 12 as the potential replacement for Ray Lewis but was arrested 10 days later in his hometown of Decatur, Ala., for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. This was the third arrest in 11 months for the former first-round pick by the Oakland Raiders.
He was previously charged in a 2011 shooting, and police arrested him in January on charges of having his car windows tinted too darkly and trying to lie about his identity. McClain was sentenced to jail on an assault charge after the shooting, but prosecutors later dismissed the case.
A city judge dismissed the January charge against McClain of trying to lie about his identity. He pleaded guilty to the window tint violation and paid a $182 fine. He is scheduled for July 9 court date for his latest arrest. The Ravens had been noncommittal about McClain's future with the team.
"Rolando let me know that he plans to retire from the NFL," Newsome said. "We have placed him on the Reserve/Retired list."
McClain's spot on the team seemed to be in jeopardy after the Ravens moved up in the second round to draft Arthur Brown.
The eighth overall pick of the 2010 draft, McClain finishes his NFL career with 274 tackles (195 solo), 6.5 sacks, one interception, one forced fumble and 23 passes defended in 41 career games with Oakland.

He will be broke, in jail or dead by the end of next year. Probably all of the above. At worst he is begging a team to pick him up next year when he is broke..

BTW he was one of the greatest talents i have seen in a long time in college.

Some people just are not at all ready to be given a lot of money and have no supervision.

So what does this guy do now? I don't get it with some people. Agree with you guys, his future doesn't look bright.

For the 2009 season, McClain had 105 total tackles including 14.5 tackles for loss. He also had four sacks, fourteen quarterback hurries, two interceptions, three passes broken up, and a forced fumble. He was named Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) National Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against the Kentucky Wildcats in early October.[SUP][12][/SUP] Following the SEC Championship Game, Rolando was named SEC Defensive Player of the Year, and a first-team All-SEC selection.
On December 7, 2009, McClain was announced as the winner of the 2009 Lambert Award for the best collegiate linebacker.[SUP][13][/SUP] He is the first Alabama linebacker to win the Lambert Award since its inception in 1991. A day later, he was also awarded the 2009 Dick Butkus Award, being only the second Crimson Tide player to do so (along with Derrick Thomas in 1988).[SUP][14][/SUP] He was recognized a unanimous first-team All-American, after being named to the first teams of the American Football Coaches Association, Associated Press, Football Writers Association of America, Sporting News, and Walter Camp Football Foundation.[SUP][15][/SUP][SUP][16][/SUP]
On January 11, 2010, several days after winning the BCS National Championship, McClain decided to forgo his senior year at Alabama and enter the NFL draft

A monster!

Which Tuscaloosa area dealership does he end up as an employee?
LOL. I'm trying to figure out what this guy is going to do. Home depot? Fetching carts at the local grocery store? You got signed to a 1 year contract to play for the Ravens and you say fuck it, I want to retire. At 23 years old!!!

LOL. I'm trying to figure out what this guy is going to do. Home depot? Fetching carts at the local grocery store? You got signed to a 1 year contract to play for the Ravens and you say fuck it, I want to retire. At 23 years old!!!

Off subject, but there needs to be more grocery cart fetching folks in the world. Too many of them just hang around the parking lots of you name the place.

Or people could just stop being lazy assholes that think the world revolves around them and you know, actually make the 20 foot walk to the cart corral and return it themselves. What a utopia that'd be!

Rolando McClain said in a statement Thursday that he loves playing football but he decided to retire to get his personal life in order and "God willing," he might play in the NFL again.

The Baltimore Ravens, who signed McClain in April after he was released by the Oakland Raiders, announced Wednesday that the linebacker had decided to retire at the age of 23.

More From ESPN.com
Rolando McClain's statement was the first admission that something is wrong in the ex-first-round pick's life, writes Jamison Hensley. Blog

"Clearly, my decision to retire has raised some questions. Quite simply, I love football, but I have decided at this time it is in my best interest to focus on getting my personal life together," McClain said in the statement.

"Beyond that, I'm not sure what the future holds for me, including football. This was entirely my decision and the Ravens have been very supportive during this process. I am very grateful for the opportunity they gave me and wish them the best of luck in the future. God willing, maybe I'll play for them one day."

Ten days after signing with the Ravens, McClain was arrested in his hometown of Decatur, Ala., and charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. He is scheduled for a July 9 court date.

It was the third time McClain has been arrested in Decatur since 2011. He was charged in a 2011 shooting, and police arrested him in January on charges of having his car windows tinted too dark and trying to lie about his identity.

McClain was sentenced to jail on an assault charge after the shooting, but prosecutors later dismissed the case.

A city judge dismissed the January charge against McClain of trying to lie about his identity. He pleaded guilty to the window tint violation and paid a $182 fine.

Before joining the Ravens, McClain spent his first three NFL seasons with the Raiders, who selected him eighth overall in the 2010 draft out of Alabama.

In 41 games with Oakland he had 274 tackles, 6½ sacks and one interception. In his final season, he was suspended for two games for conduct detrimental to the team.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Or people could just stop being lazy assholes that think the world revolves around them and you know, actually make the 20 foot walk to the cart corral and return it themselves. What a utopia that'd be!

True, but that's not the world we live in.

Back