Rod's TNT NBA Thursday

rod_steel

Have an adequate day
My main interest lies in the second of the two games tonight.

Bulls @ Suns

Stating the obvious but not much is going right for the Bulls at the moment. Starting the season 1-5 is bad enough and they start their first West coast trip of the season off the bacfk of a 30 point hiding by Raptors. There are so many deficiencies in this team right now: the lack of a scoring post position threat, their top 3 shooters Deng, Hinrich and Gordon suffering a case of the shooting funk and then of course the constant trade rumours which seemingly have the players distracted.

Therefore I am probably crazy when I say this spot tonight against the Suns is the perfect tonic to temporarily rectify aspects of the above.

- They are on the road, away from some of the distractions they faced at home and the pressure from their home fans. I can't imagine anything worse for the Bulls players to hear their own crowd chant for Kobe and booing them for their atrocious play at home.
- They matchup very well to this Suns team as shown last season because of their athleticism in the backcourt giving them just the drive to run 'n gun if need be and are a very good perimter shooting team as lets not forget this team was second in 3 point shooting last season (it's just a case of their shooters currently not hitting their shots at the moment)
- Deng, Hinrich and Gordon are all concurrently in shooting slumps but against a Suns team that we all know plays no defense and happy to open up the floor should provide all 3 ample opportunity to get their shooting mojos back. The opposition's best defender Bell should play tonight for the Suns but I suspect he may be a step short tonight as he is still recovering from a sprained right ankle. Consequently all 3 Bulls shooters should not be too restricted by any kind of perimter defense.

I never like fading my boys but tonight going to make an exception. Frankly it's not like the Suns have really set the league on fire as yet, a lot of their play has been lethargic especially on offense.

Bulls +8.5 over Suns (3)

Spurs @ Mavs

I have this agreement with my local. Whenever the Spurs are listed as dogs he pulls the trigger on my behalf. I'm always hesitant backing the Spurs before the All-Star break as historically they sleep walk their way through the early part of the season. However their start to this season shows me things may changed and there definitely does not appear to be any championship hangover. Spurs have been shooting the ball as well as they have ever been through the first 8 games and are stingy as ever defensively. Finley certainly needs to pick up his game but Manu's play has somewhat covered for him so far this season.

Whilst you could argue that on paper both these teams are quite evenly matched, especially considering the Mavs' stellar home record over the past couple of seasons how do you not take the best team in the league as dogs in this scenario? In any 50/50 game in any sport I'll always take the points. It's in the gambling 101 manual.

Spurs +2.5 over Mavs (2)

Sorry just to clarify as pointed out to me in the garbage site

To me the Spurs/Mavs should have been a straight pk even factoring in the home court advantage I say this one is 50/50.

Wouldnt there be better value on the Spurs ML? If the Spurs are going to cover the +2.5, more than likely they win SU.

Any thoughts on the total for the Suns game?

Wouldnt there be better value on the Spurs ML? If the Spurs are going to cover the +2.5, more than likely they win SU.

Any thoughts on the total for the Suns game?

You're right but I get burnt in the past too many times not taking the points even when we are dealing with one basket.

I would lean under in the late game but that's just a gut feel.

BOL rod. Like the Spurs play, but dallas always takes it from them and spurs turn it up after the allstar break.

Oh, on a side not, one of my buddies would like to say "thanks" for that memphis ML play against the rockets. He had a teaser that night and had the rockets +.5 as one of them. I told him that a good capper was on the ML memphis. He got a little worried and took Memphis ML to cover his ass.

Thanks guys good luck to you all tonight. I'm not one to be a suck up or ass kisser as those who know me well. I tend to keep to myself but I have to say it's refreshing to be able to post plays in a forum without having to be bothered about smart ass one liners from jackasses who want to stir shit for no reason. I'm seriously considering just posting my plays at CTG from now on, getting tired with the continual BS I have to put up with on other sites I post on.

Now that my rant is over going to add the total in the early game, I think it has hit its peak:

u188.5 Mavs v Spurs (1)

GL tonight Rod.

Just for the record I tried to think of a smart ass one liner to say for a few seconds and gave up. Not nearly as witty as I used to be.

Rod sine you seem to know a lot about phoenix, my question for you is this. Why such the sluggish start by phoenix this year (well by suns standards anyways)?

Took it up the ass tonight, tough night for them dogs on TNT.

Congrats to the Mavs/Suns backers

Will get 'em tomorrow

Rod sine you seem to know a lot about phoenix, my question for you is this. Why such the sluggish start by phoenix this year (well by suns standards anyways)?

I think the fact that this is now their 3rd different starting 5 in 3 seasons is one main reason + another change in their bench. Also Hill trying to figure his place in this team (i.e. his role is not to jack the 3 ball but to slash it into the hoop)

They are still winning games I guess but probably not as smoothly on offense than expected by most. Like all teams they can improve which is the upside.

Back