Rod's NBA Wednesday

rod_steel

Have an adequate day
The game that interests me the most tonight is the one between the Pacers and the Wizards.

There is a sense of retrbution with the Pacers attitude during preseason and comments made by the players, coach O'Brien and Bird in the leadup to their home opener. This is the first season since 2001 where they will not have two of their troublemakers in Artest and Jackson, they are starting with a clean slate and Bird is seemingly proactive in cleaning up the Pacers checkered off court image of the past.

In terms of the roster, on face value it looks weak especially considering the big moves made by many of the other Eastern Conference teams. Outside both O'Neal and Tinsley this team has been built largely around role players. However O'Brien has a history of turning around struggling clubs, Sixers and Celtics a case in point and his style of coaching which places emphasis more on a free flowing style departing from the half court game the Pacers have been using for much of this decade should suit Tinsley to a tee well so he says,

“I don’t think that he has necessarily played the type of offensive basketball that has allowed him to play at his best, i’m anxious to get him out there, anxious to get him in the flow the way I envision our offense being.”

Whilst the Wizards may have the more talented roster, what are they doing laying points on the road? Their record last season was built largely off their dominant play at the Verizon, especially before the All Star break. Also with the offensive lisence handed to him, I don't expect the Arenas-Tinsely matchup to be as one sided as the one last season where Arenas torched him, Tinsley will slash to the basket at every opportunity IMO thereby forcing Arenas to work hard on defense.

Whilst I think the Pacers will still struggle to make the playoffs, don't think they will be as bad as what many think. Possibly be vying for the 8th spot come season's end. Retirbution starts tonight in an up and down type game IMO:

Pacers +2.5 over Wizards (2)

o203 Pacers v Wizards (1)

I created a thread over on the other site outlining why betting on Seattle "OVER" early in the season could be a very fruitful exercise given the style of coaching on the sidelines for them this season. The total of 217 has been set as such for a reason. I'll see if I can dig it up and post it in here.

i like your thinking here Rod, I am also a little wary about this Wiz team. Pacers could pull in a little suprise when people least expect. Good Luck on the season!

Thanks and GL tonight gents. Just my thoughts on why Seattle may be an overs team early in the season:

I was very interested to read that the Sonics completed their coaching roster this season by luring Paul Westhead from the head coaching job of the 2007 WNBA champions and lock him up as the assistant coach of the Sonics

This guy preaches a fast tempo style of game, demanding the backcourt to push the ball up court quickly and get a quick release on offense. Seen it during his time at Loyola Marymount and more recently with the Mercury in the WNBA.

Given the youth in this team, the Sonics are well placed to adhere to his philosophy and consequently will be a fastbreak points scoring machine with Ridnour, Watson and West benefiting under such a system.

2007/08 Sonics + Paul Ball = OVER

If preseason is anything to go by where they are averaging 8 points more than the opponents on fast break points get ready to cash on the overs early in the season before Vegas adjusts accordingly.

Should see both teams toss it up tonight so with nothing else on I'll have a ping at it for a bit of excitment.

o217 Nuggets v Sonics (1)

Sonics ML over Nuggets - (+633) (0.25)

good luck

Back